Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? (1793 Views)

Lagos State Number-Plate Recognition Camera Caught Man Driving With Expired Pape / Motorists Driving With Earphones Risk Six Months In Jail – FRSC / The Dangers Of Driving With One Headlight At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by sharpwriter(m): 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2021
I have been wondering about this for a long time and I would like different views and experiences.

Most people are right hand users, that is, they use the right hand to eat, bath, brush and do most things making the right hand the choice hand/arm. I assume that driving is easier for this set of which I'm one (throttle is designed for our right legs position and gear shifting is easy) .

However, there are lefties also who don't know how to use the right hand. They use left instead. Examples are Messi, Taye Taiwo who are both footballers and can hardly use their right legs perfectly.

Now, when it comes to driving a car, in Nigeria, United States, Canada and some other places, the vehicle's steerings are situated on the left side (left hand drive).

This means that the gear will be situated at the right side (in a left handed car), and for lefties, it means they may find it a bit difficult in shifting gears (manual transmission mostly);

Then, how do they also throttle when driving considering the fact that the accelerator pedal is designed for the right leg users?

If you are a lefty who also drives, do you also use the "imperfect" right leg to apply acceleration and brakes through mastery or you use your perfect left leg?

If you use your "imperfect" right leg, how was your experience with driving from the onset especially with manual transmission?
Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by pocohantas(f): 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2021
Hmmm.
We never give little things like this a thought. I would love to read from them.

OP, how your mind take reason this thing? Did you just finish smoking weed? undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by buygala(m): 6:10pm On Oct 30, 2021
sharpwriter:
I have been wondering about this for a long time and I would like different views and experiences.

Most people are right hand users, that is, they use the right hand to eat, bath, brush and do most things making the right hand the choice hand/arm. I assume that driving is easier for this set of which I'm one (throttle is designed for our right legs position and gear shifting is easy) .

However, there are lefties also who don't know how to use the right hand. They use left instead. Examples are Messi, Taye Taiwo who are both footballers and can hardly use their right legs perfectly.

Now, when it comes to driving a car, in Nigeria, United States, Canada and some other places, the vehicle's steerings are situated on the left side (left hand drive).

This means that the gear will be situated at the right side (in a left handed car), and for lefties, it means they may find it a bit difficult in shifting gears (manual transmission mostly);

Then, how do they also throttle when driving considering the fact that the accelerator pedal is designed for the right leg users?

If you are a lefty who also drives, do you also use the "imperfect" right leg to apply acceleration and brakes through mastery or you use your perfect left leg?

If you use your "imperfect" right leg, how was your experience with driving from the onset especially with manual transmission?

Righties learnt how to wash nyansh with their left hand

Righties use the trafficator switches with the left hand...

Righties press the clutch with their left foot while driving manual cars

Righties steer with their left hands while changing gears with their right hand in manual cars

When we men want to press/carress brezz, we do so with both hands...I am yet to hear of anyone complaining of a weak left or right hand when it comes to things as particularly necessary as handling brezz grin...in that circumstance, both hands work perfectly...

Leftie wey dey use right hand unhook bra wey get 4 tight hooks na im u dey ask how e dey take drive vehicles with right hand-configured steering, gear and pedals grin...the same God wey make am fit dey unhook bra with him right hand even in total darkness, na im make way for am to drive cars comfortably smiley

Point is...the brain has a way of making our dormant limbs adapt to tasks that our dominant limb isn't in any position to do comfortably..necessity na the mother of invention I guess grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by diportivo: 6:27pm On Oct 30, 2021
buygala:

Righties steer with their left hands while changing gears with their right hand in manual cars

When we men want to press/carress brezz, we do so with both hands...I am yet to year of anyone complaining of a weak left or right hand when it comes to things as particularly necessary as handling brezz grin...in that circumstance, both hands work perfectly...

Leftie wey dey use right hand unhook bra wey get 4 tight hooks na im u dey ask how e dey take drive vehicles with right hand-configured steering, gear and pedals grin...the same God wey make am fit dey unhook bra with him right hand even in total darkness, na im make way for am to drive cars comfortably smiley

Point is...the brain has a way of making our dormant limbs adapt to tasks that our dominant limb isn't in any position to do comfortably..necessity na the mother of invention I guess grin

you don talk am finish

most of the cars in the UK na right and drive

most people are right handed

gear is on the left

point is,it's not a big deal at all at all

if na brezz now this kind talk no go happen true true grin

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by iamyemiakins(m): 8:15pm On Oct 30, 2021
buygala:

When we men want to press/carress brezz, we do so with both hands...I am yet to hear of anyone complaining of a weak left or right hand when it comes to things as particularly necessary as handling brezz grin...in that circumstance, both hands work perfectly...

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by iamyemiakins(m): 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2021
Where's Lalasticlala sef!

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by Martini101(m): 10:23pm On Oct 30, 2021
It is not a big deal as right-handed people in places like UK and Japan would have complained long ago!

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by Valwezzy: 5:04am On Oct 31, 2021
pocohantas:
Hmmm.
We never give little things like this a thought. I would love to read from them.

OP, how your mind take reason this thing? Did you just finish smoking weed? undecided

I don dey suspect you, how you take know say weed dey make person think outside the box? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by sharpwriter(m): 9:35am On Nov 01, 2021
pocohantas:
Hmmm.

Hahahahahaha.... Weed gini? grin

Baby, it seems you didn't look at my moniker very well , na me nau.

My thoughts run around every now and then.
Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by sharpwriter(m): 9:42am On Nov 01, 2021
buygala:

Lol... This your brezz caress and bra unhooking analogy, you go be cassanova o cheesy

Abi you no be cassanova but you like woman grin

However, you are right about learning. And the clutch and left leg mastery is also true.

I remember on this nairaland where someone said Brazilians drive with two legs, right leg for throttle and the left leg for brakes even for automatic transmission cars cheesy
Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by sharpwriter(m): 9:46am On Nov 01, 2021
Valwezzy:

I don dey suspect you, how you take know say weed dey make person think outside the box? undecided undecided
I no go say she dey smoke, but she fit dey eat am as veggie o. cheesy You know say Poco na master for culinary skills and kitchen matter. She sabi cook well. She don teach how to cook many food and soup for food section

@Poco wink
Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by pocohantas(f): 10:19am On Nov 01, 2021
sharpwriter:

I no go say she dey smoke, but she fit dey eat am as veggie o. cheesy You know say Poco na master for culinary skills and kitchen matter. She sabi cook well. She don teach how to cook many food and soup for food section

@Poco wink

Lol. I don’t take anything of such. I just wanted to know where the inspiration for this thread came from.

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by sharpwriter(m): 1:59pm On Nov 27, 2021
cool
Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by komek(m): 7:44pm On Jan 28, 2023
Nice one there

quote author=buygala post=107197646]

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by sharpwriter(m): 10:30pm On Feb 02, 2023
komek:
Nice one there

quote author=buygala post=107197646]

Fada lawd God bless thee bweast professor! grin

1 Like

Re: Lefties, How Did You Master Driving With Left Handed Cars? by uncleck: 10:12pm On Feb 04, 2023
I don't think it's a big deal. The experience leftists have while driving in Nigeria is the same experience righties have while driving in Europe

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is A Repainted Car Bad? / I Want To Buy A Ford Escape 2008. Pls Advice / Man Made First Electric Tricycle That Use Only Electricity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.