Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container (2379 Views)

** Exotic MERCEDES BENZ ** Cheapest Ever From USA** With Clearing ** (gab Rides) / Please Help With Clearing Cost Of 2001 Toyota Avalon / Pls I Need Help With Clearing Cars In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 04, 2011
Can anyone offer any advice or help here? I am looking to send a container to Nigeria. I need advice in terms of clearance, and cost of container itself. Does one buy these containers, or hire? I've never done this before, so any advice will be a great help.

The container will be either 20 or 40 foot, so please quote on both, thanks!
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by femmy2010(m): 12:29pm On Jun 04, 2011
Oga Siena,you mean an empty container right?
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 04, 2011
Nope. A full one.
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by BizBooks(m): 2:19pm On Jun 04, 2011
You will need to specify the contents of the container. If it's just cars and personal items, then that's easy. But if it contains goods for sale, then it gets a little complex. The first time I shipped a 40 feet container, it contained 4 cars and personal items and thus was easy to clear. Now I'm in the process of clearing another 40 feet container that contains 2 cars and goods and it is giving me serious headache in Lagos.

After I shipped the first 40 feet container, I documented the process in an internet article. You can find it on Google by searching for: "Shipping A Container to Nigeria: An American Perspective." If you search, include the quotation marks and it will be the first article returned. I would have included the link here but cannot due to NL restrictions.
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by kuvieta: 2:21pm On Jun 04, 2011
Good day,

I'm not really sure of what you want.But i'll tell you this,

I import cars from US and I've had a 40 ft container cleared with cars in it several times.

Why i'm telling you this is because you've not said what in particular you are bringing

cos this determine how much you will spend for clearing.

And when you have something to ship you don't have to buy a container, there are shipping agencies who do the shipping.

If you have cars that you want to import and you want it cleared for you contact me at

+2347054262411,+234817607729

Kuvie is the name.
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
Sorry guy, I forgot to add, the contents will be used spare parts, from cars I've stripped. So engines, transmissions, suspension, brakes, ECU's, interiors, glass, alloy wheels etc.
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by BizBooks(m): 2:59pm On Jun 04, 2011
I know new parts are quite expensive to clear, but I don't know about used. Wait for more information from people that have done it.
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 04, 2011
^^^ Thanks, Biz. Interesting write-up you provided about your own experiences so far, with the 40 foot container. I've posted a comment, and will be following your progress.
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 05, 2011
femmy2010:

Oga Siena,you mean an empty container right?

Now you know the contents bro, any advice?
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 05, 2011
kuvieta:

Good day,
I'm not really sure of what you want.But i'll tell you this,
I import cars from US and I've had a 40 ft container cleared with cars in it several times.
Why i'm telling you this is because you've not said what in particular you are bringing
cos this determine how much you will spend for clearing.
And when you have something to ship you don't have to buy a container, there are shipping agencies who do the shipping.
If you have cars that you want to import and you want it cleared for you contact me at
+2347054262411,+234817607729
Kuvie is the name.

I've posted the contents of the container. Any more advice / ideas?
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by Nobody: 12:25am On Jun 07, 2011
Wow. So many views, so many clearing agents, (so they say) yet no one can offer any advice / help?
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by femmy2010(m): 12:52am On Jun 07, 2011
Siena:

Now you know the contents bro, any advice?

Evening sir,
There exist great procedural flaw in clearing these particular set of shipment because clearing cost is not know until its Arrival in Nigeria(As i feel it would be fair enough for shippers to have an idea of what to set aside for clearing their anticipated shipments).
You can read more in the link posted below.

http://www.customs.gov.ng/Guidelines/Destination_Inspection/guidelines.php
Re: Any Freight Forwarders On Here? Need Advice With Clearing 20/40 Ft Container by mastro: 9:23am On Jun 07, 2011
Wow. So many views, so many clearing agents, (so they say) yet no one can offer any advice / help?

My brother I feel your pain, this is how business works (or doesn't) in Nigeria, I suggest you threaten to stop posting here, then maybe you will get some more practical advice from the professionals  grin

My personal experience is limited to personal effects and it cost me about N400k for a 20ft (which I wasn't happy with) so can't point you in the same direction. My feeling was that they just make it up based on what they think you can pay.

from the customs website femmy posted, you should be looking 15% '8708.9900.00' http://www.customs.gov.ng/hscode/resulthscode.php?TYPE=DESC&HSCODE=parts&MODE=ALL
However customs are a law unto themselves, so I wouldn't rely on that.

(1) (Reply)

Abuja- Used Full Option 2004 Eod 1.050m / Very Clean 2006 Toyota Corolla For Sale N1.3m SOLD SOLD SOLD / 2006 Used Toyota Avalon Xls For 1.65m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.