Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,978 members, 7,821,417 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything (1691 Views)

Nigeria Economy Rated Best In Africa By Forbes-see Link / Peter Obi: Nigeria’s Economy On Life Support Over N22.7trn Debt / "This Is Nigeria": Femi Falana Blasts MURIC For Threatening To Sue Falz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 9:47am On Nov 14, 2021
I had never seen a country like Nigeria, a country where the majority of the population is wishing the country bad every passing minute, you can't blame the citizenry anyway, things are really awful.

I find it surprising that despite everything, Nigeria is generally doing good as far as the world is the concern, although truthfully this big economic fortune does not reflect on the lives of the common Nigerian.

Nigeria is among the top 30 biggest economy in the world and the biggest economy in the African continent, despite that we don't have numerous advantages of the other African giants like South Africa, Egypt, Algeria and Ethiopia, I find it quite hard how Nigeria manages to edge those.

Being the 25th biggest economy in the world and the first in Africa is no small feet especially for a country like Nigeria where corruption, insecurity and mismanagement of resources is the order of the day.

I honestly don't know how we are doing it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AAA593: 9:51am On Nov 14, 2021
AlexBells:
I had never seen a country like Nigeria, a country where the majority of the population is wishing the country bad every passing minute, you can't blame the citizenry anyway, things are really awful.

I find it surprising that despite everything, Nigeria is generally doing good as far as the world is the concern, although truthfully this big economic fortune does not reflect on the lives of the common Nigerian.

Nigeria is among the top 30 biggest economy in the world and the biggest economy in the African continent, despite that we don't have numerous advantages of the other African giants like South Africa, Egypt, Algeria and Ethiopia, I find it quite hard how Nigeria manages to edge those.

Being the 25th biggest economy in the world and the first in Africa is no small feet especially for a country like Nigeria where corruption, insecurity and mismanagement of resources is the order of the day.

Thunder where are you?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by mrvitalis(m): 9:54am On Nov 14, 2021
AlexBells:

We are among the biggest economy because it's based on our fake population

Nigeria population is no way pass 100 million at most

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by izombie(m): 9:55am On Nov 14, 2021
Forget the lies. Nigeria is very very very baaaaaad!!!.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Idafire: 10:50am On Nov 14, 2021
OP, you again.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 10:55am On Nov 14, 2021
Idafire:
OP, you again.
What did I do wrong this time ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Usonkwu: 11:02am On Nov 14, 2021

We? If u don't mind, what's ur stake? Lastest report says over 90% of Nigerians can't afford half a million.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 11:15am On Nov 14, 2021
Usonkwu:

We? If u don't mind, what's ur stake? Lastest report says over 90% of Nigerians can't afford half a million.
Could be we are scamming the whole world, we seem to be learning fast from our big bro (China) I'm not surprised
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Tianamen1: 11:51am On Nov 14, 2021
Alexbells. Nominal GDP doesn't show standard of living (wealth vs poverty). To understand if Nigeria is rich or poor, you need to compare countries by either real GDP per capita or by (ppp) GDP per capita.

These two measures are not even perfect as they do not reflect income inequality, so looking at the Human development rankings and also percentage of poor versus rich is also good.

The only nominal gpd value that makes sense is the GDP growth rate as this shows whether a country is growing faster.

Happy Sunday
https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 11:56am On Nov 14, 2021
Tianamen1:
Alexbells. Nominal GDP doesn't show standard of living (wealth vs poverty). To understand if Nigeria is rich or poor, you need to compare countries by either real GDP per capita or by (ppp) GDP per capita.

These two measures are not even perfect as they do not reflect income inequality, so looking at the Human development rankings and also percentage of poor versus rich is also good.

The only nominal gpd value that makes sense is the GDP growth rate as this shows whether a country is growing faster.

Happy Sunday
https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

Is it not better that we feel good with the report, cause you will just start a fight with all these details, one thing I have realised about us, we are always looking for where things is terrible for our country, if we scale the GDP stuff down to Nigerian state you will realise arguments on GDP and then per capita income, even VAT, so once it is we against the world we find a way to mess up our country's reputation and by far this reputation mess impact the common man most
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2021
mrvitalis:

Which kin Mumu talk be this sef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
Usonkwu:

You don't know what you're talking about

What do you mean by "over 90% of Nigerians can't afford half a million"?
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by sinkhole: 12:28pm On Nov 14, 2021
AlexBells:

Please, what do you mean by the bolded?
Nigeria have oil and gas in abundance, plenty of solid minerals, large expanse of arable land, a very large youthful population, etc! What exactly are those other countries have that we do not have?
I think the only problem we have is that God willingly blessed us with stupendously selfish human beings that usually grow up to be moronic and senile elders embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2021
sinkhole:
Please, what do you mean by the bolded?
Nigeria have oil and gas in abundance, plenty of solid minerals, large expanse of arable land, a very large youthful population, etc! What exactly are those other countries have that we do not have?
I think the only problem we have is that God willingly blessed us with stupendously selfish human beings that usually grow up to be moronic and senile elders embarassed
For instance Egypt have numerous advantage, near uninterrupted civilisation, South Africa their was perfect transition from colonialisation to present day, the white never really left, Algeria very closer to Europe and the rest and they have racial advantage, Ethiopia not really ever colonised yet there was this proximity to italy which endured through the present day.

Note resources don't always build a civilisation rather it is capacity and knowhow that does
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by mightyhaze: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2021
Remittances from good brains in diaspora..

Imagine sb sending 10k euros down to family this period. Know what that means?

Individual efforts of progressive minded ppl determined to make it in life too
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by babasolution: 2:03pm On Nov 14, 2021
AlexBells:

For instance Egypt have numerous advantage, near uninterrupted civilisation, South Africa their was perfect transition from colonialisation to present day, the white never really left, Algeria very closer to Europe and the rest and they have racial advantage, Ethiopia not really ever colonised yet there was this proximity to italy which endured through the present day.

Note resources don't always build a civilisation rather it is capacity and knowhow that does

You don't know what u wrote.Nigerians sha can be so dumb

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2021
Nigerias’ economy is not ‘so good’! That being said, what has helped keep the country from imploding, like we see in other countries that go through similar economic challenges, is that the Nigerian economy ab-initio does very little for the average Nigerian or common man in the street....it’s always been every man for himself, right from say the 80s! The proceeds from oyel and gas are largely squandered by and for the benefit of the upper-middle and upper classes! If the gov’t ceases to exist tomorrow, life will still go on in one form or the other!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by ENG0701: 2:15pm On Nov 14, 2021
GDP is not everything. GDP per capital is more important. Nigeria has a higher gdp than Norway, but no way you will say that Nugeria is better than Norway. Our GDP per capital is less than $4000, one of the lowest in the world

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:51pm On Nov 14, 2021
ENG0701:
GDP is not everything. GDP per capital is more important. Nigeria has a higher gdp than Norway, but no way you will say that Nugeria is better than Norway. Our GDP per capital is less than $4000, one of the lowest in the world

Exactly!
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by dasparrow: 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2021
ENG0701:

Correct!
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by sinkhole: 2:58pm On Nov 14, 2021
AlexBells:

I think I can understand you now, but all-in-all, what matters most is the people. I think in Nigeria, there is no sense of nationalism, because in the past, each individual nations of Nigeria were great, in their own rights and the citizens felt these sense of national pride and belonginess!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Usonkwu: 7:12am On Nov 15, 2021
AlexBells:

Could be we are scamming the whole world, we seem to be learning fast from our big bro (China) I'm not surprised

Nah. Why shut ur eyes tight in daylight? I'm no economist but i don't need to be one to know what is here is false equivalence. Unlike comparable countries, most of Nigeria's wealth is OUTSIDE the country. Whenever there is serious economic tumble, oversea remmittances come in to create false bouyancy. Hence, Nigeria's economy can neither grow exponentially nor crash horribly.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Usonkwu: 7:28am On Nov 15, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
You don't know what you're talking about

What do you mean by "over 90% of Nigerians can't afford half a million"?

There is a Vanguard news report to this effect(26th October).
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by ba7man(m): 7:44am On Nov 15, 2021
This is why i hate hanging around hopeless pessimists and people with affinity to poverty.

All they see is negativity and work extra hard at spreading their depression and negative outlook to life.

Just look at the usual suspects up there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by teeytimi: 8:38am On Nov 15, 2021
When an economically poor person speaks, you can't help but notice. How can anyone compare the size of the economy without comparing the population.

Its like saying papa bashiru who has a 60k income pre month with a family size of 20 is richer than papa bola with an income of 40k per month with a family size of 8. Simple arithmetic.

Check the per capita income then you will realize Nigeria is doing really bad

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 8:54am On Nov 15, 2021
teeytimi:
When an economically poor person speaks, you can't help but notice. How can anyone compare the size of the economy without comparing the population.

Its like saying papa bashiru who has a 60k income pre month with a family size of 20 is richer than papa bola with an income of 40k per month with a family size of 8. Simple arithmetic.

Check the per capita income then you will realize Nigeria is doing really bad
Depending on how you look at it, if Papa Bashiru as you said it has 60K and twenty children but Papa Bola has 40K and 8 children Papa Bashiro is still richer, because he can as well refuse to take care of his twenty children or at most take care of his favourite, it is not his business if the rest live or die, it is called wickedness but it is never said that the wicked can't be rich that's what is happening in Nigeria
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by rexwalters: 9:02am On Nov 15, 2021
mrvitalis:

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by Usonkwu: 10:17am On Nov 15, 2021
AlexBells:

Depending on how you look at it, if Papa Bashiru as you said it has 60K and twenty children but Papa Bola has 40K and 8 children Papa Bashiro is still richer, because he can as well refuse to take care of his twenty children or at most take care of his favourite, it is not his business if the rest live or die, it is called wickedness but it is never said that the wicked can't be rich that's what is happening in Nigeria

Well, you may be wrong, it may not be deliberate. What if it's plain stupidity. People have shouted themselves hoarse about fostering harmonial working relationship amongst ethnic groups. Now, a caste system is not an impossibility if downward economic trajectory continues.
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by mrvitalis(m): 10:31am On Nov 15, 2021
rexwalters:
That's what you get when merit ,equity and justice is relegated

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 10:43am On Nov 15, 2021
Usonkwu:

Well, you may be wrong, it may not be deliberate. What if it's plain stupidity. People have shouted themselves hoarse about fostering harmonial working relationship amongst ethnic groups. Now, a caste system is not an impossibility if downward economic trajectory continues.
The fact is that the federal system is great but the people of Nigeria had lost focus especially in the tribal leadership, Benin still have the Oba and laziness is the issue here, Benin city wasn't built with crude oil some centuries back, everything by which Benin was built except for its army is still with her, why can't a great city build today, the problem Nigeria is not quite about favoritism the problem is entitlement but this is a bit of digression, my reply earlier had nothing sort of ethnic intention it is just the real situation making you judge from a particular direction
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by teeytimi: 7:11pm On Nov 15, 2021
AlexBells:

we are not talking about the individual here, what we are saying is the entire family
Re: Why Is Nigeria's Economy So Good Despite Everything by AlexBells(m): 7:13pm On Nov 15, 2021
teeytimi:
we are not talking about the individual here, what we are saying is the entire family
It still same thing, what if like 3 members of the family had hijacked everything,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Lawmaker 'Decamps' Back To PDP 43 Days After Joining APC / Ijaw Elders Plead With IPOB To Bring ESN To Ogunbos After Incessant Attacks / Who Killed Funso William?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.