Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) (61919 Views)

Femi Osibona: Face Behind Collapsed 21-storey Building In Ikoyi / Building Collapses In Ebute Metta, Lagos. Many Trapped (Photo, Video) / Akwa Ibom 21 Storey Building Ready (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 01, 2021
na wa o, some serious gbese ...hope they did proper soil test before they start constructing ...hope emergency service are at hand...anyway someone told me something 12 years ago, that Big men don't get move when they encounter challenges, they just think of a way out... actually I think it was the retired gap tooth General he was referring to.....
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Omonigho1976: 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2021
NobleSeed:
what a tragedy sad
God save the people trapped..
trapped ke! My brother I can assure you even the rats in that building didn't survive this crash I'm seeing so! So sad!!!

2 Likes

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2021
fkj950ax:

Assumption and generalization are the lowest form of objective discourse.

Less than 0.5% of high rise buildings in Nigeria have collapsed. There are buildings in Nigeria built years ago still standing.

Even in developed countries, high rise collapses. This is a report of a building that collapsed in 2021 in Florida, USA.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57592827

Don't throw the baby and the bath water away. One collapse in Ikoyi cannot represent the whole of Nigeria.
Defending mediocrity?
What's the ratio of high rise buildings in those countries to Nigeria? Answer this question and see how skewed your defence is.

3 Likes

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by CryptoClub2018: 4:31pm On Nov 01, 2021
jude33084:

Those other 2 are already compromised. undecided

Yes, with the impact of the collapsed one

2 Likes

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by West2019(m): 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2021
the engineer done buy job

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by sonofElElyon: 4:34pm On Nov 01, 2021
Newboss:
Threads like this shows how easy it's for people to castigate you when something goes wrong. Some are even calling the engineers quack.

When you are constructing something as high as 21 storeys, so many things can go fatally wrong. It has nothing to do with substandard material. It could be from a very simple and insignificant miscalculation.

Take it easy with the judgements.

It takes high level experience and competence to do high rise.. you can't afford to miscalculate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by MeghaneMorgane(f): 4:34pm On Nov 01, 2021
God have mercy
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Legendoo: 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2021
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Revolva(m): 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2021
Why would a new building collapse that means the foundation is not good

Had it been it a building that is already completed and people using it ...for years and later collapse we will understand ...like dat of Miami

The contractor need to be held

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by JaskanFactor: 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2021
anybody who value their life will not enter multi storey building in Nigeria, unless its a building belonging to the colonial masters that still run Nigeria .

Cause according to out colonial masters, only what they have can be safe.

What are building regulations like in a country overrun by terrorists, that appear to be civil servants in colonial run Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by SATANlST: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2021
they wll use poor materials and put innocent peoples life at risk
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Badguy77(m): 4:39pm On Nov 01, 2021
Pharaohny:

You be mumu

grin
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by kingjoe(m): 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2021
Newboss:

Were you the one who sold the substandard material to them? The chances that a 21 storey building was constructed using substandard material is almost zero.

Most of these are caused by structural design flaws.
you are not far from the truth.
Most times ,it is faulty substructural design.
21 storey is not child's play.
Combinations of pile foundation,pad and raft.
It is a complex work .
The geotechnical engineers must get it right.
Let's wait till experts visit and take samples.but most likely foundation defect.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by fortune1968: 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2021
Corruption killed The country .

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by AfroKnight: 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2021
Foundation failed.

Was it too much load?
Poor design?
Incorrect soil test results?

Many questions.

Knowing Nigeria, some contractors will get away with sharp practices once they grease a few strategic palms.

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by NobleSeed(m): 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2021
Don't say that bro
What God can't do doesn't exist..
Omonigho1976:
trapped ke! My brother I can assure you even the rats in that building didn't survive this crash I'm seeing so! So sad!!!

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Newboss(m): 4:47pm On Nov 01, 2021
sonofElElyon:

It takes high level experience and competence to do high rise.. you can't afford to miscalculate

ALL engineers miscalculate. Just that some miscalculations are insignificant. 47.7877885 is not equal to 47.787789. That approximation is already a miscalculation. But it is insignificant.

However in very complex projects like this, that insignificant miscalculation could add up to something significant. Also, unforseen events such as weather could come into play to make an insignificant miscalculation significant.

4 Likes

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by 7victor(m): 4:54pm On Nov 01, 2021
I just heard it as a breaking news in Al Jazeera.

They said at least 50 people were inside when it collapsed.
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by CUMIN: 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2021
seborrhic:
95% of buildings in Lagos don't have building approval, sometimes due to the unattainable conditions attached.The 5% with approval are shady ones got through influence.
I am sure that building was being erected by a politician or goverment contractor through a proxy property developer that bypassed all building codes.
You will only see these Lagos ministry officials going to hinterlands and developing areas of Lagos marking buildings with red/black "stop work" letters,but become very mute or easily bribed off when buildings are constructed in high brow areas.

Those red mark means 'come see oga for office'.

Go check those official account balance...you will be amazed.

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by EndBuhariNow(m): 5:00pm On Nov 01, 2021
Nigeria and substandard building... ordinary 21 storey they no fit build
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by onilanre(m): 5:02pm On Nov 01, 2021
21 storey building is too much
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Hideki(m): 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2021
Angelfrost:
I knew there was a reason my wealthy uncles refused to use Nigerian Engineers and builders for all their houses... They always went as far as Ghana and Benin Republic to even recruit.

One of them said he didn't want his roof to fall on him while sleeping on a rainy night. undecided undecided undecided
your uncle is not wealthy and doesn't know shit. How many high rise buildings do we have in Benin and Ghana? Nigerian engineers are some of the best brains in Africa. Building collapse mainly because of greed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Naughtysex: 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2021
Na who get the building? If i say "OSI and you say "BANJO" ómó na you sabi
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by hibeebeeking: 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2021
It's pathetic. I hope they could find someone alive under this rubus.21 storey building. Hmmm!
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Angelfrost(m): 5:11pm On Nov 01, 2021
Hideki:
your uncle is not wealthy and doesn't know shit. [s]How many high rise buildings do we have in Benin and Ghana? Nigerian engineers are some of the best brains in Africa. Building collapse mainly because of greed[/s].

Honestly, I read nothing meaningful up there... Matter of fact, I read nothing beyond the part in bold, which did nothing but show you up as an ill-bred, over-defensive dunce!

Don't ever quote me again!!!

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by Hideki(m): 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2021
Newboss:

Were you the one who sold the substandard material to them? The chances that a 21 storey building was constructed using substandard material is almost zero.

Most of these are caused by structural design flaws.
Not structural design flaws, because there are softwares that can detect structural faults and uneven dead load distribution at the design stage. There are software that can even compute structural analysis and factor of safety. The reason for collapse is greed and fraud on the part of the owner or the contractor. For the owner to even be on site tells a lot. Your project manager and the building team should be the people supervising the project.
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by joetem(m): 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2021
donpapa:
Quality control should be taken seriously in this country. We can’t keep wasting people’s lives. Casualties might not be much if the Emergency guys arrives early. Unfortunately, this is Nigeria where a pizza delivery is faster than Nigeria Emergency team. Shame!

igbos are the sellers of bad materials
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by bizzibodi(m): 5:14pm On Nov 01, 2021
The iron rods couldn't bear any more d weight of sand & little cement mixed together.....must we build multiple storey building?
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by ma373733(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2021
joetem:

igbos are the sellers of bad materials

Na Igbo go kill you las las

Children of hate

1 Like

Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by aku626(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2021
Cut corners
Re: 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) by majamajic(m): 5:25pm On Nov 01, 2021
I saw advertisement for this building yesterday Sunday

170M for one flat !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Many Plots Of Land Can We Find In An Acres. Urgent / How Caramelo Lounge Was Demolished In Abuja By FCTA / Cost Of Building Foundation for a 4 Bedroom Bungalow In The East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.