Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Police Is Your Friend (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Police Is Your Friend (A Short Story) (637 Views)

More Than A Friend (a Short Story) / Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Is Your Friend (A Short Story) by Ghozky(m): 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2021
I know most Nigerians are conversant with how bad the Nigerian Police can be, but, there are very few stories, of how good they can also be and here's one of such stories.

Here's an encounter I had with the police in the year 2015. I had gone to Awka to do some bank transactions, on getting to the bank it was few minutes past 4:00 pm already, I begged the bank security man to let me in, but, he said he can't let me in, because it was passed banking hours and I had just requested for a new ATM card, about a week ago, so I couldn't use the ATM machine. The most frustrating part was I only had 100 naira left on me, I had come with little money with the hope of getting money from the bank, I felt really hurt because how can I have money in my bank account but couldn't access it? oh what a modern world�. To add more salt to my injury, my home Neni, was far from Awka, from Awka to Neni is about 25km, "how I wan take use 100 naira take reach Neni?" I asked rhetorically.
I braced myself up and reassured myself there will be a way out.
So I started my 25km journey, from Awka to Neni.
Na that day I trek from Access bank Zik Avenue branch, reach Amawbia, that's about 5km, while I was trekking many things were running through my mind, ..... should I beg this bus drivers so I could hang on their bus? should I beg random strangers for transport fare?, but I too get pride, to beg person for something dey hard me do. I just made up my mind to trek. 

As I got to Amawbia, there's this place called Ama Huasa, boundary between Nise and Awka. I met a police checkpoint with some policemen there. I made up my mind that I was going to ask them for help, I don't know where that courage came from, for a 17 year old Nigerian, most young Nigerians have phobia for police. I went to one of the officers, greeted him and told him about my predicament, his colleague asked him "wetin that boy dey ask u ?" he replied "him talk say him no get transport fare". "So na u wan come give am transport fare?" he asked while staring at me at the same time his eyes were on the road. His colleague replied "not really but I like the way him take approach me, e show say him get manners," he turned to me "don't worry just stand here, I'll do something about it" he reassured me. About 2 commercial bus passed but didn't want to help, then a motorcycle was approaching he then stopped the motorcyclist and asked him where he was heading, he replied "Ekwulobia", the police officer said "u go help me drop this boy for Agulu" and the motorcyclist agreed to drop me. I thanked the policeman, he replied "no wahala" and I climbed the motorcycle and we rode off.
I got to Nwaagu, Agulu where I alighted, the motorcyclist asked if the policeman was my dad and I said no, told him thank you and waved at him.

Finally I used 50 naira to board a keke From Agulu to Oye Neni and used the change to take a bike from Oye Neni to my house. I got home safe and sound, to the waiting arms of my grandmother, but I didn't tell her what I passed through.

This was how I was helped by people I'd never came in contact with, but the came to my rescue when I needed help the most. I felt relieved and happy, just imagine, how I could have trekked 25km about 4 hours by that time of the day, if I hadn't met a policeman , indeed Police is your friend.

Re: Police Is Your Friend (A Short Story) by dontrulee: 1:46pm On Dec 02, 2021
Na norms na.
Doesn't mean that the police is your friend.

(1) (Reply)

Hello / Ghostwriting And Isbn/barcode For Your Books In Less Than 24 Hrs! / Please Go(you Are Not A Friend)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.