Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

The Proposition (15+) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Proposition (15+) (25161 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Jsaviour(f): 8:46pm On Jan 01, 2022
Nice story. Update is short and takes time too. Let's know when to expect
Re: The Proposition (15+) by safarigirl(f): 12:02am On Jan 02, 2022
I was supposed to drop an update tonight, but I somehow lost everything I had typed and will have to re-type it.

So, update tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay.

1 Like

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Oluwatimi2000(m): 12:29am On Jan 02, 2022
safarigirl:
I was supposed to drop an update tonight, but I somehow lost everything I had typed and will have to re-type it.

So, update tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay.

The tomoro is today right ?
Loving this story can’t wait wait
Re: The Proposition (15+) by yungbanks(m): 10:36am On Jan 02, 2022
Omo am glued here I can't go an hour without checking out for update , ma'am u just made me comment more and more I used to be a ghost reader
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Jsaviour(f): 11:05am On Jan 02, 2022
safarigirl:

So, update tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay.

I think google docs voice typing can help reduce the stress that's if you aren't using that already.

I send you more strength so you can give us 2 updates today smiley
Re: The Proposition (15+) by safarigirl(f): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2022
***Update****

She didn't care

She shouldn't care.

It was sincerely none of her business and he had brought it upon himself anyway…yet, Adunni couldn't stop thinking about the call and multiple messages Veronica had left her.

Why wasn't he eating? What did he think? That he could starve his way back into her life? He weighed at least 70KG, what was the rationale behind eating sparingly? Was he trying to come down with an ulcer?

She recalled the conversation she had had with Veronica two days ago. She had called late into the night, her voice almost as a whisper, as she pleaded with her to forgive her brother. She had told her not to involve herself in grown adults business, but Veronica insisted it had become her business.

Funny how it was Veronica who reached out to her.

She hadn't heard from Patrick in two weeks, almost like he was ashamed to reach out to her. For the first four days, it hadn't bothered her because she was rightly pissed off and she most likely wouldn't have picked his call anyway, but since then, it felt like self-inflicted torture being away from him. She hated how much he had left an imprint in her life and every corner of her house despite the fact he had only been in it once.

She hated that her sheets smelt like him, and she couldn't bring herself to even wash it, because she wanted to keep inhaling his addictive scent. She hated that she panicked because it was fading. She hated that he had this hold on her and she wished there was some way to exorcise everything about him from her mind.

What had Patrick Umeh done to her?

"...Adunni!"

She jumped, startled by the sharpness of the voice in the same room with her. It took her a beat before she realised Chika was standing across her desk, staring at her with worry.

"Where did you disappear to again?" Her friend asked.

She shook her head, to clear it of thoughts of the one man that plagued her so, "Nowhere...uhm…" she racked her brain for a reason Chika could be here. She knew she had asked her to help with some documents, but she couldn't quite recall on what, "...the Raji file, is that it?"

Chika shook her head, "No, this is the Eden Pharmaceuticals file Adunni, do you even remember why you wanted it?"

Adunnni opened her mouth to respond, and then realised she couldn't quite remember what she wanted the file for.

Chika groaned, clearly exasperated by the situation. She pulled out the chair in front of her, and lowered herself into the seat, "Okay, let's hear it. What's going on with you?"

"Chika, there's nothing going on with me."

Chika stared at her, silent. Her gaze was so intense, Adunni had to adjust herself in her seat.

"Chika…" she began, when her friend wouldn't say anything.

"I'm calling your mother"

Adunni's eyes widened in surprise, "No! What the hell, Chika, you know I'm not talking to her."

"You don't have to talk to her, but you have to talk to someone else or you're going to start losing cases you haven't lost since you started your practice." She replied firmly, as she picked up her phone and began scrolling through it.

Adunni stared at her, wide-eyed and slightly confused. Whatever Chika had in mind, Adunni was sure it would not appeal to her.

"There's no one else for me to talk to, and I said I was fine." She responded, as if trying to convince herself of the truth in both sentences.

Chika wasn't buying it.

She gave her a side eye and got to her feet, turning her back to her as she walked out of the office.

Adunni sighed in exasperation. She nibbled at her bottom lip, slightly concerned by who Chika planned to call, but somewhere in her head, she rationalised Chika's actions. Yes, she had been a little out of it for some days now despite saying she was fine to get back to work, she wasn't sure it called for an intervention of any kind though. Perhaps, what she really needed was some time off…just not in her house. No, her house reminded her too much of him.

Perhaps, somewhere outside of Abuja…

Chika came back into the office, "I've made…"

"I'm traveling." She blurted out before Chika could finish.

Her friend paused and tilted her head slightly, "Traveling?"

Adunni nodded, suddenly feeling confident in her idea, "Yes, I agree with you, I need some time off...actual time off, so, I'd like to travel."

For some reason, Chika seemed rather skeptical of the idea. Adunni had known her long enough to detect when she was so, "Okay...so, where do you have in mind?" She inquired.

She hadn't bought the idea just yet, but Adun was hoping Chika would put her little intervention plan on hold once she was done explaining this impromptu idea to her.

4 Likes

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Jsaviour(f): 1:41pm On Jan 02, 2022
Mama, this is too short nah embarassed Thanks though
Re: The Proposition (15+) by AdeizaOkene(m): 1:57pm On Jan 02, 2022
Well done ma'am, I won't blame a Mom whose intention is to make her child happy, but it is sometime annoying if parent involve themselves in their child's life. Adun will have to forgive Patrick and her Mom, we aren't always the one who make every decisions in our life. Some incident that occur in our life is a script play for other's. This is Adun's fate, no other choice except Patrick or else Kenneth is around the corner.
Re: The Proposition (15+) by hotswagg12: 3:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
Thanks for the update. When you made mention of adunni travelling outside of Lagos, I believed it should be Abuja and not Lagos. Try and make the correction.
Re: The Proposition (15+) by safarigirl(f): 3:27pm On Jan 02, 2022
hotswagg12:
Thanks for the update. When you made mention of adunni travelling outside of Lagos, I believed it should be Abuja and not Lagos. Try and make the correction.

Thank you, no mind me

1 Like

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Vulcanheph(m): 3:52pm On Jan 02, 2022
Oh come on!!!

This updates are too short nau !!!
Re: The Proposition (15+) by oloyedprince1(m): 7:27pm On Jan 02, 2022
Your consistency in post made you awesome and best
Re: The Proposition (15+) by safarigirl(f): 2:29am On Jan 03, 2022
Vulcanheph:
Oh come on!!!

This updates are too short nau !!!

Like I said, writing in progress

Work was lost, had to rewrite.

I have not even gotten to rewriting, but I do not want to rush the ending. I didn't start this story to give it an anyhow ending.

So, I might just leave it for a few days, and after I have fleshed out what I need to flesh out, I will post.

This update is not even supposed to be the follow up, I just posted it because everyone was looking for an update. The follow up is what I lost, and will now have to restructure.

So, the short updates will have to do for now.

3 Likes

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Ann2012(f): 5:09am On Jan 03, 2022
Thanks for the update ma’am
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Carterj007(m): 9:44am On Jan 04, 2022
Thanks for the update. You have a lovely write-up
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Blesstar(f): 11:33am On Jan 04, 2022
Beautiful story cool
Re: The Proposition (15+) by xaviercasmir(m): 6:05pm On Jan 04, 2022
Thanks for this wonderful piece
Re: The Proposition (15+) by safarigirl(f): 9:27pm On Jan 04, 2022
Chapter......

Nothing on TV could quite catch his interest.

Nothing at all had been able to catch his interest over the last week, he was merely going through the motions day after day, doing what needed to be done and putting up a front for Veronica.

He wasn't sure she was buying his act though. His sister was smart, she knew something had gone wrong the moment he picked her from Shade's. She hadn't asked him any questions though, but he knew she was aching to.

He hated how tense he had made their home for her unintentionally. He hated the look of concern on her face whenever he would dish her food. He saw the way she would stare at him, as though she wanted to say something, but then she would lower her head, saving him the pain of recollection.

She wasn't a naive child though, and at some point, he would have to put on his big boy pants and tell her about his breakup with Adunni.

Perhaps, when he had made peace with it himself.

A small hand came over his own, and slipped the remote out of his hand. He raised his gaze to Veronica, who gave him a smile as she sat next to him. That was how she now communicated her support to him….with smiles.

He returned the smile, as she began to surf the channels. There was a reign of silence consequently, as Patrick found himself drifting into familiar thoughts of all the ways his current state of hopelessness could have been avoided.

"Adults don't run away from their problems, they face them and find ways to overcome them." Veronica said.

Patrick glanced at his sister, who hadn't stopped surfing channels, as her eyes remained on the television.

"What did you say?" He asked.

She turned to him, "You told me, that being an adult meant you couldn't run away or hide from your problems, that the only way for them to disappear, is if you faced them."

He had told her many things when they were poor and in desperate need of motivation. He had told her things to convince himself they wouldn't both die of hunger under his watch. This was one of those things, and it was in response to her question on why he tolerated the problems she foisted on him.

"That's the truth, V" he said.

"So, why are you hiding from yours?" She asked pointedly.

His brows furrowed in confusion at first, and then it clicked. Patrick felt himself withdraw slightly, as he lowered his head, "Veronica sometimes...sometimes, being an adult is hard and life isn't necessarily black or white. Sometimes, the only option you have is to hide." He admitted.

Yes, there were things Patrick would readily fight for, but they were things he was certain he had a chance to influence. This situation wasn't one of those. He was on the wrong side of the wall, he couldn't bulldoze his way through. It was up to Adun to open the gates for him.

"I disagree." She stated emphatically, causing Patrick to once again look toward her direction.

Defiant eyes stared back at him. He managed a chuckle, "I don't think you're in a position to disagree V." He stated.

"You know, just because you're the adult, doesn't mean you know everything. Sometimes, adults can be wrong, and clueless."

Patrick had to restrain himself from laughing, even as he couldn't deny the truth to her words. If his father's downward spiral and eventual death had taught him anything, it was that adulthood didn't come with infinite knowledge, and an adult could well and truly be clueless.

"I appreciate the effort Veronica, but I promise you, this situation is far more complicated than your expertise can handle."

"You haven't even tried to reach out to her!" Veronica blurted out, her frustration evident. She stared at Patrick like he had greatly offended her.

"What am I supposed to say to her?"

"Tell her you're sorry, tell her you won't do whatever it is you did again, beg her to forgive you. You look miserable, and I don't know what to do with a miserable you."

There it was….that was the real problem. While he had been moping around the house, he hadn't considered the possibility that Veronica would be uncomfortable. He had been so immersed in his own self pity that the mental state of his housemate hadn't occurred to him. Veronica did not have to deal with this side of him, and yet, he was putting it on her young shoulders.

He sighed softly at her outburst, "I'm sorry V…" he began, "...I just...I guess I'm scared she won't answer any of my calls."

"Try first, better to try and be sure, than to not try at all, and assume."

Patrick sighed softly, as he lowered his head. Veronica was right, but that didn't take away the anxiety that raked through him at the thought of just trying. Assumption was safe, assumption protected him from the certain hurt he would feel if she didn't pick up his call.

"Adun may just be angry with you, but I don't think she won't want to hear from you ever again. Talk to her." Veronica egged on.

There was a bit of silence between them, just before his phone bfan to buzz.

Patrick glanced at it, and was surprised to see Folashade's name. Since that morning he picked up Veronica, they hadn't spoken. Even on that morning, their interaction was brief, he had not told her of his fall out with Adun. He had been too much of a coward to do so on that day. When she texted him about her visit though, he had texted her back to apologise for how things turned out. That was about all the interaction they had had in weeks.

His brows furrowed in slight confusion, as he picked up the phone and answered the call, "Mrs. Oche, good afternoon." He greeted.

"Hi, Patrick, how are you doing?" She asked, her tone soft and motherly.

He wasn't doing well, but what did that matter? "I'm okay, thanks for asking."

There was a brief silence on the other line, as though she did not believe him and wanted to inquire further. Thankfully, she didn't.

"Sorry to drop this on you short notice, but, will you be available to come by my house the day after tomorrow? There's something I'd like to discuss with you."

Patrick was unsure of how those words made him feel. What could she want to discuss with him? Her tone wasn't grave, he didn't imagine whatever she wanted to discuss would affect him negatively, and she had assured him the perks of the job he had scuttled, would remain until he could fend for himself and Veronica. Still…."Oh, okay, sure, I'll be available."

"Will 5:00PM be fine for you? Or perhaps, within the hour."

"Yes, it's fine."

"Okay, I'll see you then?"

"Yes, definitely."

"Do take care of yourself Patrick, you don't sound okay. Everything will be fine, you hear?"

It was perhaps, the most hopeful thing he had heard since that terrible morning, and it filled Patrick with a warmth that had eluded him for weeks. It also made him less anxious about what to expect, "Yes, thank you ma." He responded.

"Goodnight son."

He smiled softly, "Goodnight."

The line went dead, and he was faced with Veronica's curious gaze, "Was that Mrs. Oche? What's she calling about?"

For now, he didn't know, but hopefully, the coming days would reveal something positive.

6 Likes

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Ann2012(f): 6:30am On Jan 05, 2022
Thanks for the update
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Typicool8(m): 7:30am On Jan 05, 2022
Thanks for the update
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Vulcanheph(m): 8:04am On Jan 05, 2022
Fantastic update as usual.
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Vulcanheph(m): 8:06am On Jan 05, 2022
Fantastic update as usual.... Please don't keep me hanging for long before dropping another update

This thread of yours has become more like a drug to me.
I need a fix regularly.

This story is my own meth. gringrincheesy
Re: The Proposition (15+) by hotswagg12: 2:27pm On Jan 05, 2022
What an update. Thanks a lot and more please.
Re: The Proposition (15+) by oloyedprince1(m): 6:41pm On Jan 05, 2022
Thanks for the update
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Dybala11(m): 9:43pm On Jan 05, 2022
Vulcanheph:
Fantastic update as usual.... Please don't keep me hanging for long before dropping another update

This thread of yours has become more like a drug to me.
I need a fix regularly.

This story is my own meth. gringrincheesy
Funny you. grin
Thanks for the update OP, give us more like Oliver twist.
Re: The Proposition (15+) by slimsophiediva(f): 6:02pm On Jan 10, 2022
Auntie please update ooo
I don refresh this page tire
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Blesstar(f): 7:18pm On Jan 10, 2022
OP we are hopefully waiting for your update.
Pls come and make us smile this new year na
Re: The Proposition (15+) by safarigirl(f): 11:07am On Jan 11, 2022
*Update***

This wasn't the way he had imagined any of this would go.

It has been almost two weeks since Kenneth played his master stroke, a stroke he has believed would be just what was needed to destroy whatever fairytale Adunni had been building with Patrick.

It was an ace card, and watching the scene play out, as Adunni asked that deceitful nobody out of her house, was perhaps, one of the best moments of the year for him.

Yet, here he was, two weeks later, in limbo.

She had not reached out to him. He had thought he would wait things out a bit, allow her time to digest the impact of Patrick Umeh's betrayal, and then, he would swoop in like the hero he had always known himself to be, and take all the accolades for pulling her out of whatever hole of sadness she had fallen in.

In his imaginations though, Adunni would call him, and invite him over. She would ask him to expatiate on his findings concerning Patrick. They would bond over a now shared dislike for the man.

Adunni had not called. She also, had not bothered to answer his calls or reply any of the texts he had sent her. He wasn't even sure she had seen them.

He was desperate.

So desperate, he had decided to drive down to her office and surprise her. If Mohammed wouldn't come to the mountain the mountain would have to come to Mohammed.

So, he drove by a flower shop and got her a beautiful bouquet of pink roses, he stopped at a wine shop and got an expensive bottle of wine, and had spent the rest of the drive to her office rehearsing his lines.

He didn't imagine he was in Adunni's good graces, not with the way she had asked him out of her house. However, be was determined to get back in those graces, and if nothing else, he was at least sure that Patrick Umeh was much lower on the ladder.

He made his way into the building and got into the elevator, staring back at his reflection as soon as he did. He looked good...he always looked good. Today, he had chosen a peach coloured suit over a white dress shirt, he had chosen to forego a tie, because if didn't blend into the formal casual look he was going for.

The elevator dinged and he stepped out, as he took a few steps to the office, he frowned at the thought of confronting Chika at the door first. If he had any luck, she would be nowhere around...but he knew damn well that luck was no friend of his.

His last thought as he reached the glass door that was the entrance to the office, was that he should have gotten something to bribe Chika with.

As expected, the villain to his love story was by her desk. Her back was turned to him, as she rummaged through a file cabinet. He couldn't stop his eyes from roaming over the perfect form of her derriere in the dress she wore. Had Adunni never thought of her clothes as distracting?

Chika wasn't exactly the most inconspicuous woman in any room. It was hard to be when you were 5ft.9' tall and still had a thing for heels that were at least 4-inches high. Her sense of style was daring; stylish, but daring. Her dresses always hugged her form in a way that danced between decent and scandalous. It was amazing how she managed to find clothes like that. And then there was her entire aura, the sensuality she exuded...he did not understand how Adun was just fine with her being such a tease in the office.

He shook his head, to clear them of thoughts concerning Chika's sex appeal. He was not here for that. He cleared his throat rather loudly to alert her of his presence. She turned around, sadly, interrupting his view of her behind.

Her eyes roved over him in that disapproving way he loathed, but had now become accustomed to, before she spoke up, "You don't have any business here. You should leave." She said simply. Her tone curt.

Normally, he would have had a scathing word for her, just for that look in her eyes….but today was different, today, he needed to see Adun, and considering he was in Adun's bad books, it wasn't likely she would invite him into her office after hearing a screaming match between himself and Chika. Today, he regretfully, had to put on his big boy pants and charm her.

"I know I don't have an appointment, however, this is very important and I would really appreciate it, if you could let me see Adun." He replied softly.

Chika arched a perfect brow at him, surprise stamped on her face at his tone. It caused him to shift a bit uncomfortably. This was not a position he fancied; being at the mercy of someone else, even more, someone who hated his guts and would sooner gut him.

Her eyes zeroed in on the bouquet of flowers in his hand as well as the bottle of wine, "This one you brought gifts...I hope you have plans with some other babe, because those cannot be for Adun." She stated, her tone filled with amusement.

It was hard to be civil to Chika. Everytime she opened her mouth, she was begging for an insult. Such a mouthy young woman, one who either didn't know her place or could not be bothered about what was required of her position, "Well, they are hers Chika, and I would appreciate it if you would tell her I'm here or let me see her."

She chuckled softly, the sound was so small if the room wasn't quiet, he probably wouldn't have heard it. He watched her walk towards him, her hips swaying in a practiced movement, while he struggled to maintain eye contact with her, "Are those even real?" She inquired of the flowers in his hand, and he had to restrain himself from slapping her glum face with the petals.

"That's none of your concern."

She smiled at him, the gesture giving her an adorable look. This woman was so pretty it had to be a crime, "You're not really good at this begging thing, are you?" She asked, "Or is it only Adun's ass you're dedicated to kissing?"

He wouldn't mind kissing her ass in a much different way than he did Adun's...no! What the hell was he thinking? He did mind, he minded very much.

"Just let me see her." He stated drily, the idea of charming Chika into letting him in now discarded. He could not stand her enough to employ his charming lines on her.

She laughed. Right in his face. It started with a chuckle, and graduated into proper laughter, "Guy, have I been speaking Mandarin? I said you can't see her, she's not in. Take your gifts to your actual babe." She turned away from him and returned to her desk.

"You're lying." He spat, before he could stop himself. His words dripping with the derision he felt at being mocked. Kenneth had never met another soul that could rattle him more than Chika, and it irked him to no end that there was someone, even more, this particular person, that could get under his very pretty plums so easily.

"Omo, what you choose to believe is your business." She started casually, as she lowered herself onto her desk, and folded her arms across her full chest, "I've told you what I need to tell you. You can now leave." She said, as she gestured toward the door behind him.

Before he could stop himself, Kenneth was moving toward her in long, angry strides. He dropped the bottle of wine and flowers on her desk rather loudly, as he imposed himself within her space, "Now, I don't know what has you thinking you can talk to me however you like, but I will not tolerate your continued impudence, not even for Adunni." He spat

Kenneth thought himself an intimidating man when he wanted to be, he was 6ft.2" tall after all, with broad shoulders and a built form thanks to hours spent in the gym. He had no issues intimidating other men, but for some reason, Chika Ezeani didn't move a muscle at his closeness.

Rather, she rose from the table, her heels making sure to put her at eye level with him. Her flowery scent invaded his nostrils, her entire aura slightly weakening his resolve. As intimidating as he was, he had a feeling Chika wielded as much power, "Look around you, Kenneth Agbo, this is my office, my turf. A spineless irritant like you, cannot intimidate me on my turf. So, I suggest you take yourself and your cheap gifts…" she reached for the flowers and bottle of wine and shoved them in his chest, "...and get out, before I have to call security on you."

This was his cue to pick up what was left of his dignity and walk out. He would step away like the gentleman he was, go back home and spend the rest of the day plotting some other way to reach Adun.

It was the smart thing to do.

Kenneth did not do the smart thing.

Kenneth did what he had wanted to do since the first time he had seen Chika from across the room at an NBA conference. He had tired of torturing himself.

He leaned in and pressed his lips against hers, just so he could feel her soft pair, just so he could quell his curiosity. She grew stiff in response, clearly shocked by his actions. Kenneth did not think to stop, no, because he enjoyed how her lips felt against his. He placed his free hand around her waist, just as his tongue sought entry into her mouth.

It was enough to break Chika out of her state of shock.

She pushed him off her, a slap landing on his cheek almost as soon as that distance was created, "Have you lost your mind?" She asked.

Kenneth blinked wildly, the adrenaline that had pushed him to kiss Chika slowly leaving his system as realisation dawned on him. Shit!

"Chika, I…"

"You're mad, sick, and highly misinformed if you ever thought I would let you kiss me." She fired at him, "Get out right now, because I will not only call the security on you, I'll call the police and have you arrested for sexual assault."

Kenneth created even more space between them. He had goofed majorly, "No, please, I didn't…" she picked up the telephone, causing him to pause mid-explanation. She didn't want to hear any of this, and his continued presence could potentially endanger his career, "...I'll just leave…"

He turned his back to her and quickly made his way out of the office. He was hopeful Chika wouldn't utter a word of this to Adun, but he was unsure of how he would face either woman after his actions of today.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Proposition (15+) by Abdulreheem(m): 11:25am On Jan 11, 2022
first to read nd comment. reading nd not wanting it to end .thanks 4 d update op
Re: The Proposition (15+) by Odoogu(m): 12:47pm On Jan 11, 2022
This is more like it...

Chika seems a fiesty woman, kenneth gonna thirst grin grin
Re: The Proposition (15+) by hotswagg12: 1:31pm On Jan 11, 2022
Kenneth really messed up big time. Thanks for the update.
Re: The Proposition (15+) by slimsophiediva(f): 2:33pm On Jan 11, 2022
Thank you for the update

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jakuta (god Of Thunder) / ¤Step Down For Love¤ A story by Vonn / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.