Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,739 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 - Travel (374) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 (1049876 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) ... (631) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by tshtsh: 1:23pm On Jan 18, 2023
Zeewirld:
..Why do you suggest soft landing?
Because like every society Canada is different from what most of us are used to and has its own difficulties. Some things we take for granted in Nigeria are difficult to get in Canada and vice versa. Thus adjusting to the new environment usually takes time for most people. From the point of view of Nigeria these are some of the issues most people face:

1. Finances. Standard of living in Canada is high thus cost of living is also high. The average Nigerian immigrant to Canada has most likely put in some years of work in Nigeria and elsewhere with savings or an investment such as a home. However, the naira is weak and most people tend to sell off all they’ve worked for before moving to Canada. When they eventually move to Canada they spend all these monies on air bnb & other basics. Would have been better if they were able to reinvest some of these funds in Canada instead of starting from the scratch. In my opinion a soft landing enables one to spend less money and explore the option of getting a job as soon as possible.

2. Credit- Canada runs a credit-based economy. Thus without credit it is difficult to buy a car, rent a home and do many other things except you are paying out of pocket. Your credit report and score influence the outcome of many applications you’ll make thus getting a credit card is one of the first things you’ll need to get after the social insurance number. A score of 700 or higher is the threshold most people find comfortable. Unfortunately Canadians tend not to bend their rules or show understanding towards newcomers with lower scores. Thus a soft landing offers one the opportunity to get a credit card and begin to build their credit scores before making the eventual move.

3. Housing- getting a house in Canada (especially Ontario ) is one of the toughest challenges newcomers face. A lot of barriers exist (lack of rental history in Canada, low credit score , lack of job history in Canada , racial discrimination, competitive rental market…). This problem has pushed many families to start out in very tough conditions moving from one air bnb to another and running out of money easily . Some have even had their relationships with friends and family ruined over this. You tell your friend you’ll spend one month in his house and after a month you’re unable to get a house while your friend/host expects you to honour your word by moving out after a month. You find a family of four moving from one basement air bnb to another . I always wondered why the father didn’t move to Canada first before other members of the family . A man can endure these, get a house after a few months before the wife + kids join him.

4. Job market- Not everyone is lucky to land a job within a short time. I got a job before moving to Canada but for some people it takes a while to land a job. Staying in Canada without a job can push people to take up menial jobs or survival jobs which ordinarily they wouldn’t want to. I have seen videos where people preach about survival jobs being an entry point to the Canadian job market. I don’t agree with that narrative. Survival jobs should be the last option . I got a job in my field before even landing in Canada. More and more people have been able to do so as well.

5- Soft landing allows you to have first hand experience of what living in Canada is like and enable you to plan your move better. Thanks

9 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by leykee(m): 1:28pm On Jan 18, 2023
Good afternoon everyone.
If I want to apply for WES evaluation so my Unilag diploma and BSc is evaluated as Two or more certificates. How do I go about it, please? I will appreciate any kind of help.

I did a direct entry into Unilag having completed the Unilag diploma foundations program and wrote the Jupeb exam after completing it. I want to make sure it comes out as 2 or more degrees in WES evaluation.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ednut1(m): 3:05pm On Jan 18, 2023
tshtsh:

Because like every society Canada is different from what most of us are used to and has its own difficulties. Some things we take for granted in Nigeria are difficult to get in Canada and vice versa. Thus adjusting to the new environment usually takes time for most people. From the point of view of Nigeria these are some of the issues most people face:

1. Finances. Standard of living in Canada is high thus cost of living is also high. The average Nigerian immigrant to Canada has most likely put in some years of work in Nigeria and elsewhere with savings or an investment such as a home. However, the naira is weak and most people tend to sell off all they’ve worked for before moving to Canada. When they eventually move to Canada they spend all these monies on air bnb & other basics. Would have been better if they were able to reinvest some of these funds in Canada instead of starting from the scratch. In my opinion a soft landing enables one to spend less money and explore the option of getting a job as soon as possible.

2. Credit- Canada runs a credit-based economy. Thus without credit it is difficult to buy a car, rent a home and do many other things except you are paying out of pocket. Your credit report and score influence the outcome of many applications you’ll make thus getting a credit card is one of the first things you’ll need to get after the social insurance number. A score of 700 or higher is the threshold most people find comfortable. Unfortunately Canadians tend not to bend their rules or show understanding towards newcomers with lower scores. Thus a soft landing offers one the opportunity to get a credit card and begin to build their

5- Soft landing allows you to have first hand experience of what living in Canada is like and enable you to plan your move better. Thanks
so if i have a wife and 2 children. I will use 4m naira for flight, airbnb and other expenses when i can get child benefit of 1400 a month grin
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by mabella123(f): 3:44pm On Jan 18, 2023
Pls house my E E is saying that I am not eligible and I don’t have a score but I scored almost 400 on the comprehensive ranking score. Pls what can I do? I see that I cannot delete the profile and start all over. Pls can someone assist me on the way forward?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by tshtsh: 3:57pm On Jan 18, 2023
ednut1:
so if i have a wife and 2 children. I will use 4m naira for flight, airbnb and other expenses when i can get child benefit of 1400 a month grin
Child benefit of $569 a month per child is nothing compared to the cost of living. Of what use is child benefit when without a house or accommodation ? I'm not saying you should leave your wife and children behind in Nigeria. I only believe that as a man I'll like to sort out accommodation issues before bringing in my kids and spouse. Seen one or two scenarios where a family had to change address every couple of weeks apart with the man getting frustrated and shouting at his wife because she was the architect of the move to Canada from Nigeria where the man believed he was doing well. Being unsettled can really disorient some people. In addition daycare in Toronto can cost up to $2000 monthly per child.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Sleek05(f): 4:02pm On Jan 18, 2023
A number of us are in the same boat. I'm in the exact same shoes. Let's all stay positive and hope for the best.

gbems90:
Good morning house,
I got passport request December 12 and I forwarded my passport and all documents to Ghana through Vfs Lagos on the 13th. The last update I got was since December 22nd, when the passport got to Ghana Visa Office. Up until now, I’ve not gotten any update. I called Vfs Lagos last week and I was told my passport is still at Ghana Canada Embassy which is the same information I get when I track it on their website. It says “ your processed passport has been forwarded to the Canada Visa office on 22/12/2022”

My flight date is fast approaching and I don’t know what else to do. Is there something I can do at this point or I just keep waiting?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Goulak: 5:21pm On Jan 18, 2023
I believe daycare in most Ontario daycares has been subsidized to 10cad an hour. correct me please if I am wrong.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by EsoEso: 5:23pm On Jan 18, 2023
tshtsh:

1. Finances. Standard of living in Canada is high thus cost of living is also high. The average Nigerian immigrant to Canada has most likely put in some years of work in Nigeria and elsewhere with savings or an investment such as a home. However, the naira is weak and most people tend to sell off all they’ve worked for before moving to Canada. When they eventually move to Canada m

2. Credit- Canada runs a credit-based economy. Thus without credit it is difficult to buy a car, rent a home and do many other things except you are paying out of pocket. Your credit report and score influence the outcome of many applications you’ll make thus getting a credit card is one of the first things you’ll need to get after the social insurance number. A score of 700 or higher is the threshold most people find comfortable. Unfortunately Canadians tend not to bend their rules or show understanding towards newcomers with lower scores. Thus a soft landing offers one the opportunity to get a credit card and begin to build their credit scores before making the eventual move.

3. Housing- getting a house in Canada (especially Ontario ) is one of the toughest challenges newcomers face. A lot of barriers exist (lack of rental history in Canada, low credit score , lack of job history in Canada , racial discrimination, competitive rental market…). This problem has pushed many families to start out in very tough conditions moving from one air bnb to another and running out of money easily . Some have even had their relationships with friends and family ruined over this. You tell your friend you’ll spend one month in his house and after a month you’re unable to get a house while your friend/host expects you to honour your word by moving out after a month. You find a family of four moving from one basement air bnb to another . I always wondered why the father didn’t move to Canada first before other members of the family . A man can endure these, get a house after a few months before the wife + kids join him.

4. Job market- Not everyone is lucky to land a job within a short time. I got a job before moving to Canada but for some people it takes a while to land a job. Staying in Canada without a job can push people to take up menial jobs or survival jobs which ordinarily they wouldn’t want to. I have seen videos where people preach about survival jobs being an entry point to the Canadian job market. I don’t agree with that narrative. Survival jobs should be the last option . I got a job in my field before even landing in Canada. More and more people have been able to do so as well.

Your advice is very valid especially the last point. Not carved in a stone though. It is very logical for a man who is the primary applicant, with family, and no bogus money to keep up with expenses for the uncertain period and also has no support of whatsoever on ground. Especially with kids. It's not just Canada alone but any major move to anywhere. A man can somehow rough it out for some time till major balance which basically accomodation. But when kids and wife is involved, it can mess up ones mind.
But if there is enough resources to umbrella whatever comes regardless of the span, by all means whole family can move once; after all many wants to experience that feeling of migrating with a family at once.
If the woman is the primary applicant, hehehe no choice, the ship gat to sail at once.

I can confidently say that the first instance I cited is where most Nigerians belong to. And if I were to be in that shoe I think I will choose this advice of going ahead before family joins. Kids, women are different, so when you asses the situation, better judgement can be made.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Kellion56: 6:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
TWoods:

I honestly feel this post is here simply to let people know you’ve made it into Canada and your child has a Canadian passport. Other than that, I cannot understand why you haven’t simply called Egypt air to ask what Covid rules you need to worry about or at least checked on their website?

Loll…y u de jealous…if you can’t answer …keep mute…no one forced u…
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by nymphomaniac(m): 6:45pm On Jan 18, 2023
Hope for draws today?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by tshtsh: 6:47pm On Jan 18, 2023
EsoEso:

Your advice is very valid especially the last point. Not carved in a stone though. It is very logical for a man who is the primary applicant, with family, and no bogus money to keep up with expenses for the uncertain period and also has no support of whatsoever on ground. Especially with kids. It's not just Canada alone but any major move to anywhere. A man can somehow rough it out for some time till major balance which basically accomodation. But when kids and wife is involved, it can mess up ones mind.
But if there is enough resources to umbrella whatever comes regardless of the span, by all means whole family can move once; after all many wants to experience that feeling of migrating with a family at once.
If the woman is the primary applicant, hehehe no choice, the ship gat to sail at once.

I can confidently say that the first instance I cited is where most Nigerians belong to. And if I were to be in that shoe I think I will choose this advice of going ahead before family joins. Kids, women are different, so when you asses the situation, better judgement can be made.

Exactly. A man can put up with a friend while navigating the struggles as currently most Nigerians making this move are not financially buoyant due to the disparity in exchange rate. Support system is also not like Nigeria. I moved to Canada with $10,000 and a job offer letter. I was single and started earning a salary three weeks after I landed but I still struggled with the housing thing. My friend who stays with me when he is in Nigeria saw my predicament as a way to make money off me. He wanted me to stay in a room in his house and be paying him $1200 monthly. I never request for money when people stay at my place. In fact while in Canada my rent in Lagos was still valid and my friend lived there for 7 months while I was away. I didn't ask for money from him even though I needed money. I also wont stay anywhere without contributing. These are some of the cultural differences many Nigerians face when they move abroad. The way people chase money and detest doing something for free can make one feel the complete absence of support systems. My intention was to go through the tough phase and get settled thus I took the harder route of building my credit and trying endlessly to rent a house while staying at an Air BnB rented place . It was hard but I'm glad I did that otherwise I wouldn't have settled in within a short time. Staying with somebody is not bad especially when it is temporary. In Lagos I use to get excited when family members or friends visited. We will chat till late in the night, cook together, talk politics , watch soccer together and all. The extra cost was insignificant. But its not so in the west. Regarding finances my uncle told me he spent about $200,000 to move his family to Houston. Most Nigerians cannot afford even half of that. The man had to pay a one year rent upfront, buy a car with upfront payment, furnish the house, enroll wife + children in school. Thus most will have to start working as soon as possible

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ednut1(m): 7:40pm On Jan 18, 2023
EsoEso:

Your advice is very valid especially the last point. Not carved in a stone though. It is very logical for a man who is the primary applicant, with family, and no bogus money to keep up with expenses for the uncertain period and also has no support of whatsoever on ground. Especially with kids. It's not just Canada alone but

but more wives are primarily applicants due to age , madam 28 , husband 33 grin. Abeg we are in gender equality era. Make both parties hustle am.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by EsoEso: 9:13pm On Jan 18, 2023
ednut1:
but more wives are primarily applicants due to age , madam 28 , husband 33 grin. Abeg we are in gender equality era. Make both parties am.
Oga nobody is catapaulting gender inequalities. It's just basic reasoning. If you have a family you would know the idea here. If women are the primary applicant then they have to see it through together. And even if the man is the PA , they can still see it through together. So it depends on the family's strenght and weaknesses.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by gbems90: 9:27pm On Jan 18, 2023
Sleek05:
A number of us are in the same boat. I'm in the exact same shoes. Let's all stay positive and hope for the best.

Thank you. How long ago did you send yours?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ezzylee(m): 9:30pm On Jan 18, 2023
Draws were held today and cutoff was 507…. Omo undecided

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by EsoEso: 9:32pm On Jan 18, 2023
Which kind draw ircc go do nau...
Something is wrong oo
ITAs 5500, Cutoffs: 507

I think the message is clear

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ednut1(m): 9:33pm On Jan 18, 2023
ezzylee:

shocked
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ultrazone(m): 9:37pm On Jan 18, 2023
ezzylee:

Must be a mistake. It should soon be updated. Check the score distribution. Cutoff should be around 491-493

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ezzylee(m): 9:39pm On Jan 18, 2023
EsoEso:
Which kind draw ircc go do nau...
Something is wrong oo
ITAs 5500, Cutoffs: 507

I think the message is clear

I agree that there might be something wrong….. going by the candidate distribution across the scores, the numbers aren’t adding up at all.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ezzylee(m): 9:40pm On Jan 18, 2023
ultrazone:

Must be a mistake. It should soon be updated. Check the score distribution. Cutoff should be around 491-493

They should rectify oooo…. Make dem no spoil our evening.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by EsoEso: 9:55pm On Jan 18, 2023
ezzylee:

They should rectify oooo…. Make dem no spoil our evening.

Let's see if they would do. Cos it's not making sense at all
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Timmypaul: 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2023
The draw no be for here oooo, 507 again ogaoooooooo.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by donsimon2(m): 10:25pm On Jan 18, 2023
Crs 490 o grin

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by naijainstinct: 10:30pm On Jan 18, 2023
donsimon2:
Crs 490 o grin
Wow
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Profgordons(m): 10:33pm On Jan 18, 2023
I have told you guys times without number how these things work, all information about IRCC plans and targets are online! Get your things ready!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by nymphomaniac(m): 10:43pm On Jan 18, 2023
donsimon2:
Crs 490 o grin
ITA. YOUR OWN IS COMING

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ezzylee(m): 10:49pm On Jan 18, 2023
donsimon2:
Crs 490 o grin

Ope oooo grin grin
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by EsoEso: 11:03pm On Jan 18, 2023
donsimon2:
Crs 490 o grin

Way way better than what everybody anticipated.
I was shokced before oo if Ircc dey whyne us Nii.. with this, Hope dey
But this recurrent glitches; they better get their acts together.. shuuuu
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by saskatoonguy: 11:19pm On Jan 18, 2023
Wow, unbelievable - #ExpressEntry Draw #238

CRS - 490
ITAs - 5500

I'm on CRS 488. The wait is worth it.

ITA COMING HOME SOON BY GOD'S GRACE

23 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Zeewirld: 11:26pm On Jan 18, 2023
tshtsh:

5- Soft landing allows you to have first hand ur experience of what living in Canada is like and enable you to plan your move better. Thanks
... Thanks for your response and beautiful post.

#2 ..Is it possible to build a credit score through soft landing?? My understanding of soft landing is a situation whereby you come in ,get your PR and leave for your country to return in some years or months time..I don't know if that is also what you have in mind??

I asked because my understanding of your explanation/post above is that a partner should come to Canada first, hustle, establish and then bring in his family...Is that what you meant?

I want to believe that housing and jobs shouldn't be an issue in other provinces unlike Ontario
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Zeewirld: 11:27pm On Jan 18, 2023
saskatoonguy:
Wow, unbelievable - #ExpressEntry Draw #238

CRS - 490
ITAs - 5500

I'm on CRS 488. The wait is worth it.

ITA COMING HOME SOON BY GOD'S GRACE
....Nay Saskatchewan you dey go abi?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) ... (631) (Reply)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Usa Visit Visa / Travelling To Canada Part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.