Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Why We Withdrew Further Services —construction Company - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Why We Withdrew Further Services —construction Company (296 Views)

Adebowale Sikiru Ikoyi Building Collapse: My Rejection For Being Muslim Saved Me / Photos From The Scene Of The Ikoyi Building Collapse (Graphic) / Prowess Engineering On Ikoyi Building Collapse: Why We Withdrew Further Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Why We Withdrew Further Services —construction Company by Biodex58(m): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2021
Workers trapped as 21-storey building collapses in Ikoyi, Lagos.

The building was reportedly under construction when it went down at about 1:30 pm on Monday.

The team of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) is present at the scene making efforts to rescue the trapped workers.
The General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Gbolahan Oki, says the owner of the collapsed 21-storey building, under construction in Ikoyi, was given approval to construct only 15 floors.

Mr Oki told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on the telephone that the owner of the property has been arrested and would face the law because people have died in the disaster.

“He got an approval for a 15-storey building and he exceeded his limit. I am on ground here and the materials he used are so inferior and terrible.

“The materials he used, the reinforcement, are so terrible. He got approval for 15 floors but built 21.

“I think he has been locked down. He has been arrested before now,” he said..
WATCH HOW THE BUILDING COLLAPSES AND PEOPLE RESCUE MANY TRAPPED
WATCH,SUBSCRIBE AND SHARE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmd01CVL73s

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Why We Withdrew Further Services —construction Company by Lawlab249: 7:45am On Nov 02, 2021
Ok
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Why We Withdrew Further Services —construction Company by OnlineArchitect: 7:46am On Nov 02, 2021
It gets really sad when you see things like this happening, you rarely see things like this in the western world were building codes/laws are been adhered to strictly. Disasters like this are avoidable but because of greed building collapse has become a norms in Nigeria. Every building has its structural standards that must be followed to the letter but you'll see engineers on site trying to go against specifications in order to cut costs and make more profits or clients on the order hand telling the engineers to minimize the use of materials so he can save more. Sometimes even when the engineers refuses to compromise on quality the client would tell him to go saying he's too expensive and look for one quack who's ready to do their bidding. It's even more sad that relevant agencies who are supposed to check these irregularities are given stipend and by so doing they forget about it and move on the next site.

I have left construction projects due to the fact that clients wants me to compromise in most cases. There was a project i was handling for a very popular church in 2016 it's an event centre, the structural drawings says a base of 4ft by 4ft is to be used with 16mm reinforcement bars. But these guys came saying using it as specificied will consume much money that they will want me to use 2ft by 2ft base with 12mm reinforcement bars as the columns. Well long story short i left the project as i told them i can't compromise the structural details as regards the building.

It's very important to maintain your integrity as Proffesionals so as not to stain yourself at the long run, forget about the money involved cos it's not worth other people's lives when the damage eventually occurs.

Money can't buy integrity. Rip to those that lost their lives...

(1) (Reply)

Yaba Property Sales Today / Access Bank Goes After Late Sunny Odogwu's Properties Over 50b Debt... / Gbagada Duplexes *for Sale*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.