Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Broken Glass (18+) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Broken Glass (18+) (4833 Views)

Those Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones / BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo / The Broken Glass: Humanity Is The Cure.. A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 6:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
Lena had always been kind, I was hesitant with her, waiting for the judgements or insults that came from other females. But they never reared their head. Eventually, I started to think of her as a friend. I hadn't had a friend since my parents died. Though I wasn't sure how to have a girlfriend anymore. Lena was bubbly and liked to talk about pop culture that I wasn't familiar with, or fashion and makeup. She was a good woman and a friend even if we were from different backgrounds.

Jason didn't bother me much. I assumed that if Alex and Michael trusted him, then he wasn't a bad man. I just needed my space. And he seemed to understand. He gave me distance when he was in the suite and offered nothing more than a kind smile and a polite hello or goodbye.
Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
My mind wandered as I got myself ready for bed. With my weakened arms and leg braces, it was easier for me to wear dresses and nightgowns. Simple garments that I could change into while sitting down. Though panties were still a challenge from time to time.

Damn it.

And of course, it just happened to be a night that nothing wanted to cooperate. I had managed to change into my nightgown, tossing my red knit t-shirt dress into the laundry hamper for the maids. I had even removed my leg braces and set them on the nightstand. But changing my panties, I just couldn't get my feet into the correct holes without losing my grip on them completely.
Before long, I found myself falling face first to the bedroom floor. Seconds later, Michael ran into the room, sending my door crashing into the wall behind it.

"Oh!"

We both blushed as he looked away and I rolled over to a less awkward position that didn't have my naked backside facing him.

"Um, you need some help?" He asked as he chuckled awkwardly, staring at the wall.

I wiggled my way into my panties and pulled down my nightgown before I answered. I wish I could say it was the first time such a thing happened. But that would be a lie.

"Sure, help getting back into bed would be nice." I was seriously tempted to not wear panties at all for the trouble they got me into.

He easily scooped me up and placed me into the center of the bed so that he could sit next to me. "How was your game with Alex?"

"I lost. Again."

A deep rumble of his humor vibrated against my arm. "You're getting better, every day. Your gamesmanship and everything else."

Everything else.

It sounded like such a massive list of things that I had to improve on. I had no official education, I stopped attending school after my parents death. No one wanted me there, so I was left alone when I stopped going to class in my grief. Physically, I still looked sick. I was weak and couldn't take care of myself. I was reconnected to my wolf, but hadn't shifted in years. Warrior training was never something I was allowed to attend even if I could have gotten past my fears to do it. Omega's weren't granted such skill training. I had no land, no pack, no title, or money.

"Hey, why the frown Ivy bud?" Michael nudged me.

I chewed on my lower lip as I thought of how to explain my strange mood. "I asked Alex about his mate."

"Oh. And what about it made you frown?" I could hear the note of caution in his voice.

"He loved her very much, didn't he?"

"Yes."

I let out a breath. "It just makes me wonder why I could never find that. I mean, the Moon Goddess paired me with Dante. What's wrong with me that everything conspired to put him in my life?"

His arm wrapped around me and pulled me closer. I flinched, but it smoothed away quickly and I relaxed into comforting contact.

"Nothing Ivy. Nothing was ever wrong with you. I don't know why you were paired with that bastard, but I blame all of your hardships on him. Had he been more of a man and never joined Don in his twisted world, perhaps he would have been a better mate for you."

"But now I can't offer a man anything, Mich. I'm too weak and dependent on everyone else. The only real skill I have is cooking, but it will be months before anyone will trust me in a kitchen alone because I can't walk right let alone lift a pan. I don't have an education. I'm too sickly to even count as cute, let alone gain a man's attention if I wanted it. And I don't. I can't even sleep through the night without the nightmares. How could I offer a man intimacy or a family, let alone anything else of worth?"
Michael growled as he shifted to look at me more closely.

"Don't ever think like that." His eyes glowed as his wolf came forward, I saw it and dropped my eyes to his collarbone in respect, not wanting to challenge such a powerful wolf.

"If he is an honorable male, he would never push you for intimacy, your companionship and laughter would be enough. If he is a wolf true to our nature, he would want to provide for you and protect you. If he is a man worth your devotion, he would love you for the woman you are and see the beauty you try to hide back in these lonely suites."

How?

How could his wolf see me like that?

I didn't deserve such faith or respect.

He coughed slightly to break up the tension, the intimacy. "I should let you sleep."

I nodded silently. Though once awkwardness was there, it reminded me of the question I had asked Alex. Would it be the wrong time to ask Mich the same thing? I was just trying to understand the people around me, but something about the moment before turned the perspective ever so slightly.

But I was scared that I would chicken out if I waited. "What about your mate?" I whispered before I could stop myself.

Michael stood at the door and turned around, his face emotionless. "That is a complicated story for another time." He started to turn to leave and then paused, looking over his shoulder. "Why are you suddenly so curious about everyone's mates?"

My shoulders lifted while I played with the sheet in my lap. "Earlier, when we started our chess game, the king said the Mating Ball was next month."

"Hoping to choose a mate?" He turned fully and leaned on the door frame.

"I don't know if I will even go. It's so many people. I don't want to keep either of you from finding your mates if I have another panic attack."

Slowly he pushed off from the wood of the door frame and walked back over and placed a chaste kiss on the top of my head. "I found my mate a couple of years ago. Like I said, it's complicated. Alex already found his. Neither of us are really looking for a second chance. So, you won't interfere with anything. Now relax. Goodnight Ivy."

1 Like

Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 7:24am On Nov 28, 2021
EPISODE FIFTEEN (15)

I stepped out of Ivy's room and started heading to my own when Alex stopped me.

"Don't confuse the girl."

"Confuse her how?" I snapped.

"You were quite passionate in getting to think better of herself and finding a mate. She may start to think that you're applying for the position."

I detoured from my room and made my way into the library across the hall, where Alex sat in front of the fire.

"Is that why you told her about Maria? To put up a wall?"
My brother shrugged. "I told her the truth, nothing more, nothing less."

Then he pulled his eyes away from the fire. "But are you trying to pursue her?"

I shook my head. "She isn't ready for anyone. That's not an issue. I just don't want to see her give up. I don't want her to hide away for the rest of her year and then choose to follow her mate and give up on her life. I want to see her choose to live and forget about that worthless piece of shit who hurt her."

"As do I." He took a drink of the amber colored liquid contained in a crystal glass.

"I can't get her squeaking and painful sounding voice out of my head as she begged me to kill her. I worry every night that she will give up and end it all early. That's why I make time to play chess, to see where she's at mentally, remind her that she's not alone, before she faces the darkness. I can't even imagine the nightmares you have." I ground my teeth at his correct assumptions, not that he noticed as he stood up and made his way to the bar.
Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 7:26am On Nov 28, 2021
His tense muscles showed something more than concern for me in his thinking. "I just have to ask this out right. Are you wanting to pursue her if she was more ready and willing?"

I stared at my brother's back. After all, he was the one who moved her into the royal suites, he was the one who instantly formed some strange bond with her. Even now, her wolf slowly opened up to the pack mind and she only communicates with him, no one else. I quickly stopped my line of thinking as my wolf paced with agitation. However, I was no longer sure if it was due to insult or jealousy.
Was I interested? I had never explicitly thought about any future with her other than protection and helping her live. The desperate grip of my chest to help her live.

The only honest answer I could give was simple. "I won't pursue her."

"Is this because of Evelyn?"

I leaned back with a huff.
Evelyn was only one reason of many. "What about you? What are your intentions with Ivy?"
Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 7:29am On Nov 28, 2021
Alex shook his head as he returned to his seat with a full glass of alcohol.

"You've changed since she arrived. Before, you've carried your anger, bottled up too tightly. Like you were afraid to show any emotion for the risk of letting them all show. Always eager to join a fight and vent the emotions you couldn't control. Since finding the girl, you've softened a bit, at least in private. More like the brother I've missed. You're starting to find your maturity and balance once again. It looks good on you."

He ignored my question. Then he shifted as if physically redirecting his focus.
"I know this change comes from a place of honest worry and concern for her. You won't do anything to intentionally hurt her. But I'm worried about you. I'm worried you're about to lose control entirely. And now is a bad time to do it, Ace tells me that Ivy will start her heat in the next few days. I just wanted to be certain we were on the same page. She's not ready, no matter what her body will try to tell her. I didn't want any confusion."

Her heat.

Well damn. I forgot that was going to be an issue.
Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 7:32am On Nov 28, 2021
Dropping my head and pressing my fingers to my temple, I tried to stop the headache forming with the reminder of that cycle. On average, a female werewolf would cycle every three months. Meaning they all had to take precautions a few more times, until her year was over. Then, hopefully she found a good, trustworthy mate to take care of her. "The fact that she's still bonded to that dipshit is pissing me off. If she rejects him, it wouldn't be as strong." I sighed.

"But Ace should be able to help her with her pains. That just leaves keeping unmated males out of the royal suites. Which is rather easy to do."

My brother's glare pointed out the obvious. I hadn't addressed his concerns about me.

"I'm not going to do anything!" My wolf snarled with indignation from the implied accusation. He shouldn't feel the need to worry.

"We are both technically unmated at the moment." He hadn't flinched from my wolf's reaction.

I growled, but continued. "Matt and Corey both have mates. They've been on the rotation for guarding the suite and she would recognize them, so I'll shift things to have them here more. I'll also keep Richard and Fernando on the rotation."

"They're not mated."

My chuckle was dry. "I assigned them to the royal suites when Rose moved in specifically because they are a couple. They are mates, but unmarked. They're gay brother mine. They won't touch her. Certainly not while on shift with their jealous lover."

The look of shock on his face was priceless. "That explains a lot."

The rolling of my eyes only added to the headache I was fighting. "I'll figure out the rest in the morning."

Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 7:33am On Nov 28, 2021
Excedrin. Where in the hell was that bottle of Excedrin?
My hands fumbled their way across my night stand. My head was killing me and I didn't want to even lift my head or open my eyes to look for anything. Unfortunately, I wasn't given much of a choice after fingers grazed the bottle, only to hear it crash, bounce, and roll across my wooden floor.

Why me?

With effort, I managed to pull myself out of bed to search for the plastic bottle containing the pills Ace gave me. Who knew that living so close to a female in heat would cause me to have migraines? The constant erections, that I was prepared for. The wet dreams at night were a given. The migraines... damn.

The good doctor said it wasn't common, however, could happen as a result of resisting the natural pull for so long. I wasn't so sure as the headaches started in the days leading up to Ivy's heat. How much resistance was there before the whole thing started?

Ugh.

I had never been around a female in heat before. Well, at least one that wasn't related to me. I hadn't realized before now just how much of a mercy biology allowed me before.

Direct blood relatives only experienced the female's heat as a change in scent, an awareness of what was happening, but no other physiological reaction. Thank the Moon Goddess that father's, son's and brother's were spared the misery and able to care for their female family.

Yet, I felt useless. Even leaving the suite to train and deal with my duties, the headaches remained. It would lessen, but I looked like an idiot walking around with sunglasses on while inside. The light hurt too much to even think of facing it all without them. And sound... shit. Wolf senses only made the whole thing so much worse.

And while I practically whimpered like a pup, Ivy suffered down the hall moaning in pain, begging for someone to help her.

Ace had given her pills to help, some kind of anti-inflammatory, pain killer and muscle relaxer combo. I wasn't sure. But she mostly slept and didn't leave her room at all. Lena or one of the maids were the only ones to help.

My head rested on my mattress while I knelt on the floor. The bottle in one hand and a glass of water in the other. I really was pathetic.

How could Alex handle it?

Maybe it was because he was stronger? Or was it because he lived through the pull for years with his own mate? Whatever reason, it was a serious challenge on my control.

I was a prince.

I was heir to the throne. I was Captain of the Guard. And I was crumpled to the floor, on my knees, in pain over a girl.
With the humiliation came the memories. I ground my teeth to push the thoughts of Evelyn back behind their walls.

I swore to never let a woman cripple me again. But Ivy wasn't Evelyn, it wasn't her choice, the situation wasn't the same.

Had it been any other girl, I would have been in her room helping her through it or moving out of the territory completely. But as it was, I couldn't forgive myself if I let my discomfort disrupt the fragile flower in the other room. Instead, I would man up and suffer in relative silence, never letting her know the impact that resulted from something she had no control over.

Pulling myself together, I forced myself to go shower and get ready to start my day.
Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 10:14am On Dec 04, 2021
EPISODE SIXTEEN (16)

Ivy's Pov

The burning, aching fever that wracked my body had left me exhausted. Though I had appreciated the medications Ace gave me. Perhaps I needed to forgive the guy for his aggressive bedside manor when we first met.

Maybe.

Physically, it had been the least painful cycle I had been through and the medications helped me to sleep more than suffer. Though it was the first cycle to experience with my wolf and that was an emotional agony I hadn't expected.

Females didn't start experiencing their heat cycle until they met their true mate or gained the mark of a choice mate. My wolf was locked away from me. My poor wolf had never learned to cope with the overwhelming need.
It was a biological drive to push the mates together, to breed and eventually perpetuate the species.

Sigh.

Mates.

Dante didn't deserve such a title. Ever.

How he managed to deny his wolf access to his mate, during such times, seriously confused me. Not that I was going to complain. After he completed the mating bond by marking me with our bodies united, his mind slowly cleared and he realized that he hadn't felt a resistance. It was only then that he realized I wasn't a virgin. The assumed humiliation of thinking his mate was the pack slut, had driven him to rage, marking me repeatedly to somehow erase any other male from my past.

Not that it worked, he was my past, him and his disgusting friends. However, I only made his anger worse when I was able to find my feet and grab a knife from the kitchen where he found me. I recognized him right away, I tried to fight him. I tried to stop our mating. I tried to kill him. And when I tried to reject him completely, in my sobbing, screaming hysterics, he ordered me to be silent. All he saw was a disrespectful LovePeddler who didn't deserve to be his Luna. He vowed to never put a pup in my belly, that he could find a better female to warm his bed. He never touched me again. No matter what his wolf wanted.

And it was an internal battle that caused so much pain.
Driven by a volatile combination of his personal desperation to hurt me and his raging hormones during my heat cycle, he had committed inexcusable atrocities. Whatever he did to me was one thing. To take out his issues with me on other females was beyond comprehension. My heart broke to learn of his crimes, even more to learn of his daughter.

He had a child.

One he never wanted. A little girl who was better without that monster in her life. Yet, it was a reminder of something I would never have.

Why would he be blessed to have a child? How was he blessed to even have a mate? While I was ruined. The reality hit my wolf the hardest.
Despite my fears, I knew that my wolf had wanted to find a mate. After my first shift, when we had first met, she spent a lot of time trying to convince me that the other pack members were wrong. That I wasn't to blame for my parents deaths as my uncle claimed, that I wasn't a worthless LovePeddler.

She knew that we were alpha blood. She promised that we would find a mate who would stop the bullying from the other females, who would protect us from other males, who would help us find happiness with a family of our own.

Oh how wrong she was.
And as we raged through the heated cycle, she filled my head with nearly bipolar swings between hormone driven lust that scorched me from the inside out, and the body trembling grief of knowing her needs and dreams weren't being fulfilled. With each hour that passed, the more agonized she was that she wouldn't find comfort with another wolf. With each day, her howls grew louder as she knew she would not become a mother this cycle.

All I could do was curl myself into a ball in my bathtub, soak in cold water to help fight the fevers, and let her sort through her emotions. I stepped back. I had no other control and I didn't want to fight her for it.

"Ivy, it's time to finish the bath." Lena's voice carried through.

"Your medicine is kicking in and you can't fall asleep in the water." I could feel her hand reach in to pull the stopper and let the water drain out.

It was easier to just sleep in the tub. The cool enameled tub felt better on my skin than the sheets. It saved me from falling as I raced for another bath after waking in fevered sweats. And I didn't soak the mattress with my pheromones. Two days of sweating out my lust would have made it near impossible to breath if I stayed in the bed.
As the water finished draining, I weakly dried my skin, then Lena gave me a pillow and a sheet as I rolled over to sleep once again.

"Get some rest. I'm going to go check on Jason, but I'll be back in a couple of hours, Sugar."

"Thank you Lena. I mean it. You've done more for me than anyone ever has."

"I'm happy to help Ivy. Just get your rest." I heard the bedroom door click shut a few moments later.

Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 10:15am On Dec 04, 2021
I woke with a start as I heard gun shots followed by crashing in the hall outside my room. Seconds later, one of the hall guards ran into my room and locked the door behind him. "Sorry my lady, but we have an intruder, I'm going to shut the bathroom door and remain in your room until the situation has been handled."

"Where is my mate!" Dante's roar echoed through the growls and crashes that I heard. That couldn't be good.

He was supposed to be locked in the prisons.
And he had never wanted me.

Only his wolf did...

Damn.

If his wolf was in control, he was desperately trying to... oh goddess.
As quickly as I could, I climbed out of the tub and wrapped the sheet around me as tight as I could. "Alex?" I called out in the mind link. I could already feel the impacts of Dante's injuries, the pain causing me to scream out.

"I heard, I'm on my way. Stay out of sight and let the guards handle it."
I crumpled to the ground as my leg felt as if it was ripped apart.

"Stop!" I couldn't stop the screams.

"Shit! Don't hurt him!" The guards voice yelled out. "She can still feel it!"

A pain filled whimper sent shivers down my spine, not in fear, but in lust. My wolf was clawing and fighting for control. In that moment, she didn't think about the pain being sent through the mating bond. She forgot about the past. She didn't remember the pain or the abuse he had inflicted. All she knew was that her mate was close by and she wanted to reach him.

Yelling and screaming, I tried to hold on. I was desperate to keep her from doing something stupid. With each whine and howl, my control slipped. Biology was demanding that mates be united.

Horrified, I watched as my wolf took over and moved toward the door. Our head swam with the rush of hormones and I could already feel the sweat beading on my skin as my weak legs trembled.

The full impact of the heat was crashing into me with the proximity of my true mate, burning through the heavy medications I had taken.
The guards eyes grew wide as the door between us opened. "You need to go back inside. I can't let you out."

My wolf growled and shoved him further from the bathroom door and feebly ran toward the door that separated her from her mate. Had the guard expected our non-compliance, I'm sure he would have stopped us. However, he appeared shocked by the physical movement and it was enough for him to lose his footing and trip over the corner of the table nearby.

Shit.

Get up!

I needed him to stop my wolf.

Disappointment crashed through me as the door opened to show a naked Dante pinned on the floor, losing the fight as tranquilizer darts clung to his naked muscles. Blood and bruises littered his pale skin. Injuries I already knew. Injuries I had felt.
My wolf growled and launched herself toward our mate in desperation.
The remaining guards stepped back in uncertain hesitation. They knew they weren't permitted to touch me unless it was an issue of health or safety. And with Dante, safety was a significant question mark. But as he laid there, barely conscious, there was little he could do. And with my heat, the risk of losing control themselves was high. I could see their eyes as they scented my heat peaking.

Tears rolled down his heavily beaten face as I removed the tranquilizer darts and rolled him to his back.

"I'm sorry." He whined as he saw me. "I'm so sorry. I always wanted you. I never wanted to hurt you. Please believe me, mate. I'm sorry and I won't let my human have control again. He won't touch you. Just let us be together." His voice was starting to slur.

Sparks ignited everywhere that our skin touched.
It was sensory overload as my heat flared higher. The pain in my core screaming for attention. My skin slick with sweat.

Panting, my body moved to straddle his hips, one flat palm on his strong pectoral muscles. My eyes locked with his golden ones.
The growl of acceptance and satisfaction he gave rumbled between my thighs, heightening my panic. Please, please! This couldn't happen!

'Trust me.' My wolf spoke through our mind. 'Just trust me.'

My hands moved to unwrap the sheet that covered us, our mates eyes widened at the sight. "Look very closely, mate."

She growled. "Look at the scars you allowed him to make. Look at the way our body has withered away, barely able to stand on our own legs after years of being chained to the floor without adequate food."

Dante's eyes filled with pain.
"I would kill him if I could, but he is me. I cannot live without him. You cannot live without him. But he doesn't deserve you. He'll never touch you again."

"You're right. He never will. And neither will you." My wolf's rage was seering. "This pain we suffer is because of you, because of this bond. That is something that can be fixed."

"Wait! No! Please! I want you, you can't do this!" He tried to move, but the medications had already taken their effect.
In a swift movement, my free hand raised and slammed down above his heart, tranquilizer dart in hand.

"We can. And we will." She leaned forward to snarl in his face, ignoring the pain in our own chest.
"We, Ivy Ray and her joined wolf, both reject you Dante Ken and your wolf, who allowed the man to rape a child, who took over to seal a mating bond without our consent and continued to mark us to prove ownership over our lack of virginity as though we were a LovePeddler when it was your human and his friends who took it from us. You were equally to blame for the failures of your joined human."

1 Like

Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 10:30am On Jan 07, 2022
EPISODE SEVENTEEN (17)

Michael's Pov

The moment I heard that Dante had managed to escape and make it to the royal suite, I was in fur. My paws raced through the pack lands and wouldn't stop for anyone until I was sure Ivy was safe.

As I pushed toward the entrance closest to the suites, I saw Alex's massive muddy red wolf tearing across the clearing as well. We were so focused on getting to the door, we nearly ran into each other. But in seconds, we both shifted into our skin and ran through the halls and up stairs, not giving a damn about our nudity.

It wasn't like the pack hadn't seen us before.

Bare feet slapping on cool tile floors as we closed in on the doors to our suite. I could hear Dante begging. My wolf wanted to rip out his tongue.
The scent of blood and lust heavy, Ivy's heat still hadn't retreated.

F*ck!

But as we ran down the final hall toward the open door, we could see her naked back as she straddled the male under her.

Double f*ck!!

She wouldn't give in and do that. Would she? With him? After everything he did. She couldn't.

My chest was tight.

But it was her words that slid me to a stop just behind her.

Rejection.

She fought against her heat and rejected him.

I'd never heard of such a thing.
It resurfaced memories best left forgotten. Too many emotions to keep my head focused.
Stunned it took me a moment to process it, until Ivy threw her head back and let out a blood curdling scream as the bond was shattered into little more than a few thin threads.

Dante arched as he screamed, but I could care less about his pain.

I moved on instinct alone.

My hands were quick to gather her up and pull her off of the suddenly unconscious former alpha as a wave of power exploded from her. Her heat and peaked and finally broke like an intense fever.

All that was left was the fragile girl I promised to protect. Her body was soaked as it pushed the rest of her pheromones from her skin, her limbs trembled and her teeth chattered in the sudden rush of cold that replaced the heat.

"I've got you Ivg." I saw a sheet under her and pulled it around her.

There was a wide range of questions, investigation, and follow-up needed concerning how the bastard managed to escape the prisons and make it to the royal suites, but at the moment, she was the priority.

"Your Majesty?" I looked at my brother who was pacing in his rage, flexing his fists and glaring at the punching bag on the floor.

"We don't know how much the bond has been broken. Hitting him could still hurt Rose."

Alex's eyes snapped to mine.
"I am well aware of it, otherwise, he would already be dead." And he was the one to comment on my emotions?

Holding on to Ivy had helped me calm down. Knowing she was safe gave me control. I didn't want to let her go, but I knew that I had to. I needed to focus on my duty. "Her heat is breaking. She's cold and needs a warm bath. Ivy trusts you more than me on such things. Why don't you take care of her and I'll take care of him?"

After all, I was Captain of the Guard, it was my job. No matter how much I would rather shut it all out and focus on caring for the girl instead.

My brother ground his teeth and then nodded. I slowly passed the exhausted girl to him and I saw the tension leave his shoulders as it had mine.

What was it about that girl?

"I don't know how he made it here." Richard defended. "No one was running after him, so the guards in the prison must not have realized his escape."

I quickly tried to mind link with Bruno, who was supposed to be supervising the prison.

Nothing.

Then I worked my way down to the guards on duty. Still nothing. They would be my next stop, in the meantime, I called other guards and had them go check out the situation. I understood Dante's wolf's determination to get out and find his mate. He had suffered from Ivy's heat more than anyone other than Ivy. It was primal and instinctive for his wolf to want to get to his mate and do what came naturally.

However, an escape was a serious lack of protocol. Worse that he was the monster who hurt her in the first place.

Damn it all.

"So, walk me through it. Dante approached without anyone else following him until he got here. Then what?"

"Well..." Fernando rubbed his neck. "We had just taken over for Kori and Ivan, for their lunch break before we were going to take over for Matt and Corey. And he was barreling for us. We fired two warning shots. And got off two tranqs before he engaged us. However, we withheld normal force. That's why he got passed the doors at all."

I was about to rage at the ineptitude of holding back. But Richard jumped in. "We exhibited physical restraint because of Lady Ivy. She would have been hurt."

Fucking hell. I knew it.

I argued it with myself as well. That bond had been a weakness Dante had taken full advantage of. He knew we wouldn't outright hurt her and that gave him more leeway than most. The sneaky sonofabitch.

"As soon as Fernando mindlinked the issue, I took post in the lady's room." Matt joined in. "She had been sleeping in the bathtub. So, I shut the door to the bathroom and told her to stay put and let us handle the situation."

"The bathtub?" Richard question.

Matt glared at him. "You've obviously never had a girlfriend or female mate. What about a sister?"

The other man shook his head.

"Whatever, it's common for females in heat." He would be the man to know, with four sisters and a mate... He was woefully outnumbered at family events. I didn't envy the man. He was a damned good lieutenant though.

"So, how did she get out."
That was the first time I've ever seen Matt blush.

"Yeah, she surprised me when she came out in a sheet, her wolf in full control and close to shifting. She pushed me and managed to trip me up. She was out the door before I could regain my feet." My lieutenant was pushed out of the way by a fragile girl who could barely walk? Now that just ain't right.

"I'll tell you though, that little she-wolf was fierce and pissed off." Corey jumped in.

"We caused as few injuries as possible to not hurt her while taking him down. But that girl played him good. I thought they were going to mate right there in front of all of us, but she fucking rejected him. About time too. But I've never heard of a wolf fighting against the overwhelming lust, to physically be in contact and naked, only to reject their mate.

"Damn!"

"Yeah, I'm glad I don't have a she-wolf in my life." Richard mumbled.

"That was fucking scary to watch. She stabbed him in the fucking heart with the tranq. It was mostly used already, but in the heart. Lady Ivy might still be healing and gaining strength, a strong female, but that wolf of hers is terrifying."

I fought not to smile at their fear of her wolf. It was good that her wolf was gaining strength. Better that some of the best warriors recognized it. It gave me hope that together, Rose and her wolf would be alright in the end.

"Captain." Chad called over the mindlink.

"What?"

"The prison guards are unconscious. Bruno was found passed out in some female's bed and is detained." I growled at the news, but when the guards in front of me stood more straight, I pointed to my head to let them know it was a mind link.

Chad continued. "Until they're conscious, that's all I got. But I have others on the way here to take over duties and haul them all to medical. More on the way to you to gather the escapee."

"Good, keep me posted."

A calloused hand ran down my face. I seriously wanted to go to sleep to shake off the rest of my damned migraine. Or rip my own men apart for their incompetence. How in the hell had they screwed up in the prisons?

"Any of you need to seek medical?" I looked at the males in front of me. I knew they were conscious and not seriously injured but I didn't want them to wait too long if there were other issues to tend to. After they all said no, I set things to task.

The door needed to be fixed, the hallway cleaned, Dante needed to go to the medical wing and then locked up with extra security. Lucky bastard got out of it with minimal injuries.

Again.

And with Ivy's heat breaking, I ordered the maids to open a couple windows to air out the pheremones that still lingered, and change her bedding.

Finally, Matt and Corey could spend a little more time with their mates. They earned it after suffering through extra long shifts with the potent hormones in the air, returning to their own mates to be met with jealousy. Hell, they needed a few days off to devote to their mates and get fresh air.

So did Richard and Fernando. At least they didn't have to deal with insecure females when they left after their shift. They had always been scheduled together to limit those worries.
I let out a long, slow sigh. Perhaps it was time I put clothes on? After a shower, I needed a shower. I ran straight from training and stood there covered in sweat, mud and grass. I was surprised no one had pointed it out.

Whatever.

All that really mattered was that I was clean and dressed before I went to check on Ivy.
The shower was quick, my muscles protesting my impatience. I didn't bother to wait for the water to warm.

"How's she coping?" I asked Alex while I washed.

"She just fell asleep." He paused. "If you have a few, I need to get cleaned up and want to follow up on a couple things. She can stay in my bed and I'll sleep on the sofa when I'm done. I just don't want to leave her alone tonight."

"Agreed. Be there in five."

1 Like

Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 9:32am On Jan 08, 2022
EPISODE EIGHTEEN (18)

Ivy's Pov

"So, are you excited about ditching these leg braces?" Lena smiled at me as she joined me on the private balcony at the back of the royal dining room.

It had quickly become one of my favorite places to sit and read in between my walking exercises. So many years in a cell, having sun and fresh air was a necessity. And though I still wasn't completely comfortable with the idea of leaving the royal suites to walk around the rose gardens below, I enjoyed viewing them from the upper floor sitting area.

They reminded me of my mother, a good memory to hold on to.

I frowned slightly after I sat down my cup of tea. "It's not like I haven't been walking without the braces. I've been practicing, longer periods without them. Besides, I still need the crutches."

She shrugged a slender shoulder. Her red hair glowing in the sunlight. "Progress, dear Ivy. Progress. This time, Ace can take the braces away for good. It will make it easier to find a dress for you."

Thank the Moon Goddess I had set down my tea! Otherwise it would have ended up everywhere.

"What dress? I already wear dresses."

"A dress dress. Not a t-shirt dress. You know, for the Mating Ball."

The eye roll was an honest expression of my feelings on that topic. "I'm not going."

"Why not?" Lena gasped.

"I'm not ready to seriously go looking for a mate." I whined.

"I know the advertised purpose is to allow elite bloodlines to meet from many packs in hopes of finding their mates, but there is so much more to it. It is a chance for all of the packs to meet together, to network, form alliances, bring up problems to the king that are too big to handle alone, but too small to call him on an emergency basis."

I leaned back, further into my chair as if the wicker furniture would protect me from the female's dreams and plans.

"All I hear is a room full of the most powerful werewolves in the world. Lots of them. Males who don't like to be told no."
There was a period of silence as Lena processed that.

"Ivy. I understand your fears, well as best as I can understand when I've never been through what you have." She shook her head like it was going where she didn't want.

"My point is that the ball would be a chance for you to prove to everyone that you are strong. Prove it to yourself. You were the first born child of a pack beta. You were the heir to the alpha position, born of alpha blood, only beta because you father was second born. You have the blood to be their equal. You have the right to be in that room. And none of them can take that away."

My eyes stared at her so long they started to sting from lack of blinking. Could I really do such a thing? I lived more of my life as an omega than in their circles. I spent most of my life hiding from the higher level wolves of Midnight Meadows, only to end up hidden away from everyone for years.

After Dante's sentencing, Blood Moon and Midnight Meadows had been separated into two packs again, both with new leadership. I had no intentions of making a claim to either pack. Nor did I really want to face the wolves who did lead them. Both wolves who won the alpha titles had been wolves I knew years ago as children. They grew up in Midnight Meadows, knowing my shame.

Hell, everyone knew my story after that trial. Rumors flew, I was sure. And King Alexander's determination to make sure nothing like it ever happened again, probably caused more than one alpha to soil their pants in fear.

Could I face those people?

"I think you'll break his Majesty's heart if you don't go." Lena pouted.

I could feel the pressure of my eyebrows crunching as I frowned. That was a low blow.

Alex had mentioned the ball once and hadn't brought it up since. But my wolf whined at the thought of disappointing the king.

Then, as another idea struck, Lena waggled her eyes. "Or maybe I need to pull Prince Michael into this?"

My frown deepened. What was she insinuating?

"You know that neither of them would let anyone touch you. They're far too protective of you for that." Then she leaned back and crossed her legs. "Of course, if you're not there, then it gives all the other unmated females hope of snagging their attention... or a quick romp in the closet."

"What?" I sputtered at the last part. "They wouldn't... in the closet? Ewe."

Lena's face dropped. "That! That is what gets a reaction from you? That I said it would be in the closet?" She threw up her hands. "I give up. You are hopelessly oblivious."

I didn't want to answer her. I wasn't ready for a mate. I had gotten better at tolerating new men in a room without flinching, though I remained vigilant of their every move. The only ones I could relax around were the inner circle, guards, Ace, Lena, Jason, the king and his brother. None of the guards or Jason touched me. Only Lena, Alex and Mich could do so comfortably.

Acr did, but it took some mental prep to not pull away.
So, why was she pushing for me to jump into anything with Alex or Michael?

Or was she fishing for my reaction to see if I liked either male? Well that was stupid.

They were both special to her in unique ways, but I never thought of mates. I wasn't worthy of their affections in such a way.

Alex was the king, he needed a strong mate to rule by his side. Not a scared girl struggling to find all the shattered fragments of her soul.
Michael was even less likely. He was the heir, the future king who needed an equally strong female. But he had been distant since the heat cycle broke.

I didn't know why, but there was a dark cloud hanging over that friendship that I didn't know how to fix. Certainly that showed just how ridiculous Lena's ideas were.

"Just drop it Lena." I sighed.

The truth was she made me think of things I didn't want to think about. No matter how much I learned to trust the two royal brothers or how much protection they gave, I would never be their match. I felt guilty as it was for being a drain on their attention from their other duties. They should be out there looking for a female who is beautiful, who can meet their biological needs and give them a family. That wasn't me.

Hours later, I remained in the comfy padded wicker chair. A throw blanket protected me from the lingering chill in the air as spring crept in. I continued to read the book I started before Lena's visit. It had been interrupted by Ace and lunch, so I hadn't gotten far.

"What are you reading this time?" I looked up at the king. I knew he was there. I heard his steps and caught a whiff of his scent. Still, I turned to glance at his hazel eyes.

I held up the book. "The Art of War."

His normally controlled expression broke. "Only you little wolf, only you. I expect to see improvement in your chess game after the book."

I growled at him for his taunting response.
With practiced grace, he unbuttoned his standard suit jacket and sat in the other chair.

"Most women I've met, wolf or human, would be reading Pride and Prejudice or something of that nature. You, you're reading about Chinese philosophies on warfare. Last time I asked, it was Aristotle. The time before that, it was Stephen Hawking."

"Most girls finished school. I've only had the library to learn from and then years with nothing." I tossed back comfortably.

It still surprised me sometimes that I was let into the king's inner circle. I saw a side to him others didn't. "I don't like feeling behind everyone." I answered honestly.

He leaned back. His eyes on the wolves who wandered through the gardens and grassy paths to other areas of the territory. "I've wondered what life was like when you were an omega. It sounds like you had it rough." His voice was hesitant.

It wasn't something I liked to think about. "Worse than some I guess, but not as bad as others." It was honest.

"What did you do through those years?"

"I worked in the kitchen for the pack school. I made snack and lunch for the students. After school, I was permitted to go into the school library and check out books. The librarian was a cranky woman, but she was the only one who refused to let me give up on my education entirely." I shrugged.

"In the evenings, the school kitchen also served dinner for other lower ranking wolves coming back from their duties." It was a good place to work. Far away from my uncle and the pack leadership. Nowhere near the warriors. As behind the scenes as I could get, even from most of the lower ranking wolves. Besides, I enjoyed it. There was a peace that came with working with my hands and knowing that there was a purpose.

To my surprise he grinned. "I remember hearing something about you knowing how to cook. Ace removed your leg braces and said you can walk short distances without the crutches. If you think you're up to it and want to, you are welcome to raid the prep kitchen next to the dining room. If you need anything, just ask the maids, they'll send someone." He sighed as if picturing the dishes already.

"I can't wait to see what you could whip up."

My heart melted. Instead of prying more or giving me looks of pity, he showed confidence in my skills and encouraged me to explore it more.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"You can thank me with desserts."

For a moment, he looked like a little boy hoping to get the first cookie out of the oven.

"I love fruit anything. Pies, tarts, ice cream with berries, anything. Mich's all about chocolate. You know, for future reference."

And I couldn't help it. A sound escaped my lips that I hadn't thought I was capable of.

I laughed.

Just a small few seconds of it, but it was laughter.

My hands flew over my face and shock and I could feel the raised cheeks that indicated a smile.

A real smile.

How?

I looked back to Alex and he smiled back. "Who knew talking desserts would make you light up?"

Trying my best to shove my emotions down, I redirected. "Who knew food talk was more enjoyable than girl talk?"

Oh.

That was not what I had in my head to say. Not even close.
He raised a brow.

"Forget it." I mumbled.

"Unlikely." He dead panned. "Is Lena giving you a hard time?"

"Not really. She's wonderful. She's just over excited about the Mating ball. And I can't relate to the normal girly stuff. I don't want to spend hours styling hair or putting on makeup to prance around like a piece of jewelry to be worn once and forgotten about. All for what? To meet a guy who only sees the fake image presented?"

It was His Majesty's turn to laugh.

"Surprises at every turn." He shook his head. "I assumed you were more hesitant about all of the males than about the girl stuff."

"Both." I jumped in immediately.

"Definitely both. And adding in all of the gossip. They all know my story, how could I face them? How could I meet the new Luna of Snowy Mountain, knowing what Dante did to her? Because of me? For what? To show off how much he ruined me?" Words raced out of my lips as my anxiety grew.

"Ruined you?" Phalen's jaw dropped. "He did no such thing."

I shook my head. "I know that I've never been overly pretty, but then the scars and the emaciated way I look."

"Stop." He growled. "You are not emaciated. When Mich first found you, you were starving. But you've gained weight to a healthy level. Still thin, but beautifully so. You have nothing to be ashamed of."

He reached for my hand and pulled me from my seat, into his lap. His warm arms wrapped around me protectively.
"Don't overthink things. You will find the right guy. Someone you trust. And the only way you will know you trust him is if you show all of yourself and see nothing but love in return." He kissed the top of my head.

"You might not meet him at the ball and that's okay. Maybe you meet him and take your time growing into the trust and romance. That's okay too. But don't ever feel like you need to hide who you are or who you've become. Show your scars, hold your head high, and let everyone get to know the strong woman and her alpha she-wolf who survived."

I curled into his warmth and comforting words.

"And if anyone says anything you don't like, you tell Michael or I. We have no problems in putting people in their place."

"You can't go around beating up everyone in the room. That's bad politics."

He huffed. "I can. I'm the king."

There was a long pause.
My mind wandered back to Lena's fishing.

"Can I..." I paused, unsure of my next words. "Can you think of any other way to help me, separate from Dante other than finding a new mate and gaining a mating mark?"

Alex looked at me again. "I wish there was some other way. I've had the scholars and doctors searching their records for any other option. There are really only two options." I slouched knowing them both.

"Either Dante and his wolf come to full terms about everything and willingly agree to remove their mark from you." Which was highly unlikely to happen. "Or, you have to find another mate to replace their mark."

"That wolf is the problem. He'll never let me go."

"I know. I'm sorry. I hope you find a new mate and be happy, but I don't want to push you into it with someone you don't trust. I know it's a lot to ask, just to have you try, but that's why I invited you to the Mating Ball. Not with hopes of you finding someone that night and solving all of your problems, but to at least get out and try. You can't meet anyone hiding in the royal suites, and I doubt you would learn to trust someone in the last few weeks of your deadline. It will be a process, long and slow. But it has to start for it to ever gain momentum."

I nodded. I understood what he said and what he was hoping for. The king had always been honest with me about my options.

The trust that I felt for him or Michael were enough to give me hope. I was just scared of hoping too much and getting hurt again.

"Did I do something wrong?" I mumbled.

"Why would you think that?"

I sighed as I returned to my own seat. "The prince seems to avoid me now. I haven't seen him since my heat broke."

"He is dealing with his own issues. You didn't do anything wrong at all." He paused. "You still up for our game?"

Yeah, I needed some time to get my mind focused on something else.
Re: Broken Glass (18+) by Wiiikyreads: 10:55am On Jan 13, 2022
EPISODE NINETEEN (19)

Michael's Pov

"Hey boss man." Matt groaned as he walked into my office and then froze, staring at me.

"Did you sleep in your office?"

What was the first clue? The sight of me stretched across the sofa, the sweatpants that I wore yesterday still on me, or my hands rubbing the sleep from my eyes? I mentally rolled my eyes as a begrudgingly sat up. My fingers scratching their way through my hair in an effort to get my brain working again. "What do you got?"

Matt wasn't easily distracted. "Seriously, why in the hell did you sleep here? You have a perfectly comfy looking bed at the other end of the East wing."

"Just felt like it."

He huffed. "Would it have something to do with Ivy?"

"Don't know what you're talking about. Now get down to business." I snapped.

It wasn't his fault, it was my own for getting caught sleeping in my office as I have several times lately. I just didn't want to talk about it.

A stack of folders dropped on my desk with a loud slapping sound that pierced my already sensitive head. I never did fully get rid of that damned headache, even after Ivy's heat broke.

"Mich, this has been going on long enough." Matt's voice was firm and commanding.

Something my wolf didn't like at all. I was his supervisor, his future alpha. There was no stopping the authoritative growl that rumbled in my chest.

"No. I won't cower because you feel ruffled. You're my prince, my future king, and my friend. It's my duty to make sure you are safe and protected and right now, I'm not sure you are."

"Let it go."

His eyes rolled. "Did you have to say that? Now I have a fucking Disney song stuck in my head."

Good. Serves him right.

They had other things to worry about.

"How are things coming with the clinic?" I tried to get him off his topic.

"Reports are coming back in good order. But burying yourself in work isn't going to help the problem."

"Damn it Matt, leave it alone."

"You are such an idiot. She isn't Evelyn" I snarled and snapped my teeth at his reminder, it finally got Matt to take a step back, but he wouldn't back off.

"Mich, you're hurting yourself over the past. You have to face this before it brings you down."

"Get out!" I put the weight of my authority into the order. He had no choice but to obey.

I hadn't realized how worked up I got until I was alone in the room with nothing but my own heavy breathing. I was losing control and nothing helped. That was what scared me most of all.

It had been three years since I really lost control. My rage, pain, and self doubt had all crippled me. But I was a prince. I couldn't afford to be seen as weak. I had to hold it together in public, lock everything away and not show any emotion. No one could know the war that raged within. Could I have done anything differently? Was I truly a monster? Or had I done the right thing?

I still didn't have answers to those questions. All that changed was the fierceness with which I battled myself. The war simmered, the mask that I set to cover the turmoil became baked into permanent shape, the image of a strong werewolf prince. The only crack was the small death wish that flared from time to time. I would never lead my men into trouble, nor would I show weakness. However, I did relish a good fight, always hoping for a strong enough opponent to get in a few good licks.

Perhaps they could deal me a small portion of the punishments that I felt I deserved. Maybe, just maybe, end it all together.

Then I found Ivy.

For a brief moment, I forgot about my past and my self loathing. All that mattered was protecting Ivy.

Yet, it fell apart.

Her rejection brought the memories and questions roaring back. Worse were the new fears and feelings of uncertainty. Was I the right person to help her? What would she think if she knew the truth? Would she trust the broken man I was underneath?

I shook my head.

The questions were pointless.
There was an obvious bond between her and Alex. I needed to stop focusing on my issues and get my shit together. Give them time and space to sort out whatever was brewing and rebuild my walls. That was the only option.

Focus.

I built those walls by focusing on work, making sure that I served my people. And that was what I was going to do again...

My eyes landed on the files on my desk. Lifting one at a time, I sighed. It would fucking help if everything I needed to do wasn't directly tied to Ivy.

F*ck.

"Old business updates." I groaned as I sat with my senior officers in our weekly meeting.

I knew the issues that would be discussed. Salt in the open wounds of my sanity.

I can do this.

I can keep my mask on long enough to make it permanent again.
"The former prison guards who let Dante escape have all been medically cleared by Ace and moved down to other rotations. Their new supervisors are watching them closely, but no incidents so far." Chad spoke up.

I had placed him in charge of that fiasco. Apparently, Bruno had staffed the placed to cover for his sneaking away to have a female rondevoux. However, he hadn't notified them of Ivy's heat, so when Dante collapsed in sudden and intense pain, they opened the doors and uncuffed him to check his medical status.

Idiots.

But I wouldn't hold them solely responsible since they didn't have complete information. They were simply moved to a less critical post.

Bruno, however, was demoted completely.

"Dante remains unchanged. Quiet and broken looking. But, I doubt he's lost all his marbles. I have two guards on his cell at all times and they are fully aware of the situation."

"Good." I already knew all of it, but the point of the meeting was to share updates and concerns across the six units under my watch, plus we invite Jason for any cross information with the legal department.

"What else?"

Corey cleared his throat. "The clinic is moving along nicely. My inspection of the site and the security protocols went well. There were a few incidents, but nothing they couldn't handle. Honestly, I think this project is shaping up better than anyone expected."

"I'll be sure to pass it along to His Majesty." Jason nodded.

"Legal is getting a lot of good feedback from the project."

"Has anyone told Ivy about any of this?" Matt asked.

The beta looked at him and shrugged. "I would assume the king would tell her if and when he feels it's the right time."

Fingers ran through dirty blonde waves. "I get it, and I'm certainly not gonna say anything. I wouldn't contradict the king. I'm just voicing my concern. She's a sweet girl whos been through a lot. Maybe letting her know some of the good news would help." My lieutenant pushed.

"Matt." I growled. He was treading over lines a little too freely. He was set to become the next Captain of the Guard if I ever became king, but that was assuming he didn't start get too cocky.

He seemed to get the message and bowed his head. "My apologies, Your Highness, Beta."

Jason nodded slowly. "Once we see more stability, I'm sure she will learn something about it. After all, it is named after her."

I swallowed down the smile that wanted to spread across my lips. The clinic wasn't just named after her. It had been her idea in a loose way. Just an off handed statement she made to Alex during one of their chess games.

"Speaking of the clinic." Bryant jumped in. "We now have three more females coming forward to accuse Dante. The accusations and evidence keeps piling up."

"Why bother, the guy was already tried and sentenced." Corey asked.

I answered quickly. "Because I'm not giving anyone a chance to build a repeal case while he waits through his year. I asked Bryant to keep the investigative unit working the case until we're sure we have everything. Just to be prepared."

(1) (2) (Reply)

[hindi Speech] Teachers Day 2016 Hindi Speech, Short Speech, Anchoring Speech / Kiss Me One More Night - Episode 2 / How Many Words Can You Form From 'TELEVISION'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 228
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.