Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,437 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections (1098 Views)

Governorship Elections 2019: Live Updates And Monitoring Across All The States / No National, Governorship Elections Will Hold In Rivers – APC Candidates Vow / Governorship Elections Under President Buhari So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 6:38pm On Nov 10, 2021
Good day, fellow nairalanders!

We have all witnessed the just concluded Anambra State governorship elections, in which Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), candidate was declared winner with a total vote casts of 112,229. In second position was PDP's Valentine Ozigbo, who polled 53,807 votes. Surprisingly in third position, we have APC's Andy Uba with a total vote of 43,285. And in fourth place was YPP's Ifeanyi Uba, with a total vote of 21,261.

In all of the results which I came across - both online and in the media - didn't see anywhere votes were cast for Dr Godwin Maduka, the candidate of the Accord Party. Now, what baffles me is that, during the buildup to the elections, one could put a gamble that Dr Maduka would be a real contender and a possible winner in the elections, going by his status as a technocrat, his philanthropic projects, and most importantly, his online popularity. Infact, I could boldly say he appeared to be the candidate who posed more threat to Soludo from realising his governorship dreams than any of the other candidate.

What the election has therefore taught me is that:

- PDP and APC are parties which are still a force to reckon with in Nigeria.

- A good candidate without the right political platform cannot make a headway.

- Prof. Soludo won the elections not because he was the most loved, or that he came across to be the best man for the job to most people, but because APGA is the traditional party in the State.

I will therefore encourage those who may be nursing any political ambition to make use of the right political platform to contest future elections. If Maduka had been the flagbearer of PDP or APC, I'm sure the outcome of the elections would not have been what it turned out to be.
Thanks for reading and God bless you all!

Cc mynd44, lalastclala

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by 1beat(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2021
You try with your write up ..
Issue of vote buying by all the political party is what I want to read

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by OBUKOMENA: 8:22pm On Nov 10, 2021
1beat:
The op tried. He made some valid points. The issue of vote buying before and during elections is nothing new to learn about.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 9:51pm On Nov 10, 2021
1beat:
I wasn't there live to give a report of that . So, I wouldn't want to report what I didn't know.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 9:52pm On Nov 10, 2021
OBUKOMENA:
The op tried. He made some valid points. The issue of vote buying before and during elections is nothing new to learn about.
Thanks for helping me out with the response.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by helinues: 10:20pm On Nov 10, 2021
Prof. Soludo won the elections not because he was the most loved, or that he came across to be the best man for the job to most people, but because APGA is the traditional party in the State.

That's just it even though he may look credible than others

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by BluntCrazeMan: 5:08am On Nov 11, 2021
Hemanwel:

We have all witnessed the just concluded Anambra State governorship elections, in which Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), candidate was declared winner with a total vote casts of 112,229. In second position was PDP's Valentine Ozigbo, who polled 53,807 votes. Surprisingly in third position, we have APC's Andy Uba with a total vote of 43,285. And in fourth place was YPP's Ifeanyi Uba, with a total vote of 21,261.

In all of the results which I came across - both online and in the media - didn't see anywhere votes were cast for Dr Godwin Maduka, the candidate of the Accord Party. Now, what baffles me is that, during the buildup to the elections, one could put a gamble that Dr Maduka would be a real contender and a possible winner in the elections, going by his status as a technocrat, his philanthropic projects, and most importantly, his online popularity. Infact, I could boldly say he appeared to be the candidate who posed more threat to Soludo from realising his governorship dreams than any of the other candidate.

- Prof. Soludo won the elections not because he was the most loved, or that he came across to be the best man for the job to most people, but because APGA is the traditional party in the State.

I will therefore encourage those who may be nursing any political ambition to make use of the right political platform to contest future elections. If Maduka had been the flagbearer of PDP or APC, I'm sure the outcome of the elections would not have been what it turned out to be.
Thanks for reading and God bless y'all!

Cc mynd44, lalastclala
(@Bolded)
I am on a lone quest. I am on a fierce battle.
I am seriously fighting to correct this particular narrative in Nigeria.
I want to establish a mindset in the people of this country where the individual wins the heart of the people, and not the party (or politcal platform).
I will win this battle.
So Help Me God.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by BluntCrazeMan: 5:10am On Nov 11, 2021
Lalasticlala,
Seun
Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by BluntCrazeMan: 5:10am On Nov 11, 2021
Mynd44
Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by ariesbull: 5:44am On Nov 11, 2021
Hemanwel:

Cc mynd44, lalastclala

Ndi Anambra, in pursuit of excellence, we placed merit above narrow interests. We choose a candidate whose pedigree announces itself. Prof Chukwuma Soludo has a name to protect. I have no doubt that he will not let you down. However, on a personal level, Ndi Anambra, you have made me proud. You have shown the world that when a determined people come together as one in pursuit of what is right and just, they bend the arc of justice in their favour.

https://techandbiz.com.ng/2021/11/11/this-victory-belongs-to-the-ebenebe-woman-who-turned-down-n5000-offer-for-her-vote-obiano/

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 1:24pm On Nov 11, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
(@Bolded)
I am on a lone quest. I am on a fierce battle.
I am seriously fighting to correct this particular narrative in Nigeria.
I want to establish a mindset in the people of this country where the individual wins the heart of the people, and not the party (or politcal platform).
I will win this battle.
So Help Me God.
It's going to be a herculean task, bro! Look around you, we are now more divided on party lines. I wish you the best, though!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 1:28pm On Nov 11, 2021
ariesbull:

Ndi Anambra, in pursuit of excellence, we placed merit above narrow interests. We choose a candidate whose pedigree announces itself. Prof Chukwuma Soludo has a name to protect. I have no doubt that he will not let you down. However, on a personal level, Ndi Anambra, you have made me proud. You have shown the world that when a determined people come together as one in pursuit of what is right and just, they bend the arc of justice in their favour.

https://techandbiz.com.ng/2021/11/11/this-victory-belongs-to-the-ebenebe-woman-who-turned-down-n5000-offer-for-her-vote-obiano/
Hmmm. This is for the wise and discerning. But, I still don't think Soludo would have won if he had contested under Accord or Labour Party
Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by dignity33: 1:32pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hemanwel:

Cc mynd44, lalastclala
In Nigeria most of the people who vote during the election are members of political party. That's why it's impossible to defeat any party in power, until members of public who are not affiliated with any political parties start voting, Nigeria will always have it wrongly especially in presidential election.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by BluntCrazeMan: 1:39pm On Nov 11, 2021
dignity33:
In Nigeria most of the people who vote during the election are members of political party. That's why it's impossible to defeat any party in power, until members of public who are not affiliated with any political parties start voting, Nigeria will always have it wrongly especially in presidential election.
You Garrit.
10% turnout......
The rest of the 90% are the real members of the public who doesn't care any longer.
How can the rest of the voters be made to have the burning zeal and the will-power to come out and vote?
Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 1:43pm On Nov 11, 2021
dignity33:
You are very correct. And you know the funniest part? Those who do not belong to any political party and who didn't vote will wail more when things begin to turn south in the new dispensation.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 1:45pm On Nov 11, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
You Garrit.
10% turnout......
The rest of the 90% are the real members of the public who doesn't care any longer.
How can the rest of the voters be made to have the burning zeal and the will-power to come out and vote?
Public enlightenment, I would say; which also includes voter education. And then, coupled with adequate security.
Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by gidgiddy: 1:47pm On Nov 11, 2021
This is not the first time Soludo ran for Anambra Governor. He ran before under PDP and failed woefully.

Had Soludo not run under APGA, he would never have won

5 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 1:57pm On Nov 11, 2021
gidgiddy:
This is not the first time Soludo ran for Anambra Governor. He ran before under PDP and failed woefully.

Had Soludo not run under APGA, he would never have won
When we want to look at the most qualified candidate for the elections, I still give it to Soludo. No doubt!
Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by chiefobdk2: 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hemanwel:

Cc mynd44, lalastclala

Soludo is the most loved candidate... And most known candidate in Anambra politics due to his time wit CBN

Ozigbo nobody know him before dis year....

Maduka is not well known in the state is more known online than offline..

Andy Ubah was never a choice...

Ifeanyi Ubah will never be governor of Anambra state

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2021
chiefobdk2:

Soludo is the most loved candidate... And most known candidate in Anambra politics due to his time wit CBN

Ozigbo nobody know him before dis year....

Maduka is not well known in the state is more known online than offline..

Andy Ubah was never a choice...

Ifeanyi Ubah will never be governor of Anambra state.
There we go again! What if he joins APGA in eight years time and he gets to be the candidate of the party? Only God knows tomorrow, brother!

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From Anambra State Governorship Elections by Hemanwel(m): 12:44pm On Nov 12, 2021
Don't know why this thread is not yet on front page. Mynd44 and co, where art thou?

(1) (Reply)

Umahi's Son Graduates From University Of Aberdeen / Video Of Abba Kyari In A Nightclub Dancing "Dorime" With Big Boys / Igbo, South East A Mistake..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.