Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,995 members, 7,814,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

#ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. (882 Views)

I'm Getting Abuse Because Of My Interview With Bola Tinubu - Peter Okwoche / Datti Baba-Ahmed Interview On Arise TV News / President Buhari's Interview On Arise TV (Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by plaindealer: 9:07am On Nov 20, 2021
Re my Interview on Arise TV.

This morning of 18th November 2021 on EndSARs Panel leaked report .

This our country must change by learning to confront inconvenient truth . Not for my sake - but for the younger generation; and my children.

Please see and read the report before you comment oo. My client Lagos State government was not indicted in it . But it was my client that set it up. It is the body by law that can accept , reject or modify it for implementation. I am under no doubt absolutely that the report did incalculable injustice to innocent people and falsely pronounced people to be dead as a result of Lekki shooting on 20th October .

At least at the last count since the report was leaked on social media ahead of submission to their appointor - about 4 days ago - 7 of the listed deceased persons have been shown to be alive or to have died at different places on days other than on 20th of October - not from Lekki incident .

I can affirm that none of the eleven persons listed as dead ( and 4 presumed missing by the panel ) was proved to have died at Lekki toll gate or at all . Not even medical report , cause of death , or certificate of death was tendered by the petitioners in respect of these persons . In the province of proof of essential matters on which peoples' life and faith are dependent, speculation or fact-rigging should never be granted entry visa .

I know it sounds ridiculous to expect that to be the case ; but sadly that is the case with this report . I will be more than happy to have these assertions disproved by a panel member or a counsel abreast of the proceedings - just by displaying documents tendered which answered to all this vital missing evidential material .

You should curse me and pray for the wrath of God to strike me and all that I hold dear if I was ever found commending such a disgraceful and self-serving and irresponsible supposed judicial panel of inquiry report . I am using these strong words with full conviction - I only pay attention and commit to worthwhile causes that can hold out against any genuine universal challenge.

Abiodun Owonikoko SAN

2 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by plaindealer: 9:09am On Nov 20, 2021
I can affirm that none of the eleven persons listed as dead ( and 4 presumed missing by the panel ) was proved to have died at Lekki toll gate or at all . Not even medical report , cause of death , or certificate of death was tendered by the petitioners in respect of these persons . In the province of proof of essential matters on which peoples' life and faith are dependent, speculation or fact-rigging should never be granted entry visa .

This is getting super serious o.. grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by plaindealer: 9:11am On Nov 20, 2021
How do you admit and say to yourself that people died even though you don't know, and you don't have any proof? How.?

This is not American wonder, it is Naija wonder.. grin grin

6 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by sammy329(m): 9:13am On Nov 20, 2021
That report is very biased report, I don't know why people are not seeing.

You can't just massacre people without an uproar from their families and loved ones, people are not fowls naah. When that OAU MBA student was murdered look at the uproar made by his family.

But in lekki it seems that only orphans and people that do not have family were affected. undecided

The truth will always prevail

7 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by Grace001: 9:14am On Nov 20, 2021
There shouldn't be need for this eye service useless nonsense panel in the first place.

Since the government and some people strongly believed that no one died at the lekki tollgates, what is the need for this panel set-up when it’s crystal clear that they will reject a report contrary to their believe.

Let those who have ears hear this, Nigeria isn’t worth protesting for. If you go for any protest and you die, you die for NOTHING.

I keep saying it, those(oppressors) that run the affair of these useless failed contraption are WICKED, HEARTLESS and BRUTAL they can kill and jail anyone who is against the status quo
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by Flexherbal(m): 9:29am On Nov 20, 2021
I am under no doubt absolutely that the report did incalculable injustice to innocent people and falsely pronounced people to be dead as a result of Lekki shooting on 20th October .

They have started their mind game, again.
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by aremuforlife(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2021
Grace001:
There shouldn't be need for this eye service useless nonsense panel in the first place.

Since the government and some people strongly believed that no one died at the lekki tollgates, what is the need for this panel set-up when it’s crystal clear that they will reject a report contrary to their believe.

Let those who have ears hear this, Nigeria isn’t worth protesting for. If you go for any protest and you die, you die for NOTHING.

I keep saying it, those(oppressors) that run the affair of these useless failed contraption are WICKED, HEARTLESS and BRUTAL they can kill and jail anyone who is against the status quo

The panel is to clear the doubts of the citizens,
There is no massacre in lekki toll gates, but you guys want us to believe the assumption that there is one.
The panel have been able to proof the doubts, we saw the media trial and emotional trial that was played during the massacre heist. The inconsequency in the reports have rubbish everything's even the panelists should be query.

3 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by Grace001: 10:29am On Nov 20, 2021
aremuforlife:

The panel is to clear the doubts of the citizens,
There is no massacre in lekki toll gates, but you guys want us to believe the assumption that there is one.
The panel have been able to proof the doubts, we saw the media trial and emotional trial that was played during the massacre heist. The inconsequency in the reports have rubbish everything's even the panelists should be query.

What do you have to say to all the lies from the NA regarding this sensitive lekki tollgate saga, a respectable organization that is suppose to stand by the truth at all time.

What message are they passing to the world with all these lies.. “Iwa omo loun mu omo se Ogun oki gbe” I believe you understand this Aremuforlife

Ogbeni Aremuforlife… Oya say something about their lies, I know this is going to be a difficult task for you to justify their lies. Please take your time to come up with something

Nigerian army amateur lies ;
Our men are not at the lekki tollgate
Our men was there but didn’t fire a shot
Our men only fired blank bullets we didn’t have live bullet
Our men went to the scene with live bullet

I still say, there shouldn’t have been need for any panel in the first place. It’s an eyes service panel.

I pity those who will protest in the nearest future, if they kill you, you die for nothing. This useless failed country called Nigeria isn’t worth protesting for simple.

1 Like

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by aremuforlife(m): 10:41am On Nov 20, 2021
Grace001:

What do you have to say to all the lies from the NA regarding this sensitive lekki tollgate saga, a respectable organization that is suppose to stand by the truth at all time.

What message are they passing to the world with all these lies.. “Iwa omo loun mu omo se Ogun oki gbe” I believe you understand this Aremuforlife

Ogbeni Aremuforlife… Oya say something about their lies, I know this is going to be a difficult task for you to justify their lies. Please take your time to come up with something

Nigerian army amateur lies ;
Our men are not at the lekki tollgate
Our men was there but didn’t fire a shot
Our men only fired blank bullets we didn’t have live bullet
Our men went to the scene with live bullet

I still say, there shouldn’t have been need for any panel in the first place. It’s an eyes service panel.

I pity those who will protest in the nearest future, if they kill you, you die for nothing. This useless failed country called Nigeria isn’t worth protesting for simple.
Theg are entitled to the way the want to protect their interests.
We don't need to discredit them for what they did not do.
There was no massacre in lekki toll gate, they may lied for kot being there for a reason best known to them, they are professionals, trained to kill.

1 Like

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by Baba40(f): 10:47am On Nov 20, 2021
The Panel even awarded a deceased person N15m, and the same deceased person gave an interview with Punch Newspaper after he died...

The system is rotten already
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by Grace001: 10:56am On Nov 20, 2021
aremuforlife:

Theg are entitled to the way the want to protect their interests.
We don't need to discredit them for what they did not do.
There was no massacre in lekki toll gate, they may lied for kot being there for a reason best known to them, they are professionals, trained to kill.

According to you, an organization with integrity protected their interests with LIES in the face of the world over a sensitive issue like lekki tollgate… And you feel so proud to type this ? By your moniker I want to assume I share the same region with you tori-olorun
That’s interesting

Joke of a country.
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by unohbethel(m): 12:19pm On Nov 20, 2021
Grace001:

According to you, an organization with integrity protected their interests with LIES in the face of the world over a sensitive issue like lekki tollgate… And you feel so proud to type this ? By your moniker I want to assume I share the same region with you tori-olorun
That’s interesting

Joke of a country.
lol I know ur ashamed of that maga especially seeing that his likely from ur tribe..

with this kind of persons in Nigeria(and they are in the Millions), u still think this Cowntry go better grin grin grin
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by aremuforlife(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2021
Grace001:

That’s interesting

Joke of a country.
According to you, you chose what to believe, even though they wasn't anything like massacre, you still want to believe it occurred.
Sometimes been educated does not mean intelligent

1 Like

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by aremuforlife(m): 1:13pm On Nov 20, 2021
unohbethel:
lol I know ur ashamed of that maga especially seeing that his likely from ur tribe..

with this kind of persons in Nigeria(and they are in the Millions), u still think this Cowntry go better grin grin grin
Guess who is maga between you and me, with your kind in Nigeria, you can be sentence for murder without any evidence.
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by seunmsg(m): 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2021
At least at the last count since the report was leaked on social media ahead of submission to their appointor - about 4 days ago - 7 of the listed deceased persons have been shown to be alive or to have died at different places on days other than on 20th of October - not from Lekki incident .

Hmmmm. And this is the report they want to force down our throats as the true account of what happened on 20th October, 2020. This is such a huge disgrace to Nigerians and indeed the international community.

We want the truth and not lies and assumptions. The report cannot stand any reasonable scrutiny and it’s not even worth the paper it was printed on. Smh!

3 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by sapientia(m): 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2021
Op is on a mission

Beware

1 Like

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by plaindealer: 7:07pm On Nov 20, 2021
The panel attributed the claim that people died at the toll gate to a witness that never testified to that effect before any panel, no record of such interview or testimony in their report

Sometimes I just wonder about Nigeria and the kind of people we allow to run things in this country.

They lie and rig at will as it it's nothing.

The panel must as a matter of urgency disbanded and their report thrown in the dustbin.

2 Likes

Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by christistruth01: 9:57pm On Nov 20, 2021
https://www.thecable.ng/missing-links-the-judicial-panel-of-inquiry-into-endsars-protest-and-lekki-tollgate-incident

Missing links: The judicial panel of inquiry into #EndSARS protest and Lekki tollgate incident
Missing links: The judicial panel of inquiry into #EndSARS protest and Lekki tollgate incident
November 20
10:09
by Contributor
0 Comments

BY ABUBAKRI YEKINI
On November 15, 2021, the judicial panel of inquiry (JPI) delivered its report to the governor of Lagos state. Upon submission of the report, the governor set up a four-man committee chaired by the attorney-general of the state. The committee had two weeks to review the report after which government will issue a White Paper in accordance with the provisions of the Tribunal of Inquiry Law 2015.

Advertisement

However, before the ink had dried on the submitted report, a member or members of the JPI leaked an unsigned copy of the report in social media space in total breach of trust and the law setting up the JPI. This was in tandem with a threat issued by a panel member Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, SAN, who had in a Facebook post threatened to release the report of the panel if the government fails to publish the findings and recommendations.

After the leakage social and news media was awash with various seemingly damning quotes from the JPI report.

Sadly, the commentaries, even from otherwise respected members of society show that most commentators had not even read leaked the report. I must first confess that even one death is bad enough and this write-up should not be seen as justifying the death of anyone, be they protesters, security agents, or anyone for that matter.

Advertisement

On page 283 paragraph 3 (A) and page 284 (C), the findings against the deployment of the military overlook the complete breakdown of law and order all over Lagos which led to the imposition of a curfew by the state government on 20/10/20. Uncontroverted evidence before the panel was that the military deployed all over Lagos and not just to Lekki tollgate (LTG) because the police had clearly become overwhelmed and could no longer maintain law and order.

Page 286 (D): Panel held that it recovered bullet casings/shells at LTG when it visited the toll gate on 30/10/20. This contradicts the finding of the same panel on page 296, paragraphs 13 & 14: “Three trucks with brushes underneath were brought to LTG on the morning of October 21st 2020 to clean up the scene of bloodstains and other evidence.” This finding, the JPI stated amounts to evidence of a cover-up, yet it still found 2 bullet casings at the same cover-up scene 10 days after the incident.

Page 287 (H): The medical evidence before the panel from hospitals who treated protesters said only 2 deaths were recorded in their facilities. This is contrary to the evidence of Doctor Lawson contained on pages 56 – 68 and Dr. Aromolate contained on pages 109-115 respectively.

Advertisement
Page 287 (K): Panel claimed it relied on evidence of one of the protesters who was shot and taken for dead, but escaped and stated that 11 corpses were in a van where he had been put in and presumed dead. However, Olalekan Sanusi, the protester in question was never stated to have testified before the panel. This crucial finding made by the panel was based merely on video footage of Olalekan Sanusi played by another witness Serah Ibrahim on page 165.

On page 288 paragraph (M), the panel crucially held: “The evidence of the pathologist Prof Obafunwa that only 3 of the bodies that they conducted post mortem examination on were from Lekki and only one had Gunshot injury and this was not debunked. We deem it credible as the contrary was not presented before the panel.”

However, in a complete turnaround from the above finding on page 288 paragraph M, the same panel went on to find that more (9) people died of gunshots wounds than what the pathologist who conducted autopsies on all the bodies picked up during the entire #EndSARS protest said. This is despite the panel saying that there was no contrary evidence to that of Prof Obafunwa before it. So page 288, paragraphs O and P are contradictory to the finding on page 288, paragraph M.

On page 289, paragraph T, the evidence of the ballistic expert called by Lagos state, Dieye-Tonye Wille-Harry, testified that from the evidence which he reviewed was that no one died from military-grade bullets at LTG.

Advertisement

Page 292, paragraph J, although the panel held that the police were present at LTG and shot sporadically and killed protesters, the evidence established before the panel was that only one officer ASP Ayodele Olabode with one rifle was assigned to Lekki patrol on 19th October. Furthermore, no one identified or mentioned this officer as being responsible for any deaths at LTG and the panel made no such finding either.

On page 293, paragraph N, the panel found that one protester was killed by the police around LTG. However, curiously, neither the name of the protester nor that of the alleged police shooter was provided. Even though in this paragraph no further details of this shooting were supplied, this is evidence of the levity with which the panel arrived at its findings. This finding is not backed up by any iota of evidence. It is unbelievable that a finding of death can be made in such a cavalier manner.

On page 295, paragraph 9, the panel rejected the evidence of experts who relied on science to compile their report/testimonies and preferred anecdotal stories from so-called eyewitness accounts of protesters.

On page 296, paragraph 12, the panel stated that picking of dead corpses by the Lagos State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit (LASEHMU) statewide and depositing them at mortuaries after the protests were evidence of a cover-up? Should the government have allowed corpses to rot on the streets to show there was no cover-up? How can the exercise of its ministerial mandate by LASEHMU be deemed as a cover-up? The corpses according to the panel were taken to mortuaries and in fact, this act accounted for the number of corpses for which autopsies were performed across the state during the crucial period.

Advertisement
The panel relied on the testimony of protesters that the Army prevented ambulances from ferrying away injured protestors. This was an uncorroborated piece of evidence. No single picture or footage of any ambulance being turned away was said to have been tendered before the panel. This is on page 296 paragraph 15. Furthermore, there is no evidence of any ambulance personnel being invited to testify before the panel to this effect.

On page 296 paragraph 17, the panel speculated when it stated that #EndSARS protesters and victims of LTG were “largely unwillingly” to be identified in public for fear of prosecution and harassment. There was no evidence before the panel to this effect. One thing the protesters could not be accused of was shyness or fear of being identified. Protestors took hundreds/thousands of pictures and video footage during the protest and even during the panel sittings. This finding flies in the face of the reality of the character of the protesters and what their protests represent.

On pages 296 -297, the panel set out a list of what it called casualties at the toll gate incident of 20/10/21. This list contains 48 names. No explanation was offered for how the panel arrived at this list, neither was any evidence provided as to how they became casualties. And that is why for example it has come to light that one Nathaniel Solomon listed at No46 on the list of casualties as deceased has been proven to be alive.

On page 298, paragraph B, the JPI accused LCC of removing cameras to cover up. However, the unchallenged evidence of LCC was that the cameras which were removed were number plate reading cameras.

Advertisement

On page 301, paragraph C, the panel rejected the evidence of Lagos state’s ballistic expert because he didn’t speak to witnesses, pathologists, petitioners, protesters or doctors. The ballistic expert didn’t need to speak to these people as his evidence was concentrated on whether military-grade ammunition was used at LTG on 20/10/20. The expert said his team simply examined medical records, X-rays, pictures and footage of events at LTG and of the shell casings allegedly picked up at the LTG, this did not require him to talk to the persons mentioned by the panel. He also compared the bullet casings/shells found allegedly picked up at LTG with bullet casings or shells from military-grade weapons and locally made guns or pistols.

The finding on page 302, paragraphs V & VI is inconsistent with the earlier finding regarding Prof Obafunwa’s testimony that only 3 out of the 96 bodies he performed the autopsy for were from Lekki and that only one out of the three corpses from Lekki had gunshot wounds. See page 288 paragraph M.

The statement of the panel contained on page 302, paragraph VII is highly speculative.

To say that unidentified corpses in the 96 autopsies lend credence to the case of the #EndSARS protestors that shootings by security agencies resulted in mass deaths. Apart from being highly speculative, there is no direct evidence backing up this assertion. How many corpses amongst the 96 died as a result of gunshot wounds for example? And who in particular fired the alleged shots? Prof Obafunwa’s testimony that the corpses were picked up all over the State during the period of the protest, the Panel however ignored this to suit its unfounded decisions.

On page 302 paragraph X, the panel again rejects unchallenged and uncontroverted evidence about deaths in Ikoyi correctional centre to fit into its speculative narrative of deaths in LTG. The finding at para 4 page 14 of the executive summary which is supposed to be a summary of the main findings is not contained anywhere in the findings made by the panel.

Curiously and in line with its narrative to uphold the unsubstantiated claims of the #EndSARS protesters the panel awarded the sum of N10m to Serah Ibrahim who was called as a witness for the protesters. This is most curious because Serah Ibrahim was not a petitioner before the panel. She also did not seek any compensation whatsoever. The panel however standing logic on its head decided to award a compensation of N10m to her calling it “severe trauma award”. The question is of all the witnesses who testified before the panel what made Serah Ibrahim different for her to be singled out for this generous award and what disqualified the other witnesses from the panel’s generosity. This is one of the strongest evidence of bias demonstrated by the panel in favour of the protesters.

Evidence before the panel was that the 10th (Japhet) person on the victims’ list was shot at Ajah and presented at the hospital on 22/10/20. Yet the panel listed him as being shot at LTG (see evidence of Reddington Hospital at pages 54-60).

Similarly, Mabel NNAJI (No 7 on the victims’ list) was said to have been shot by pellets as established by the evidence before the panel yet the panel said she was shot by the Military. (see page 57). This high-powered panel obviously doesn’t know that military-grade weapons do not fire pellets.

Finally, throughout its 309 pages leaked report, not a single word of support or commiseration was offered by the panel to the several policemen slaughtered directly or indirectly as a result of the actions of the protestors nor to the thousands of innocent citizens whose property were looted, burnt or destroyed by protesters. The panel seemed to be too consumed by its bias for the protestors to recognize the “severe trauma” of these groups.

Abubakri Yekini writes from Lagos.

Write a comment
WRITE A COMMENT
Comment:
Your comment..

Nickname*
Nickname

E-mail*

Website
Website

Advertisement

HOME ABOUT US CONTACT US TERMS OF USE PRIVACY POLICY COMMENT POLICY
© 2021 Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.
ADVERTISEMENT
Re: #ENDSARS. Abiodun Owonikoko SAN. Re My Interview On Arise TV. by plaindealer: 10:28pm On Nov 20, 2021
Thanks for this crucial revelation.

Page 287 (K): Panel claimed it relied on evidence of one of the protesters who was shot and taken for dead, but escaped and stated that 11 corpses were in a van where he had been put in and presumed dead. However, Olalekan Sanusi, the protester in question was never stated to have testified before the panel. This crucial finding made by the panel was based merely on video footage of Olalekan Sanusi played by another witness Serah Ibrahim on page 165.

The panel's one and the only proof of 11 dead people came from this Olalekan Sanusi, represented by Sarah Ibrahim.

The person, they actually did not obtain the 11 dead people testimony from the witness, I won't even call him a witness since he did not testify and was never placed under oath and the fact that he did not testify before the panel and was never placed under oath means whatever came from him via whatever source is irrelevant and null and void, he was basically not part of that process so the panel should intentionally lied in their report.

Sarah Ibrahim presented the video where Olalekan Sanusi said he saw 11 dead bodies, she was not a witness, she represented other people that never showed up before the panel.

Now, we all know the reason why the panel took this route, it was basically to dodge cross-examination by the defendant's lawyers, they did not want them to be subjected to cross-examination, they didn't want the opposing lawyers to expose their lies.

1. Olalekan Sanusi did not go before the pane just to dodge cross-examination.

2. Sarah Ibrahim did not show up for cross-examination, she did not show up 4 times as scheduled and they are still looking for her to be cross-examined.

3. Without cross-examination, the panel proceedings and their job is incomplete, so the report again remains null and void.

We are yet to see the end of the panel's sad and unfortunate drama and fooleries.

(1) (Reply)

Uzodinma Has Made Imo People See Their Ears With Their Eyes – Okorocha Blows Hot / We May Consider An Igbo President If They Meet This Single Condition / Cameroonian Forces Entered Into Nigerian Territory, Seize Farmlands.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.