Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) (1518 Views)

MY Japa Plans / Is 10 Million Naira Enough To Leave Nigeria? (japa Plans) / 9 Things To Bear In Mind When Reversing Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by UrFears: 10:31am On Nov 06, 2021
Hi guys, pls a career path in medicals(Nursing, med doc., etc) or in Tech (programming, Software eng,etc) which do you think its more profitable?. Forget about passion, etc. Which would advice one to go into interms of ease of getting jobs and profitability. Thanks
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by dalass(f): 11:55am On Nov 06, 2021
Obviously you're a science student. Go for Medicine if you can endure long years. If not do nursing

1 Like

Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:58am On Nov 06, 2021
dalass:
Obviously you're a science student. Go for Medicine if you can endure long years. If not do nursing
Which medicine. I can never advise anyone to study that crap. Op go for computer science. That's the best course to study in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by UrFears: 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Which medicine. I can never advise anyone to study that crap. Op go for computer science. That's the best course to study in Nigeria.
Thanks boss. I have been learning UI/UX Design for a while now, what do you think about it?, interms of availability of jobs
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by babakb: 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2021
[quote author=tensazangetsu20 post=107377003
Which medicine. I can never advise anyone to study that crap. Op go for computer science. That's the best course to study in Nigeria.[/quote]

Hmmm, I'm about to make a very tough decision too, I'm 38 years & married with two kids, I'm in the Canada EE pool but with a low score and my occupation (0621) is not in Demand.

I'm thinking of switching careers, thinking of enrolling in Computer Science in any recognized University in Cotonou, I have enough savings to pursue this but some people think I'm been delusional sad sad

I guess I will just shoot my shot...
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2021
UrFears:
Thanks boss. I have been learning UI/UX Design for a while now, what do you think about it?, interms of availability of jobs
Yeah There's a ton of jobs available for it. Just get good.

1 Like

Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:12pm On Nov 06, 2021
[quote author=babakb post=107377304][/quote]
Why Cotonou though? I think you should focus on acquiring the skills itself and trying to get a job in Europe.
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by babakb: 12:14pm On Nov 06, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Why Cotonou though? I think you should focus on acquiring the skills itself and trying to get a job in Europe.

Where will I aquire the skills? I don't know Jack about the Tech world but my brain is hot, I will learn with the right resources....
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:16pm On Nov 06, 2021
babakb:

Where will I aquire the skills? I don't know Jack about the Tech world but my brain is hot, I will learn with the right resources....
Look for a past thread I made. I have a path and if you follow it getting a job shouldn't be a problem. Except the degree is in a western country which lead to permanent residency and Citizenship I won't advise you to do any degree afresh in any African country.

5 Likes

Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by akus6060(m): 12:55pm On Nov 06, 2021
Your info has been informative on nairaland and i say kudos for a job well done .
tensazangetsu20:

Look for a past thread I made. I have a path and if you follow it getting a job shouldn't be a problem. Except the degree is in a western country which lead to permanent residency and Citizenship I won't advise you to do any degree afresh in any African country.
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by UrFears: 1:00pm On Nov 06, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah There's a ton of jobs available for it. Just get good.
Thanks alot
Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by Gerrard59(m): 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
UrFears:
Hi guys, pls a career path in medicals(Nursing, med doc., etc) or in Tech (programming, Software eng,etc) which do you think its more [b]profitable[/b]?. Forget about passion, etc. Which would advice one to go into interms of ease of getting jobs and profitability. Thanks

Lucrative is the word not profitable*

Medicine is only lucrative in the US but most medical doctors are saddled with huge debts after studies. Also. it takes a long time to gestate. Tech on the other hand is also lucrative depending on the route you take and the companies you work with. Also, the barriers of entry are very low - anyone can learn a tech relevant skill and leave Nigeria within five years (all things being equal). Not so for medicine. On that note, study either computer science or mathematics, don't study any course that takes five years because ASUU is there plus internal problems that might arise in the university. In the nearest future, Nigerian universities will embark on strike action that will last for a long time (Nigeria is damn broke and the world's poverty capital). Worse still, should El-Rufai become president, what is happening to Kaduna State University will be meted across all tertiary institutions in Nigeria, and you know what that means? wink

2 Likes

Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by BigDawsNet: 10:44am On Nov 08, 2021
UrFears:
Hi guys, pls a career path in medicals(Nursing, med doc., etc) or in Tech (programming, Software eng,etc) which do you think its more profitable?. Forget about passion, etc. Which would advice one to go into interms of ease of getting jobs and profitability. Thanks

Both

A senior Medical makes close $230k/yr
A senior IT Expert makes close $205k/yr

Before tax

1 Like

Re: Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind) by Cousin9999: 4:05pm On Nov 08, 2021
Nursing pays well (abroad). Training isn't expensive either.

Info for:
LPN - 2 yr training
RN - undergrad
NP - grad

US (government) bureau of labor statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/mobile/licensed-practical-and-licensed-vocational-nurses.htm
The median annual wage for licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses was $48,820 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $35,570, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $65,520.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/mobile/registered-nurses.htm
The median annual wage for registered nurses was $75,330 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $53,410, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $116,230.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/mobile/nurse-anesthetists-nurse-midwives-and-nurse-practitioners.htm
The median annual wage for nurse anesthetists, nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners was $117,670 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $84,120, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $190,900.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Advice From People In Abuja. Am Depressed! / Travel To The Uk / Application For U.k. Visit Visa As A Youth Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.