Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims (2797 Views)

Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims / Afenifere Accuses Buhari Of Tribal Bigotry Against Igbos / Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 4:44pm On Nov 07, 2021
By Farooq A. Kperogi

Amid the grief of the heartrendingly tragic collapse of the 21-storey luxury apartment building in Ikoyi, Lagos, a sadly familiar, barely acknowledged but nonetheless insidiously widespread anti-Muslim bigotry in Yoruba land came to light.

A Yoruba Muslim by the name of Adebowale Sikiru revealed in an interview with a YouTube news channel called AN 24 that he was rejected for a job at the Ikoyi construction site because of his Muslim faith. He applied for the position of a site engineer and was found qualified enough to deserve being invited for an interview by Femi Osibona, the MD of Fourscore Homes, the firm that managed the construction of the ill-fated multi-storey building.

After the interview, Sikiru said Osibona asked him what church he attended, and he responded that he was a Muslim. “Ah, I can’t work with a Muslim,” Sikiru quoted Osibona to have said. Osibona reportedly said in Yoruba that he couldn’t work with someone whose response to his chant of “Praise God!” would be “Alhamdulillah!”

When Sikiru told him of his struggles with getting gainfully employed after graduation, Osibona also reportedly said it was probably because of his Muslim faith that he was not “able to make a headway” in life. “He said that in front of even the bricklayers” and many others at the site, Sikiru said.

Sikiru left the site sad, humiliated, and deflated, but a friend of his who brought his attention to the job he had interviewed for called him while he was on his way back home. The friend wanted to find out if he was trapped in the building that had collapsed a few hours earlier. That was the time it dawned on Sikiru that his rejection and humiliation on account of his faith ironically saved him from death.

Unfortunately, Osibona died in the collapsed building, so we have no way of getting his own side of the story. Nonetheless, it doesn’t seem plausible that Sikiru, who didn’t even come across as a devout Muslim during his interview with AN 24, would just wake up and invent the encounter with Osibona. Plus, videos that have emerged of Osibona’s meretriciously outward displays of his Christianity and evangelical exhibitionism are consistent with Sikiru’s account of his encounter with him.

More than that, though, it merely instantiates the casual bigotry that Yoruba Muslims routinely contend with in their own natal region on account of their faith, which I’ve known for years.

I followed the social media conversations that Sikiru’s encounter with Osibona triggered among Yoruba Muslims and came away with the distinct impression that many Yoruba Muslims are seething with frustration and deep-seated inferiority complex on account of their faith-based systematic exclusion and demonization, but they are grinning and bearing their fate in smoldering silence out of social pressure, out of anxieties about social ostracism. We call this the spectacle of the spiral of silence in communication theory.

A Facebook friend of mine by the name of Ganiyu Oludare Lasisi who now lives and works in Scotland narrated how he was denied a job to teach high school geography in his hometown of Abeokuta because of his Muslim faith. He has an Upper Second-Class honors degree in Geography and a distinction in the subject in his “O” level. But “on the day of the interview,” Lasisi said, “the school owner/founder (also a pastor) rejected me because of my Muslim name (Ganiyu). I was so sad and angry then. He even suggested that I can convert to Christianity and change Ganiyu to Gabriel.”

In their safe spaces, multiple Yoruba Muslims shared similar such anecdotal encounters of causal bigotry. They say they are habitually ridiculed for their faith, sneered at for their Muslim sartorial choices, alienated and rhetorically marginalized, and outright denied opportunities by people with whom they share the same ethnicity. Several of them are forced to convert to Christianity or hide their faith to fit in.

Just the other day, on November 3, Premium Times published a story of the appointment of a 45-year-old professor of geo-technical engineering by the name of Afeez Bello as acting Vice Chancellor of the Osun State University in Osogbo. The photo of Bello that the paper used to illustrate the story was of a heavily bearded man with a Muslim felt hat.

Apparently, that sartorial symbol of male Muslim identity was like a red rag to a bull among Christian Facebook commenters, most of whom were Yoruba. The man was called “Boko Haram,” “Shekau’s reincarnation,” a “fanatic,” and all sorts of other cruel slanders and unwarrantedly unmentionable vituperations. I was emotionally distraught after reading a sample of the comments. I inflicted self-torture on myself.

The truth is that the famed religious ecumenicalism and tolerance of the Yoruba people is often achieved at the expense of Yoruba Muslims. It is they, and not their Christian brothers and sisters, who must always perform religious tolerance. (In his interview with the YouTube news channel, even Sikiru felt compelled to say that 95 percent of his friends are Christians and that he hadn’t closed off the possibility that he could convert to Christianity at some point in his life.)

It is Yoruba Muslims who are required to downplay or hide their religious identity in the interest of an overarching Yoruba identity because, over the last few decades, Christianity has been rhetorically constituted in the popular imagination as a core constituent in the construction of Yoruba identity. That’s why prominent Yoruba Muslims almost always have to invoke their connection to Christianity to fit in.

The late Gani Fawehinmi always had a need to show that his wife was a Christian. Bola Ahmed Tinubu has a need to strategically let it be known that his wife isn’t only a Christian but a deacon. House of Representatives Speaker Olufemi Hakeem Gbajabiamila concealed his Muslim identity until he needed the support of the Muslim North to become Speaker. After the fact, his handlers played up the fact that his wife and his mother are Christians.

Prince Bola Ajibola, one of Africa’s finest jurists who happens to be a devout Muslim, doesn’t openly bear Abduljabar, his Muslim name—unlike his father who bore Abdulsalam as his first name—perhaps, not being married to a Christian, it was his only way to reassure his Christian Yoruba brothers and sisters that he is Yoruba. Yet, he is so strong in his Muslim faith that he established the Crescent University, one of Nigeria’s first private Islamic universities, in his hometown of Abeokuta.

Although Muslims constitute a numerical majority in Yoruba land, they are a symbolic minority and are perpetually put in a position to prove their “Yorubaness.” For instance, in the heat of the debate over the formation of Amotekun to ward off “Fulani bandits,” Bolaji Aluko, who was a professor here in the United States and who is now a prominent Ekiti State government official, used the moment to stealthily alienate Yoruba Muslims in his state.

In a January 25, 2021 article titled “Sunday Musings: On the Matter of Farmer-Herdsmen Clashes in Ekiti State,” he wrote, among other things, “Our Muslim Yoruba citizens must decide whether the Umma principle of brotherhood is greater that [sic] the collective security of our Yoruba citizenry." As I told him then, there are at least four ways in which he was wrong.

First, he exoticized, needlessly put Yoruba Muslims on the spot, and created a false binary between being Muslim and being Yoruba, even though (nominal) Muslims constitute the majority in Oyo, Osun, Ogun, and Lagos states. Islam has been in Yorubaland since at least the 1400s. The first mosque was built in Oyo-Ile, the ancient capital of the Oyo Empire, in 1550, that is, centuries before colonialism.

Second, Yoruba Muslims are themselves victims of the homicidal fury of Fulani brigands. If being Muslim hasn't immunized Yoruba Muslims against sanguinary clashes with Fulani people, why should they be singled out as people who are suspect, as people who might betray non-Muslim Yoruba people to the Fulani out of "the Umma principle of brotherhood," which, by the way, is nonsensical, meaningless verbiage?

Third, Aluko’s claim assumes that all Fulani brigands are Muslims (they are NOT) and that they are committing their crimes on behalf of Islam, which would predispose them spare Yoruba Muslims in the spirit of "the Umma principle of brotherhood." But nothing can be more ignorant and bigoted than that.

If "Umma principle of brotherhood" (whatever the heck that means) were a thing, Muslims in Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna, Niger, and elsewhere (who are also incidentally Fulani, Hausa, or "Hausa-Fulani"wink wouldn't be killed, kidnapped, and overawed by criminally bloodthirsty Fulani brigands. Mosques wouldn’t be invaded, and imams and worshipers kidnapped and murdered. That should tell anyone that this isn't about religion or even ethnicity.

Sadly, Yoruba Muslims have no voice and seem to have accepted their fate with listless resignation. Not being a Yoruba myself, I know I will be viciously attacked by the people who lubricate and enjoy the current hegemonic high ground that puts Yoruba Muslims at the lower end of the totem pole, but I am not one to shy away from telling the truth because of fear of attacks. I resist injustice no matter who the victims or the perpetrators are.

Anny
November 6, 2021 at 9:29 AM
Prof Kperogi, i applaud your unbiased and purely professional insightful write-ups!
Must say i read a lot of social commentaries on FB but most times. I see a group of commentators struggling to push narratives either in favour or out of favour with the govt depending on thier affiliations to the govt of Nigeria, ethnicity,party or even business interest and NEVER to set out the facts out there and let the people decide based on the info presented!
Nigeria needs just 2 more of you,may be one in europe and 1 in Asia to keep throwing out the facts out there and we will be fine!
Please continue in your stride and do not relent----those that cannot stand you are those averse to the truth !kudos

Unknown
November 6, 2021 at 11:43 AM
Well,Prof. Kperogi, there is no doubt, the problems of this country are our elites, from both divide, North and South. This reminds me of you good friend,late Professor Adesanmi(hope I remember the name correctly),who was always referring these elites, in his columns,as "the 2percenters."I always enjoyed reading his columns because of his candour, like you. But how do we challenge and defeat the 2percenters without people like you and the late Prof. Adesanmi, when illiteracy and poverty were deliberately created to be cloud our sense of reasoning? Each section of the country has its "weapon of mass dis-atraction". As for the North, we have the 'political Islamists', and the South West, we have the 'ethnic supremacist', while in the South East we have the 'secessionist,' who always cried against marginalisation.

Ade
November 6, 2021 at 1:02 PM
While I agree with your position on widespread bigotry among Yorubas, your analogy is conveniently one-sided.

The derogatory term used for Christians in the southwest is 'Kiriyo'. A typical devout Muslim family in Ibadan will literally disown their children for associating with Kiriyo, some to the point of threatening fatal consequences.

How many born again Christians get employed in schools owned by Imams? In fact you won't bother to apply because you'll already know they're not looking for 'your type'

The subject of bigotry among Yorubas have to addressed holistically because it goes many ways.

Lasly, I think it is the height of unfairness to selectively site cases of bigotry against muslims, while subtly rejoicing that a supposed bigot got what they deserved in death (it's even crazy thinking about it). Your post showed zero respect for the souls of the departed

Replies

Unknown
November 7, 2021 at 6:07 AM
With all due respect Ade, you sound to be guilty of what the Prof is saying here. Kariyo has never been used as derogatory term to describe Christians. Rather it is a common way the uneducated among us including my grand parents and probably yours too pronounce Christian. I am sure that you have heard the same people called Yoruba of Muslims faith 'Imale' and later twisted as 'Awon Elesin Lile.'

ogupla
November 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM
This is a good literary write up though he could have given it some religious societal and moral balancing.

Adetayo Hakeem
November 6, 2021 at 4:57 PM
It's a lie. Please don't bring division between us. We accept religious tolerance in this part of Nigeria

Replies

Unknown
November 7, 2021 at 6:25 AM
That is not true Mr Adetayo as you may prefer to be called. Religious tolerance has disappeared into thin air in Yoruba land. It is true that Yoruba Muslims have been gradually facing persecution and extinction in Yoruba. It is fine if you never witnessed it but is just the reality. I witnessed it too first when I went for interview at NNPC JVD on Adetokunbo Ademola. Despite all the noise about Northerners occupying everywhere. A Yoruba NNPC Coordinator, who was head of that division at that time in 1990 or 1991, and who happens to be of Ijebu decent like me but a Christian and I believe, a Deacon told me to my face that I cannot work their because every one around him were Muslims. Only to discover he reserved the position for his son who just came back from England.

Or, is it the several battles I had fight with a private school I put my children only to remove their Muslims names from my children report card after several complaints, and to be asked why did I give my children such 'satanic' name.

Moderators: OAM4J, Mynd44 over to you. Or is the article unworthy of front page since it is about the plight of those who don't share your religion?

TheSaint
November 6, 2021 at 5:14 PM
Prof I think you 'misfired' this one.
While bigotry of any nature is deplorable, I don't think what happened between late Osibona, if true, is worth the colouration of generalisation. And the premise of your argument; a few yoruba politicians unwilling to confidently bear their religious name does not emanate from fear of discrimition but political gimmickry. May the Almighty comfort the bereaved and grant eternal rest to the victims.

Sulaak
November 7, 2021 at 3:49 AM
The SW has many problems, corruption,poverty and underdevelopment, let not allow religion to be another issues in the SW. We have seen how religion has turned the North into a basketcase.

babajide
November 7, 2021 at 3:50 AM
Does it wonder any Christian what Jesus was trying to convey when he said he shall reject them that day? "many shall come to me and said lord, we have done many things in your name, and Jesus shall tell them that get ye away from me you workers of iniquity'. I had to say this with the mindset that every christian claimed to follow Jesus in act and saying, if Osibono, the owner of the ikoyi collapsed building and a representation of an average christian, then for sure, based on the above quote from Jesus, no christian will make heaven.

Share your thoughts and opinions here. I read and appreciate all comments posted here. But I implore you to be respectful and professional. Trolls will be removed and toxic comments will be deleted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 4:44pm On Nov 07, 2021
I will see if this will be moved to the front page or it will also suffer the same fate as Engineer Sikiru

2 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by TarOrfeeek: 4:55pm On Nov 07, 2021
grin

Osibanje BMC trying to deflect the Regulatory failures and ineptitude which led to the tragedy in a building he owns.

They are trying to stoke the flames of religious division.

1 Like

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by MadamExcellency: 4:58pm On Nov 07, 2021
This junk has already been debunked.

3 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by ivolt: 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2021
Kperogi should look for a better job.
There is no way he can unseat Muric as chief propagandist.

The dubious professor is trying to rile up emotions using cherry-picked stories.

To all Kperogi's supporters, can you provide anywhere in Nigeria or the world for that
matter where everybody is treated equally regardless of ethnicity, religion or familiarity?

Even government employment is filled with sentimental hiring and promotions in spite
of laws against it. Yet, Kperogi want to cast a group as permanent victims and the others as oppressors
when it cuts both ways.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
grin

Osibanje BMC trying to deflect the Regulatory failures and ineptitude which led to the tragedy in a building he owns.

If it was a case of christians being discriminated against, then it is normal but now that u are faced with hard facts about the discrimination of Yoruba Muslims, you are talking nonsense. So the embers of religious divisions are fanned only when non-Christians complain of marginalisation, right? U need help.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 5:05pm On Nov 07, 2021
ivolt:
Kperogi should look for better job.

Of all Kperogi's articles, this is the only one u find condemnable because its truth tears at ur sentimental poor soul, right? Why are some Christians so biased?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by leksite120(m): 5:16pm On Nov 07, 2021
ivolt:
You're not making any sense at all, because he spoke the truth now or because he gave an opinion different from yours means he's a propagandist.

The truth is this is very common among christians especially those that called themselves devoted christians, only if we'll turn a blind eye to it. They won't offer you anything if you're not from their church denomination talk less of being a Muslim.
Even the so called christians schools, they close on Fridays three o'clock, some 2 o'clock when they clearly know that the reason Friday is made a half-day is for the Muslims to go to mosque, the Muslims are deprived of this and they don't even care. Can anyone do this to any christian on Sundays? Even in Yoruba Muslim towns like Ilorin and co, Sundays are always empty like every other Sundays for the christians to go to church.

This isn't a bigotry, it's the truth. The meaning of bigotry should not only come from one party but called propaganda when it favors another.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by Wfaluse: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2021
You can even see it here on Nairaland; they wont push the article to the front page. The bigotry is something else. And they are very quick to point out the failings of others.
Alhamdulillah, the narrative is changing now. We now have crop of new generation of muslims -educated, empowered and well versed in their religion and who are championing the course of putting us to where we belong

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by IamWonderful: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2021
Terrorists IPOB members think it is Igbo Catholics Vs Igbo jews Vs Igbo Muslims
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by ivolt: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2021
NoSentiment:

If all Kperogi's articles, this is the only one u find condemnable
Do you know the meaning of sentiment?
If you do, then irony seems to be your strong point.
When exactly did I praise all Kperogi's article which is always filled
with conspiracy theories meant for juveniles and lazy thinkers?

BTW, what you just did is projection, you probably loved Kperogi's article and assumed everyone
is like you.

because its truth tears at ur sentimental poor soul, right?
grin grin
What is soul?
You think naming yourself "NoSentiment" automatically make you pinnacle of character?

Why are some Christians so biased?
I am not and have never been a christian.
In your world, a non-muslim or a muslim who disagrees with your persecution complex
must automatically be a christian.

You are deluded if you think you are not biased. A mere look at your post history gives
you away. I understand why Muric guy is doing it because he is working for his pay.
But what is your deal?

Before you reply.
Take your time to think and answer how you and Kperogi's rants will change anything.

What do you gain by sowing division?

3 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 07, 2021
ivolt:

Me as I dey so, I know some state where dem no rate Muslim at all even yoruba Muslim, Ekiti is one of them and maybe ondo state.

I will rather stick to my Yoruba brother than outsiders no matter what.

Yoruba > Muslim > hausa >fulani > ss>borno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no body >>>>>>igbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by Leverage2021: 5:35pm On Nov 07, 2021
leksite120:
You're not making any sense at all, because he spoke the truth now or because he gave an opinion different from yours means he's a propagandist.

The truth is this is very common among christians especially those that called themselves devoted christians, only if we'll turn a blind eye to it. They won't offer you anything if you're not from their church denomination talk less of being a Muslim.
Even the so called christians schools, they close on Fridays three o'clock, some 2 o'clock when they clearly know that the reason Friday is made a half-day is for the Muslims to go to mosque, the Muslims are deprived of this and they don't even care. Can anyone do this to any christian on Sundays? Even in Yoruba Muslim towns like Ilorin and co, Sundays are always empty like every other Sundays for the christians to go to church.

This isn't a bigotry, it's the truth. The meaning of bigotry should not only come from one party but called propaganda when it favors another.
Are you sure you are alright

Why do Muslims keep begging like almajiris, if someone has something why not build yours

Christian's build schools you say they should accommodate you

They construct roads you say they don't allow you smash head on it

They sink boreholes and give free food you say they should give you

Ok, Why don't you start going to schools on Sundays too since na Christian's you think you are helping by helping yourself

3 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by mu2sa2: 5:40pm On Nov 07, 2021
Breeze don blow fowl yansh. All the talk extolling the yoruba for their religious tolerance is bullshit.

4 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 07, 2021
If Kperogi isn't talking about how yorubas are related to fulanis he's either talking about some other stuff about Yoruba Muslims all in the name to push political division.....for a non Yoruba man it's strange. Anybody that believes this phile of garbage is simply deluded. Yoruba Muslims hold influence and power in the region..... what's funny is that it's muslims like them up north that sabotage them. Last time I checked IBB wasn't a Christian who annulled abiolas election, nor is the individuals within APC trying to sabotage tinubu. And speaking of Yoruba muslims downplaying their religion.....I don't know where that's coming from, but I as a Yoruba christain wouldn't even want that cus yoruba Muslims are the only politically conservative group we still have in Yorubaland (you hardly see them marrying igbos like some other bastard Yoruba's) and they also tend to be more politically organized, the last thing anyone wants is downplaying one's religion and becoming a liberal cvck. Nevertheless legislation should be pushed in the region that ensures religious bigots that discriminate both Muslims and christains pay the price.

7 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 07, 2021
mu2sa2:
Breeze don blow fowl yansh. All the talk extolling the yoruba for their religious tolerance is bullshit.

Not all societies are completely free from some form of bigotry.....but atleast yoruba christain and muslims aren't killing each other over religion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by ivolt: 6:03pm On Nov 07, 2021
leksite120:
Nope.
It is because he wrote a propagandist article devoid of any rational thought.
What is his aim exactly?

The truth is this is very common among christians especially those that called themselves devoted christians, only if we'll turn a blind eye to it.
Why lie?
This is the norm throughout Nigeria but you want to make it a christian affair?
States like Kano would rather import professionals from Arab countries if they can't find qualified co-religionist
rather than hand their fellow citizens the position in some departments.
Even Unilorin that is supposed to be a federal institution is run like a private firm where religion dictates your progress.

Since I am not like you guys, I need to clarify that sectarian employment cut across all religions in Nigeria regardless
of the examples I use.

They won't offer you anything if you're not from their church denomination talk less of being a Muslim.
Yeah.

Even the so called christians schools, they close on Fridays three o'clock, some 2 o'clock when they clearly know that the reason Friday is made a half-day is for the Muslims to go to mosque, the Muslims are deprived of this and they don't even care.
If you mean Christian private schools, then what are you or your kids doing there?
They reserve the right to set their opening and closing time.
Get the hell out and find a more suitable schools.

Only government schools should cater to all.

Can anyone do this to any christian on Sundays?
Do what exactly?

Even in Yoruba Muslim towns like Ilorin and co, Sundays are always empty like every other Sundays for the christians to go to church.
Do you mean there is a law banning people from working on Sundays?
You have been misled as to the origin of weekend breaks, Sunday inclusive in the modern era.
People used to work everyday until workers rights movement started challenging the norm.

The first work I got after school involved working on Sundays too and the owner of the firm is a pastor in a popular church.
But he was too smart to be clouded by religious sentiments. I am sure some people would have go online to cry persecution
if the man was of another faith.

If Fridays are that important to you, all you need to do is organize and petition your government to add Fridays as
rest day for those who wants it. Making noise and sowing division online won't change anything but cause more problems.

Who is talking about bigotry here?
Kperogi make several unsubstantiated and even false claims of one-way "oppression" when
the reality is very different. What is his aim?

In the real world people prefer those who are like them over others.

3 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by vedaxcool(m): 6:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
[s]
ivolt:
[/s]

And the absence of intellectual engagement in your post continues. Kperogi has made many slanderous statement against PMB suddenly he says what does not tickle your fancy and now you are up in arms against him. Like I said peanuts does not grant intellect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by ivolt: 6:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

And the absence of intellectual engagement in your post continues. Kperogi has made many slanderous statement against PMB suddenly he says what does not tickle your fancy and now you are up in arms against him. Like I said peanuts does not grant intellect.
When exactly did we become chat mate.

Stay very far away from my posts for your own good.
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by vedaxcool(m): 6:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
[s]
TarOrfeeek:
grin

[/s]

God is great. Kperogi coined the term BMC to ridicule people who support PMB. Today he has been branded as being a BMC working to cover up No2 of the government.
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by vedaxcool(m): 6:58pm On Nov 07, 2021
Kperogi and his perchance for foaming rubbish, decided once again to pick issues out of his depth.

Are they Yoruba who are Christian fanatics? Yes, but the good thing about Yoruba people is that the tolerant ones in the majority have prevailed against the fanatics be they Muslims or Christians. That ability to manage diversity seems to work better amongst Yorubas than any other group. His examples are just terrible like his famed inability to reason.

Why are there many people in denial like there aren't bigots who are yoruba Christians? Bishop Oyedepo treated his own blood sister like garbage because she is a Muslim. Christians created the rumour that Abiola sank a ship loaded with Bibles. There bigots who think they can achieve their aims by discrimination. But this article is bereft of an understanding of the issue.

ivolt:

When exactly did we become chat mate.

Stay very far away from my posts for your own good.

Then stay away from nairaland. But as long as your posts reflect an ingrained inability to make coherent and credulous thought, it will be pointed out.

1 Like

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by godisshit(m): 7:01pm On Nov 07, 2021
This story is complete and utter MURIC inspired nonsense from start to finish and I'm disappointed that someone of Kperogi's calibre would write something like this which reeks of resentment and harbours undertones of envy.

Yoruba Christians are exceedingly accomodating and always try to include Yoruba muslims in the economic and political development agenda of Yorubaland, even to the point of rejecting their fellow Christians from other parts of the country to align with Yoruba muslims, even though Yoruba muslims slavishly devote themselves to the Hausa Fulani Caliphate.

Go and look at Yoruba political history in Nigeria starting from Obafemi Awolowo who made Lateef Jakande his successor, to the most recent example of Frederick Fashehun and Gani Adams, it is always Yoruba Christians who reach out to Yoruba muslims.

When MKO Abiola was betrayed by his fellow Muslims from the North, it was Yoruba Christians like Alani Akinrinade, Abraham Adesanya etc who rallied around him to found NADECO while his fellow Yoruba muslims like Arisekola Alao and Lamidi Adedibu deserted him and allied themselves with Abacha.

It's quite unfortunate that the late owner of the collapsed building is not available to give his side of the story, and for that reason it is very poor form for Kperogi to make such broad submissions on the basis of one man's unsubstantiated account.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by EMAXIM(m): 7:04pm On Nov 07, 2021
I used to think Kperogi has sense but no!

I'm partially a Yoruba and I know how core Muslim families disown or try to kill converts from their family.
I can even defend this or swear anything for what I have just typed.

That's being said, we don't discriminate in my area. I have attended mosque and my Muslim friends do attend church services with me.
Some of we Christians even join in Muslim fasting.

3 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by System202: 7:09pm On Nov 07, 2021
May God Punish Yoruba Christians
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by iyapont: 7:31pm On Nov 07, 2021
System202:
May God Punish Yoruba Christians
I'm a Muslim too (PROUDLY YORUBA)but ogun kill u there

9 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 7:44pm On Nov 07, 2021
AllahIsShit:
This story is complete and utter MURIC inspired nonsense from start to finish and I'm disappointed that someone of Kperogi's calibre would write something like this which reeks of resentment and harbours undertones of envy.

Yoruba Christians are exceedingly accomodating and always try to include Yoruba muslims in the economic and political development agenda of Yorubaland, even to the point of rejecting their fellow Christians from other parts of the country to align with Yoruba muslims, even though Yoruba muslims slavishly devote themselves to the Hausa Fulani Caliphate.

Go and look at Yoruba political history in Nigeria starting from Obafemi Awolowo who made Lateef Jakande his successor, to the most recent example of Frederick Fashehun and Gani Adams, it is always Yoruba Christians who reach out to Yoruba muslims.

When MKO Abiola was betrayed by his fellow Muslims from the North, it was Yoruba Christians like Alani Akinrinade, Abraham Adesanya etc who rallied around him to found NADECO while his fellow Yoruba muslims like Arisekola Alao and Lamidi Adedibu deserted him and allied themselves with Abacha.

It's quite unfortunate that the late owner of the collapsed building is not available to give his side of the story, and for that reason it is very poor form for Kperogi to make such broad submissions on the basis of one man's unsubstantiated account.

Idiot, your name says it all. Wallahi you will never know peace in your life. Nothing that you touch will have value. May God continue to make ur life miseable, may you continue to wallow in poverty, disease and squalor that u are currently in. May joy and happinesa never know you.

1 Like

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 7:44pm On Nov 07, 2021
AllahIsShit:

Idiot, your name says it all. Wallahi you will never know peace in your life. Nothing that you touch will have value. May God continue to make ur life miseable, may you continue to wallow in poverty, disease and squalor that u are currently in. May joy and happinesa never know you, Amen.
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 7:46pm On Nov 07, 2021
iyapont:
I'm a Muslim too (PROUDLY YORUBA)but ogun kill u there

What is istinger if u are a Muslim?
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by unbitchable(m): 7:54pm On Nov 07, 2021
AllahIsShit:

May the Almighty God continue to bless you and your family abundantly.

3 Likes

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by godisshit(m): 7:54pm On Nov 07, 2021
Let's even raise the stakes. Ask your god to strike me dead in the next 7 days. If I'm still alive in 7 days time, then it will mean my username is the absolute truth! grin Let us put him to the test! Pray for him so he doesn't fail!

NoSentiment:

Idiot, your name says it all. Wallahi you will never know peace in your life. Nothing that you touch will have value. May God continue to make ur life miseable, may you continue to wallow in poverty, disease and squalor that u are currently in. May joy and happinesa never know you, Amen.

1 Like

Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by NoSentiment: 7:55pm On Nov 07, 2021
AllahIsShit:
Let's even raise the stakes. Ask your god to strike me dead in the next 7 days. If I'm still alive in 7 days time, then it will mean my username is the absolute truth! grin Let us put him to the test! Pray for him so he doesn't fail!

Ok. I will. But if u die who will bear witness to the fulfilment of the work of God.

But in the 7 days time you asked for you will have a fracture. Write this down!
Re: Farooq Kperogi: Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims by godisshit(m): 7:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
See you in 7 days time! What will my reward be for proving that my username is the truth?

NoSentiment:

Ok. I will.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soludo First Governor To Do April Fool To His Citizens / 'Tinubu Must Not Win' - Seun Osewa / If Nigeria Was To Go Back To Regional Government, Will The West Accept Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.