Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Life Lessons From The Electric Eel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Life Lessons From The Electric Eel (232 Views)

10 Life Lessons And Teachings Of Jesus That The World Needs / 5 Life Lessons To Learn From The Temptation Of Jesus Christ / My Funny Experience With a cooperate beggar and Life lessons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Life Lessons From The Electric Eel by SonofIssachar: 12:04am On Nov 10, 2021
Yesterday, as I watched the National Geographic Channel, I came to learn of the fish called The Electric Eel. For the first time, I learnt the actual name is Electrophorus electricus.

The fish is commonly found in the Amazon and generally in freshwaters. In the narration of the documentary, Electric Eels are mostly blind, although they are not born blind. To me, they are such beautiful creatures and I was wondering how come they are blind? I then read about them and came to understand that these animals have three pairs of abdominal organs that produce electricity as a form of defensive mechanism against predators. Whenever the animal is under attack, it activates an electric field of up to 860 Volts (that is nearly 4 times the 220V electricity supplied to our homes) to electrocute its attacker.

The Eel also requires rising to the surface of the water every 10 minutes in order to take in Oxygen before going back under the water. Due to this routine, the fish has developed a mindset that it is vulnerable to attack due to constant coming up to breathe; hence, it is always in a ‘suspicion mode’ – It is always and constantly electrocuting its environment even when it is not under attack. The sad effect is that in the course of continuously electrocuting its environment, its eyes are also electrocuted; hence, its blindness!

But then, as I watched this animal swimming around blind and only using its sense of feel and ears, and being unable to see, it becomes more suspicious and every movement it feels in the waters, it releases further electric shock, thus worsening its own plight. The animal thus goes into a cyclic paranoia and self-infliction of pain that causes it to be further blind beyond remedy.

You see, such is the situation in some people’s life. They suspect everybody and everything! They always have a mindset that ‘someone is undoing me’, ‘something evil is going to happen to me’, ‘someone is planning to harm me’, etc. By having this kind of mental picture, such people release shock waves that electrocute whoever comes near them. Friends, who mean well, are branded enemies; parents are considered evil; siblings are suspected of hatching evil plots; colleagues at work are branded enemies, etc.

When people go into such self-destructive mode, all they think about is themselves and not the feelings of others. The desire to protect oneself ends up in hurting others. Let us all strive to cultivate a positive attitude of love and treat each other in a brotherly manner.

Think and reflect on these things.

by Kwasi Agyenim Boateng

Meditation: Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. – Romans 13:10

You will succeed because Jesus loves You!

Also read:

Checking In
Watch Your Attitude
Develop The Right (self) Attitude

1 Like

Re: Life Lessons From The Electric Eel by AntiChristian: 3:04am On Nov 10, 2021
Hmmm

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Happy Last Month Of The YEAR (2021). / Judge Sentence A 15years Old Boy / Why Are Africans So Religious?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.