Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera (28214 Views)

ISWAP Commander In Nigeria Al-barwani Is Dead / Wike Demolishes Trans-Amadi Central Mosque In Rivers State / Five Leading UK Banks Aided Corruption In Nigeria – Al-jazeera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by eas01: 11:38pm On Nov 05, 2021
cococandy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/30/africa-homophobia-legacy-colonialism

At a time when more countries are moving towards inclusive human rights, Africa is taking steps backwards. Backwards, that is, specifically on the issue of gay rights, though sadly not to before colonialism, the era in which anti-gay legislation has its roots.
Most Africans don’t recognise homophobia as a colonial legacy even though before colonialism, many traditional cultures were tolerant of different sexualities and gender relations. For instance, in my tribe, the Ganda or Baganda, (Uganda’s largest ethnic group) women from the royal clan are addressed with male titles and may or may not be required to perform duties expected of women.
A web article does not cut it for me. The whole world can move there for all we care. Not Africa. Just because others are doing something don't mean you should. Besides Western white countries like the usa , EU, and others are the ones moving in the homo direction and they are not the world.
Asian countries especially Muslim and south east asian countries don't involve themselves in this.

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by eas01: 11:41pm On Nov 05, 2021

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by cococandy(f): 5:22am On Nov 06, 2021
eas01:

It's a bs research. Africa never tolerated such.

You will believe whatever you want to

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nothingserious: 6:27am On Nov 06, 2021
Is everything not a challenge in Africa?
Who not get wahala here?
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by naikeboy(m): 6:44am On Nov 06, 2021
Nigeria a terrible society
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by deejayx5: 7:33am On Nov 06, 2021
[how do you know he does?]
Seems you have hard time reading your bible.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 06, 2021
Rydermaverick:

It won't ..still a pass for me cos I can't see any point you are proving..and I bet you I don't wanna be stressing myself over someone who doesn't even have a proper knowledge over something..so pls enjoy yourself

I don't expect you to understand. In fact I'd be shocked if you did.

I have come to realize that all human beings aren't on the same level of physical, mental and spiritual evolution.

For some, like you guys who struggle and with being comfortable in the bodies they were born in to the extent of trying to force a different gender upon themselves, how much physical and mental evolution will you say you've got if there's no synchronicity between both your physical component and psychological component?

You haven't even begun on the path of spiritual evolution at all.

You are a long way away. And I understand that. If you have to come back a million times to take that one step you need to take to begin, then so be it. No rush.

Please don't feel the need to respond to this cos I know you still won't understand anyway, which is okay. Honestly, it's ok.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 06, 2021
While I feel empathy for trans people, I just can't subscribe to their ideology. I don't believe a man can be a woman and vice versa. If you ask a transgender, how do they know they're a woman/man, they'll tell you they just feel like one. Feelings. Something fleeting which makes the entire concept of trans absurd. A man feels like a woman based on gender stereotypes. A woman feels like and wants to be a man based on wanting to escape misogyny and or gender stereotypes. I will never accept transgender for their bullying of J.K Rowling and Chimamanda.

A marginalized group has so much power to threaten and silence folks and even reconstruct language to suit them. Even black people don't have that kind of power
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 06, 2021
TripleOh7:

I don't expect you to understand. In fact I'd be shocked if you did.

I have come to realize that all human beings aren't on the same level of physical, mental and spiritual evolution.

For some, like you guys who struggle and with being comfortable in the bodies they were born in to the extent of trying to force a different gender upon themselves, how much physical and mental evolution will you say you've got if there's no synchronicity between both your physical component and psychological component?

You haven't even begun on the path of spiritual evolution at all.

You are a long way away. And I understand that. If you have to come back a million times to take that one step you need to take to begin, then so be it. No rush.

Please don't feel the need to respond to this cos I know you still won't understand anyway, which is okay. Honestly, it's ok.
Still a pass for me..cos no matter how hard you try you would still be on my pass list...
Stop bothering yourself no more cos my fingers hurt and I need a smart person to converse with..
Hey hope your day is going on well tho?
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Caseless: 9:18am On Nov 06, 2021
Ekejoestar:
Awon Bobrisky will now claim trans.

Transgender comes in the natural form of being a hermaphrodite not all these guys that did gender reassignment.

The natural form can be corrected at birth through surgery by removing either of the two organs, leaving the baby with only one.

You can Google female rides she-male but don't blame me for whatever you see
she-males are trans men with their organs still in place.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 06, 2021
cococandy:

I could go on. But I’ll stop here. please educate yourself. I have taken a graduate level world history and international history class.
Do the same and unshackle yourself from the colonialism that you erroneously consider African tradition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/06/27/from-colonialism-to-kill-the-gays-the-surprisingly-recent-roots-of-homophobia-in-africa/?outputType=amp

From colonialism to ‘kill the gays’: The surprisingly recent roots of homophobia in Africa

You're both correct and incorrect Ma, but more incorrect. You're very correct that some parts of the human body that are now classified and covered as private parts were hitherto public parts and you're correct about same-sex marriage in Africa (it's still in practice today by your tribe).

Why are you incorrect? You'll find out as you read.

I've always had interest in African traditions that are gaining acceptance in the West but declining in practice at where they stem from in our continent (which many studies conclude to be where life started).

Earlier this year, I published a thread on this platform about why masquerades and artifacts intrigued the white man but weren't enthralling to those whose ancestors designed them.

https://www.nairaland.com/6345810/why-foreigners-appreciate-nigerian-masquerades

That was a famous troll genuinely searching for answers grin . The replies I got uncovered a plethora of perspectives I did not focus attention on in the past.

The BBC video below is that of same-sex marriage which is welcomed in Igbo culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFC0xJh8uI

I'll talk about tattoos in Africa too.

So I'll write about masquerades and artifacts that rake in hundreds of millions of Euros in European museums, same-sex marriage, and employment of those with visible tattoos , all of which attract prejudice and segregation in Nigeria.

1. The masquerades and artifacts are held in high regard by citizens of Europe because to them it is arts. Arts is freedom and liberty. It is archeology. It is history, a path to the past of medieval African technology. Some of the curators that handle these artifacts in Europe are females. There's no embargo placed to prohibit them from touching those artifacts and cleaning them.

Masquerades and artifacts are demonized by Nigerians because it is bondage, it is tragic, it is gender discrimination and autocratic. In Nigeria, women are to remain indoors during some of these festivals where men parade the artifacts and masquerades. Women cannot join the societies that manage those artifacts and virgins may be sacrificed during these ceremonies.

2. Same-sex marriage to the inhabitants of the West is freedom to explore one's sexuality and be with whom they love irrespective of gender.

Same-sex marriage to tribes of the defunct Eastern region of Nigeria is the subjugation of a woman who is not allowed to have sex, explore her sexuality, or move on after the death of her husband or her betrothed. If there was an existing male sibling of the deceased , the wife would be inherited as a property. Since there is none, she has to live with the deceased's mother and perform traditional wife roles apart from sex (whether consummation happens in secret is another thing grin). If she's the deceased's betrothed, bride price will be paid and a wedding ceremony organised to hand her over to the deceased's mother as her new wife. This arrangement is slavery.

3. Tattoo in North America and Europe is fashion and arts. It can represent something or someone we hold dear like the one near your wrist grin You were neither forced to draw one nor the part of body where the tattoo should be drawn chosen for you.

Tattoo in Yoruba land is the tribal marks which damages the face of children without their consent. It is deeper and more brutal when inflicted on a first born and they have to live with it for the rest of their even if it makes them ugly.

Where am I coming from?

Let's draw an analogy:

Country A prohibits the eating of locusts except as punishment for the crime of goat theft. When a thief is caught with a stolen goat, the thief and his family are to provide 2 turtles, 1 python, 5 tubers of yam , a keg of palm wine, chicken, a goat and eat a plate of locusts or the thief will be banished to a thick forest forever.

Country B colonizes them in 1900 and calls them savages for eating locusts because it is alien to Country B's culture. They ban eating of locusts and introduce a criminal code which those who steal goats should be prosecuted under and sentenced to 2 years in Jail.

In 2000, there is a scientific breakthrough in Country B which correlates a newly discovered type of protein to locusts meal. They come back to convince Country A to eat locusts that they abolished because it is a good source of a rare protein.

To country B eating locusts is eating a rare form of protein but to country A eating locusts is sacrilege and meant for criminals.

An author would be correct if he argues that eating of locust which is now "locustphobia" started in Country A. But he isn't entirely correct when he doesn't talk about the motive.

Muiga, K, the author you cited up there, and the rest fall in that category. They deliberately omit motives when they write about that controversial but obvious past.

In criminal law, actus reus (act) and mens rea (intention/motive) must be present to convict criminals. It is why no judge in Nigeria where same-sex marriage is criminalized will sentence the women in the video above to a day in jail.

The intentions, purpose and motive of most of these acts which definitely began in Africa are different. To the West it means freedom but to Nigerians it is a remembrance of their dark past which they seek redemption for.

If you quote to disagree answer this question:

If there is a law that for a start , same-sex marriage in Nigeria should only follow the pattern in the video where women remain slaves , would those who claim that same-sex marriage started in Africa and Africans shouldn't be homophobic agree?

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
The only thing I noticed in your reply is that you're fully supportive of the transmental community...those people are not normal and just like the Holy Bible said suffer a witch not to live they all deserve to be stoned to death
We'd be doing them a favour of we stone them once identified
Are you aware that there are 57 genders in the world today but the reality is that we only have 2 all the others are simply non copus mentis cool If you give them a little breathing space another group would spring up
my views don't make me like the Taliban.
Trans deserve to be stoned to death u know the medieval type that happened in the old testament cheesy
Fe190:

If you really meant this stoning you typed, then there's no difference between you and the Talibans. So far they're not killing, molesting, terrorizing, stealing national cake, or bombing anyone, I see no need for stoning. They should sha move to the west for now, cause it would take yearsss before they're accepted everywhere
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Legendoo: 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2021
PoliticallyLeft:

You're both correct and incorrect Ma, but more incorrect. You're very correct that some parts of the human body that are now classified and covered as private parts were hitherto public parts and you're correct about same-sex marriage in Africa (it's still in practice today by your tribe).

Why are you incorrect? You'll find out as you read.

I've always had interest in African traditions that are gaining acceptance in the West but declining in practice at where they stem from in our continent (which many studies conclude to be where life started).

Earlier this year, I published a thread on this platform about why masquerades and artifacts intrigued the white man but weren't enthralling to those whose ancestors designed them.

https://www.nairaland.com/6345810/why-foreigners-appreciate-nigerian-masquerades

That was a famous troll genuinely searching for answers grin . The replies I got uncovered a plethora of perspectives I did not focus attention on in the past.

The BBC video below is that of same-sex marriage which is welcomed in Igbo culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFC0xJh8uI

I'll talk about tattoos in Africa too.

So I'll write about masquerades and artifacts that rake in hundreds of millions of Euros in European museums, same-sex marriage, and employment of those with visible tattoos , all of which attract prejudice and segregation in Nigeria.

1. The masquerades and artifacts are held in high regard by citizens of Europe because to them it is arts. Arts is freedom and liberty. It is archeology. It is history, a path to the past of medieval African technology. Some of the curators that handle these artifacts in Europe are females. There's no embargo placed to prohibit them from touching those artifacts and cleaning them.

Masquerades and artifacts are demonized by Nigerians because it is bondage, it is tragic, it is gender discrimination and autocratic. In Nigeria, women are to remain indoors during some of these festivals where men parade the artifacts and masquerades. Women cannot join the societies that manage those artifacts and virgins may be sacrificed during these ceremonies.

2. Same-sex marriage to the inhabitants of the West is freedom to explore one's sexuality and be with whom they love irrespective of gender.

Same-sex marriage to tribes of the defunct Eastern region of Nigeria is the subjugation of a woman who is not allowed to have sex, explore her sexuality, or move on after the death of her husband or her betrothed. If there was an existing male sibling of the deceased , the wife would be inherited as a property. Since there is none, she has to live with the deceased's mother and perform traditional wife roles apart from sex (whether consummation happen in secret is another thing grin). If she's the deceased's betrothed, bride price will be paid and a wedding ceremony organised to hand her over to the deceased's mother as her new wife. This arrangement is slavery.

3. Tattoo in North America and Europe is fashion and arts. It can represent something or someone we hold dear like the one near your wrist grin You were neither forced to draw one nor the part of body where the tattoo should be drawn chosen for you.

Tattoo in Yoruba land is the tribal marks which damages the face of children without their consent. It is deeper and more brutal when inflicted on a first born and they have to live with it for the rest of their even if it makes them ugly.

Where am I coming from?

Let's draw an analogy:

Country A prohibits the eating of locusts except as punishment for the crime of goat theft. When a thief is caught with a stolen goat, the thief and is family is to provide 2 turtles, 1 python, 5 tubers of yam , a keg of palm wine, chicken, a goat and eat a plate of locusts or the thief will be banished to a thick forest forever.

Country B colonizes them in 1900 and calls them savages for eating locusts because it is alien to Country B's culture. They ban eating of locusts and introduce a criminal code which those who steal goats should be prosecuted under and sentenced to 2 years in Jail.

In 2000, there is a scientific breakthrough in Country B which correlates a newly discovered type of protein to locusts meal. They come back to convince Country A to eat locusts that they abolished because it is a good source of a rare protein.

To country B eating locusts is eating a rare form of protein but to country A eating locusts is sacrilege and meant for criminals.

An author would be correct if he argues that eating of locust which is now "locustphobia" started in Country A. But he isn't entirely correct when he doesn't talk about the motive.

Muiga, K, the author you cited up there, and the rest fall in that category. They deliberately omit motives when they write about that controversial but obvious past.

In criminal law, actus reus (act) and mens rea (intention/motive) must be present to convict criminals. It is why no judge in Nigeria where same-sex marriage is criminalized will sentence the women in the video above to a day in jail.

The intentions, purpose and motive of most of these acts which definitely began in Africa are different. To the West it means freedom but to Nigerians it is a remembrance of their dark past which they seek redemption for.

If you quote to disagree answer this question:

If there is a law that for a start , same-sex marriage in Nigeria should only follow the pattern in the video where women remain slaves , would those who claim that same-sex marriage started in Africa and Africans shouldn't be homophobic agree?

Wow this was nice to read.

They omit the cultural context in which those same sex marriage's happened like those of the igbos, which is quite different from the western free love same sex types.Very disingenuous, and an attempt to re write history using tact, which ommits the cultural context of those events.

I don't know how they expect people to resonate with an obvious lie.

My only question is where is this all headed?

Currently on twitter, there's a guy advocating for incest.

It never ends, hence why they need to be put back in the asylum .

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by cococandy(f): 1:17pm On Nov 06, 2021
PoliticallyLeft:

f there is a law that for a start , same-sex marriage in Nigeria should only follow the pattern in the video where women remain slaves , would those who claim that same-sex marriage started in Africa and Africans shouldn't be homophobic agree

I’m neither quoting to agree nor disagree.
I do have a question for you.
Where in this is the acknowledgment that same sex relationships also existed between African men?
It doesn’t have to be Igbo culture specific.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by shaybebaby(f): 1:26pm On Nov 06, 2021
Hyerin:
While I feel empathy for trans people, I just can't subscribe to their ideology. I don't believe a man can be a woman and vice versa. If you ask a transgender, how do they know they're a woman/man, they'll tell you they just feel like one. Feelings. Something fleeting which makes the entire concept of trans absurd. A man feels like a woman based on gender stereotypes. A woman feels like and wants to be a man based on wanting to escape misogyny and or gender stereotypes. I will never accept transgender for their bullying of J.K Rowling and Chimamanda.

A marginalized group has so much power to threaten and silence folks and even reconstruct language to suit them. Even black people don't have that kind of power
In Dave Chappelle's Netflix special , The Closer, he said " It was easier for Caitlyn Jenner ( Bruce) to change her gender than it was for Cassius Clay to change his name ( Mohammed Ali)".

I have to say that gave me pause for thought. Still paused as I'm still trying to make that fact make sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Flamemignon1(m): 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2021
abbey621:

What are you ranting about? Must you people pick fights with every word or sentence? We all have a job to educate, whether you embrace it or not, it is still a duty shared by all. I just adviced him to choose love when they throw hate at him but then again you missed the entire point and chose to attack instead....Na wa o, vauhulence everywhere grin grin
Like I said, there's no use educating someone who's already on the opposing line because they will both agree to disagree and has vowed to remain there but like an oppressor, you still blame the victim
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by edoairways: 2:03pm On Nov 06, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
Trans and homosexuality can never be accepted in Africa, let them go to the west where they tolerate it.
It is acceptable in South Africa
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by GoodLord95: 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2021
Transformation
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 06, 2021
cococandy:

I’m neither quoting to agree nor disagree.
I do have a question for you.
Where in this is the acknowledgment that same sex relationships also existed between African men?
It doesn’t have to be Igbo culture specific.

When those who argue that African males were formerly homosexuals seek historical evidence to support their premise, they often recourse to either of the alternatives:

1. Isolated "reported" cases of prominent homosexuals documented by colonialists. For example, King Xxxx of Nnnn community was reported to have a male concubine in 720 AD.

2. Clichés or jovial phrases that are further submerged in travesty. For example, a term used to describe a man that loves to cook or men with big buttocks may be cited as proof of homosexuality among men in distinct African tribes.

The criticism of the former technique is that "culture" is defined as a way of life. It is not a one day thing or an individual thing. Culture is a system. If individual cases are used to prove homosexual culture in Africa, a conclusion could also be drawn that cohabitation without payment of bride price was acceptable in Africa because there are definitely cases where young women ran away from their homes. Isolated cases do not constitute acceptable norms but deviancy.

Reproval of the latter technique is that the clichés are tease words and do not have any system to back them up. I was an handsome kid full of life grin and my mother's friends would lift me up and call me "My husband" in our vernacular. This is common among Nigerian women and we can't call them pedophiles because there's no existing system to back our argument up. Why then are "adofuro" or "Yan daudu" which are clichés in Yoruba and Hausa respectively historical justifications for homosexuality among Yoruba and Hausa men where there is no known or recorded system of groom price payment to back them up?

As long as concrete systems of male-male relationships have little or no position in African history, then those arguments are negative proof.

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by 2mNaira: 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2021
Righteousness2:

If having Sense is the ability to approve Evil and Abominations, that Sense is a Destructive Sense.
If your Sense or reasoning is against your Creator, you are clearly on the path of Destruction.

Transe is an euphemism for amaphrodite- people who have both male and female sex organ.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by omojeesu(m): 5:33pm On Nov 06, 2021
The beginning of the end.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by TheSourcerer: 1:52am On Nov 07, 2021
Legendoo:

But you haven't proven them wrong. All you're doing is emotional blackmail.

Here's the working Google definition.

Transgender people are people whose gender identity is different from the gender they were thought to be at birth. “Trans” is often used as shorthand for transgender. When we're born, a doctor usually says that we're male or female based on what our bodies look like.

Essentially it's based on feelings.

Ok I feel like a stone. grin
grin
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by lkillbrokehoes: 2:41am On Nov 07, 2021
edoairways:

It is acceptable in South Africa
It's acceptable in South Africa because the whites rule over there, you know that the blacks there can't think on there own, that is why they are mostly useless
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by OloyeVIII: 10:05am On Nov 07, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright......

Hmmmm....perused through this long article

But why a man go want become a woman na wetin I nor understand and why a woman go want become.....

Anyway...life is misery

At some point we have to come to terms with these....
What if you notice one of your sibling having a change in sexuality due to the fact they attended an all girls school.
This is what i have to deal with, i wanna have a convo but i just can't and I'm already accepting it just dunno if anyone else in my family will.
Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by TMKsouth: 11:04am On Nov 07, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
It's acceptable in South Africa because the whites rule over there, you know that the blacks there can't think on there own, that is why they are mostly useless

You're such an idiot and house nigga.

Homosexuality was illegal during white rule in SA. All the LGBTI rights were fought for by the ANC (black government), including same-sex marriage.

Stop sucking white man's butt in broad daylight.

cc edoairways

Re: The Challenges Of Being Trans In Nigeria - Al Jazeera by TenQ: 5:03pm On Feb 11, 2022
lalasticlala:

SOURCE: https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2021/11/1/i-feel-invisible-the-challenges-of-being-trans-in-nigeria
I remember that that's exactly how one man felt under the "odan tree" where he had his shelter.

No one could convince him that he was crazily-mad and insane. We had to let him be at least, he was happy with his smelly self and his "palace" which to the rest of us is a refuse dump.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Stop The Hypocrisy: Ukraine Treated Black Africans Better Than South Africa Did! / Fayose Shares Money To Children Who Flocked Around Him After Project Inspection / Buhari In Jos, Plateau: Crowd Climbs Billboard To Get A Glimpse Of The President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.