Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education (5205 Views)

Buhari Scraps Security Vote To Top Officials - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Has Scrapped Security Vote To Top Federal Officials / Gov Fayose Slashes Security Vote By 50%,, Reduces Ministries From 24 To 14 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Adejoro74: 1:14am On Jun 06, 2011
Rochas slashes security vote
From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Monday, June 06, 2011

Photo: Sun News Publishing

Imo State Government has slashed the annual security vote of N6.5 billion to N2.5billion to make provision for the free education programme of the state.

This was disclosed by the Governor, Rochas Okorocha while speaking during a thanksgiving church service organized in honour of the new administration at the Maria Assumpta Cathedral, Owerri.
The governor commended the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Owerri, who was the chief celebrant of the service, for standing by the truth always and enjoined him to always assist in guiding the government aright.

Governor Okorocha admitted that his administration would live by the tenets of sacrifice as exhibited by Christ, and would use every accruable fund judiciously for the uplifting of the state, adding that everybody, especially the civil servants must join hands to achieve the tasks ahead.

Earlier, Archbishop Obinna prayed for the success of the new administration and called on it to concentrate on achieving the goals of free education, agriculture, roads rehabilitation, potable water and workers’ welfare.
He enjoined Governor Okorocha to remain focused and upright in the discharge of his duties in order to meet the aspirations of the Imo people who had borne long years of deprivation and hardship in the hands of previous administrations.

The elated prelate stressed that this was the first time the peoples’ votes would count and commended the common man and the army for joining hands to defend the votes, but called on the police to live up to expectation in protecting the interests of the people.

“God has visited his people and redeemed them. The supreme might of God is shown in his supreme mercy. Only God himself can explain what made it possible for this young man to become governor of Imo. Expectations of Imo are beyond imagination. He needs to be pitied. He may not be able to work wonders,” the Archbishop said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/june/06/newsbreak-06-06-2011-001.html
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Adejoro74: 1:16am On Jun 06, 2011
The funny thing here is that he is spoiling show for the next governor. If this works, it will be difficult for the next governor to tell the usual story of there is no money. He is going to save a whopping 4 billion per annum to help the poor youths get an education. Great man, indeed.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Adejoro74: 1:19am On Jun 06, 2011
But he should not be an official father Christmas alone. He also should invest some of the saved monies on physical infrastructure. Imo people need industries.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:08am On Jun 06, 2011
It makes sense doesn't it: the more Imo youths that are actively engaged in education, the less the government has to worry about security. I pray this man succeeds in all his good intentions.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by texazzpete(m): 7:30am On Jun 06, 2011
Adejoro74:

But he should not be an official father Christmas alone. He also should invest some of the saved monies on physical infrastructure. Imo people need industries.

So free education is now 'Father Christmas' abi?
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 06, 2011
Most of the money doesn't get to the security agencies in the first instance ? 6.5 billion yet there was high crime rate in imo during ohakim days ?
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by violent(m): 7:46am On Jun 06, 2011
While everyone seem to dance about at every slight stunt pulled by this godsent Messiah, no one seem to paint a clearer picture of the current state of affairs.

How much does an average Government primary/secondary school charge on an annual basis?

Are the student getting free education marred by poor quality and unmotivated teachers or does the free package include upgrade of all government schools from sub-junk status to an elite status?

What plans does Governor Rochas have in place to ensure the continuity of this initiative?  e.g is it backed by a legislature which approves free education for Imo state citizens such that, notwithstanding the government in power the initiative will continue?

Is free education a pressing priority to Imo state indegenes over other things like improving economic output and increasing jobs?

ps.  I would ignore you if all you have to say is "Appreciate him, at least he's doing something. . .or, you are just hating on him"

(gosh, i wonder why people must think i should be hating on a governor, that's just stupíd!!!!!
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by kcjazz(m): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2011
violent:

While everyone seem to dance about at every slight stunt pulled by this godsent Messiah, no one seem to paint a clearer picture of the current state of affairs.

How much does an average Government primary/secondary school charge on an annual basis?

Are the student getting free education marred by poor quality and unmotivated teachers or does the free package include upgrade of all government schools from sub-junk status to an elite status?

The money is here, now it is a new question.

First off, Imo State has the highest literacy rate in Nigeria. Meaning: Someone is passing their JAMB and getting the minimum 5 credits. Quality is relative, it not like it is Katsina or Boko. The issue of quality is not buildings or computer, it is an institutional problem in Nigeria.
However, Rochas Okorocha has a plan to re-train and improve teachers quality. Programs such as the Teach-The-Teacher Program (TTP) will handle that aspect. To the best of my knowledge, no new schools are being built rather schools will be upgraded and modernized. Bring back the glory of Bishop Shanahan, Holy Ghost college etc

Cost of Primary/Secondary not sure since the UBE still operates in some states and it is relative to what Rochas brings which is uniforms, books, lunch etc (which Rochas has experience on running his schools). Again for Imo, the idea is not just free education for sexy sake it is for every poor kid to go to school irrespective of poverty. And a law will be sent to Imo Assembly to make it illegal if your kids stay home.

violent:

What plans does Governor Rochas have in place to ensure the continuity of this initiative?  e.g is it backed by a legislature which approves free education for Imo state citizens such that, notwithstanding the government in power the initiative will continue?

Is free education a pressing priority to Imo state indegenes over other things like improving economic output and increasing jobs?

As mentioned above, a bill will be sent to Imo Assembly regarding education. The issue of continuity is more in the hands of Imo citizens, there will always be a candidate who will want to cut spending. Rochas role is to set up a system to ensure the goal is achieved and funding provided. By slashing the security votes he has started that process. Security votes is even unconstitutional but someone is putting to good use.

Free education is not the only issue facing Imo but we love our schools and religion cheesy
Rochas has a plan for a 100MW power plant, Free healthcare for kids and adults over 65 plus improving our ailing industries, get Imo back into Agriculture production. This are the key areas for the Imo recovery.

It is not an easy task but it must be done and we the people will hold him accountable.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by keside(m): 10:47pm On Jun 06, 2011
@ violent, Be happy 4 imo people. Check dis link and confirm

www.nationalmirroronline.net/news/13599.html
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by violent(m): 10:49pm On Jun 06, 2011
keside:

@ violent, Be happy 4 imo people. Check dis link and confirm

www.nationalmirroronline.net/news/13599.html

If people like you reside in the state, then i see the pressing need for free education!

can't you read my post? shocked
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by dayokanu(m): 11:06pm On Jun 06, 2011
What PDP cant do, APGA is doing

PDP is evil
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Ibime(m): 12:12am On Jun 07, 2011
I believe in Rochas.

From his numerous scholarships to his participation as a member of MEND's Aaron team, I am of the opinion that although he may not be squeaky clean, he has wisdom, application and most of all, empathy for the common man.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by EzeUche1(m): 12:16am On Jun 07, 2011
Ibime:

I believe in Rochas.

From his numerous scholarships to his participation as a member of MEND's Aaron team, I am of the opinion that although he may not be squeaky clean, he has wisdom, application and most of all, empathy for the common man.

Name one politician in Nigeria that has a "squeaky clean" record. Even the "great" Fashola record is not so clean as many of you think. I would go even further to say, name ONE politicians around the world that has a "squeaky clean" record.

Rochas is may soon be seen as an Igbo savior. I wish him continued success.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by kasiem(m): 12:44am On Jun 07, 2011
violent:

ps.  I would ignore you if all you have to say is "Appreciate him, at least he's doing something. . .or, you are just hating on him"

(gosh, i wonder why people must think i should be hating on a governor, that's just stupíd!!!!!
the other time u were calling the conman by forfeiting only his salary, today u've the passion the man is trying to attach to his programmes for the state u still looking for a way to vilify and discourage him. I dont have a word for ur likes.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by ebere1712: 1:42am On Jun 07, 2011
I must say that I think rochas has the best intentions. I am an imo citizen and I am afraid of the way he is going with his reforms. From the things I am hearing, I think he is trying to run the wrong kind of welfare state. I am against free education not because I don't want poor children to go to school but because I believe that , free education, under any government is unsustainable and no government can sponsor an education system that is world standard for free. Where is the money going to come from. Instead I think rochas should work out a payback scheme where people are required to pay back cost of their education over a period of time. It would be like a government sponsored loan. And the education should be world standard. It is better we have a well trained carpenter than to have a quack doctor. This would also free up money for investing in industries that would provide opportunities for direct and indirect employment. That way our youths wouldn't have to leave the state for employment. Industries like metallurgy and mining, chemical production and research, and auto mobiles and machines shud be championed by the government. I know many people would disagree with government involvement in certain industries, but the truth is that we have waited for over 50 years for individuals and private companies to invest in such areas but there has been little to no progress. I hold the view that the government should kick-start some of these critical industries so that local people can be encouraged to take advantage of them . Note that I'm not trying to discredit him. I'm just saying that having the right intentions doesn't always result in good performance. Let me give a simple example. In Nigeria, if you come up with a good design for a microprocessor, you need to be good at semiconductor etching and circuitry or your only other option is to sell the idea to a foreign firm. That may be a lousy example but I think you get my drift. There are areas where we need government active involvement or we would never see progress in those areas any time soon. However, I also believe governments should build such companies with with a goal of selling it on a latter date.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Mynd44: 4:49am On Jun 07, 2011
Nigerian politician have serious issues. I think this guy should actually sit down to see the accounts of his state before making declarations on free education cos from what he himself said, the wage bill of the state is already taking almost 95% of the state's money
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by violent(m): 6:23am On Jun 07, 2011
kasiem:

the other time u were calling the conman by forfeiting only his salary, today u've the passion the man is trying to attach to his programmes for the state u still looking for a way to vilify and discourage him. I dont have a word for your likes.

Móron, I asked a question, put up or shut up!
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Kobojunkie: 6:36am On Jun 07, 2011
ebere1712:

I must say that I think rochas has the best intentions. I am an imo citizen and I am afraid of the way he is going with his reforms. From the things I am hearing, I think he is trying to run the wrong kind of welfare state. I am against free education not because I don't want poor children to go to school but because I believe that , free education, under any government is unsustainable and no government can sponsor an education system that is world standard for free. Where is the money going to come from. Instead I think rochas should work out a payback scheme where people are required to pay back cost of their education over a period of time. It would be like a government sponsored loan. And the education should be world standard. It is better we have a well trained carpenter than to have a quack doctor. This would also free up money for investing in industries that would provide opportunities for direct and indirect employment. That way our youths wouldn't have to leave the state for employment. Industries like metallurgy and mining, chemical production and research, and auto mobiles and machines shud be championed by the government. I know many people would disagree with government involvement in certain industries, but the truth is that we have waited for over 50 years for individuals and private companies to invest in such areas but there has been little to no progress. I hold the view that the government should kick-start some of these critical industries so that local people can be encouraged to take advantage of them . Note that I'm not trying to discredit him. I'm just saying that having the right intentions doesn't always result in good performance. Let me give a simple example. In Nigeria, if you come up with a good design for a microprocessor, you need to be good at semiconductor etching and circuitry or your only other option is to sell the idea to a foreign firm. That may be a lousy example but I think you get my drift. There are areas where we need government active involvement or we would never see progress in those areas any time soon. However, I also believe governments should build such companies with with a goal of selling it on a latter date.

Are you sure you are from Imo State? Because it is my understanding that those from Imo would always be in support of Rocha's schemes. Did you vote for him? grin
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by houvest: 7:51am On Jun 07, 2011
Another good move.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by anointedf(m): 12:18pm On Jun 07, 2011
Rochas Thumb up for you. Awon ta nso ni yen.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by JAZES(m): 1:02pm On Jun 07, 2011
A very good and welcome development.
Thumbs Up
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by onuphilin: 1:04pm On Jun 07, 2011
that's what we need now, Imo state has come of age, and it's time for us to go all the way with radical changes for sustainable development
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by rolchi(m): 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2011
I believe that Rochas is just involved in initial gra-gra! Free Education on what standards? Free Education up to what level? What will he do to IMSU, Alvan Ikoku College of Education, Imo State Polytechnic, and othe secondary schools like Holy Ghost, Bishop Shanahan, Emmanuel, Owerri Girls, etc. You need to visit these schools to know that free education with out a quality environment to reinforce the learning and quality teaching staff to support the initiate is a mirage. Has he agreed to pay the minimum wage or will teachers not benefit?

Let's just watch and see.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by vicenzo(m): 1:39pm On Jun 07, 2011
I can see fake imolites in this thread,as if rochas knows they exist.
Rochas has good intentions for imo state and all imolites believe in his ability to transform his intentions into reality,that is what matters.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^^Yes, if you do not agree with @vincenzo and his ego, you are a fake imolite, right? grin grin grin
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Bensonite: 2:07pm On Jun 07, 2011
Kobo,
Why would you ask if he voted for Rochas- whether he did or not does not matter now. Again it is wrong for you to think that all Imolites will support all policies of Rochas. Critical question asked is the sustenace of the free education. The state as I know is in dire need of economic opportunities and if the new minimum wage is already eating deep into their pulse, it calls for concern. Rochas is doing this from a good intention but that does not mean options can not be explored properly.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by otukpo(f): 2:20pm On Jun 07, 2011
People are already getting jealous of Imo state.
Rochas, carry go jor!
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Jun 07, 2011
Bensonite:

Kobo,
Why would you ask if he voted for Rochas- whether he did or not does not matter now. Again it is wrong for you to think that all Imolites will support all policies of Rochas. Critical question asked is the sustenace of the free education. The state as I know is in dire need of economic opportunities and if the new minimum wage is already eating deep into their pulse, it calls for concern. Rochas is doing this from a good intention but that does not mean options can not be explored properly.
vicenzo:

I can see fake imolites in this thread,as if rochas knows they exist.
Rochas has good intentions for imo state and all imolites believe in his ability to transform his intentions into reality,that is what matters.

@benzonite, I didn't make the claims, @Vincenzo and his company did. grin
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by anishe(m): 2:26pm On Jun 07, 2011
What else can i say? I AM IMPRESSED. KEEP IT UP ROCHAS
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Roland17(m): 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2011
If he decides to concentrate on the battered educational sector in Imo state, i don't think its a bad idea, the problem with many governors is that, they try to handle too much, at the end they leave nothing, a big example is Ohakim (alias anya 4:30) i hope he get blind very soon.
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by shady26(m): 3:03pm On Jun 07, 2011
@KOBO JUNKIE,y dont u get lost from this thread seeing ur views r not welcome and go look for any thread talkn about Yoruba eko fashola acn all joined togather to massage ur delusions instead of wastn ur talents here or do u think they r not seeing the jealousy veiled in ur comments.jema je du, ari onye iwu ebe!
Re: Rochas Slashes Security Vote To Make Money For Free Education by Kobojunkie: 3:05pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^ When you grow a brain, you will probably realize then say no be your papa get this thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian States Are All Broke / We Didn't Ask Jonathan To Resign - Northern CAN / Jonathan Visits IBB: Are Igbos Now Slaves To The Hausa Fulanis??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.