Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! (883 Views)

How Do I Upgrade My Phone To Android 10 / Pls Help I Can't Upgrade My Tecno Spark K7 / Who Know How I Can Upgrade My Mtn Sim To 4g With Temporary Voter Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Wynd44: 7:53pm On Nov 25, 2021
Hello house! Good evening
Without wasting your time, I want to upgrade my laptops ram
It’s currently having 8 gigs of ram, and it’s been slowing down a lot of late and I can’t run after effects or primeire pro on it

So I checked and realized I can just upgrade my ram from 8gb to 32gb, and that’d at least help out my situation a bit

Ps I have 2 ram slots

Now my qiestions are
1. What type of ram am I buying exactly, cause I can see there are different types. The one in my system presently is the SODIMM varient
2. How much will it cost me to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb or if I choose to go all the way to 32gb?
3. Is there any important thing I need to know before doing this?

My PCs specs

Core i3-7100u 2.4gHz
Intel HD 620 Graphics card

I do some after effects with a bit of 3D as well as photoshop and Pr pro. I work with 720p and 1080p footage a lot so I need more ram

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by truthCoder: 6:26am On Nov 26, 2021
Wynd44:
It’s currently having 8 gigs of ram, and it’s been slowing down a lot of late and I can’t run after effects or primeire pro on it

So I checked and realized I can just upgrade my ram from 8gb to 32gb, and that’d at least help out my situation a bit

Ps I have 2 ram slots

Now my qiestions are
1. What type of ram am I buying exactly, cause I can see there are different types. The one in my system presently is the SODIMM varient
2. How much will it cost me to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb or if I choose to go all the way to 32gb?

My PCs specs

Core i3-7100u 2.4gHz

I do some after effects with a bit of 3D as well as photoshop and Pr pro. I work with 720p and 1080p footage a lot so I need more ram

Thanks!

What is the exact name of your laptop?

Provide more details about your type of disk. Hard disk or SSD?
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Wynd44: 8:48am On Nov 26, 2021
truthCoder:

What is the exact name of your laptop?

Provide more details about your type of disk. Hard disk or SSD?

Inspiron 15-3567 boss
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by faithfull18(f): 10:48am On Nov 26, 2021
But why is your RAM slow nah grin . On a serious note, you can do 32gb, probably 2, 16gb RAM sticks. Last time, I got 4gb, it was about 4k or so, can't say much about pricing.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by truthCoder: 12:53pm On Nov 26, 2021
Wynd44:

Inspiron 15-3567 boss

your system takes DDR4 and allows for varying speeds. You have two RAM banks.

You can either buy another 8gb and add to it (making 16gb). However, your current RAM seems to be the slower version.

You can decide to buy two new sticks of 16gb each making 32gb. The cost is around N40,000 each making 80k. Is this upgrade worth it or it is better getting a more powerful system with say an i7 processor and selling this particular rig?

i personally would prefer to get a system with a minimum of i7 for the tasks plus ensure it's an SSD.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 1:10pm On Nov 26, 2021
16GB ram no reach 40k oga especially DDR4. I bought my DDR4 8GB on Aliexpress for 12k.

@OP check your RAM info, If you wanna get an 8GB or 16Gb ram to add to the ram you already have on your system you have to make sure the Frequency match with the one on your system. mine was 2400MHz DDR4. How to check Ram info on windows? i don't know I use Linux smiley so check google for that one.
truthCoder:

your system takes DDR4 and allows for varying speeds. You have two RAM banks.

You can either buy another 8gb and add to it (making 16gb). However, your current RAM seems to be the slower version.

You can decide to buy two new sticks of 16gb each making 32gb. The cost is around N40,000 each making 80k. Is this upgrade worth it or it is better getting a more powerful system with say an i7 processor and selling this particular rig?

i personally would prefer to get a system with a minimum of i7 for the tasks plus ensure it's an SSD.

1 Like

Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by truthCoder: 1:21pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:
16GB ram no reach 40k oga especially DDR4. I bought my DDR4 8GB on Aliexpress for 12k.

@OP check your RAM info, If you wanna get an 8GB or 16Gb ram to add to the ram you already have on your system you have to make sure the Frequency match with the one on your system. mine was 2400MHz DDR4. How to check Ram info on windows? i don't know I use Linux smiley so check google for that one.

you bought Aliexpress DDR4 and you think you have gotten DDR4?

lol
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 1:22pm On Nov 26, 2021
Your point?
truthCoder:

you bought Aliexpress DDR4 and you think you have gotten DDR4?

lol
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Randerl: 1:23pm On Nov 26, 2021
Wynd44:

Ps I have 2 ram slots

Now my qiestions are

My PCs specs

Core i3-7100u 2.4gHz

Thanks!

Which One Do You Want, Select.

2 Likes

Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by truthCoder: 1:34pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:
Your point?

N12,000 is around 20 USD.

Even if angels did your delivery with free shipping and no duties, you got junk.

The guy uses a laptop that is less than 5 years old and which costs around 545 USD on Amazon today (N300,000.00 without shipping).

The cheapest crucial 16gb DDR4 RAM is 50usd to 70usd. Other good brands are priced in that direction.

To make matters worse, the chips scarcity in the international market is driving the prices up, not down.

Just because you bought junk doesn't mean you should advise others to.

PS
Below is a link on jiji that shows current offers from different sellers for different kinds of DDR4 (both junk, used and new) and none of them is offering for N12,000.

www./search?query=ddr4%2016gb

EDIT: link is breaking...just search on jiji yourself.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 1:59pm On Nov 26, 2021
truthCoder:

Just because you bought junk doesn't mean you should advise others to.
Lol, I have been using the Junk for 2 years+ now with no complaint smiley
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by truthCoder: 2:06pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:

congratulations...

Humour me and share a link to an OEM 16gb DDR4 that costs 20usd or less with delivery to OP.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 2:17pm On Nov 26, 2021
This is the one I bought though I think the price has changed a little bit.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001565013201.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.59194c4dps1PG7
truthCoder:

congratulations...

Humour me and share a link to an OEM 16gb DDR4 that costs 20usd or less with delivery to OP.

Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by truthCoder: 4:34pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:
This is the one I bought though I think the price has changed a little bit.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001565013201.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.59194c4dps1PG7

from your site, list price is $115 (N63,250) but with black friday, it is available with a 54% discount so at $52.90 (N29,000).

All these without shipping....and it is still not an OEM.

It is still not N12,000 as you claimed.

Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 4:37pm On Nov 26, 2021
I was talking about the 8GB i bought
truthCoder:

from your site, list price is $115 (N63,250) but with black friday, it is available with a 54% discount so at $52.90 (N29,000).

All these without shipping....and it is still not an OEM.

It is still not N12,000 as you claimed.

Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Dollywood(m): 6:14pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:

Dude, my laptop actually came with a 8gb DDR3, do you think I can change it to 16GB ddr4 like you did, I'm new to this and I don't know precisely how it works or which specifications are required for compatibility.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 6:24pm On Nov 26, 2021
It would have to be ddr3 cause ddr4 wont enter that slot. They look the same but it actually differs. You would also have to check how m uch ram your system can take max.
Dollywood:

Dude, my laptop actually came with a 8gb DDR3, do you think I can change it to 16GB ddr4 like you did, I'm new to this and I don't know precisely how it works or which specifications are required for compatibility.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Dollywood(m): 6:27pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:
It would have to be ddr3 cause ddr4 wont enter that slot. They look the same but it actually differs. You would also have to check how m uch ram your system can take max.

Didn't change yours from ddr3 to ddr4? My system could take 16gb max.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Deicide: 6:29pm On Nov 26, 2021
Nope
Dollywood:

Didn't change yours from ddr3 to ddr4? My system could take 16gb max.
Re: Want To Upgrade My RAM! Need Help! by Dollywood(m): 6:31pm On Nov 26, 2021
Deicide:
Nope

Oh I get you now.

(1) (Reply)

My CarlCare experience / Iphone 11 For Sale / Stopping Unsolicited Sms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.