Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? (1829 Views)

Femi Osibona's Lifeless Body Recovered From Collapsed Building Rubble / Nifemi, PA To Owner Of Collapsed Ikoyi Building Found Dead, Osibona Trapped / Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by nairavsdollars(f): 9:50am On Nov 05, 2021
Osibona’s company began its foray into real estate in the United Kingdom before branching out to South Africa and later Nigeria.

In 2009, when Brig-General Buba Marwa (rtd) was the Nigerian High Commissioner in South Africa, Fourscore Homes built six luxury units called Fourscore Mansions in Waterkloof, a very expensive neighbourhood in Pretoria.

Osibona was also the first African developer to develop a seven-storey building in the United Kingdom. The property called Fourscore Mansion is located at 113, Albion Drive London Fields, E8, 4LZ, East London. Not only that, he was the first black developer of African origin to build other projects in the UK. The company’s real estate business started in Hackney, London in 1997.

How come the other buildings in other parts of the world are still standing tall without collapsing ?

1 Like

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by tamdun: 9:51am On Nov 05, 2021
Those countries have law and they enforce it, unlike Naija where u can go against the law anyhow

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Mastakija(m): 9:52am On Nov 05, 2021
Nonsense
Before u type do ur researches very well...
Is ikoyi building the only building he has in Nigeria?
There are alot even in his hometown ikenne And are all the building collapsed?
as far as i can remember this man is from ikenne ogun state and he has houses that has been standing there for years
What happened in ikoyi can happen anywhere in or outside Nigeria
After all he was warned not to extend it to 21 storey building

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Ammishaddai: 9:52am On Nov 05, 2021
The answer to that question is simple : those countries don't joke with building standards ,unlike Nigeria where it's easy to bribe the FCDA and other building officials to get approval

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by JavaScript90: 9:55am On Nov 05, 2021
Na naija you dey
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by lkillbrokehoes: 9:56am On Nov 05, 2021
Because those countries have laws in place unlike Nigeria that you can pay bribe and do whatever you like
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Staypositive: 10:03am On Nov 05, 2021
Ma gee
It is well....

It's because nigeria herself is collapsing.....
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by sapientia(m): 10:06am On Nov 05, 2021
Cos you don't cut corners there
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by KingTroll(m): 10:07am On Nov 05, 2021
Mastakija:
Nonsense
as far as i can remember this man is from ikenne ogun state and he has houses that has been standing there for years
exactly oo
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by nairavsdollars(f): 10:11am On Nov 05, 2021
Shut up Dundee. Did you hear the Deputy governor disagree that he got approval for 21 storey? All I'm after is a thorough investigation and the findings made public
Mastakija:
Nonsense
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Misrighteousnes: 10:11am On Nov 05, 2021
Men are all deceiver's.. Put ur trust in Jesus alone

1 Like

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Mastakija(m): 10:14am On Nov 05, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Shut up Dundee. Did you hear the Deputy governor disagree that he got approval for 21 storey? All I'm after is a thorough investigation and the findings made public
did u hear d deputy governor say anything?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by nairavsdollars(f): 10:19am On Nov 05, 2021
Read before coming here to make comments
Mastakija:
did u hear d deputy governor say anything?

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by bong4(m): 10:29am On Nov 05, 2021
Mastakija:
Nonsense

You began your defense well but ended up giving the OP the exact answer to the question. If this man was warned not to extend the building beyond 15 floors in US, Uk or SA, would he have disobeyed?
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Mastakija(m): 10:36am On Nov 05, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Read before coming here to make comments
u should do ur research thoroughly before opening threads
Some stories said only 15 floors where approved some said 21 floors where approved
And besides if u read that news very well
The deputy governor was not even criticising approval or no approval he simply said it is the construction that failed apparently from what we can see,”

U even failed to read till the end
But instead u picked the one dat suits you the most

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by nairavsdollars(f): 10:39am On Nov 05, 2021
Good question there! Let him answer
bong4:

You began your defense well but ended up giving the OP the exact answer to the question. If this man was warned not to extend the building beyond 15 floors in US, Uk or SA, would he have disobeyed?
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Mastakija(m): 10:46am On Nov 05, 2021
bong4:

no he wouldn't
But his building was sealed for Christ sake!
The deputy governor said it himself that the building was under investigations when the building collapsed
The thing is if u don't go down into this matter
You wouldn't find the real truth
I was simply correcting her cus her writeup was baseless

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Shokoloko(f): 10:48am On Nov 05, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Osibona’s company began its foray into real estate in the United Kingdom before branching out to South Africa and later Nigeria.

In 2009, when Brig-General Buba Marwa (rtd) was the Nigerian High Commissioner in South Africa, Fourscore Homes built six luxury units called Fourscore Mansions in Waterkloof, a very expensive neighbourhood in Pretoria.

Osibona was also the first African developer to develop a seven-storey building in the United Kingdom. The property called Fourscore Mansion is located at 113, Albion Drive London Fields, E8, 4LZ, East London. Not only that, he was the first black developer of African origin to build other projects in the UK. The company’s real estate business started in Hackney, London in 1997.

How come the other buildings in other parts of the world are still standing tall without collapsing ?

Simple: in those other countries, one cannot cut corners.
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by hisexcellency34: 10:49am On Nov 05, 2021
Her writeup wasn't baseless. She asked a very logical question. Its you that is overreacting. Why not just take a chill pill?
Mastakija:
no he wouldn't
But his building was sealed for Christ sake!
The deputy governor said it himself that the building was under investigations when the building collapsed
The thing is if u don't go down into this matter
You wouldn't find the real truth
I was simply correcting her cus her writeup was baseless
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by OBUKSBAYELSA: 10:50am On Nov 05, 2021
Because of the criminal activities of Nigeria's procurement managers, most times they supply sub standard materials inorder to make more gains.
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Benbellamor: 10:52am On Nov 05, 2021
Staypositive:
Ma gee
It is well....

It's because nigeria herself is collapsing.....
I was sad before But this post Got me burst into laughter..
Nigeria collapsing... God help o

1 Like

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 05, 2021
nairavsdollars:

1. They operate on standards and precision.
2. They go out to ensure it's enforced.
3. They operate almost zero laxity.
4. They rarely use BLOCKS entirely to build.
5. Cements are majorly meant for roads.
6. They use Steel and Fibres, as well as woods.
7. Soil Texture test as well as salinity na sure.
8. Causalites from entirely Block buildings na die oo, can be heartwrenching too.

IF this his building could collapse as well as others not even up to 5 storey... Tell me what will happen if LAGOS experiences the kind of earthquakes California experiences regularly?

Dat means an earthquake of small 3.5 magnitude can quickly convert Lagos & Onitsha to rubbles.

NIGERIANS should start learning how to build with WOODS... It averts a lot of pandemonium.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by tamdun: 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2021
Mastakija:
Nonsense
Oga, that house is not up to standard, the house isn't finished yet and this happened, now imagine a completed one full of people....
I believe he tried to reduce the quality (cut cost) and here is the result
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by hisexcellency34: 1:17pm On Nov 05, 2021
Very true. Government should check quality of Dangote Cement too
OBUKSBAYELSA:
Because of the criminal activities of Nigeria's procurement managers, most times they supply sub standard materials inorder to make more gains.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by descarado: 1:23pm On Nov 05, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

1. They operate on standards and precision.
2. They go out to ensure it's enforced.
3. They operate almost zero laxity.
4. They rarely use BLOCKS entirely to build.
5. Cements are majorly meant for roads.
6. They use Steel and Fibres, as well as woods.
7. Soil Texture test as well as salinity na sure.
8. Causalites from entirely Block buildings na die.

IF this his building could collapse as well as others not even up to 5 storey... Tell me what will happen if LAGOS experiences the kind of earthquakes California experiences regularly?

Dat means an earthquake of small 3.5 magnitude can quickly convert Lagos & Onitsha to rubbles.

NIGERIANS should start learning how to build with WOODS... It averts a lot of pandemonium.
You must be a civil engineer
You made loads of sense

1 Like

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 05, 2021
descarado:

You must be a civil engineer
You made loads of sense
Thank You!
Although I'm not a Civil Engineer grin
I am just Enlightened, Exposed and Educated.
I spend more time travelling across the globe, meeting people of quality, with United States as my take off point.
It's only NAIRALAND dat makes me feel @ home.
Instagram filled with too many fake people!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by Babinski: 3:26am On Nov 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:

Because he listened to and worked with experts and professionals mandatorily in those countries!

In an interview Femi Osibona held with TVC months ago, at a point he talked about not listening to experts, he said:

"When I first came to Nigeria, I believed in consultants so much. If an architect tells me something, I will do whatever he tells me to do... I later realized that some people they only know book, they do not understand the practical aspect of the work..."

That is a recipe for disaster, to refer to professionals as knowing book only. That belief of listening to consultants and professionals that he brought into Nigeria was a belief he had when he built structures in the UK and South Africa and it yielded positive results. But getting to Nigeria after sometime he became "wiser than professionals" and the result is what happened.

Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVsgzdEt9o

1 Like

Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by OBUKSBAYELSA: 9:41am On Nov 06, 2021
hisexcellency34:
Very true. Government should check quality of Dangote Cement too
They also killed Ibeto (Eagle) Cement, that would have increased competition.
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:17am On Nov 06, 2021
LASBCA has the answer to that question. The Lagos State created the organization to be efficient. The Lagos State government know what they created
Re: How Come Osibona's Buildings Didn't Collapse In SA, UK, US But Nigeria? by hisexcellency34: 2:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
Even Burham Cement by Flour Mills.. dangote is somehow

OBUKSBAYELSA:

They also killed Ibeto (Eagle) Cement, that would have increased competition.

(1) (Reply)

200 Plots Of Land @ Okun Ajah, Lekki, (C Of O ) / Affordable And Reliable Inverters For Your Houses / Hot Property For Sale @ Ogudu GRA Lagos *pics*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.