Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank (2173 Views)

Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst / How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD / Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 4:23pm On Nov 03, 2021
The Below article is put together to address certain misconceptions that arise when Catalytic converters are talked up, Plus I've had some persons send me private messages on WhatsApp asking series of questions. It is my belief that this article would be educative to You...

I need to point out that the article was put together to the best of my knowledge, so I am open to more ideas and modifications...

Let's Talk about Catalysts

The function of the catalytic converter is to break down harmful pollutants that are created by your vehicle during the combustion cycle and convert them into less harmful gases. Code P0420 indicates that the catalytic converter is not functioning efficiently, therefore increasing the output of harmful pollutants by the vehicle.

What Are the Symptoms of a missing Catalyst?

Check Engine Light is on. This is not in most cases though, because I have got clients who said theirs didn't actually show it.

Lack of power from the engine. Most of you would agree that you can drive your car without a catalyst but climbing a hilly surface at times can be a struggle. This is partly attributed to the missing catalyst...

Decreased fuel economy. You would also witness a decrease in fuel economy. Your car uses more fuel than before because the missing catalyst has distorted the air fuel balance and that makes the sensor send an error code... If you don't fix that, you would likely be using more fuel than before...

Another thing is that you would agree that the sound of your car would be different when there isn't a catalyst than when there was. And without a catalyst, the Sound isn't pleasant. This is because your catalyst doubles also as a Noise Muffler too...

What Is the Cause of P0420?

Faulty oxygen sensor
Faulty air-fuel sensor
Worn or internally failing catalytic converter (Most Common)
A leak in the exhaust system
Misfire (the root cause of converter failure)
Rich or Lean air-fuel ratio (the root cause of converter failure)
Leaded Gasoline (the root cause of converter failure)...

Another thing I want to address is this, Before you go and arrest your mechanic for your missing cat, you should also realize that most times, these cars came in without a cat... Who say Oyinbo no de thief too. Lol

This article was written off my Head, so permit my errors but i am pretty sure I addressed some issues based on some questions I've been asked recently ...

As you might need to Know, I sell Catalytic Converters People of God, my number is on my signature, send me a message on WhatsApp or call me let's do business...

Car dealership that have got theirs removed and need a partnership on a discount, send in a message on WhatsApp let's discuss...

2 Likes

Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2021
The floor is open, let's talk smiley
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 1:47pm On Nov 05, 2021
Educative post... Opinions are welcome
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by autologic: 4:30am On Nov 06, 2021
Who says P0420 is all about faulty catalyst .
I will later do a thread to address this controversial topic.

2 Likes

Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 11:30am On Nov 06, 2021
autologic:
Who says P0420 is all about faulty catalyst .
I will later do a thread to address this controversial topic.

Point out where I said it was all about Catalysts and I'd make adjustments...

There is virtually no point whatsoever coming under here to challenge the post. You could have just gone ahead to make your thread and I'd learn too.

I really don't have anything to say to you but I sincerely hope that your motive for dropping by here is achieved...

Happy Weekend
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by autologic: 6:08am On Nov 07, 2021
SublimeAutos1:

Point out where I said it was all about Catalysts and I'd make adjustments...

There is virtually no point whatsoever coming under here to challenge the post. You could have just gone ahead to make your thread and I'd learn too.

I really don't have anything to say to you but I sincerely hope that your motive for dropping by here is achieved...

Happy Weekend
This is a really nice and educated post about catalyst however what I am about is the dreaded P0420 code and the misconception what all have about it as concerning catalyst which I will later do in a another fresh thread as I don't want to use that to derail your beautiful write up here ..Nobody got it all figure out completely including myself ,as we continue to learn and relearn .cheers

1 Like

Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 9:28am On Nov 07, 2021
autologic:

This is a really nice and educated post about catalyst however what I am about is the dreaded P0420 code and the misconception what all have about it as concerning catalyst which I will later do in a another fresh thread as I don't want to use that to derail your beautiful write up here ..Nobody got it all figure out completely including myself ,as we continue to learn and relearn .cheers

Alright. Thanks for dropping by. I am open minded and I look forward to your post on the said Topic.

Have a beautiful Sunday and a great week Ahead
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 10:08am On Nov 08, 2021
Welcome to a new week
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 3:56pm On Nov 10, 2021
Keep the calls and chats coming. Our contact is on the signature
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 8:49am On Nov 12, 2021
Good Morning from here
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 10:34am On Dec 10, 2021
Let's discuss
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 3:32pm On Dec 10, 2021
Be informed
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 9:38am On Dec 15, 2021
Here
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 4:06pm On Sep 07, 2022
Available
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by SublimeAutos1(m): 6:09am On Sep 18, 2022
Wow
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by HenryWilliams(m): 3:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
autologic:

Where's the thread? I'd like to know more about it cos I'm currently facing it right now.
Re: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank by quam9997(m): 5:35pm On Sep 18, 2022
HenryWilliams:

Where's the thread? I'd like to know more about it cos I'm currently facing it right now.

Same here . Apparently my cat was absent when dealer bought it so instead of replacing with oem he bought the Chinese one which I currently use. However my check engine light is still always on and my mpg is not so good for a 2013 accord

(1) (Reply)

Whats The Deal With Spark Plugs? / Top 10 Least Expensive Sedans (Pictures) / With 200k Can I Get A Golf 3 In Good Condition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.