Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,915 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy (545 Views)

Operation Amotekun: Don't Blame Aare Ona Kakanfo If It Fails - Gani Adams / Please Blame The Lagos Warlord, Amosun Has No Fault- Tunde Ajose / Don't Blame The Nigerian System For Your Failure Or Else..- Atiku Attacks Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by freshkpomo(m): 10:20am On Nov 21, 2021
They call it survival instinct, but what I see is greed.

Did you wake-up and ask yourself why the price of commodities especially food keep going up? Most people are quick to jump on the government ( though they maybe right because Nigeria currently produce enough food that can feed triple of our population) but don't really talk about their individual contribution. I will use one case I have studied as an example, I believe many of you have noticed others too and can add.

1. TRANSPORTATION : I will be using these guys today as one of those who are not government but are worst and their greed has added to the increase we see in food prices today. A friend traveled to Abuja a week ago and told me he bought rice for less than 100 naira a cup, and matches for 10naira a box, but here in Benin a cup of rice in my Area goes for 150 and a box of matches 30 naira, if then pity you two boxes for 50 naira. I believe this price variation cuts across states. If we were to use standard of living, things ought to be more expensive in Abuja than in Benin, but why is it the reverse? Even garri we produce is expensive abi border still affect am?

A critical look, I realise that the cashing out actually begin with the drivers, these people charge outrageous bills and do it in a very rude manner that the frustrated women/sellers have no option than to put their frustration on what they sell. They charge for your seat, charge for your laps, charge for every single thing and these people have to go through this loop severally with arrogant drivers before getting it to their consumers, at the end they too have to make profit.

I don't hate the transport people but I think they are one of the most greedy people in the country and contributes massively to price hike. They exploit every little excuse, if rain fall a place of 150 automatically becomes 500 or more, when it's getting dark and there is a rush, a place of 50 naira becomes 200 and these people have no option but to just enter and get to their destination. You don't see then reduce prices when things are favourable but ate quick to cry out when it's not.

NB: This article was not written to condemn transporters as many will Percieve it, but it's a plea for us to look inward, make everybody nor say country Don spoil make we take our share of the spoil.
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by Topjo2021: 10:24am On Nov 21, 2021
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by Whobedatte(m): 10:26am On Nov 21, 2021
They pay outrageous fees for ticket
Motor park
Lassra
local government permit
Agbero permit
Owo youth
Police
Road safety and so on
So don't blame then

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by freshkpomo(m): 10:26am On Nov 21, 2021
During the previous government they cried that the hike in transportation was due to the high taxes paid, but at some point the current government did cut down all of it, but did that change anything? No it did not.
OK let's talk about fuel, when there is fuel scarcity or increase in pump price you see them quickly increase price including a majority who uses diesel. OK you feel Eiya, na, fuel cause am. Gbam, diesel goes up, you see same people increasing price again and crying ooooooooo diesel. If food prices is to start dropping it should begin with these men, they are the major link between producers and consumers.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by freshkpomo(m): 10:29am On Nov 21, 2021
2. UNION: this is another corrupt group, I won't really go into them. Share your views please. Together we can all do out little best and make things OK for everyone in the country.

3. POLICE : Ask me wetin concern these people and roger from people bringing their food stuffs to sell? All this will add to production cost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by Comedian2019: 10:49am On Nov 21, 2021
Stop police from collecting roger on the road, stop the nuisance called Agberos, road safety, vio, lastma, etc from extorting drivers, then see as transporters charge you half of what you're paying now.
As long as commercial drivers have these long list of criminals to grapple with, they must charge you whatever they deem fit.

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by skywalker240(m): 11:32am On Nov 21, 2021
Don't blame the drivers, most of the vehicles used to transport goods are diesel powered vehicles, mind you the price of diesel keeps going up

Now you know the greedy police will be at almost every Stone throw drive of a short distance to do nothing but collect Roger

Parts and maintenance of the vehicles is another factor, bearing in mind that parts and servicing fluids are costlier too,

Carrying goods along the stupid Nigerian road would even spoil their vehicles before the heavy good itself does

And then tickets ain't cheap like before

Then the union capitalize on these and boom they inflate the price

Don't even blame the women selling the garri either, they use the same diesel powered vehicles to carry their goods to the market,

The farmers are getting scarce, maybe due to the fear of those silly alakabum abokiis called Fulani herdsmen so who is courageous enough to risk his or her life won't sell the garri that cheap to the women.

As for Benin City though, i agree with you to some extent, even some days back i and my brother and his wife were having a argument about it

Benin trader's and driver's are over the bar point greedy

Cost of living in Benin is the worst in the whole south south states

Most times when am going home from work, I might be having 5 or 8k, but before i get to my house, I might be left with 800 or 1000 after most expenses on important and anonymous, most times the money won't even enter the house with me because it's already exhausted.

Benin City own na overdo
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by Kilotat: 11:32am On Nov 21, 2021
OP your Topic Should be : NIGERIAN'S SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT ENABLE CORRUPTION AND GREEDINESS!
Check my Signature

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:36am On Nov 21, 2021
freshkpomo:

A critical look, I realise that the cashing out actually begin with the drivers,
grin grin SMH undecided so whose duty is it to do something about it

The government or the people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by houseontherock: 11:39am On Nov 21, 2021
undecided
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by skywalker240(m): 11:41am On Nov 21, 2021
Kilotat:
OP your Topic Should be : NIGERIAN'S SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT ENABLE CORRUPTION AND GREEDINESS!
Check my Signature
Gbamest

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you

In order to meet up people starts indulging in illegal ways to make it.

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:47am On Nov 21, 2021
After blaming the past administrations, the oppositions were not spared! Nigerians were also blamed, then came the turn of the middlemen, what about the youths termed lazy Then came the turn of IPOB, It's now the turn of drivers! Whose turn will it be next

SMH Clueless regime

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by skywalker240(m): 12:01pm On Nov 21, 2021
freshkpomo:

I don't hate the transport people but I think they are one of the most greedy people in the country and contributes massively to price hike. They exploit every little excuse, if rain fall a place of 150 automatically becomes 500 or more, when it's getting dark and there is a rush, a place of 50 naira becomes 200 and these people have no option but to just enter and get to their destination. You don't see then reduce prices when things are favourable but ate quick to cry out when it's not.
I remembered One night after a heavy downpour, at zabayo junction close Mobil beside K ultra, the conductor was like ekewan/asoro/ugbihioko anywhere you drop 500, i told him along along, he said 500 anywhere you drop, omo i trek go house, i felt pity for those people who are going to ekewan barrack or even cassava village, I know they will pay 1000 or even 1500

Benin case is clear greediness, we know the road to barrack is nothing to write home about, but they are just too greedy

Trader's want you to finish the whole money you have on their store too, most times when you give them maybe 1000 they're like change no de oo, buy something join na (people that has been selling since morning ooo) if you are really in need of that stuff that night when there are no other stores on site, you would be left with no choice but to buy, small small na so the money de finish for your hands

Benin own is something else.

But the truth remains that the government of the day is to blame directly or indirectly, because the system abate corruption.

Will you tell me that the useless government is not aware of the increase in price?

What have they done about it?

What will they do when they know directly or indirectly they are the coperate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by poiZon: 12:21pm On Nov 21, 2021
freshkpomo:
They call it survival instinct, but what I see is greed.

Did you wake-up and ask yourself why the price of commodities especially food keep going up? Most people are quick to jump on the government ( though they maybe right because Nigeria currently produce enough food that can feed triple of our population) but don't really talk about their individual contribution. I will use one case I have studied as an example, I believe many of you have noticed others too and can add.

1. TRANSPORTATION : I will be using these guys today as one of those who are not government but are worst and their greed has added to the increase we see in food prices today. A friend traveled to Abuja a week ago and told me he bought rice for less than 100 naira a cup, and matches for 10naira a box, but here in Benin a cup of rice in my Area goes for 150 and a box of matches 30 naira, if then pity you two boxes for 50 naira. I believe this price variation cuts across states. If we were to use standard of living, things ought to be more expensive in Abuja than in Benin, but why is it the reverse? Even garri we produce is expensive abi border still affect am?

A critical look, I realise that the cashing out actually begin with the drivers, these people charge outrageous bills and do it in a very rude manner that the frustrated women/sellers have no option than to put their frustration on what they sell. They charge for your seat, charge for your laps, charge for every single thing and these people have to go through this loop severally with arrogant drivers before getting it to their consumers, at the end they too have to make profit.

Actually ur assertion is vague, null and void.

First all Nigerians including u the op is greedy.
The government of Nigeria is filled with nigerians and not foreigners unless u have proof..

Trying to blame Nigerians n not the government is like blaming the stove and not kerosene.

Transporters face hell in Nigeria.

From lagos to onitsha, there r more than 100 checkpoints along that corridor, extorting transporters from the little they collect.
Imagine paying each checkpoint 100naira, that is 10k because u comot for house wan find daily food.
I travelled from ph to calabar on the 8th of august, i went to aktc park but there was no bus to calabar, had to settle for a private car.
Na woman drive the car, person wife n mother, those police along east west road no even pity the woman, we passed more than 10 checkpoint for that road, each point collected 100naira, one checkpoint cease the woman's 500naira cos of change. The useless police man refused giving her change,he begin delay us.
So drivers or transporters aren't the issue, but govt.
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by poiZon: 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2021
freshkpomo:
During the previous government they cried that the hike in transportation was due to the high taxes paid, but at some point the current government did cut down all of it, but did that change anything? No it did not.
OK let's talk about fuel, when there is fuel scarcity or increase in pump price you see them quickly increase price including a majority who uses diesel. OK you feel Eiya, na, fuel cause am. Gbam, diesel goes up, you see same people increasing price again and crying ooooooooo diesel. If food prices is to start dropping it should begin with these men, they are the major link between producers and consumers.
Then govt should also have transporters working for them to bridge the gap and curtail bottlenecks in that sector, since the private owners r exploiting the system.
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by freshkpomo(m): 12:25pm On Nov 21, 2021
Wiseandtrue:
After blaming the past administrations, the oppositions were not spared! Nigerians were also blamed, then came the turn of the middlemen, what about the youths termed lazy Then came the turn of IPOB, It's now the turn of drivers! Whose turn will it be next

SMH Clueless regime

Must everything be PDP / APC in your eyes? Government is our major problem but these Government did not fall from the sky, as a matter of fact most Agbero were once bus drivers or conductors. These transport people are ruthless that's why when they get into one office them nor dey show mercy too.

I don't hate them, I have family and friends into transport business too and it's a lucrative business I will advise people to invest in. But the truth is they exploit every single things and it did not start today.

I have lived in and visited several states across Nigeria before I came up with this, the things is even worse in the south and I believe it's a contributing factor (Though not totally dependent) to the rise in price of commodities.

We all should consider each other in this country, Na beg we dey! This write up was not to condemn transporters as many will perceive it, but it's written for self reflection.
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by poiZon: 12:39pm On Nov 21, 2021
skywalker240:

I remembered One night after a heavy downpour, at zabayo junction close Mobil beside K ultra, the conductor was like ekewan/asoro/ugbihioko anywhere you drop 500, i told him along along, he said 500 anywhere you drop, omo i trek go house, i felt pity for those people who are going to ekewan barrack or even cassava village, I know they will pay 1000 or even 1500

Benin case is clear greediness, we know the road to barrack is nothing to write home about, but they are just too greedy

Trader's want you to finish the whole money you have on their store too, most times when you give them maybe 1000 they're like change no de oo, buy something join na (people that has been selling since morning ooo) if you are really in need of that stuff that night when there are no other stores on site, you would be left with no choice but to buy, small small na so the money de finish for your hands

Benin own is something else.

But the truth remains that the government of the day is to blame directly or indirectly, because the system abate corruption.

Will you tell me that the useless government is not aware of the increase in price?

What have they done about it?

What will they do when they know directly or indirectly they are the coperate
Apart from this, that border closure too affected everything.

Person wey sell garri knows he will buy rice or beans, how much is beans/rice today?
If u spend time cultivate cassava, harvest it after 8months, process it and sell 50kg at 3thousand. Can that 3thousand buy u a 25kg bag of rice or beans?
Garr i back then was cheap, dollar rate didnt affect price of garri, the only thing that affected garri price then was during planting season, garri eill be costly to some extent.
But today we don't even know when be planting season again, garri is now priced with forex condition.

Transportation isnt a problem in high cost of food in Nigeria, govt of all level r the cause.
Every local govt chairman wants to increase his revenue not minding how it is done.
Transporting goods from point A to B, u might pass thru 50 local govt areas, al those council areas must extort money from u.
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by StaffofOrayan(m): 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
Kilotat:
Check my Signature

End of discussion
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by freshkpomo(m): 7:06pm On Nov 21, 2021
Wiseandtrue:

grin grin SMH undecided so whose duty is it to do something about it

The government or the people

The Government were elected from the people, they are not Ghosts. Why do you think we keep having endless loop lf bad leaders? Things going from bad to worse?
Re: Don't Blame The Government Alone, Most Nigerians Are Greedy by skywalker240(m): 9:14am On Nov 22, 2021
poiZon:

Apart from this, that border closure too affected everything.

Person wey sell garri knows he will buy rice or beans, how much is beans/rice today?
If u spend time cultivate cassava, harvest it after 8months, process it and sell 50kg at 3thousand. Can that 3thousand buy u a 25kg bag of rice or beans?
Garr i back then was cheap, dollar rate didnt affect price of garri, the only thing that affected garri price then was during planting season, garri eill be costly to some extent.
But today we don't even know when be planting season again, garri is now priced with forex condition.

Transportation isnt a problem in high cost of food in Nigeria, govt of all level r the cause.
Every local govt chairman wants to increase his revenue not minding how it is done.
Transporting goods from point A to B, u might pass thru 50 local govt areas, al those council areas must extort money from u.
That's true

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get To OOU From Ijebu Ode Please / Ned Nwoko Accused Of Scamming African Leaders With 'White Elephant Projects' / Military Oil Vandalization In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.