Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,434 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst (4288 Views)

Having Issues With Your Car AC ,lets Discuss It Here / We Are Ringing GS300 Lexus V6 This Week 08061371793 / My Experience "Ringing" An Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Rhemmymatician(m): 12:01pm On Jun 26, 2020
Dear Carlanders,

I bought a RX300 as foreign toks Oct 2018. I used t religiously and reliably until December 2019 when I noticed it was smoking a little and the engine oil was always getting short. My mechanic said I need to ring it or change the engine. I was stunned because I didn't expect any problem so soon.

In total I paid 120,000 and he said the job was done and Okay.
I didnt note any special difference in the engine either sound or efficiency (maybe because I'm an untrained ear) but the engine didn't get short again.

Fast forward to February 14 I was driving at about 120km/hr and the vehicle started jerking. My mechanic diagnosed fuel pump as the problem and I paid about 14k or so. A few days after the vehicle started going off on motion. At first it started immedately after I try to turn it back on. but afterwards it takes a longer time to start after going off.

I took it to another mechanic who diagnosed the catalyst as the problem. About N50,000 after. He said the vehicle stopped going off (till date)

The problem is the vehicle has started shorting oil and smoking again

Please guys what could be the problem
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by NaijadrivaCars: 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2020
Why "ring" an SUV? If you no get money to drive SUV, try 1998 Corrolla.

Now it is penny wise, pound foolish. Just buy a new complete engine.

2 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by homeboy205: 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:

Not nice

10 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by sultaan(m): 8:58pm On Jun 26, 2020
What type of engine oil and filter do you use
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Rhemmymatician(m): 5:33am On Jun 27, 2020
sultaan:
What type of engine oil and filter do you use

Mobil
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Rhemmymatician(m): 5:34am On Jun 27, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:

Haba bros. The mechanic assured me he just did the same for another vehicle and it is good as new.
What do I know, I'm not an authority on these matters.

7 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Rhemmymatician(m): 5:35am On Jun 27, 2020
A new mechanic (the one that did the catalyst) said he can help me get skeleton engine and it will be as good as new.

What do you guys think
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 12:39pm On Jun 27, 2020
Rhemmymatician:
A new mechanic (the one that did the catalyst) said he can help me get skeleton engine and it will be as good as new.

What do you guys think

By short oil.. How long or how many miles does it take for engine oil to drop to the low mark?

Some times kazeem ride on our ignorance and over meticulousness..

Engine shorting oil is not a death sentence.. How much be the engine oil to be topping self as against buying the "new" engine or ringing.

My car consumes approximately 1 litre between servicing..
Let's do small maths..
Let's assume 1 liter engine oil = 3k,.. I service 4 times a year, total 12k worth extra engine oil..
Now Let's assume my engine cost 200k.. How many years will it take me to consume 200k oil?

If the oil shortage gets worse, I will step down to a cheaper oil & keep topping the oil..
No ringing or changing engine because of small oil burn..

12 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by dannybrasky(m): 12:54pm On Jun 27, 2020
thebigkendo:

By short oil.. How long or how many miles does it take for engine oil to drop to the low mark?

Engine shorting oil is not a death sentence.. How much be the engine oil to be topping self as against buying the "new" engine or ringing.

Let's do small maths..
Let's assume 1 liter engine oil = 3k,.. I service 4 times a year, total 12k worth extra engine oil..
Now Let's assume my engine cost 200k.. How many years will it take me to consume 200k oil?

If the oil shortage gets worse, I will step down to a cheaper oil & keep topping the oil..
This my oga,sense will no kill you grin
You be mathematcian? grin

7 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2020
dannybrasky:

This my oga,sense will no kill you grin
You be mathematcian? grin

4 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by sultaan(m): 2:11pm On Jun 27, 2020
Rhemmymatician:

Mobil

Your first problem is you don't seem to understand what a car is and what it needs.
I did not ask for the brand only, there is a weight to the oil 20w50, 10w30, 5w30.

it is important to use the right oil first, then check you car for oil leak.
Your mechanic has done all that he know you can try radautoworks or Gazzuzz to see if there is any other thing than to top it off
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by sheu01: 2:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
What type of Mobil oil are u using? Is it Mobil 1 of 17k or Mobil xhp of 4k plus
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Rhemmymatician(m): 3:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
sultaan:

Your first problem is you don't seem to understand what a car is and what it needs.
I did not ask for the brand only, there is a weight to the oil 20w50, 10w30, 5w30.

it is important to use the right oil first, then check you car for oil leak.
Your mechanic has done all that he know you can try radautoworks or Gazzuzz to see if there is any other thing than to top it off

Pls do you have contact of gazzuzz or radautoworks
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by radautoworks: 4:01pm On Jun 27, 2020
Rhemmymatician:
Dear Carlanders,

I bought a RX300 as foreign toks Oct 2018. I used t religiously and reliably until December 2019 when I noticed it was smoking a little and the engine oil was always getting short. My mechanic said I need to ring it or change the engine. I was stunned because I didn't expect any problem so soon.

I didnt note any special difference in the engine either sound or efficiency (maybe because I'm an untrained ear) but the engine didn't get short again.

Fast forward to February 14 I was driving at about 120km/hr and the vehicle started jerking. My mechanic diagnosed fuel pump as the problem and I paid about 14k or so. A few days after the vehicle started going off on motion. At first it started immedately after I try to turn it back on. but afterwards it takes a longer time to start after going off.

I took it to another mechanic who diagnosed the catalyst as the problem. About N50,000 after. He said the vehicle stopped going off (till date)

Schedule an appointment and bring the car for diagnosis proper. Contact information is in my signature.
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by 3kay945(m): 7:05pm On Jun 27, 2020
I use Rx300 too., pls, dont put unnecessary fear in me o. cool
Cos the babe has been a good girl since I bought it.

3 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Mrford(m): 8:33pm On Jun 27, 2020
thebigkendo:

Let's do small maths..

How about the smoking part? The embarrassment alone
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 27, 2020
Mrford:

If it's smoking, oil will short faster than you can top it, plus embarrassment. Therefore no remedy but to ring it bros. Radautoworks is an advocate for engine rebuilds but gazzuzz will ask you to buy another engine. So as thebigkendo has said, do the math.

2 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 10:02pm On Jun 27, 2020
Mrford:

He said.. "smoking a little"

The first question I asked was

His answer will determine my next response..

What If it's only smokes at high RPM.. How many times does one drive at 4.5 - 5k RPM?

1 Like

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Mrford(m): 1:20am On Jun 28, 2020
thebigkendo:

He said.. "smoking a little"

The first question I asked was

His answer will determine my next response..

What If it's only smokes at high RPM.. How many times does one drive at 4.5 - 5k RPM?

If that's the case, i agree with you.
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by radautoworks: 3:52am On Jun 28, 2020
Mrford:

If that's the case, i agree with you.

NO! FIGHT! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!! grin grin grin
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Eddee(m): 5:49am On Jun 28, 2020
radautoworks:

No one fights with thebigkendo - he has a way around words grin
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Conductor261: 6:32am On Jun 28, 2020
3kay945:
I use Rx300 too., pls, dont put unnecessary fear in me o. cool
Cos the babe has been a good girl since I bought it.
Not a bad car. But at its price it should be a 7 seater
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 28, 2020
thebigkendo:

Btw, your car is not smoking - not visibly anyway. Burning small oil between services is different from a car actively smoking.
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2020
ModelX:
Btw, your car is not smoking - not visibly anyway. Burning small oil between services is different from a car actively smoking.

Tell that to the kazeem that replaced my ivtec switch & was revving the car anyhow to confirm its no longer in limp mode.. He said
"Oga ya motor dey smoke, you need to ring am"
Me: I know but gimme my car key e get where I wan go, I go come back for the ringing grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 9:52am On Jun 28, 2020
radautoworks:

2 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by AmuDimpka: 10:41am On Jun 28, 2020
Just go and buy another engine sir ....

1 Like

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by AmuDimpka: 10:48am On Jun 28, 2020
thebigkendo:

Let's do small maths..

Cunny man! Well japanese cars are funny cars .... But that aside

When you keep topping oil, the car looses compressions and plugs soaks and. This affects plugs and plugs soaks
Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by alphaNomega: 11:03am On Jun 28, 2020
Rhemmymatician:
Dear Carlanders,

If I told you to get a replacement engine the first time, some wise men like erico2k2 would say "9ja we are very quick to condemn Engine, bla bla bla..." ---> https://www.nairaland.com/5926614/what-could-done-2004-honda#90690768

For a car like yours, you had no business ringing that engine and I feel sorry for you and whoever encouraged you to do so. Sometimes we learn the hard way

Buy another engine Oga

1 Like

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 11:52am On Jun 28, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Cunny man! Well japanese cars are funny cars .... But that aside

When you keep topping oil, the car looses compressions and plugs soaks and. This affects plugs and plugs soaks

You don't mean it grin grin grin

I am not in the mood to argue or educate you today..
So you right sir

6 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by erico2k2(m): 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
alphaNomega:
If I told you to get a replacement engine the first time, some wise men like erico2k2 would say "9ja we are very quick to condemn Engine, bla bla bla..." ---> https://www.nairaland.com/5926614/what-could-done-2004-honda#90690768

For a car like yours, you had no business ringing that engine and I feel sorry for you and whoever encouraged you to do so. Sometimes we learn the hard way

Buy another engine Oga
So in your mind, once your car start letting out smoke the answer is to buy another Engine and please and please stop using the word NEW when you say replace Engine cos you are buying another Engine near its End of life.
Can I ask you a question what do you think Rigging of Engine means?
Let me give you a personal experience, I got one of those Jeep Liberty and the Mrs uses it now and then to go to the village, on one such journey the car parked up and the engine refuses to turn over, all mechanics says another engine,I refused and insisted on opening the Engine to see if it needs a replacement which I know will only happen if the block was bad. Turns out the crankshaft bearings were fried as loss of oil increased the temperature,.The major culprit was the Oil pump which parked up. So Standard crankshaft and bearing bought, new Oil pump, I mean brand new, and I used the opportunity to change the timing chain and its guard as a pack, rear main seal changed and ofcus new gaskets for top cylinder and main seal. Now as we speak 60% of that Engine is 0miles and brand new.

5 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by erico2k2(m): 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
thebigkendo:

You don't mean it grin grin grin

I am not in the mood to argue or educate you today..
So you right sir
ahahaaha everybody forming Mechanic expert online, the thing tire me bross, imagine, topping oil will soak ur plugs not failed gasket. chi

2 Likes

Re: Lexus RX300 Issues With Ringing And Catalyst by alphaNomega: 12:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
erico2k2:

So in your mind once your car star letting out smoke the answer is to buy another Engine and please and please stop using the word NEW when you say replace Engine cos you are buying another Engine near its End of life.
Can I ask you a question what do you think Rigging of Engine means?
Let me give you a personal experience, I got one of those Jeep Liberty and the Mrs uses it now and then to go to the village, on one such journey the car parked up and the Engine refuse to turn over, all mechanics says another engine ,I refused and insisted on opening the Engine to see if it needs a replacement which I know will only happen if the block was bad. Turns out the crankshaft bearings were fried as loss of oil increased the temperature,.The major culprit was the Oil pump which parked up. So Standard crankshaft and bearing bought, new Oil pump, I mean brand new, and I used the opportunity to change the timing chain and its guard as a pack, rear main seal changed and ofcus new gaskets for top cylinder and main seal.Now as we speak 60% of that Engine is 0miles and brand new.
Even worn out oil seals would cause engines to smoke and if the seals can be properly replaced, no issues. This is different from your Liberty case and the Lexus'

The man has already worked in the engine and is about to embark on a second missionary journey. Allow the man to buy another engine nah. Pity him small

I hope you won't create a new moniker to start complaining about that Liberty Jeep when the engine starts smoking again grin

UPDATE: Since you want to play the language game. I don't know what you mean by RIGGING an engine tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Radiator Cover Wont Work! / Why Does Everyone Want Leather Seats So Bad? / Petrol Vs Diesel (why You Should Choose Diesel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.