Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,899 members, 7,828,166 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way (30060 Views)

Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary / Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by solidmyk(m): 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2021
I've never seen myself working for someone else, I'm just too greedy that I'll feel I'm being used or cheated on

4 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kreamie(m): 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2021
Gbayii.

In civil service, eye service is a must.
Kajaard:

I hate eye service. Every where I have worked I abhor eye service and avoid people that do. Most colleagues might not like me for this but the company can never get rid of me because I am the absolute best in what I do cool
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by redcliff: 3:25pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear
There are myriads of jobs where you can't add any other tangible value than what you are employed to do. Imagine telling a bank teller to add value.
Also, most Nigerian jobs differ little from slavery. You're being paid 50k in today's economy and work 7 to 7. Which other value you wan add?

7 to 7. damn!!!!

4 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by madjune(m): 3:25pm On Nov 18, 2021
I pity Nigerian white collar job youths in today's Lagos and Abuja axis.
No employer will reward you enough to lift you out of poverty.
You'd barely be scrapping by, year after year till you grow old.
Try save some, invest or start something for yourself.

That's just the truth.

9 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by TheGift: 3:27pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

You're being deceived, believe me.
Company will keep you because of your perceived worth and not just what you give to the company perse.
Think deeper

If your boss is using motivational word to whine your head, better wake up. While you try to give your best you must never get caught up that you will only remain relevant base on worth and your skill level. People kill themselves day and night in the road of extra miles.
Today no one ever heard what they did.

Omo no go dull o

Your adding value to the company (or not) is what mostly determines your “perceived worth”… Except you are not adding value in a way that can be perceived.

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2021
Spot on.

Be valuable. Be ready to go the extra mile in any endeavor. It might not pay immediately but in the long run one is always better for it. angry

4 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2021
TheGift:

Your adding value to the company (or not) is what mostly determines your “perceived worth”… Except you are not adding value in a way that can be perceived.
You said, "go extra miles".
check that up and see what that means.
it is like you don't understand what you typed.

Going extra miles to improve yourself is not a problem whether through the company or not it doesn't matter.
But going extra miles because to improve a company is a different bowl of soup entirely. This small differences makes the difference between what me and you are talking about. look similar but it is all the difference between self improvement and regrets

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Arkmanbuddy(m): 3:31pm On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:
What no employer will tell you:

1. You're never going to be wealthy just by working, it is best to have something outside of work that makes money for you(Shares, investments etc).
2. Even if you dedicate 20-40 years of your life to the company, the day you retire or resign, the company moves on like nothing happened.
3. You're only as valuable as your boss, once your boss hates you forget am! if he/she loves you then pray your boss never leaves the company grin grin

Lovely comment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by drealcivilceno(m): 3:31pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

You're being deceived, believe me.
Company will keep you because of your perceived worth and not just what you give to the company perse. Infact if you ask me which is better,
I would say you first work on your worth and let your service value flow flawlessly without you breaking a sweat. The reverse will only end you up in tears.

Think deeper

If your boss is using motivational word to whine your head, better wake up. While you try to give your best you must never get caught up that you will only remain relevant base on worth and your skill level. People kill themselves day and night in the road of extra miles.
Today no one ever heard what they did.

Omo no go dull o

The only time I will go extra mile in a company is if it increase my skill and worth. but say because of say make boss dey feel me. Dem go old.
But I promise to do my task which I signed for.

Omo no matter how bad/good you are, if company wants to keep you, they will keep you!

Most of them just have money to spend and will bask in that glory until they crash, so, keep floating ooh!

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:32pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ninejaywon:
Spot on.

Be valuable. Be ready to go the extra mile in any endeavor. It might not pay immediately but in the long run one is always better for it. angry
"extra mile in any endeavor"
Omo people dey suffer this country o. slavery 101

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear
There are myriads of jobs where you can't add any other tangible value than what you are employed to do. Imagine telling a bank teller to add value.
Also, most Nigerian jobs differ little from slavery. You're being paid 50k in today's economy and work 7 to 7. Which other value you wan add?

You get it wrong. The bank teller example u gave, he/she can go an extra mile by placating distressed customers,even sell and market the bank brands to draw more customers. It is all about adding vaue.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:33pm On Nov 18, 2021
drealcivilceno:

Omo no matter how bad/good you are, if company wants to keep you, they will keep you!

Most of them just have money to spend and will bask in that glory until they crash, so, keep floating ooh!
God knows I will never be in a position where I will ever be afraid to leave a company. My self worth is growing in a way that company may feel a loss when I leave.

I will never give company that chance. never!!

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by smacky619(m): 3:36pm On Nov 18, 2021
Nairalanders can talk anyhow
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

"extra mile in any endeavor"
Omo people dey suffer this country o. slavery 101

The one thing with this generation is lack of patience and the love for instant gratification. Very few people are playing the long game. Most people want to hammer now now. Going the extra mile has taken me to dope places unimaginable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ninejaywon:

The one thing with this generation is lack of patience and the love for instant gratification. Very few people are playing the long game. Most people want to hammer now now. Going the extra mile has taken me to dope places unimaginable.
just say you went extra miles to improve yourself, which is a wonderful thing.

But going Extra miles solely because of future promises of any man/company is a recipe for a future filled with premium tears and regrets

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by TheGift: 3:43pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

You said, "go extra miles".
check that up and see what that means.
it is like you don't understand what you typed.

Going extra miles to improve yourself is not a problem whether through the company or not it doesn't matter.
But going extra miles because to improve a company is a different bowl of soup entirely. This small differences makes the difference between what me and you are talking about. look similar but it is all the difference between self improvement and regrets

First of all, I am not the one who typed the original post.

However, to your points: it is more likely that you the reader did not understand what writer was trying to say.

The use of the phrase “ going the extra mile” was in the context of “adding value” beyond your “job description”. Doing just what is expected of one is ordinary, doing extra by adding value is what makes one extra-ordinary.

I hope you now get the point of the original post .

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by HRSweetness(f): 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
You add practical value by making sure you're supplying work or ideas capable of:

1. saving your company money
2. making your company money
3. helping your company to make an impact
4. giving your company any form of competitive edge
5. giving your company a good name

In addition to all of these, you must master the art of ass kissing. Know the right asses to kiss and do a damn good job of kissing it well in a less conspicuous manner. cool

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Klass99(f): 3:46pm On Nov 18, 2021

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 18, 2021
Value ko, value-added tax ni.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Shaev7(m): 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
You add practical value by making sure you're supplying work or ideas capable of:

1. saving your company money
2. making your company money
3. helping your company to make an impact
4. giving your company any form of competitive edge
5. giving your company a good name
Well pointed out.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by ezewealth(m): 3:52pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:
In other words, lick ass/es the best you can. It’ll get you far. undecided
That is why I always hated by my superiors d tym I dey for White collar job. I did just lick ass, some bosses want to be worshipped, since I am not cut out for DAT. They keep giving me hard time. Until I quit n start my own biz

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:53pm On Nov 18, 2021
TheGift:

First of all, I am not the one who typed the original post.

However, to your points: it is more likely that you the reader did not understand what writer was trying to say.

The use of the phrase “ going the extra mile” was in the context of “adding value” beyond your “job description”. Doing just what is expected of one is ordinary, doing extra by adding value is what makes one extra-ordinary.

I hope you now get the point of the original post .
I get the point and I totally disagree still.
Extra-ordinary people are not people that goes the extra mile grin grin grin grin.

Extra ordinary people are people who do extra ordinary things.
Some people has already master what you look hard and to you they are extra-ordinary
extra-ordinary does not have to always end up with going extra miles.
In workplace, extra miles mean doing work wey dem nor go pay you wink wink
Try to understand me please, even if for a moment

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2021
Klass99:

If you see as I bust laff for where I dey ehn! grin
The bolded cracked me up real good, I feel you and I share the same sentiments expressed in the words I quoted.

Na so o no time. Life is sweet when it is combined interest
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by RuddyFusion(m): 3:56pm On Nov 18, 2021
Good points but not just in any environment. If it's a growing / supportive environment then yes ..
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Timekeeper: 3:58pm On Nov 18, 2021
bouncin04:
You can even kill yourself

Awon eye service shocked shocked shocked , na all these kyn fellows dey make employers dey feel say 50k wey dem dey pay you too much . Awon ass lickers. This behavior is acustomed to a particular tribe, but I won't mention.

Yes, ur mummy tribe.

I get
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Eze2000(m): 3:59pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:
In other words, lick ass/es the best you can. It’ll get you far. undecided

Actually no.

As an employer of Labour myself lemme break it down for you.

Don't lick my ass or patronize me.

Treat my company like you would yours.... work to bring in more money, save money and everything better.

I'll fire my special assistant today. He is the second in 6 months.the first one got married and had to become a house Wife. She was the best.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by dalass(f): 4:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
Just be willing to go the extra mile for the betterment of your working place...

Doing just enough or barely enough is inimical to the progress of the company

3 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Benprass(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
bouncin04:
You can even kill yourself

Awon eye service shocked shocked shocked , na all these kyn fellows dey make employers dey feel say 50k wey dem dey pay you too much . Awon ass lickers. This behavior is acustomed to a particular tribe, but I won't mention.

Are you talking about the YORUBAS LOL.

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
matm:
Creativity is the watch word.Doing the same thing every other person does no matter how well, doesn't make you extra ordinary.But they who defy the ordinary,sit with kings and queens said our fathers.
you're mincing words between your teeths.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 4:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
madjune:
I pity Nigerian white collar job youths in today's Lagos and Abuja axis.
No employer will reward you enough to lift you out of poverty.
You'd barely be scrapping by, year after year till you grow old.
Try save some, invest or start something for yourself.

That's just the truth.
you too much jare!!
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 4:06pm On Nov 18, 2021
Eze2000:

Actually no.

As an employer of Labour myself lemme break it down for you.

Don't lick my ass or patronize me.

Treat my company like you would yours.... work to bring in more money, save money and everything better.

I'll fire my special assistant today. He is the second in 6 months.the first one got married and had to become a house Wife. She was the best.
you're talking through your teeth.
"Treat my company like you would yours"

Why not make your employee share holders ini your company.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by lonelydora: 4:07pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

Add value; practical value for that matter!
I learnt this the hard way too. In my new organization, I strive to make impacts and whenever I do, I blow my trumpet for every manager to hear.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-Power: 10 Tips You Need / Halliburton / How I've Been Coping With This Unemployment After Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.