Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,855 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Let's discuss Quality Roofing Woods - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Let's discuss Quality Roofing Woods (947 Views)

A Newcastle Child That Died In The Woods Ghost Appears Behind A Boy On A Photogr / Where Can I Buy Woods? / Justin Timberlake – Man Of The Woods (album + Zip) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Let's discuss Quality Roofing Woods by ambrosedmax(m): 8:36pm On Nov 03, 2021
Roofing is an important aspect and most delicate part of your building, although alot of people don't see it in that way, whatever you erect on your roof protects you and your family from many things such as rain, hails and so on, in this part of the world especially here in Nigeria where the kids of our neighbors can throw anything on top of our roof it's essential we take that part very serious when building. Aside the above, I can outrightly say that the beauty of your house starts from the roofing. Although your roofing shouldn't just look good but should be able to withstand seasonal stress . It should have the capacity to withstand the seasonal changes and its impact on it( especially from those kids) lol.

This is where the type of roofing trusses comes in, Roof Trusses can be said to be the skeleton of the roof. As you known the skeleton produce the shape of animals even humans. The Roof also depend on its trusses for it shape. Trusses usually occur at regular intervals, linked by longitudinal timbers such as purlins. The space between each truss is known as a bay.

Roofing is one of the most important project to undergo while constructing a house. The types of roof you build for a particular structure depends on many conditions such as:

Types of Structure
Span of the Building
Cost
Materials
In Nigeria the most common type of roofing trusses is the wooden type, which have served the world from the earliest times when men started with tree branches.
Wood and planks has been an important construction material since humans began building shelters, houses and boats. Nearly all boats and Houses were made out of wood until the late 19th century, and wood remains in common use today in building construction, In buildings made of other materials, wood will still be found as a supporting material, especially in roof construction, in interior doors and their frames, Wood(planks) is also commonly used as shuttering material to form the mold into which concrete is poured during reinforced concrete construction, examples are decking of a house, stairs, parapet and floors[/Color]

It is common to classify wood as either softwood or hardwood. The wood from Araba, arcwella (etc) called softwood, and the wood from redwoods (usually broad-leaved trees, (e.g. mereke) is called hardwood. These names are a bit misleading, as hardwoods are not necessarily hard, and softwoods are not necessarily soft.

Therefore it is important you have the exact knowledge of the type of wood you are to use for your roofing trusses(skeleton). Most lazy capenters today would advise you to get soft woods for your rafters, wall-plate and purlins, well I stay in Abuja and I'll say because of my environment, this doesn't and wouldn't work here, so it's best you go for a hardwoods or semi-hards, Then maybe your purlins can be softwoods for effective roofing sheets placing.

There is this yellowish and black colour type of wood, the igbos call it "APKONTU" yorubas call it "AYIN" and hausa's call it "MEREKE" .. Funny how everyone have a name for it, so far it has proven to be relied on as the best Iron-wood for roofing in western Africa to the best of my knowledge, Although very hard but it's life span it's why it's mostly preferred by those who knows about it.

There are some other woods below par that can still meet up, maybe from time to time I'll be dishing out posts about them.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Plus One In Nairaland / Allo! / My Intro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.