Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,965 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System (9889 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Princess Adeola-Ogunwusi In Nigeria For Her Fathers Wedding / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by senator2b: 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2011
It will be good thing if they abolish this long over due culture but it will make more sense if the EZEs could give out their own immediate families hands in marriage to an OSU person first. I know wat i'm saying coz recently i was involved in an OSU girl and the only reason she could not marry me until now is the OSU stigma she has and even before now she has lost many suitor to this devilish culture, which prompted her not to want have anything to do with Igbo people can u be tat. sad angry
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by scholes0(m): 10:14pm On Jun 09, 2011
My god!!!
my best friend in high school had the surname ''Nwosu''//////// but he didnt bear it, and instead, preferred to be called Ezekiel. His cousin also had the surname ''Umeh''

Kai!!, so it is because they were Osu
No wonder many of them flee to the South West, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by udezue(m): 12:08am On Jun 10, 2011
@ Deadie, I am with u 100%. Okwu ghu kwu ezigbo oto. Classic M O R O N S indeed!!!!
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Roland17(m): 1:16am On Jun 10, 2011
@dede1
I have never been in support of that Shiiit(Osu), as for your question, we broke up last year, its been tough for both of us emotionally since then., she is really special to me.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ezeagu(m): 2:14am On Jun 10, 2011
akunta:
the Funny thing is that most of the so called "osu" are far better than the so called "free Born"

Actually it's not a funny thing, the whole idea of Osu is that they are dedicated to gods who provide them with the best of everything, including beauty, wealth, and fertility, people are simply not supposed to touch a deities property either by marrying them or living with them otherwise they say they will witness misfortune.

ifyalways:

The so-called Osu system and people exisit only in the cyberworld or in some poor man's head. . .

In the real world,2011,I without doubt believe that No such thing is pratised or obtainable anymore in Igboland.

Osu is still very alive.

Guyman02:

its no longer a big issue in Igboland. most of the so-called traditional rulers have no respect in their communities and with the proliferation of automous communities by subsequent PDP Govts, many of those who were once refered to as Osu are now traditional rulers themselves and occupy political positions on behalf of the S/E.

Like who?

Guyman02:

There is nothing much to be discussed on this thread. Most of those who grew with it as a taboo are rapidly dieing off to old age while the younger generation even get married in court in the cities before coming to the village to inform their families.

That's untrue, if you know Igbo rites, you would know that the mother of the groom and bride investigate their possible in laws before and maybe after marriage. Igbo children in the rural communities are still aware of who is osu and who is not.

senator2b:

It will be good thing if they abolish this long over due culture but it will make more sense if the EZEs could give out their own immediate families hands in marriage to an OSU person first.

Super liberal Zik of Africa tried abolishing it, and guess what? He failed because they asked him to marry his children to Osu and guess what happened?

scholes0:

My god!!!
my best friend in high school had the surname ''Nwosu''//////// but he didnt bear it, and instead, preferred to be called Ezekiel. His cousin also had the surname ''Umeh''

Kai!!, so it is because they were Osu
No wonder many of them flee to the South West, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Nwosu doesn't mean you're osu, maybe ask first before coming to conclusion and possibly insulting someone.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by CyberG: 2:39am On Jun 10, 2011
This OSU thing is one thing but for YOU so called enlightened NLanders to be talking this way, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointing! I  have not even commented here in a long time but it is just heartbreaking to see so-called enlightened, educated and young people still referring to this BS! The last thing which I do not care about and will never care about is if my friend is OSU, for bleeps sake! I have dated a LOT of Igbo chicks and nothing is different, they are all the same like the white ones, yellow ones! How can someone want to make this 1st century BS relevant till the earth enters its final century?? I have been to all the SE states and all the human beings are all the same, like everywhere else, why deny your pathetic selves of cute chicks every where because of this baloney?? angry angry angry angry
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 4:33am On Jun 10, 2011
Ezeagu, are you really going to spend your time attempting to explain this issue to those blinded by bullshit '21st-century' mentality?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ektbear: 6:13am On Jun 10, 2011
Hrm

So people who change their last names are probably osu? I know a few families like that who've changed to a christian last name.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 6:42am On Jun 10, 2011
Dede1:

I must state categorically that any form of ignorance displayed on this discuss comes from you. You are not only ignorant to the soul but deluded to the nature. You simply can not eat your cake and have it.

You elucidated two schools of thought that tend to contradict your goofy believes about the issue in question. If you publicly accepted the tradition, via your father as traditional ruler and freedom of religion which saw the creation of Osu and still call out those who cherish their religion and culture with moderations, I say you are yet to find your self. It is matter of delusion for you to remotely call Obama, whose grandfather was traditional ruler in Kenya, a slave.

Since you are a self acclaimed prince, thus you father is a traditional ruler as stated, I suggest you blaze the trail by marrying Osu from your autonomous community. It is very funny you wrote about education or lack thereof. Again, I resourcefully say you have no business talking about “education”. I am quite sure you are also deluded about the word-education. By the way, the secondary education I received from my forebears was to understand the dictates of Igbo culture and tradition. In fact, I did not need the four walls of European-styled curriculum to comprehend my space.

Whether you are an Osu or Diala, marriage requires stringent family background investigation unless you are such an imbecilic m.oron who would murder prudence on the altar of stupidity called anti-discrimination.  Nobody has stopped Osu from achieving personal goals in Igboland. Some of the Osu have become anything from school headmaster to governor in Igboland. Who is the fool talking about discrimination?

You are the biggest mo.ron if you do not understand the point I was making. Obama would have been a slave in today's America because he is black. Is that too difficult to comprehend?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 7:15am On Jun 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm
So people who change their last names are probably osu? I know a few families like that who've changed to a christian last name.
Actually, no. Not exactly. In fact, most name 'changes' are actually just the adoption of the first name of either one's grandparent or great grandparents' as the family last names (last names are a relatively new thing in our area, maybe three or four generations old [feel free to correct me if I'm wrong]). So, in the case of Christian names, the first name of the grandparents, or great grandparents, just so happened to be a Christian name (recent converts quickly and easily named their children Christian names), that the family then later adopted as a last name. In fact, thinking about it now, if people hadn't adopted their parents' parents' first names, then most people would be answering the names of their respective wards. A Christian last name likely has nothing to do with osu.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Guyman02: 12:31pm On Jun 10, 2011
ezeagu:

Actually it's not a funny thing, the whole idea of Osu is that they are dedicated to gods who provide them with the best of everything, including beauty, wealth, and fertility, people are simply not supposed to touch a deities property either by marrying them or living with them otherwise they say they will witness misfortune.

Osu is still very alive.

Like who?

That's untrue, if you know Igbo rites, you would know that the mother of the groom and bride investigate their possible in laws before and maybe after marriage. Igbo children in the rural communities are still aware of who is osu and who is not.

Super liberal Zik of Africa tried abolishing it, and guess what? He failed because they asked him to marry his children to Osu and guess what happened?
Nwosu doesn't mean you're osu, maybe ask first before coming to conclusion and possibly insulting someone.

Leave the great Zik alone and stop promoting the Osu rubbish; the new generation of Igbos have grown past your level of almajiri mentallity.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 1:10pm On Jun 10, 2011
deadie:

You are the biggest mo.ron if you do not understand the point I was making. Obama would have been a slave in today's America because he is black. Is that too difficult to comprehend?

It is very apparent that mad person would be the first to call a sane person mad. I must be ashamed to even reply to a post by an idiotic troll such as you. You are a latent dullard who would refer to Africans as “black” and still frown at Osu. It is beyond the pale of comprehension to identify an individual with hue yet a nincompoop indulged.

It is only in the figment of your deluded imagination that every African in USA would be regarded as slave. Why would Obama be termed a slave? Is his Irish American mother or Kenyan father a slave? It is a moronic slowpoke such as you would jump to such idiotic postulation.   

Osu is a machination of unfortunate circumstance and I am glad such practice has been terminated in Igbo land. It is wasteful thing to run your putrid mouth when a punk such as you could not break the stigma in your autonomous community where you loftily claimed a father as  “king”. It is not unfortunate a jerk such as you have not pronounced your intention to marry Osu. You can not even engage your self acclaimed royally father in civil and harmless discussion of Osu issue talk less of proposing to one

If you can not possibly marry Osu to backup your irrelevant rant on Internet, I urge you to shut the hell up.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 1:21pm On Jun 10, 2011
Roland17:

@dede1
I have never been in support of that Shiiit(Osu), as for your question, we broke up last year, its been tough for both of us emotionally since then., she is really special to me.

I have serious aversion for fence sitters such as you. You simply want to eat your cake and have it. If you did not support the Shiiit (Osu) as you would want us to believe, you should have rubbished the tradition and culture by marrying the girl. You have spoken like those who would talk the talk only.

My people say “when a person is shouting my people are coming back from market it is appropriate to inquire if the shouter’s offspring is among those coming back fom the market”.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by lakal(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2011
For people who explain Osu as a "cultural" issue -- so we should still be killing twins since it was once part of our culture? Rubbish. People who are in support/unwilling to change this mindset should not talk about any kind of discrimination, ridiculous
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 3:51pm On Jun 10, 2011
Why are people even bothering with these blind-minded 'this-is-21st-century' people? You know, there is one thing we must understand, and that is that there are some topics in which no amount of explaining will change anything. This is one of those.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by lakal(m): 4:03pm On Jun 10, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Why are people even bothering with these blind-minded 'this-is-21st-century' people? You know, there is one thing we must understand, and that is that there are some topics in which no amount of explaining will change anything. This is one of those.

Aren't you Ngwa? I thought that they didn't practice Osu.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2011
I am, and you are correct, we don't.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 4:06pm On Jun 10, 2011
Of course, Osu was born out of tradition/culture/religion and has been terminated along with the killing of twins. Nobody in Igbo land indulges in the practice of tradition/culture/religion that saw Osu among us or partake in killing of twins today.

Marriage in Igbo land is not between the principals alone but the community. I still insist that choice of whom a person wishes to marry is not discriminatory. In my community, Osu has ascended to the chairmanship of the town’s development union and he was not discriminated.

Talking about discrimination, it is an essence of human nature and should remain as long as human beings walk the surface of earth. Whether you are Osu or Diala in Igbo land, you could be rejected as a suitor for other reasons than Osu or Diala.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by lakal(m): 5:13pm On Jun 10, 2011
Dede1:

Of course, Osu was born out of tradition/culture/religion and has been terminated along with the killing of twins. Nobody in Igbo land indulges in the practice of tradition/culture/religion that saw Osu among us or partake in killing of twins today.

Marriage in Igbo land is not between the principals alone but the community. I still insist that choice of whom a person wishes to marry is not discriminatory. In my community, Osu has ascended to the chairmanship of the town’s development union and he was not discriminated.

Talking about discrimination, it is an essence of human nature and should remain as long as human beings walk the surface of earth. Whether you are Osu or Diala in Igbo land, you could be rejected as a suitor for other reasons than Osu or Diala.

I think that is true for some people. But unfortunately, it still seems to be an issue for many. I am not Igbo, but I love the cu;ture, have many Igbo friends, understand the language somewhat. And I have seen an actual situation in the U.S. where an engagement was terminated when it was discovered that the girl was an Osu. For no other choice or credential alone, but for something her forefathers did. Craziness.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2011
lakal:

I think that is true for some people. But unfortunately, it still seems to be an issue for many. I am not Igbo, but I love the cu;ture, have many Igbo friends, understand the language somewhat. And I have seen an actual situation in the U.S. where an engagement was terminated when it was discovered that the girl was an Osu. For no other choice or credential alone, but for something her forefathers did. Craziness.

Any unfortunate hand, such as Osu, dealt to us by circumstances beyond our control can not be easily swept under the rug. I would love to see these loudmouthed punks throwing abuses on the Internet to actually marry Osu unless they are Osu. The funny thing is Osu will stop at nothing to marry Diala. Should such Osu be accused of discrimination?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by dempeople(m): 6:26pm On Jun 10, 2011
This stuff is a part of Igbo culture we should all frown upon. It belongs to the past!
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 7:02pm On Jun 10, 2011
Dede1:

It is very apparent that mad person would be the first to call a sane person mad. I must be ashamed to even reply to a post by an idiotic troll such as you. You are a latent dullard who would refer to Africans as “black” and still frown at Osu. It is beyond the pale of comprehension to identify an individual with hue yet a nincompoop indulged.

It is only in the figment of your deluded imagination that every African in USA would be regarded as slave. Why would Obama be termed a slave? Is his Irish American mother or Kenyan father a slave? It is a moronic slowpoke such as you would jump to such idiotic postulation.   

Osu is a machination of unfortunate circumstance and I am glad such practice has been terminated in Igbo land. It is wasteful thing to run your putrid mouth when a punk such as you could not break the stigma in your autonomous community where you loftily claimed a father as  “king”. It is not unfortunate a jerk such as you have not pronounced your intention to marry Osu. You can not even engage your self acclaimed royally father in civil and harmless discussion of Osu issue talk less of proposing to one

If you can not possibly marry Osu to backup your irrelevant rant on Internet, I urge you to shut the hell up. 

You are a latent dullard who would refer to Africans as “black” and still frown at Osu.

Africans are White, right? In South Africa for instance, how do you differentiate Africans from European settlers? They are not called European South African's, they are are called Whites, and the Africans blacks. Hope that has sunk into your thick skull.

It is only in the figment of your deluded imagination that every African in USA would be regarded as slave. Why would Obama be termed a slave? Is his Irish American mother or Kenyan father a slave?

Again, you reveal your poor level of understanding. In my original post, I said if slavery still existed in the US, Obama would be a slave. So African's living in the US weren't slaves? Were biracial children in the US during the slave era not treated as one? I doubt you know a thing about slavery.

Osu is a machination of unfortunate circumstance and I am glad such practice has been terminated in Igbo land.
Oh really, it has been terminated? So why are the royal fathers meeting and why are we having this conversation?

It is wasteful thing to run your putrid mouth when a punk such as you could not break the stigma in your autonomous community where you loftily claimed a father as  “king”.

Again, you typify your poor level of understanding. Where in my posts did I refer to my father as a King? I guess you do not know the meaning of a traditional ruler.

How exactly do you know that?

You seem to be confused frankly. One post, you sound like you support the system and the next you like it is an injustice that exists no more. It is wrong, and can never be justified.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 7:06pm On Jun 10, 2011
Dede1:

Any unfortunate hand, such as Osu, dealt to us by circumstances beyond our control can not be easily swept under the rug. I would love to see these loudmouthed punks throwing abuses on the Internet to actually marry Osu unless they are Osu. The funny thing is Osu will stop at nothing to marry Diala. Should such Osu be accused of discrimination?

Yeah, this is coming from someone who said Osu has been terminated in Igbo land. Is is denial or are you just too d.umb to remember your own stance on issues?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 7:07pm On Jun 10, 2011
See these 'progressives'; all talk.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 7:16pm On Jun 10, 2011
ChinenyeN:

See these 'progressives'; all talk.

You live in your little world and need to suffer discrimination. I read your posts and it is sad to know that young people still support this system. Tell me, what makes you different from an Osu? If you think bad aspects of culture should not be discarded, then why are we no longer killing twins? It is a shame young people with this kind of mentality bears human DNA. I thought evolution would have taken care of this.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 7:19pm On Jun 10, 2011
Ngwa, marry osu now, so that we can finally have peace, or will heaven and earth not rest until you all talk us to death? Oh, ye 'progressive'. If you actually understood this Osu issue, then trust me, you would not be making these comments that you're making now.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ngwa, marry osu now, so that we can finally have peace, or will heaven and earth not rest until you all talk us to death? Oh, ye 'progressive'. If you actually understood this Osu issue, then trust me, you would not be making these comments that you're making now.

Whites enslaved our forefathers because they took them to be less human. Tell me, I still don't get it, what exactly did the Osu's do, or what do we take them as that has outlived slavery? What are their sins that is beyond redemption? Please, educate me. And did I mention to you, I am a true believer of Igbo culture. This has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, which I have little or no believe in.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 7:45pm On Jun 10, 2011
deadie:

Whites enslaved our forefathers because they took them to be less human. Tell me, I still don't get it, [b]what exactly did the Osu's do, or what do we take them as that has outlived slavery? What are their sins that is beyond redemption? [/b]Please, educate me. And did I mention to you, I am a true believer of Igbo culture. This has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, which I have little or no believe in.
I am truly tempted to say that you have no idea whatsoever what Osu is.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 8:17pm On Jun 10, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I am truly tempted to say that you have no idea whatsoever what Osu is.

Exactly, that is why I asked you to educate me on the subject.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Elpieda: 8:21pm On Jun 10, 2011
WOW and all this is the reason why Nigeria was and is and probably will remain BACKWARDS and underdeveloped,

OSUNa wa, Too much FLinstones is causing this.

Thank you God for sending Jesus,
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 8:44pm On Jun 10, 2011
@deadie

I do not cross words with latent fools such as you. If certain cross-section of South Africans allowed themselves to be identified wrongly, then every loudmouthed nincompoop such as you should accepted it.

I guess your so-called royal father still practices the rituals that gave rise to Osu. Presently, the act of slavery does not exist in USA yet it does not remove the fact that certain African Americans are publicly proclaimed as sons, daughters, grand and great grandchildren of slaves. In fact, these African Americans will voluntarily inform any ear that they are of slave parentage. 

There is no doubt a dumbarse such as you can not afford a wife I would have urged you to marry an Osu.  Anybody who thinks Osu can be wished away is a compound fool.

"Let me start by saying that I am not an Osu or Umeh or whatever. My dad is a traditional ruler who is in support of the Osu caste system. I remember having a discussion with him once about it, which ended up making him really mad."

The above crap in bold came from you. If a dullard such as you could not have a harmless discussion on a subject matter such as Osu with you so-called traditional ruler father, I seriously doubt if you could muster the courage to convince anybody to befriend Osu talk less a jackass such as you proposing to one
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
I've done enough explaining in my own lifetime, so I'll save myself the trouble of explaining and point you in a good direct. A good place to start would to read Ezeagu's responses to certain posters' comments, in this very topic. Then read through these topics:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-195145.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-428447.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-578138.0.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? / The Younger Nigerian Man And The Older Woman: / 13. Odu Otura Meji- Fear God And You Will Succeed As A Leader Of Men!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.