Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps (1960 Views)

Toyota Camry Pencil (1997) Consumes Fuel A Lot / Camry Sports 09 Front Bumper And Headlamps Needed / Mercedes Benz Introduces Headlamps With Over A Million Pixels Of Illumination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by ping2ping: 8:24am On Nov 23, 2021
Hello house.

I have this Toyota Camry 1999. The headlamp is so poor that i hardly see at night with it. I have used other cars but this Camry is just not bright enough.

I bought LED headlight but that didn't solve the problem. Again i ordered another bulb from Ali Express which is what i am using now. That one seem marginally better than the others but not good enough still. I cannot move at night with the car especially if the road is single lane.

Please anyone with solution to headlamp issue of Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] should please let me know here. If there is a particular type of bulb i need to buy because that headlights are clear enough, not like is dirty.

Thanks for all your help
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 23, 2021
The problem might be with the reflecting surface and not the glass. You may have to polish it.
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by melviniyke2002(m): 9:28pm On Nov 29, 2021
Buy factory new headlights
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by seyema(m): 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2021
Abeg, link to the bulb you bought from aliexpress pls, I might manage that one.

TO the topic, I've decided never to drive at night with that car due to the same problem you are experiencing
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by Ahmad62(m): 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2021
Polish your car headlamp glass or consider installing fog lights on your car too
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by amedualiyu(m): 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
I drove that car in the night for 5 years and i just have to manage it like that. After all, that is why it`s called TINY LIGHT
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by omakay(m): 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2021
amedualiyu:
I drove that car in the night for 5 years and i just have to manage it like that. After all, that is why it`s called TINY LIGHT

The 'TINY LIGHT' alias for the model is based on its rear lights and not the front lights.

1997 to 1999 models go as 'TINY LIGHT' while the 2000 to 2001 model go as 'DROP LIGHT' or 'TINY BIG'.

If you compare the front lights of all 5 models, you will see that they are all of the same resemblance.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by temmym4(m): 11:42pm On Dec 01, 2021
You are not alone on this bro.
I previously own the pencil/tiny light and one of the issue i encountered was the weak lighting which is a design flaw for that vehicle, if u checkout the bulb housing, you will find out it uses 2 pairs of H4 bulbs (one for each side) this single H4 bulb does the work of high and low beams which in my own opinion is a weak lighting design.

2001 camry a.k.a Droplight on the other hand just like most modern cars has 4 different housing/socket for bulbs (2 at each sides) seperately for high and low beam which also work all together when you have your high beam on. That's twice the light of the other camry (pencil)

Now imagine having an extra 2 Led bulbs added to the one u currently have totalling 4. Brighter light isn't it.

The headlamp upgrade on 2001 camry (drop light) compared to the older 1997-199 camry (pencil) isn't just a child's play.

Mind you, cleaning your headlamp wont really solve it, it will only get a little better but you ll still have to slow down or even park when cars with stronger lightning system are coming towards you. Some drivers due to either ignorance or wicked.ness will refuse to dim their lights for you even when you send them a signal u are finding it difficult to see beyond (some amat.eur drivers don't get the message anyway)

The only solution is attaching extra lamps/ fog lights in front of your bumper, personally i feel it makes cars quite ugly but you have to learn to live with it if u want better lights.

Some people go as far as upgrading the front bumper and headlamps to that of the 2001 Camry to get better lighting on pencil light

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by ping2ping: 10:04pm On Dec 04, 2021
temmym4:
You are not alone on this bro.
I previously own the pencil/tiny light and one of the issue i encountered was the weak lightning which is a design flaw for that vehicle, if u checkout the bulb housing, you will find out it uses 2 pairs of H4 bulbs (one for each side) this single H4 bulb does the work of high and low beams which in my own opinion is a weak lightning design.

2001 camry a.k.a Droplight on the other hand just like most modern cars has 4 different housing/socket for bulbs (2 at each sides) seperately for high and low beam which also work all together when you have your high beam on. That's twice the light of the other camry (pencil)

Now imagine having an extra 2 Led bulbs added to the one u currently have totalling 4. Brighter light isn't it.

The headlamp upgrade on 2001 camry (drop light) compared to the older 1997-199 camry (pencil) isn't just a child's play.

Mind you, cleaning your headlamp wont really solve it, it will only get a little better but you ll still have to slow down or even park when cars with stronger lightning system are coming towards you. Some drivers due to either ignorance or wicked.ness will refuse to dim their lights for you even when you send them a signal u are finding it difficult to see beyond (some amat.eur drivers don't get the message anyway)

The only solution is attaching extra lamps/ fog lights in front of your bumper, personally i feel it makes cars quite ugly but you have to learn to live with it if u want better lights.

Some people go as far as upgrading the front bumper and headlamps to that of the 2001 Camry to get better lightning on pencil light

Thanks bro for that comprehensive input to this. Yes cleaning the headlamp would do very little to improve the lighting. Just like you said, it was a design flaw.

On your suggestion of fixing extra light on the bumper, any idea of a type to fix? Picture will really help. However I feel if you fix it on the bumper it may not cover longer distance but I may be wrong.

I saw someone that fixed Xeon lamps, it came with something i call booster (I don't know if that's the real name). When you put on the headlamp, it gradually gets brighter and brighter until it gets to its fullest. But it cost N15k or thereabout.

I wouldn't know if the headlamp of 2000-2001 (droplight) can properly fit in to 1997-1999 (tiny light) without changing the bumper??

More suggestions will be welcomed
Re: Toyota Camry 1997-1999 [aka Pencil] Headlamps by ping2ping: 10:15pm On Dec 04, 2021
I found a similar thread on Toyota forum. We are not alone in this poor lighting issue of Camry 1997-1999:

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/1997-camry-do-any-headlightbublbs-help.1291809/

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Know Your Car Interior / Who Has This Car For Sale? / Advise- 2007 Honda CRV Vs 2007 Toyota Rav4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.