Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,115 members, 7,957,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:27 AM

Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School (3194 Views)

See The Food Given to my daughter today in school by Government. / Nigerian dad reacts after daughter's school forced her to losen her braided hair / Sheriff Muhammad Wins African Spelling Bee Champion Title (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by SaintOpzy(m): 6:49am On Nov 06, 2021
So I have a daughter in primary 4 who I know spells quite well, due to the books I've got her and her school English curriculum which focuses on spelling and diction too.

Then, earlier this week, on the PT WhatsApp forum, the headmistress sent a spelling list to train our kids with, and these were what I saw.

Are these too much for them as 6-8 year old kids or kudos to the school?

P.S: my daughter can spell about 17 of them already without help.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 06, 2021
The convener must have watched Akeelah and the bee.

19 Likes

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by bkool7(m): 6:56am On Nov 06, 2021
These are certainly a for secondary schools spelling bee

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by jaeyking(m): 7:02am On Nov 06, 2021
Whosoever is organizing it watched too much Akeelah and spelling bee.

Well the type of school determines it.

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by thesicilian: 7:03am On Nov 06, 2021
They are quite appropriate for that age group. It is not the school's fault that the standard of education has dropped so low that some even graduates can not spell more than half of these words.

5 Likes

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by SportsHD: 7:10am On Nov 06, 2021
I feel it's okay. When I was in pry 5, I could spell harder words than this. And, that was like 15 plus years back.
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:11am On Nov 06, 2021
Wow...your daughter is nkonjo iweala in the making.

Keep up the good work.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by SaintOpzy(m): 7:41am On Nov 06, 2021
bkool7:
These are certainly a for secondary schools spelling bee

No, it's a primary school..

She told me this morning that they already did the spelling bee sef.

Apparently she got it all...

Me sef gan, cannot spell those things offhand.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by SaintOpzy(m): 7:42am On Nov 06, 2021
SportsHD:
I feel it's okay. When I was in pry 5, I could spell harder words than this. And, that was like 15 plus years back.

she's in primary 4
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by SaintOpzy(m): 7:43am On Nov 06, 2021
thesicilian:
They are quite appropriate for that age group. It is not the school's fault that the standard of education has dropped so low that some even graduates can not spell more than half of these words.

My exact thought. Most of those words are registers tho, so you shouldn't expect the average graduate to spell them

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 06, 2021
R
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by Zenithh: 8:10am On Nov 06, 2021
So what are your fears now?

This is the result of wack school system some parents attended in their time. Why are you shivering on about this list?

It’s a spelling bee FGS! Oh u were expecting to see cup,book,spoon,table? Lmao

The words are too simple looking sef

My niece in British school here in Lekki can spell greater words than this and we luv her more.
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by illicit(m): 8:51am On Nov 06, 2021
It's okay tho
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by RoyalBoutique(m): 10:03am On Nov 06, 2021
Only in Nigeria that parents will complain about the words in a spelling bee.

What's in those words for a primary school student?

Come to Minnesota and see spelling bee words.

You go see say this one na child's play.

Little wonder American kids mature very fast intellectualy.
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by McStoic(m): 10:06am On Nov 06, 2021
RoyalBoutique:

Hmmm... American kids indeed! Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by Gadafii: 10:42am On Nov 06, 2021
As I dey like this, head don dey pain me trying to spell pronounce these words.

Well, kids of these are super smart and easily learn things in their environment.

When I be that age, I never even enter primary one, Dem talk say my right hand no reach my left ears, which was the criteria then, but these days parents don dey put kids for school at 1 year 6 months, by the time they are four, they don dey spell words like this.

My brothers daughter of 10 years no like maths, but if she speak Chinese for you, u go shook cheesy

She has won medals for her school in swimming competition. Her younger brother na science genius, him no too like swimming cos he almost drawn once grin

But you see maths and art, he no use a play

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by vvvbobby205(m): 11:26am On Nov 06, 2021
muyoge:

You get am grin
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by proxitaly: 12:17pm On Nov 06, 2021
Logorrhea
Synecdoche
Pulchritude
Xanthosis

Akeela and the Bee

I feel so nostalgic already...

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by JavaScript90: 12:23pm On Nov 06, 2021
Ok
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by Passionnn: 6:33pm On Nov 06, 2021
muyoge:

Most of the words on this list were copied from the movie, " Akeela and the Bee"
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by SaintOpzy(m): 6:47pm On Nov 06, 2021
RoyalBoutique:

Egbami, which part of my post sounded like a complaint tori olorun...??
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by RoyalBoutique(m): 6:49pm On Nov 06, 2021
SaintOpzy:

Egbami, which part of my post sounded like a complaint tori olorun...??

Amu ngwele
Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by siofra(f): 3:01am On Nov 07, 2021
McStoic:

Hmmm... American kids indeed! Lol grin

Me sef I even dey laugh am!

Truly American kids indeed!!

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by siofra(f): 3:02am On Nov 07, 2021
Those words aren't difficult for a seven/eight year old though. It may be difficult for a six year old but she/he can practice.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by beautyhd: 5:10am On Nov 07, 2021
The class teacher has watched akeelah and the bee because she picked most words from the movie.

Teach her to learn how to spell those and also the meanings of those words in a simpler language.

Nope, the words are not too much for her age.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Spelling Bee List At My Daughter's School by McStoic(m): 4:20pm On Nov 07, 2021
siofra:

Me sef I even dey laugh am!

Truly American kids indeed!!

As in eh. Of all countries oo

(1) (Reply)

Some Japanese Schools Rules / UNIBEN Post UTME Official Result Is Out For 2013/2014! / Nigeria Police Recruitment 2015/16 Form Is Out & Online Call 2348159476241 Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.