Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin (420 Views)

Amad: Former Mayor of Johannesburg Pictured Wielding Rifle In Support Of Hamas / Mpho Phalatse: First-Ever Female Mayor Of Johannesburg Is Young, Black & Sexy / Meet Amarachuka Enyia, Kanye West Supports Mayor Of Chicago Contestant With $73K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin by KillingIsFun: 9:47pm On Nov 05, 2021
Eric Adams, a former captain in the NYPD, says he wants to make New York City the centre of the cryptocurrency industry.

Eric Adams, the new mayor-elect of New York, says he wants his first three pay cheques in the role to be made out in Bitcoin.

[img]https://images./3gLH99h8XSrLVeGU8p1L5j.jpg[/img]

Adams, a Democrat and a retired captain in the New York Police Department, will become the second Black mayor of New York when he takes office in January.

Responding to Miami mayor Francis Suarez who said he was going to take his next pay cheque in Bitcoin, Mr Adams responded: "In New York we always go big, so I'm going to take my first THREE paychecks in Bitcoin when I become mayor.

"NYC is going to be the center of the cryptocurrency industry and other fast-growing, innovative industries! Just wait!" Mr Adams added.

It follows a campaign in which Mr Adams referenced the Miami mayor's support for cryptocurrency and vowed that New York would become "the centre of Bitcoins" and "the centre of all the technology".

"Miami, you had your run," he said.

However the move may set Mr Adams on a collision course with New York's Attorney General, Letitia James, who has recently launched a crackdown on unregistered cryptocurrency companies.

Last week, Ms James announced she would be running for New York governor in the midterms next year.

Bitcoin is currently trading at around $61,500 (£45,800) per token although the notoriously volatile currency has been worth as little as $33,000 (£24,500) per token in recent months.

Figures published at the start of this year showed 2.3 million UK adults held cryptoassets including Bitcoin, up by 400,000 on the previous year, despite warnings of the risks involved.

In the UK, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has said that if consumers invest in the unregulated products they should be prepared to lose all their money.

https://news.sky.com/story/new-yorks-new-mayor-eric-adams-wants-his-first-three-pay-cheques-in-bitcoin-12460775

Mynd44 Lalasticlala
Re: New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin by Fahdiga(m): 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2021
This one na yahoo yahoo boy 2.0

2 Likes

Re: New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin by Penguin2: 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2021
Thank God I’m mining PI grin

Make e no be like say I no dey investor in crypto.

Crypto currency is the future baby.
Re: New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 06, 2021
A black mayor

That is good
Re: New Mayor Of New York Wants His Salary To Be In Bitcoin by BlackfireX: 5:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
E go be

Yoruba man

Or

Igbo man

I talk am

(1) (Reply)

Russia Says It Will Withdraw Some Of Its Troops From Ukraine Border / Latest Ukrainian Victory - Russian Artillery Unit Wiped Out ( RIP ) / Twitter Deletes Russia Statement On Hospital Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.