Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,933 members, 7,835,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. (1867 Views)

This Falsehood That Bishop Ajayi-crowther Wrote A Book In Igbo / The Girl In Black By SAMUEL Franklin (Psy-FY, Action and Thriller) (Completed) / CROSS (magic. Sorcery. Myth) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by EzeAro: 1:57am On Nov 04, 2021
Igboid:
How could Crowther have written Igbo primer when he isn't an Igbo speaker. No be juju be that?
Some argument are not even worth the effort and time.
Lol arguing with Ndi OFE-mmanu is a waste of time, simple logic is very far from these people and you've got to wonder how they even pride themselves as the most "sophisticated" and educated people in Africa. I mean these are the same clowns who somehow told every listening ear that cared to listen that their founder Oduduwa descended from heaven and landed in Ile-ife (meanwhile his father Lamurudu was supposed to come from Mecca), such tales of utter ridiculousity can only hold sway in a region where excess red oil is a luxury diet grin

4 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by bomb24: 1:57am On Nov 04, 2021
IduNaOba:

Can I have a pdf of this book nwanne?
Biko hapụ ndị mgbu a juru ebe a ka ha na - akọgheri

u can go through the links I posted. I also did some research regarding the topic.

2 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by IduNaOba: 1:59am On Nov 04, 2021
bomb24:

u can imagine that u came into Igbo land in 1954 and the next year u were able to write in the Igbo language no be juju be that. grin ;

well, this thread has buried their lies.

Igbo Language that is so sophisticated to the extent it takes decades to learn while ndigbo learn other languages like its nothing.

I learnt how to speak chinese in 1 year.
Our lecturer then said the reason they focused more on igbos was our capacity to learn and our industrious nature.
After learning Chinese, I switched to studying igjo as a degree and intend to use it in making lots of Content.
The reason why I requested the pdf(s) is for future projects when I will start hitting these lies hard hard.

1 Like

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by bomb24: 2:02am On Nov 04, 2021
IduNaOba:

Igbo Language that is so sophisticated to the extent it takes decades to learn while ndigbo learn other languages like its nothing.

I learnt how to speak chinese in 1 year.
Our lecturer then said the reason they focused more on igbos was our capacity to learn and our industrious nature.
After learning Chinese, I switched to studying igjo as a degree and intend to use it in making lots of Content.
The reason why I requested the pdf(s) is for future projects when I will start hitting these lies hard hard.

lol their analysis is flawed Simon jones was known to have prepared the first Igbo manuscript which shon and Ajayi Crowther had to use in preparing the first Igbo primer.

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by LegendHero(m): 2:08am On Nov 04, 2021
bomb24:

u can go exhume the grave of Ajayi Crowther and ask him that question. cheesy

stupid question from a retard.

How can Samuel Ajayi Crowther know when you said he did not write the book?

2 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by gwafaeziokwu: 2:10am On Nov 04, 2021
grin

This our Lord's prayer, was it written in Igbo abi another language. I am not understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Nobody: 2:13am On Nov 04, 2021
Deal with it. You're nothing without the Afonjas. Your history is not complete without the Afonjas.

Ingrates!

bomb24:

shuush I'm not here to romance your emotions. afonjas have been spreading false-hood surrounding his missionary journey this thread is a rebuttal to those lies. nothing else.

4 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by IduNaOba: 2:19am On Nov 04, 2021
ThankYouGod:
Deal with it. You're nothing without the Afonjas. Your history is not complete without the Afonjas.

Ingrates!

Afonja of yesterday??
Go read up about ndigbo
We taught you guys how to even wear clothes

2 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by IduNaOba: 2:20am On Nov 04, 2021
I am sharing this post with my Prof friend.
He will definitely get the books and papers.

1 Like

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Nobody: 2:31am On Nov 04, 2021
You call Yorubas 'Afonjas' thinking it's demeaning.

So I used the same word to tell you your history is not complete without the Afonjas.

Go read your history and be truthful to yourself.

You taught us how to wear clothes but no similarity in the way we dress and the way you dress.

IduNaOba:

Afonja of yesterday??
Go read up about ndigbo
We taught you guys how to even wear clothes

3 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Guestlander: 2:39am On Nov 04, 2021
bomb24:

nigga shut up and go wail peacefully on your bed.

I am not the one crying over Ajayi Crowther, you are.

1 Like

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by IDENNAA(m): 3:05am On Nov 04, 2021
bomb24:
Fact: Upon arriving to Igboland after his studies into the Igbo Language, Crowther and his master Scheon learned that the Igbo they had been learning was not intelligable to the locals because it was an adulterated form of the language formed by Sierra Leonean Igbos that had been seperated from their homeland for many generations

"I was not a little mortified today by observing that the dialect of the Ibo
language, on which I had bestowed much labour in Sierra Leone, differs widely
from that spoken and understood in this part of the country. It never escaped my
observation that a great diversity of dialects existed, but I must blame myself."

You did your homework and nailed it like a real Igbo G! Of course , Ajayi Crowder didn't write translate books because he didn't understand nor spoke the language! But , these comical elements would rather have us going in circles. They seems to love poking at Igbos , and for what.

These people wake up masturbating on Igbo hate! It's pathetic.

3 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by IDENNAA(m): 3:08am On Nov 04, 2021
Guestlander:

I am not the one crying over Ajayi Crowther, you are.

Nobody is crying here , oga. You have seen the facts , details backed with credible sources but you just want to drain us all out. Argue the facts, okay.

2 Likes

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Guestlander: 3:52am On Nov 04, 2021
IDENNAA:

Nobody is crying here , oga. You have seen the facts , details backed with credible sources but you just want to drain us all out. Argue the facts, okay.

Keep fooling yourself.
Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Nothingserious: 5:09am On Nov 04, 2021
bomb24:

I will keep bursting it the first Igbo manuscript was written by simon jonas. embarassed

The group assembled, Simon Jonas & Christopher Taylors who spoke Igbo dialect called Isuoma, which was only spoken in Sierra Leone by ex-slaves.

3. Upon finishing the Primer, which was written in 1857 them, handed his work over to the Bishop Crowther and Scheon.

4. The Igbo in the Primer and that which Crowther was familiar with was a failure when they reach Igboland as the natives did not understand

them, they didn't understand the natives, and natives cited they weren't Igbo speakers.

cc tamdun

Wow!

I tried reading that Lord’s Prayer, only a few words are intelligibly Igbo that we now. Although a few words there sound like some Ebonyi dialects.

This would have been difficult for Igbos back then to understand.

1 Like

Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Nothingserious: 5:11am On Nov 04, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

This our Lord's prayer, was it written in Igbo abi another language. I am not understanding.

Lol!

I thought I was the only one who noticed the difficulty in reading that prayer aside from the first two words “nna ayi “ and the last part “ike”, “otito”, “mbe ( which should be “mgbe”) nile.

Maybe those gb gw kp kw ch hadn’t been formed back then.
Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Nosayer: 5:25am On Nov 04, 2021
grin grin grin

What's the goal of the post?
To provide intellectual enlightenment: ×
To Stimulate interest in the history of the Igbos: ×
To Stimulate interest in West African history: ×
To show how one tribe is greater than another by showing its independence nature:

Africans, especially Nigerians have dwell in this lane for long and for as long as they keep dwelling here, their mental capacity will never exceed their tribal domineering tendencies. It will never move them towards cohesion needed for development.

In short, they will never develop because no where in the world does development happen exclusively within a group. There are always influences of outsiders gotten through cooperation and peaceful relationship.
Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Guestlander: 7:16am On Nov 04, 2021
Someone just told me there's no word for honesty and integrity in Ibo language.
Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Babinski: 8:52am On Nov 04, 2021
bomb24:

I will keep bursting it the first Igbo manuscript was written by simon jonas. embarassed

The group assembled, Simon Jonas & Christopher Taylors who spoke Igbo dialect called Isuoma, which was only spoken in Sierra Leone by ex-slaves.

3. Upon finishing the Primer, which was written in 1857 them, handed his work over to the Bishop Crowther and Scheon.

4. The Igbo in the Primer and that which Crowther was familiar with was a failure when they reach Igboland as the natives did not understand

them, they didn't understand the natives, and natives cited they weren't Igbo speakers.

cc tamdun

I honestly do not see the debunking of any myth by you. Rather I see an attempt to mischeviously manipulate history in a poor revisionist manner. You seem to believe no one would thoroughly go through your quoted sources and only rely on your interpretation and claims.

Your aim is to discredit Crowther and the Yorubas but you seem to be clearly hampered by your intellectual capacity, lack of academic deligence and paucity of historical sources to carry out your task.

The paper by Onwuka Dike in 1957 replicated on http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/ng/dike_origins1957.html which you quoted only mentioned Simon Jonas as an interpreter working with the CMS and Crowther. It didn't attribute any manuscript to him.

Taking entries from Orakas book which seem to be your major source also does not explicitly support your claims in any way. Jonas was mentioend as one of the intrepreters with CMS and also working with Crowther who was his master. Some of the applicable entries from Orakas book include the following:

1841 == Another Norris expedition on the Niger. He took two missionary linguists from the staff of the CMS (Church Missionary Society) in Freetown, J. F. Schon and Samuel Ajayi Crowther (the latter a Yoruba-born ex-slave and teacher), along with twelve interpreters, including Igbo who came from emancipated slave families settled in Freetown. John Christopher Taylor and Simon Jonas were among these. No permanent mission was founded. Schon was interested in Igbo and Hausa. At a stopover in Aboh, he tried to communicate in Igbo but was disappointed that people did not understand him. He then abandoned Igbo study for some twenty years (Oraka p. 23).

1856 == Crowther and Jonas stayed together in Lagos, where Jonas taught his master Igbo (Oraka p. 24).

1857 == Crowther produced the first book in Igbo, with Jonas's help. Isoama-Ibo Primer has 17 pages, with the Igbo alphabet, words, phrases, sentence patterns, the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments, and translations of the first chapters of Matthew's Gospel. Thus Crowther became the first to use the Lepsius "Standard Alphabet" (Oraka p. 25).

1882 == Crowther wrote Vocabulary of the Ibo Language, the first comprehensive dictionary in Igbo. In 1883 Crowther and Schon jointly revised it and added more words. They finally came out with Vocabulary of the Ibo Language, Part II, an English-Ibo dictionary. By this time, Igbo had had some 50 books and booklets published in it (Oraka p. 27).

When you talk about supporting claims with facts from sources, you either lift the conclusions directly from the sources in their own words or build premises arriving at an undisputable conclusion from the sources. You don't just try to put your words in their mouth and say it is fact supported by sources simply because you cite the sources and expect the reader to be too lazy to go through them.

Sources:
http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/ng/dike_origins1957.html

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00fwp/igbo/igbohistory.html
Re: Myth Debunked: Samuel Crowther's Book Written By Sierra Leonian Igbo. by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 04, 2021
Thank you for schooling bomb24.

He wanted to mischievously manipulate a glaring and documented history. It's their way!

Afonjas are their headaches.

Babinski:

I honestly do not see the debunking of any myth by you. Rather I see an attempt to mischeviously manipulate history in a poor revisionist manner. You seem to believe no one would thoroughly go through your quoted sources and only rely on your interpretation and claims.

Your aim is to discredit Crowther and the Yorubas but you seem to be clearly hampered by your intellectual capacity, lack of academic deligence and paucity of historical sources to carry out your task.

The paper by Onwuka Dike in 1957 replicated on http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/ng/dike_origins1957.html which you quoted only mentioned Simon Jonas as an interpreter working with the CMS and Crowther. It didn't attribute any manuscript to him.

Taking entries from Orakas book which seem to be your major source also does not explicitly support your claims in any way. Jonas was mentioend as one of the intrepreters with CMS and also working with Crowther who was his master. Some of the applicable entries from Orakas book include the following:

1841 == Another Norris expedition on the Niger. He took two missionary linguists from the staff of the CMS (Church Missionary Society) in Freetown, J. F. Schon and Samuel Ajayi Crowther (the latter a Yoruba-born ex-slave and teacher), along with twelve interpreters, including Igbo who came from emancipated slave families settled in Freetown. John Christopher Taylor and Simon Jonas were among these. No permanent mission was founded. Schon was interested in Igbo and Hausa. At a stopover in Aboh, he tried to communicate in Igbo but was disappointed that people did not understand him. He then abandoned Igbo study for some twenty years (Oraka p. 23).

1856 == Crowther and Jonas stayed together in Lagos, where Jonas taught his master Igbo (Oraka p. 24).

1857 == Crowther produced the first book in Igbo, with Jonas's help. Isoama-Ibo Primer has 17 pages, with the Igbo alphabet, words, phrases, sentence patterns, the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments, and translations of the first chapters of Matthew's Gospel. Thus Crowther became the first to use the Lepsius "Standard Alphabet" (Oraka p. 25).

1882 == Crowther wrote Vocabulary of the Ibo Language, the first comprehensive dictionary in Igbo. In 1883 Crowther and Schon jointly revised it and added more words. They finally came out with Vocabulary of the Ibo Language, Part II, an English-Ibo dictionary. By this time, Igbo had had some 50 books and booklets published in it (Oraka p. 27).

When you talk about supporting claims with facts from sources, you either lift the conclusions directly from the sources in their own words or build premises arriving at an undisputable conclusion from the sources. You don't just try to put your words in their mouth and say it is fact supported by sources simply because you cite the sources and expect the reader to be too lazy to go through them.

Sources:
http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/ng/dike_origins1957.html

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00fwp/igbo/igbohistory.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

After Her Heart / Diary Of A Xtian Gurl! ;) / A Fiction: Sex Village (updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.