Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,454 members, 7,850,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:51 AM

Afenifere And Other South-west Leaders Angry At Acn And Co - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Afenifere And Other South-west Leaders Angry At Acn And Co (623 Views)

APC Leaders Angry As Buhari Appoints More Northerners / APC Leaders Angry With Buhari Over State Of Emergency Comments / All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Afenifere And Other South-west Leaders Angry At Acn And Co by aljharem3: 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2011
•Fasoranti, Adebanjo, Jakande, Falae, Segun Adegoke, Lekan Balogun: This injustice won’t stand

•Babangida hails Reps for defying Presidency

•PDP kicks against Tambuwal’s choice as Speaker

LESS than 24 hours after members of the House of Representatives defied the Presidency and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) by electing Aminu Waziri Tambuwal (PDP-Sokoto, North-West) as the Speaker instead of Mulikat Adeola-Akande (PDP-Oyo, South-West), Yoruba leaders declared yesterday that the injustice was one too many.

Given the fact that the number four position has slipped from the South-West, the zone is now left with nothing in the federal arrangement.

Members of the Lower Chamber had, on Monday, elected Tambuwal, representing Tambuwal/Kebbe Federal Constituency of Sokoto State as Speaker, in defiance of the PDP arrangement, which zoned the position to the South-West.

He defeated Adeola-Akande with 252 to 90 votes.

Yesterday, leader of Afenifere, the pan-Yoruba socio-cultural group, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, faulted Tambuwal’s election.

Fasoranti, who spoke on phone with the Nigerian Compass, said a Yoruba man should have been made to replace Dimeji Bankole instead of a Northerner.

The octogenarian politician said the jettisoning of the zoning principle by PDP members showed that there is no longer party discipline again.

His words: “If that is what the House wants, the principle of zoning should not have come in in the first place. Bankole should have been replaced with somebody from the South-West to retain a balance so that we can have the fair share. May be that is what the House wants.”

Fasoranti said it was time for the South-West to go back to the drawing board and regain her lost place in the nation’s polity.

He said if the decision of the House was to elect Tambuwal as the number four citizen; the nation should not have been made to believe in the principle of zoning of the nation’s elective positions.

Echoing Fasoranti, Second Republic governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Lateef Kayode, said he was disturbed by the development.

The former governor maintained that the Yoruba nation must go back to the drawing board and re-strategise, if it is to be reckoned with “in the Nigeria project”.

“Well, we have to meet and reconsider the situation so that we follow up,” Jakande noted.

To Chief Ayo Adebanjo, it was an act of betrayal by the leadership of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) to support a Northerner against the interest of its people.

The Afenifere chieftain said it was now left for the people to judge if the ACN is actually representing the interest of the Yoruba nation as it claims to be or not.

Adebanjo wondered why the ACN would choose to support a Northerner against its own candidate when both of them are from the PDP.

“What type of politics are they playing? When the PDP said they are giving the speakership to the South-West, it was a bad decision for ACN to have supported a Northerner. Both Aminu Tambuwal and Adeola-Akande are members of the Peoples Democratic Party, why did ACN chose to support Tambuwal against the interest of their people? Honestly, I feel bad about it and what it means is that we don’t have any position now. Well, if those who claimed to be leaders of South-West decide to support a Northerner against the interest of their people, let the people judge,” Adebanjo declared.

But, the ACN National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, defended the party position.

Asked how he feels now that the South-West has been left in the cold in the order of protocol in Nigeria, Mohammed noted that the so-called mainstream party has never benefitted the South-West.

His words: “When we have the Speaker from the South-West, did we have federalism? When Olusegun Obasanjo was the President, did we have federalism? In fact, he seized allocation that was supposed to be for local governments in Lagos State.

“Who zoned the speakership to the South-West, was it not PDP? The president was the first to violate the zoning arrangement, so what is the fuss about ACN supporting a Northerner?

“What have we benefitted from the so-called mainstream party? We are not an ethnic party. We are a national party and whoever will support us to have true federalism, resource control and other developmental agenda, we are ready to support him.

“Was it not under Obasanjo that we have lopsided in revenue allocation? Was it not under him that revenue allocation to Lagos councils was withheld?

“We have every reason to believe that we have done the right thing by supporting Tambuwal”.

In Akure, former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Chief Olu Falae, said that Tambuwal’s emergence was strange and unacceptable.

“ I know that it is both a national political matter and PDP affair but it is a very strange and unacceptable development because Western Nigeria, which is now known as the South-West is the largest homogeneous community in Nigeria and the most politically developed. So, how can it be that we will have a Federal Government in Nigeria in which no one from that area is representing at the very top? So, I find very strange, I think it is unwise and I think it is not sustainable.

“My second reaction is that it is politically correct for all parts of Nigeria to be fairly represented in the Federal Government. That is a fair political statement, but if I may say as somebody from the South-West, that position does not translate to development. Even when our man was the number one in the country, what did we get from the Federal Government? They forced us into the mainstream of Nigerian politics and we nearly drowned in that stream.

“That was when our roads became impassable and we came back home after the eight years more marginalised. These positions are politically sensitive and everybody should be there but the most important thing is for you to do what is right for your people and others as well while there, but most of the people that had been there care less for where they came from. So, how should it be now that because we lost the Speakership, the heavens must fall? It is important that positions are fairly distributed for political balance but not that it automatically translate to development in the region. The fact is that all regions are entitled to an important position in the country, so, we should not be marginalised and that is why we should insist on our rights.

From Ibadan, Chief Lekan Balogun blamed former President Olusegun Obasanjo for the way the South-West is being embarrassed by the present structure.

He said: “What happened with the Speaker of the House of Representatives slipping from Mulikat Adeola-Akande from the South-West was a disappointment for the South-West, but a vindication of some of us on the role of former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the South-West PDP leadership. It is a vindication of his leadership. In true democracies, Obasanjo would have resigned from public glare. What happened is a democratic way of indicting Obasanjo’s leadership.

“When he became president of the country, we rallied round him in the South-West and all of us became PDP adherents. By the end of his eight-year tenure, South-West had nothing to show for it. He now embarked on systematic destruction of the PDP in South-West. So, what happened to the Speakership election is a consequence of that event. It is a continuation of cases of acts of tyranny perpetrated by his leadership because of the tremendous lesson the event has offered all of us in Nigeria and especially in the South West. I have no regret about the speakership election

“The lesson for the leadership of the country is also that people have for long been believing that South-West is not really happy when Obasanjo is happy. As a matter of fact, converse is the case now. When the presidency makes Obasanjo happy, we are miserable in the South-West. There are six agencies in the petroleum industry in Nigeria with the ministerial slot of Ministry of Petroleum Resources as the seventh opportunity in the country. Five of them are headed by North-Central people. Only one headed by a South-Easterner and the ministerial handled by a South-South woman, who now becomes the Emperor of the industry? None is headed by a South-Western person. And the presidency says South-West is not happy when Obasanjo is happy. But it has always been like that under his leadership.

“I will rather warn the new Speaker that in spite of what happened, he should understand that his victory is more of function of circumstance of bad leadership in the South-West and he should try as much as possible not to disadvantage the South-West, bearing it in mind that we are all Nigerians. If only for the lesson for us about the bad leadership in the South-West, I am not unhappy about the happening. My advice is that Obasanjo should resign his chairmanship of the Board of Trustees of the PDP. He should just resign because he has lost his relevance”.

Chief Omowale Kuye, the Otun Olubadan of Ibadan, said: “I do not have much sympathetic feeling for wherever anybody holding any public position comes from. I am not tribalistic and I am not a politician. I only care that the money meant for the masses is used for their benefits. A situation where the lawmakers earn N100 million, N80 million, N65 million is condemnable. Did many of them have access to N100 million in their houses and villages before becoming what they are now? They are mostly doing what they are not voted to do.

“Budgeting is the business of the executive. It is the executive that knows what money is coming in. Ministries make budget on resources coming in and so make allocations to the necessary sectors. Law does not permit them to be re-working the budget as they are wont to doing. They have been doing a lot of unconstitutional acts. Even, Obasanjo in 2005 or 2006 signed the budget less than what the National Assembly presented. It was that horrible. Many of them are inexperienced, bush men, who don’t know anything about law. Many of them were poor men yesterday, who rigged their ways into positions they occupy and suddenly within a year become stupendously wealthy. I could not even bother if they are stripped naked and lined into the prison.”

On whether he is angry with the Peoples Democratic Party for the relegation of the Yoruba race, Kuye said: “I don’t care or blame the PDP as a party which has really committed the offence. The blame is to the leaders who failed to build roads, build good schools, provide facilities to the masses instead of just sharing the money. So, to me, the elected are to blame for the position we have been placed. Even in the North, the leaders there have not been able to tackle the menace of the Almajiris. It is only the balance of what they cannot spend that they dash out to the masses who elected them. Imagine a member of the National Assembly earning more than the President of the United States.

“My simple suggestion is that they should amend the constitution and make their job part time, wherein they will only be earning allowances. Many of them only go there to collect money. Many of them are not even qualified to be there. They are not to go there and start talking rubbish. What people need is food on their table, and good schools for their children with necessary facilities. So, whether a Southerner emerges Speaker or it goes to a Northerner is not my concern.”

On his part, a frontline politician in Ondo State and member of Afenifere, Chief Segun Adegoke, stressed the need for Yoruba leaders across religious and political affiliations to meet urgently to address the problem confronting the South-West in view of the recent political developments.

Adegoke, a lawyer and a three-term commissioner in Ondo State, while reacting to Tambuwal’s emergence, declared that the development negated the zoning formula adopted by the PDP since 1999.

He described the loss of the speakership by the South-West as something that does not augur well for the Yoruba race.

He said the zone was known to be in opposition right from the days of the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

While blaming those he called ‘Northern cabal’ for the loss that befell the South-West, the one-time Special Adviser on Political Matters to former Governor Olusegun Agagu, attributed the move as a grand plan by some people from the North to push the South-West out of the mainstream political arrangement at all cost.

His words: “You see, I have always said it that the North is not comfortable with the South-West in being part of the mainstream politics of Nigeria. Now, what they are trying to say is that when Jonathan wanted to be president, Obasanjo said there was no zoning. Jonathan became president, now the Northerners want to prove something that okay, if there is no zoning, then anybody could be Speaker of the House of Representatives, that is why they put Tambuwal there,” he stated.

On what the current political arrangement portends for the PDP and how President Goodluck Jonathan should handle the situation, the frontline politician stressed the need for the President to ensure even distribution of political positions in line with the zoning formula of the PDP.

He expressed lamentation about the fortune of the South-West in the present political dispensation where none of the leading positions is given to it, despite what he called the part played in the crusade for Jonathan’s emergence as the President.

“Now, look at the South-West, there is nothing, practically nothing. Despite the fact that this part of the country was the one that started the crusade for Jonathan’s presidency.”

On the way out for the South-West in the present political situation, Adegoke called on all Yoruba leaders, irrespective of party affiliation to come down to the round table to discuss the issues affecting the race properly, adding that the people of the South-West cannot afford to be an underdog in the affairs of the country.

“There is the need for all Yoruba leaders to meet very urgently to restrategise. We cannot afford to be under Northern hegemony anymore. The fact that Jonathan is not a Northerner does not mean that we are not being enslaved”

“For now, Yoruba people need to meet to restrategise politically. We must achieve a Yoruba nation. It appears we are not compatible with what we are doing now. Irrespective of political affiliations, Yoruba people must come together.

“Where is PDP now, they have successfully pushed us out. Our status, position and membership of the PDP have been mortgaged by some people whom we believe we are supporting. The earlier Yoruba leaders meet to strategise and look deeper into what is happening, the better for us. What is going on now is more than meeting the eyes, it looks like a script is being written and acted by some people. We must do something about it,” he stated.

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Chief Adeniyi Akintola, said: “I hate the situation where people will be equating individual positions with the general interest of the people. Obasanjo was there for eight years, Bankole and Etteh have been there. What benefits have they brought to the South-West people or rather the Yoruba people? I have always been in the vanguard of condemnation of mainstream politics because we do not need it. Instead of blaming the presidency or the PDP, I believe our governors in the South-West are to blame. They should work together and act in unison on whatever concerns them and their people. We need government of national unity and it was Chief Bola Ige that mooted that idea in 1998. But Obasanjo has hijacked everybody. He did not exert any promise from Jonathan. Obasanjo believes it is only the PDP that owns the Yoruba race. My take is that until we sit down and jaw jaw on what is good for us, we are going nowhere.

“We need to fashion out strategy, after all Yoruba people say Osa boo le gba mi, se mi bi o se bami (If a god cannot protect me and my interest, it should better leave me as I was). The myth that surrounds Yoruba has been destroyed by Obasanjo. We can only re-invent it by coming together. Our problem in the South-West is that of ego. The political Arithmetic of Nigeria is so clear, so I do not have any regret for what has happened. Tambuwal is a fantastic guy. He is a member of the Body of Benchers. He has the support of his people and even the Action Congress of Nigeria voted for him. Adeola-Akande does not have the support of the leadership of the South-West. As far as I am concerned, the North has not lost anything.

“For eight years, Obasanjo and Bankole did not improve the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. Under Obasanjo, Yoruba lost heavily in the financial sector. So, why are we being sentimental? We should stop equating appointment of individuals with the interest of the generality of the Yoruba race. For several years, the Hausa people ruled, but have they added anything to the welfare of the Almajiris? Obasanjo constructed the Benin/Ore Road, but he did not do anything to his own place.

“Many are not there to serve their people, but themselves. Obasanjo came and was spineless. There was massive killing of the Yoruba in Jos, but the South-West governors kept quiet, saying that it was in the interest of national unity. Yoruba has suffered more than any other nationality in Nigeria.

“It is high time Yoruba people came together, and my suggestion is that eminent elders, who can command the respect of the Yoruba race, should convene a meeting. People like Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi, Bishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos , Olubadan of Ibadan, the Ansar-Ud-Deen Missioner, Professor Abdulrahman Ahmed, and other eminent religious and traditional leaders should convene a meeting urgently lest the race go into irrelevance.

“I have always said it that Obasanjo committed fundamental error with the Yoruba. He hates Yoruba with a passion. He was fond of appointing Minister of State for the South-West, where some other states have two or more substantive ministers. Obasanjo has never been a pretender. He said he never owed anybody any excuse”.

But former Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd), hailed members of the House of Representatives for electing Tambuwal. To him, they did a fantastic job.

Babangida specifically declared that members of the lower chamber of the National Assembly deserve commendation for putting the nation’s Constitution above other partisan considerations in the choice of their Speaker.

The Minna, Niger State-born former Military President reasoned that the bold move by the Representatives would further strengthen the nation’s democratic structures and entrench a culture of separation of powers.

Babangida maintained yesterday, in a statement issued on his behalf by his Media Spokesperson, Kassim Afegbua, that Tambuwal’s election has put an end to month-long scheming and manipulation.

He, nonetheless, commended the Upper Chamber for the endorsement of David Mark and Ike Ekweremadu as the Senate President and Deputy Senate President respectively.

The statement by the gap-toothed retired General reads: “From my retirement abode, I feel excited about the bold and courageous step taken by the National Assembly (Upper and Lower Houses) through a show of independence for electing their leaderships; Senator David Mark as Senate President for continuity of robust Senate policies and Hon. Aminu Waziri-Tambuwal as Honourable Speaker.

“The Lower House must be commended for putting the Federal Constitution above partisan interest in the election of the Honourable Speaker, putting to an end to a month-long scheming and manipulation.

“The bold moves of the House of Representatives will further strengthen our democratic structures and entrench a culture of separation of powers with its manifest checks and balances for a people-driven democracy.

“It is a wake-up call and the earlier the polity allowed this culture of separation of powers to flourish, the better it would be for participatory democracy.

“I therefore, congratulate both leadership of the National Assembly for being true representatives of the people. Well done. I salute your courage.

“Let me assure the leadership of the National Assembly of my unflinching support. I will be ready at all times to offer my advice in whatever little way for the sustenance of democracy, rule of law and stability of the system.

“The example that the House of Representatives has shown would go a long way to eliminate culture of impunity and executive interference into the internal operations and workings of the Legislature. It will promote sound debate and robust interaction amongst the lawmakers for the overall interest of the country.

“I have no doubt in my mind about the capability of Honourable Speaker Aminu Waziri-Tambuwal, to discharging his legislative duties with his irrepressible Deputy, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha. This combination will no doubt give Nigerians true and positive representation in the act of law making and stability of democracy.

“The leadership of the National Assembly is answerable to Nigerians, irrespective of political party affiliations, hence it is incumbent upon them to put the interest of the country at heart far and above pecuniary or party interest.

“At this time of our democratic journey, we must rise above petty sentiments and encourage nationalistic patriotism in our collective resolve to building sustainable and enduring democracy.

“We must insist on certain democratic principles that would continue to suit our peculiarities and multi-ethnic status as a plural country. We must not shy away from those ideals that have sustained our unity in the last fifty years.

“We have come a long way as a nation of different nationalities, hence we need to give support, encouragement and motivation to those who represent us at different levels in order to achieve our collective national objective.

“Let me specifically commend the leadership of my Distinguished Senator David Mark for the stability of the Senate and the Legislature in general. It is the hallmark of military discipline and deep sense of responsibility. And to Honourable Speaker Aminu Waziri-Tambuwal, you have my support always,” Babangida said.

In Abuja, the leadership of the PDP expressed its sadness over Tambuwal’s emergence.

According to the party, Tambuwal’s choice runs against the party zoning spirit and might be reviewed.

The party, in a six-paragraph statement signed by its National Secretary, Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje, condemned the action of members of the House of Representatives who voted for Tambuwal against the candidate of the party.

The statement reads: “The National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) notes with great concern the unfolding developments in the House of

Representatives, especially the outcome of the election of principal officers on Monday, 6th June, 2011.

‘While the party believes in, and indeed encourages the exercise of freedom of choice for all Nigerians, including members of the National

Assembly, it is important to reiterate that the principle of zoning is still an integral part of the PDP Constitution.

“The idea of zoning is a well thought-out philosophy for national stability and integration. It is the only guarantee that every segment of Nigeria enjoys a sense of belonging by being represented in all the decision-making organs of the government of Nigeria.

“Consequently, prior to the election of Principal Officers that took

place in the Senate and the House of Representatives on the 6th of June, 2011, the NWC, in collaboration with other decision-making bodies of our party, made spirited efforts to build a consensus around the zoning formula

“The NWC is currently consulting other organs of the party to re-assess the entire scenario and will come up with an appropriate policy in due course”.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7573:yoruba-leaders-angry&catid=308:headlines&Itemid=600

(1) (Reply)

… As Shehu Of Bornu Condemns Call For His Prosecution By Boko Haram / Privatisation: Senate Wants Sale Of Delta Steel Revoked / The Nigerian Connection On Al Jazeera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.