Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme (17987 Views)

Suspected Lagos Robbers Kelechukwu, Godspower Busted With Stolen SUV / Soldier, Adegor Okpako Committed Suicide (Graphic Photos) / Adegor Okpako, Soldier, Commits Suicide In Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by HonNL: 9:37am On Nov 24, 2021
More than seven years in prison and then likely deportation is the fate of a Nigerian citizen who with his wife admitted laundering nearly $1.9 million obtained by making false pleas for money on social media.

Jabin Godspower Okpako, 36, of Sayre, was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. Middle District Judge Matthew W. Brann to 7 years, 3 months in prison followed by three years’ supervised release.

Deportation proceedings likely will prevent him from serving his supervised release, court officials said.

Earlier this year Okpako and his wife, Christin Bradley Okpako, 54, of Sayre, a U.S. citizen, pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering through mail and wire fraud.

Her sentencing that was scheduled Tuesday was continued because his attorney had a conflict in another venue.

The Okpakos preyed on women throughout the country ages 55 to 85 who visited on-line game, relationship and dating websites.

They cultivated online relationships through texts, instant messaging and the exchange of pictures and then induced them to send or transmit money for fictitious reasons including personal crisis.

The Bradford County couple received and deposited $1,898,046 between January 2016 and June 2019 and then wire transferred the funds to Ube Peace, a woman in Nigeria.

It is disturbing the mastermind of the scheme in Nigeria likely will never be prosecuted, said defense attorney Kyle W. Rude, who described his client as a “money mule.”

It is also unlikely any of those who lost money will be made whole, he said.

Okpako, who was a civil engineer in Nigeria before coming to the United States, claimed he was deceived by his long-time boss in Nigeria into participating in the conspiracy.

“I never once even considered or thought that I was a committing a crime or the consequences my actions would have,” he told Brann.

He attributed that to a lack of understanding along “with my own greed and ambition to rise above the hardships of my childhood.” He wanted to be the one to bring his family out of poverty, he said.

Noting “the land of opportunity has closed its doors on me,” Okpako said he has no one to blame but himself.

Assistant U.S. Attorney George J. Rocktashel called Okpako a “regular player” in the scheme.

He knew where the money was going as he and his wife went to multiple banks sometimes more than once on the same day, he said.

The government has identified 19 victims who in total lost $440,950, the prosecutor said.

One woman lost $50,000, he said. Other individual losses his listed included $41,900, $41,000, $35,000, $35,000 and $23,000.

Brann, who found Okpako had an instrumental role in the scheme, ordered restitution of the $440,950 payment of which is to be shared with his wife after she is sentenced.

Okpako also must forfeit $28,820 in U.S. currency seized during a May 2, 2019, search of his home.

[url=https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pennlive.com/crime/2021/11/nigerian-sentenced-to-prison-in-a-nearly-19m-money-laundering-scheme.html%3foutputType=amp]SOURCE [/url]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by Akakanfirstclass(m): 9:53am On Nov 24, 2021
Fraud news relating Nigerians is now a norm and very regular..

Only thing outstanding about this particular news is that..

Okpako, 36
Okpako's wife, 54...

Almost two decades difference...

This can also qualify as a long distance relationship tho'
grin

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by paulolee(m): 9:58am On Nov 24, 2021
see money....him don try abeeg...na legend
Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by Maxymilliano(m): 10:07am On Nov 24, 2021
“I never once even considered or thought that I was a committing a crime or the consequences my actions would have,” he told Brann.

He attributed that to a lack of understanding along “with my own greed and ambition to rise above the hardships of my childhood.” He wanted to be the one to bring his family out of poverty, he said.

He will sure enjoy some of the proceeds after deportation back to Nigeria ... Except EFCC steps in and arrest the picker, Ube Peace.

4 Likes

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by temitope27(m): 10:16am On Nov 24, 2021
Okpako grin the name sef get k-leg

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by yorubakid: 11:34am On Nov 24, 2021
Afonjas with their fraud, hope they won't export their ritual killings and head hunting to the USAshocked shocked

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by inoki247: 11:34am On Nov 24, 2021
NCAN abg d name no clear abg epp us check well e dey blur undecided undecided

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by treatise: 11:34am On Nov 24, 2021
Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by QuickStandard: 11:34am On Nov 24, 2021
How are people always falling for scammers is beyond me...

They never learn?
Is it greed or what?
Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by NoFucksToGive: 11:34am On Nov 24, 2021
Okpako is Ekiti name i think grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by NwaNimo1(m): 11:34am On Nov 24, 2021

1 Like

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by brainpulse: 11:35am On Nov 24, 2021
Okpako, 36
Okpako's wife, 54...

Fraudulent Husband and wife,
Fraudulent Family
Fraudulent tribe

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by Penguin2: 11:35am On Nov 24, 2021
Name checkers are confused grin

No one knows if Okpako is Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa grin

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by smartasuen(m): 11:35am On Nov 24, 2021
This is not news!
Tell us something new pls.

1 Like

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by brosom(m): 11:35am On Nov 24, 2021
All for the grand

1 Like

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by KingAzari: 11:35am On Nov 24, 2021
Choi!
Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by smartasuen(m): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2021
NoFucksToGive:
Okpako is Ekiti name i think grin

No o, it's Ghanaian Igbo name

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by BigYash: 11:37am On Nov 24, 2021
Akakanfirstclass:
Fraud news relating Nigerians is now a norm and very regular..

Only thing outstanding about this particular news is that..

Okpako, 36
Okpako's wife, 54...

Almost two decades difference...

This can also qualify as a long distance relationship tho'
grin

Fraud is everywhere in the world. Why Nigeria own dey loud like horn speaker for media,na em me no know.. China dey run am,US,Russians etc.. But you no dey see am for media,like niaja own.
Not supporting fraud in anyway sha. If you are into fraud, comot hand o.. Them no catch you today,no mean say them no go catch you later... Shalom!

3 Likes

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by KarlWest(m): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2021
Hmmm!

This name sounds like those IPOB people but they will be putting the blames all day on Innocent Nigerian citizens.

If na good thing now, this article would have been flooded with some meaningless comments like ; Ndi Igbo, Biafra, Igbo Amaka blah blah blah!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by GodHatesBigots(m): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2021
Penguin2:
Name checkers are confused grin

No one knows if Okpako is Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa grin

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by athaboi(f): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2021
Cool
Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 24, 2021
Do the crime, pay the time.
Re: Jabin Godspower Okpako Jailed In US In A Nearly $1.9M Money Laundering Scheme by AfonjaConehead: 11:39am On Nov 24, 2021
Mugu is in the States and cannot hussle!!! What a shame!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Commits Suicide In India / Kidnapper Evans Obtained Ghanaian Passport As Asare Nelson (Photos) / Man Commits Suicide By Jumping Into A Well In Delta State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.