Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria (7580 Views)

Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / List Of Private Universities In Nigeria And Their School Fees / Private Education And Nigeria's Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 2:33am On Jun 04, 2011
I wanted to share this rather worrying article I read recently and find out your reactions:

[/quote]
Nigeria: Ondo - Mission to Close Mushroom Schools
Adewale Giwa
2 June 2011
Akure — One of the problems being faced by the present administration in Ondo State in the education sector is proliferation of private nursery and primary schools. The schools which are substandard spring up on a daily basis especially in remote areas. Oftentimes, these schools are sited in unhygienic environments that is not conducive for learning.

On March 17, 2010 a group of students from Arisent Nursery and Primary school embarked on excursion to Idanre town to catch a glimpse of the popular Idanre hills. The students numbering over 20 never returned home as they perished in an auto crash. Investigations carried out after the unfortunate incident revealed that the school never registered with the state Ministry of Education.

This incident further compelled Ondo State government to take decisive action over the activities of mushroom private schools. Till date, no fewer than 30 substandard nursery and primary schools have been shut down.
To ensure that more perpetrators are discovered, the ministry set up a committee in the 18 local councils in the state to comb the interiors, where most of these schools are sited.

In some cases, the ministry went to the extent of arresting some proprietors who operate these schools. In November 2010, the state Commissioner for Education Pius Osunyikanmi ordered the immediate arrest of the proprietor of a private school, Prince of Peace Nursery and Primary School, Agalu Street, Ore, Odigbo Local Government Area of the State for operating below standard.
The commissioner, who gave the order while visiting private schools in Odigbo metropolis, also directed that the school be closed down.
Osunyikanmi said the state government was not pleased with the activities of mushroom private schools which, he noted, have reduced the quality of education in the state.
He said government would not fold its arms and allow some unscrupulous elements to jeopardize the future of innocent children.
His words: "One of the tragedies of the collapse of our public education system in the state is the resurgence and the proliferation of private schools and a number of them are one shop schools always masquerading under the name 'international' and they are usually run by people of questionable character. Others are by people without any relationship with education in the first instance.
"I have had cause to close down about eight schools in the first four weeks of my assumption of duty. There are criteria that private education operators must fulfill before they are registered to operate."
However, the proliferation of private schools is not thriving without the connivance of some Ministry of Education officials. These officials are bribed by the proprietors to overlook some of their lalog where I have one some analysis:pses.
Osunyikanmi agreed that over the years, there had been internal connivance on the part of ministry officials, some of those who give licenses without recourse to standard.

According to him, government has re-emphasized on the standard criteria that private school owners must meet before they are registered.
He added that private schools are in the excess of 1,800 and those not known to the ministry, operating illegally, are twice that number.
His words: "In other words we will be talking of 4,000 private schools in Ondo State with a population of 3.5 million, this is unacceptable because in terms of the standard, nobody can vouch for the integrity of the education that they render."
The ministry is also faced with the high rate of examination malpractices in private schools. Most of the schools are referred to as "miracle centres."
Parents are always ready to pay any amount to these miracle centres to ensure that their wards pass their results in one sitting. They pay between N40,000 to N100,000 to aid this illegal action.
Infuriated by this act, the state governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko announced the closure of over seven 'miracle centres' to stem the tide in the state. The schools were barred from conducting WAEC and NECO examinations.
The commissioner said, "the government has zero tolerance for 'miracle centres' and examination malpractices. We cannot fold our hands to allow 'miracle centres' to affect our education standard.
"It won't be business as usual, all private school owners must meet minimum standards, unemployment goes with school closure, but half baked products go with 'miracle centres' and most products of 'miracle centres' cannot cope in tertiary institutions."

[quote]

Please read my blog where I have done some analysis:

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 6:51pm On Jun 11, 2011
101 views but no response yet? The future of our country largely depends on a sound educational system and that is why I'm doing my bit to blog about it and share my little experience as an educational professional. So please make a contribution when you drop in on this thread and we can  hopefully engage constructively for the best way forward.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:28pm On Jun 11, 2011
It's a stupid article. Private education is not the problem; the problem is the corruption in WAEC.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by monkeyleg: 8:02pm On Jun 11, 2011
WAEC has it's part to play, but Central government must take majority of the blame. It is just like every other thing in that country. What is so wrong with setting up a regulatory body to police and govern education. A central vision whereby schools are regularly inspected before they open and while they are run. whoever applies to school license must be scrutinised by the appropraite authorities and must be seen to meet the fit and proper persons to qualify. That way the quality is somewhat checked. If a school after X amount of years of operation is deemd to be failing, it is either taken over by government or closed down. What is so funny is that the Nigerian goverment has a cordial relationship and history with the UK, why can't they seek proper advice on how to improve things
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by ektbear: 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2011
Interesting.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 1:32pm On Jun 12, 2011
Seun:

It's a silly article. Private education is not the problem; the problem is the corruption in WAEC.

Seun, with all due respect I think it's a very simplistic view to just dismiss the article and lay the problem of education in Nigeria on the doorstep of WAEC. When you have a private educational system that is open to abuse as a result of failure of govt at all levels to put in place an adequate registration and inspection regime to curb the excesses of many such fraudulent schools then you have a big problem to deal with. What you end of getting are students with sub-standard education that doesn't prepare them well by the time they get to sit WAEC exams. The problem with public exam boards, not just WAEC is a topic for another day.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 1:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
monkeyleg:

WAEC has it's part to play, but Central government must take majority of the blame. It is just like every other thing in that country. What is so wrong with setting up a regulatory body to police and govern education. A central vision whereby schools are regularly inspected before they open and while they are run. whoever applies to school license must be scrutinised by the appropraite authorities and must be seen to meet the fit and proper persons to qualify. That way the quality is somewhat checked. If a school after X amount of years of operation is deemd to be failing, it is either taken over by government or closed down. What is so funny is that the Nigerian goverment has a cordial relationship and history with the UK, why can't they seek proper advice on how to improve things

You couldn't have said it any better. From my understanding the regulatory functions of schools in Nigeria are performed by Primary and Secondary Education Boards and at local level, by the Local Education Authority. This is fundamentally flawed; what you need is an independent body like OFSTED in the UK, The Inspectorate of Educational Inspection of Sweden etc.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Wizardofoz: 2:21pm On Jun 12, 2011
Seun:

It's a silly article. Private education is not the problem; the problem is the corruption in WAEC.

Very silly way to reason.

People fail SSCE in droves, and are morally corrupt with no modicum of discipline whatsoever; yet, you want to blame WAEC, an exam body with mandate to test and assess students' knowledge? So who should we blame for the moral decadence of our students? WAEC again? or should that be NECO? and what do we blame JAMB for? For condoning yahoo 2.0 in our universities?

If the same people fail SAT, will you blame the ETS?

I am always impressed as to how you guys reason, very very irrational and outdated.

Just so you know, the biggest exam misconducts in Nigeria, at the secondary school level, are perpetrated in/by private schools.

And yes, I expect Emperor Seun to ban me me after this!
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2011
The problem is neither WAEC nor the proprietors of these mushroom schools. Let me say that I am an auhtority on education in Odigbo LGA with its headquarter in Ore having taught in a public school in Ore and headed a private school in the same Local Government. The truth is that Ore is the LGA with the least number of public primary and secondary schools in South Westeern Nigeria. I stand to be cahllenged. Here is a list of public secondary schools in Ore:
1. Muslim High School, Ore
2. Community High School, Ore
That's all. And this for a town adjudged by the UN as one of the fastest growing towns in South Western Nigeria! Without any exaggeration, the population of Ore will have exceeded the Ome million mark with more than 60% being of school age. Only two secondary schools. My village where I come from in Ekiti has two secondary schools and the population cannotg be more than 5000.

As for primary schools, this is the list:
1. Beulah Baptist Primary School
2. St Mark's Primary School
3. Methodist Primary School
4. St. Paul's Primary School
5. Muslim primary School
6. CAC Primary School

Compare with my village (population less than 5000) where there are 4 primary Schools!

So why blame proprietors who come in to provide what government has failed to provide?
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 2:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
The government of Ondo State told us Ariscent School was not approved yet it had pupils in Primary 6. This means it was not a new school. So what was the Area Education Officer doing while the school was in operation for 6 years?
I challenge anyone who cares to visit the so called mushroom private schools and see how filled they are with pupils and students. If they are substandard, how come parents are still sending their children there? The answer is simple. They do not have any alternative.

Do you know how much many of these schools pay their teachers? Graduates are paid N5000 - N12000. At least as a senior principal I was earning N8000 monthly and that was after three years! But wait, what fees do these schools charge? Primary schools charge between N800 and N2000 per month. The most expensive of them charge N5000 while most secondary schools in Ore charge below N10000 a month.

Education inspectors visit the schools just to be settled. The AEO collects commission on virtually every thing - Common entrance examination, WAEC registration, ID card production, etc etc.

Schools get approved if they can settle the Ministry officials. That is the story of Ore private schools amd there is nothing any one can do about it if Government fails to provide more public schools
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:46pm On Jun 12, 2011
^^^How big is Ore LGA, and why do you think more schools are needed?
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 3:06pm On Jun 12, 2011
Ore is not a Local Government. It is the headquarter of Odigbo LGA. And Odigbo LGA is the largest in Ondo State. I have given reason why Ore needs more public schools. Ore is expanding at an alarming rate. Most people who travel through Ore just go through the expressway and do not know that the real town is off the express way. So they have no idea how big it is. How can two secondary schools meet the need of 25000 students (and this is just an estimate) 00 students
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2011
Xtfield:

The problem is neither WAEC nor the proprietors of these mushroom schools. Let me say that I am an auhtority on education in Odigbo LGA with its headquarter in Ore having taught in a public school in Ore and headed a private school in the same Local Government. The truth is that Ore is the LGA with the least number of public primary and secondary schools in South Westeern Nigeria. I stand to be cahllenged. Here is a list of public secondary schools in Ore:
1. Muslim High School, Ore
2. Community High School, Ore
That's all. And this for a town adjudged by the UN as one of the fastest growing towns in South Western Nigeria! Without any exaggeration, the population of Ore will have exceeded the Ome million mark with more than 60% being of school age. Only two secondary schools. My village where I come from in Ekiti has two secondary schools and the population cannotg be more than 5000.

As for primary schools, this is the list:
1. Beulah Baptist Primary School
2. St Mark's Primary School
3. Methodist Primary School
4. St. Paul's Primary School
5. Muslim primary School
6. CAC Primary School

Compare with my village (population less than 5000) where there are 4 primary Schools!

So why blame proprietors who come in to provide what government has failed to provide?

I think it’s a blame everyone involved in this scandal should share, more so govt at levels who have adjudicated their responsibilities in providing and regulating educational provisions.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2011
Xtfield:

The government of Ondo State told us Ariscent School was not approved yet it had pupils in Primary 6. This means it was not a new school. So what was the Area Education Officer doing while the school was in operation for 6 years?
I challenge anyone who cares to visit the so called mushroom private schools and see how filled they are with pupils and students. If they are substandard, how come parents are still sending their children there? The answer is simple. They do not have any alternative.

Do you know how much many of these schools pay their teachers? Graduates are paid N5000 - N12000. At least as a senior principal I was earning N8000 monthly and that was after three years! But wait, what fees do these schools charge? Primary schools charge between N800 and N2000 per month. The most expensive of them charge N5000 while most secondary schools in Ore charge below N10000 a month.

Education inspectors visit the schools just to be settled. The AEO collects commission on virtually every thing - Common entrance examination, WAEC registration, ID card production, etc etc.

Schools get approved if they can settle the Ministry officials. That is the story of Ore private schools amd there is nothing any one can do about it if Government fails to provide more public schools

Just because the private schools you have mentioned are highly sort after does not necessarily mean they are up to standard. Like you rightly pointed out, there is a lack of alternative but in my view parents are settling for the lesser of two evils and not because private schools have suddenly become havens for educational excellence. There are some good private schools out there but I believe they are few and far between.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/ [quote][/quote]
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2011
Xtfield:

Ore is not a Local Government. It is the headquarter of Odigbo LGA. And Odigbo LGA is the largest in Ondo State.

Xtfield:
. The truth is that Ore is the LGA with the least number of public primary and secondary schools in South Westeern Nigeria. I stand to be cahllenged. Here is a list of public secondary schools in Ore:

Xtfield:

I have given reason why Ore needs more public schools. Ore is expanding at an alarming rate. Most people who travel through Ore just go through the expressway and do not know that the real town is off the express way. So they have no idea how big it is. How can two secondary schools meet the need of 25000 students (and this is just an estimate) 00 students

Where do you get those numbers from, I mean the 25,000 figure?
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 8:30pm On Jun 12, 2011
Nija4Life:

Just because the private schools you have mentioned are highly sort after does not necessarily mean they are up to standard. Like you rightly pointed out, there is a lack of alternative but in my view parents are settling for the lesser of two evils and not because private schools have suddenly become havens for educational excellence. There are some good private schools out there but I believe they are few and far between.

No, I never said or implied that these schools are havens of academic excellence. I only explained why they are springing up and will continue to do so. As I type this, more entrepreneurs are getting set to start new schools in Ore. My point is if Government does not want these so called mushroom schools, then let them provide alternatives. To clamp down on these schools without first providing an alternative is akin to beating a child and asking him not to cry. And to make matters worse, most of these proprietors are teachers in public schools in Ore!
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 8:31pm On Jun 12, 2011
No, I never said or implied that these schools are havens of academic excellence. I only explained why they are springing up and will continue to do so. As I type this, more entrepreneurs are getting set to start new schools in Ore. My point is if Government does not want these so called mushroom schools, then let them provide alternatives. To clamp down on these schools without first providing an alternative is akin to beating a child and asking him not to cry. And to make matters worse, most of these proprietors are teachers in public schools in Ore!
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2011
[/quote][quote author=Kobojunkie link=topic=682531.msg8506270#msg8506270 date=1307904709]

Where do you get those numbers from, I mean the 25,000 figure?

Do you know how many private secondary schools are in Ore? Do you know several of these schools have population en excess of 500? Believe me, I was there and still visit the place. If you doubt me, try pay a visit to Ore and see the myriad of school uniforms. Maybe you will believe me.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 9:19pm On Jun 12, 2011
The issue with this article is first the heading is totally wrong. Maybe "Scandal at Ministry of Education" will do. Private schools are always welcomed especially if the Government can't provide all however the agencies Primary and Secondary boards,NUC must do their jobs of regulating and accrediting without corruption. How do this schools end up doing WAEC? The present system allows for non-accredited schools students  to merge with accredited schools during JSCE and SSCE and that should be a crime.

Government must create an enabling environment & change our policy on teachers recruitment. One of such changes must be the issue of pension and benefit for teachers. It could be changed so that there is a general pension pool for both private and government teachers. That way you create an enabling and equal  environment for all. Private schools cut corners because from Day 1 recruiting the best teachers is a problem unless you are Lumen Christi or Loyola Jesuit. Most folks prefer Government schools for benefits.

There is no scandal in Private Schools if the regulating authorities can do their jobs from the start.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Wizardofoz: 9:26pm On Jun 12, 2011
Xtfield:

Do you know how many private secondary schools are in Ore? Do you know several of these schools have population en excess of 500? Believe me, I was there and still visit the place. If you doubt me, try pay a visit to Ore and see the myriad of school uniforms. Maybe you will believe me.

Keep wasting your time with Kobojunkie?
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 9:40pm On Jun 12, 2011
Xtfield:

Setting up a school is not or shouldn't be seen as an act of enterpreneurship~the access to education is a fundamental human right of every child and exploiting the failure of govt to establish what in my view I consider as many sub-standard schools shouldn't be somehow hailed as a business master-stroke. We both agree on govt's ineptitude to provide basic quality education but private education in its current state of inadequate regulation doesn't look a better alternative to me.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 9:59pm On Jun 12, 2011
kcjazz:

The issue with this article is first the heading is totally wrong. Maybe "Scandal at Ministry of Education" will do. Private schools are always welcomed especially if the Government can't provide all however the agencies Primary and Secondary boards,NUC must do their jobs of regulating and accrediting without corruption. How do this schools end up doing WAEC? The present system allows for non-accredited schools students  to merge with accredited schools during JSCE and SSCE and that should be a crime.

Government must create an enabling environment & change our policy on teachers recruitment. One of such changes must be the issue of pension and benefit for teachers. It could be changed so that there is a general pension pool for both private and government teachers. That way you create an enabling and equal  environment for all.[b] Private schools cut corners because from Day 1 recruiting the best teachers is a problem unless you are Lumen Christi or Loyola Jesuit. Most folks prefer Government schools for benefits.[/b]There is no scandal in Private Schools if the regulating authorities can do their jobs from the start.

I’m not sure the issue has anything to do with the title. A scandal is a publication that alleges(s) to damage or tries to damage an institution. The article I quoted is only seeking to do same so I don’t know what the problem is.

NUC only regulate University education, primary and secondary schools are regulated by state primary and secondary education board and in some instances local education authorities.

The reason private schools cut corners like you mentioned is due to inadequate financial resources to run a school. Schools are very expensive to run anywhere in the world if you really want to deliver quality education.

Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Jun 12, 2011
Xtfield:

I only asked the question hoping you had some official source on that. I myself am interested in researching the state of the educational system country wide, and data is what I love on this -- real data. If you have authentic sources to share, please do.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 10:09pm On Jun 12, 2011
Nija4Life:

Setting up a school is not or shouldn't be seen as an act of enterpreneurship~the access to education is a fundamental human right of every child and exploiting the failure of govt to establish what in my view I consider as many sub-standard schools shouldn't be somehow hailed as a business master-stroke. We both agree on govt's ineptitude to provide basic quality education but private education in its current state of inadequate regulation doesn't look a better alternative to me.

Of course, I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately the present situation in many parts of Nigeria today is that people see it as a business. It's not limited to Ore or Odigbo LGA. True these schools are not better alternative, but until a better alternative is provided they remain the only alternative. If government were alive to its responsibilities, no illegal school will exist for a term before irt is closed down. I think schools which have existed for several years and found to be substandard should be taken over by Government and their proprietors compensated for the efforts in starting them in the first place. It will be unfair to them and the students who attend them to just close them without any plan for the students or pupils in them. Another point is that some of the substandard schools exist in communities where there are no public schools at all and some of them are more than 20km from Ore town.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Xtfield(m): 10:11pm On Jun 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I only asked the question hoping you had some official source on that. I myself am interested in researching the state of the educational system country wide, and data is what I love on this -- real data. If you have authentic sources to share, please do.

Dear brother, I really do not have official figures. What I gave was an estimated figure. But I do believe you can get that from the Area Education Office (especially if you are willing to drop something)
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 5:26am On Jun 13, 2011
Xtfield:

Of course, I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately the present situation in many parts of Nigeria today is that people see it as a business. It's not limited to Ore or Odigbo LGA. True these schools are not better alternative, but until a better alternative is provided they remain the only alternative. If government were alive to its responsibilities, no illegal school will exist for a term before irt is closed down. I think schools which have existed for several years and found to be substandard should be taken over by Government and their proprietors compensated for the efforts in starting them in the first place. It will be unfair to them and the students who attend them to just close them without any plan for the students or pupils in them. Another point is that some of the substandard schools exist in communities where there are no public schools at all and some of them are more than 20km from Ore town.

There lies the problem, the people who see schools as a business should have nothing to do with education. Schools have a statutory responsibility of providing a basic right for every child and those who are in it to line their pockets should be stopped. This is where govt has failed but it can still be redressed if the Ondo govt and other state govts start taking back control of educational provision which seems to have been long lost to opportunists in the name of private proprietors.

I don't think taking over sub-standard private schools by govt is indeed the solution, they need to first bring their own schools up to standard. Rather they need to re-register all private schools and those who do not meet a minimum standard has got to go. The same way reforms led to recapitalisation brought some sort of sanity to the banking sector, education cannot be left behind the times
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 3:02am On Jun 16, 2011
thats idealistic.

In the real world, schools can be set up as businesses as long as they are accountable to the parents. thats the whole point of having a good educational system. Good schools are supposed to survive while the state and the free market are to collude to kill off the poor ones.

Starting a school as a business is not a crime. In many cases, its even a blessing.

Properly run, people would attend public schools. no one would go to a private school. But we have to live with the situation we have now.

Besides, I am in favor of governments getting out of education and other parastatals totally. Subsidize if necessary and administer all of them on an equal basis.

Private Education is not the problem. c'est fini.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 9:40pm On Jun 16, 2011
kodewrita:

thats idealistic.

In the real world, schools can be set up as businesses as long as they are accountable to the parents. thats the whole point of having a good educational system. Good schools are supposed to survive while the state and the free market are to collude to kill off the poor ones.

Starting a school as a business is not a crime. In many cases, its even a blessing.

Properly run, people would attend public schools. no one would go to a private school. But we have to live with the situation we have now.

Besides, I am in favor of governments getting out of education and other parastatals totally. Subsidize if necessary and administer all of them on an equal basis.

Private Education is not the problem. c'est fini.

You claim my post was idealistic but nothing could have been more idealistic than your claim schools can be set up as businesses and left to the whims and caprices of market forces. What do you base your argument on? Could you give an example of countries where this is practiced and how successful they are?

The US, which is the haven of a free market economy, has most of its schools publicly run. Finland which has one of the best educational school systems in Europe and indeed the world is publicly funded. In fact their educational system is so good that teaching is a very sought after profession; only 10% of all applicants are offered teacher training places yearly out of thousands that apply.

Setting up a school as a business is not a ‘crime’ as you seem to suggest and I wasn’t suggesting it was either. How many people have become millionaires by setting up schools? Many private schools in the UK are currently closing because they are finding it increasingly difficult to break even. The UK govt’s closest attempt to privatise some failing public schools through its academy system which involves govt/private partnership hasn’t made those schools to break new grounds. In fact some of those schools have even become worse than they were before gaining academy status. I know this because I work in their educational system.

It’s very naive to even contemplate govt can shirk its statutory responsibility of providing one of its fundamental and basic responsibilities. The truth is that the highly developed nations of the world recognise this important responsibility and plough hundreds of thousands of dollars to providing world class education which is the bedrock of any nation that is serious to develop. Quite frankly the issue goes beyond responsibility but one to do with fundamental human rights. Article 26 of the Human Right charter stipulates that ", education shall be compulsory."

It would be helpful in future to perhaps do some research and back your arguments with facts instead of making sweeping statements.

Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 8:06am On Jun 22, 2011
Sweden.

A high number of schools there are private but the government subsidizes all and monitors all. So there's no essential difference between public and private or Secular/religious schools. They will only have slight differences in some practices but the standard is usually the same. People run them profitably.

Japan.
Not only do people go to private schools for learning, they are also enrolled into high tension "cram schools", where they work afterhours and the training is highly intensive.

Finishing schools for the rich in switzerland are profit-making institutions and they have very high standards.

Same in the US. even though people attend public schools but the private schools still have the highest standards. (At university level , the Ivy League schools are private entities, not public. Harvard, MIT, Princeton and Stanford are private corporations. Verify).

Very many school-millionaires exist. Some even go as far as franchising successful schools. Search for secondary school franchise online and see how many you will find.

Those are your facts.

The UK however is a poor example. You can do better than to give us a Nanny State as an example. They even go as far as paying the jobless to stay jobless and even the rich to live in council houses. So thats not an excuse.

The government can still invest in education EVEN if it owned no schools.

Parents should be allowed to pay for better education if they feel their wards need.

BY THE WAY: The US Government owns no schools except Military Academies. Same goes for the states. The universities are usually owned by the cities in which they are based and are run as publicly owned private entities. The state only funds residents by giving them resident scholarships.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Nija4Life(m): 7:09pm On Jun 22, 2011
kodewrita:

Sweden.

A high number of schools there are private [b]but the government subsidizes all and monitors all[/b]ladhools. So there's no essential difference between public and private or Secular/religious schools. They will only have slight differences in some practices but the standard is usually the same. People run them profitably.

Japan.
Not only do people go to private schools for learning, they are also enrolled into high tension "cram schools", where they work afterhours and the training is highly intensive.

Finishing schools for the rich in switzerland are profit-making institutions and they have very high standards.

Same in the US. even though people attend public schools but the private schools still have the highest standards. (At university level , the Ivy League schools are private entities, not public. Harvard, MIT, Princeton and Stanford are private corporations. Verify).

Very many school-millionaires exist. Some even go as far as franchising successful schools. Search for secondary school franchise online and see how many you will find.

Those are your facts.

The UK however is a poor example. You can do better than to give us a Nanny State as an example. They even go as far as paying the jobless to stay jobless and even the rich to live in council houses. So thats not an excuse.

The government can still invest in education EVEN if it owned no schools.

Parents should be allowed to pay for better education if they feel their wards need.

BY THE WAY: The US Government owns no schools except Military Academies. Same goes for the states. The universities are usually owned by the cities in which they are based and are run as publicly owned private entities. The state only funds residents by giving them resident scholarships.

You seem to be missing the point here; I never suggested I had an issue with private education; I embrace it and understand the quality of education private schools provide. If I can afford it I’ll send my children to one. However, how do you justify the fact you have about 4,000 private schools in one state in Nigeria that are mostly sub-standard and serves as centres for exam malpractice? You stated that in Sweden govt subsidises and crucially monitors private schools which is at the heart of my argument and seems to contradict your stand on private education. Yes, there is a place for private education, no question about that, but they just shouldn’t exist for the sake of it. What is needed is tight regulation which sadly isn’t happening in Nigeria.

You can dress it up as much you like but the bottom-line is that education is the statutory responsibility of govt especially for an under developed nation like Nigeria. Private schools help to complement public education but quite frankly where they are properly run are there mostly to serve children from privileged backgrounds.

You claim the UK is a poor example but failed to provide facts about the UK educational system to back up your claim but more interested in discussing their welfare system. Remember, even Sweden runs a welfare system, in fact most countries in Europe do; let’s just stick with discussing education. The UK may be a ‘nanny’ state like you want me to believe but the fact remains they are a top 8 developed nation with one of the finest schools in the world and an educational system Nigeria can strive for. I accept that there has been a drop in standards especially at primary and secondary level but steps are been currently taken to address it, whether you agree with it or not is a different matter. Both private and public education are important to any nation but Nigeria as a country needs to walk before it can run.

I will leave you with the latest PISA research results from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), one of the most respected organisations in the world for educational research. You will find how different countries are ranked in reading, maths, science and other aspects of education.
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Serendipity: 5:56am On Jun 23, 2011
@NAIJALIFE. Pls can I have ur email addres. Thank u
Re: The Scandal Of Private Education In Nigeria by Serendipity: 5:57am On Jun 23, 2011
@NAIJALIFE. Pls can I have ur email addres. Thank u

(1) (2) (Reply)

No More Expo - JAMB Poised To Introduce CCTV Cameras In Exam Halls / 2013/2014 Admission!!! Get Your Original JAMB Scratch Card From JAMB!!! / Federal Poly Bida Screening Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.