Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance (6181 Views)

Ruling On A Woman Putting Her Picture On Social Media / Reminder: Ruling On Congratulating Non Muslim On Their Festival Celebration / Islamic Ruling On Blowing Oneself Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Lukgaf(m): 7:58am On Nov 26, 2021
If you are reading this, then I assume you are a member of an insurance company paying premiums either forcefully or willingly. But as a Muslim, have you ever wondered whether it is permissible in Islam? In this thread, I present an excerpt from IslamQA rulings on health insurance and all kind of insurance.

Praise be to Allah.

Commercial insurance of all types is haraam, whether it is life insurance, health insurance or insurance of one’s property. But it is permissible to deal with it in two cases:

1.When a person is forced to do so, such as if he is forced to take out insurance on his car or a company forces its employees to take out health insurance. In that case the sin is on the one who forces people to do that.

2.When a person is compelled to take out health insurance or he is in great need of it because he is not able to cover the cost of treatment from his pocket without having insurance. This is a need which makes it permissible to deal with health insurance according to a number of scholars, because the reason for the prohibition on this insurance is the ambiguity and the element of gambling, not riba. When it is like that, it is permissible in the case of need.

The nature of the ambiguity is that the individual pays money but does not know whether his benefiting from medical services will be equal to that or more or less.

Some types of insurance are based on both ambiguity and riba, such as life insurance, where the individual pays instalments and does not know how many they will be, in return for a known sum of money that is more than he paid.

Among those who are of the view that health insurance is permissible in the case of need are: Dr. ‘Ali Muhiy al-Deen al-Qurrah Daaghi, Dr. ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Saalih al-Atran, Dr. Yoosuf al-Shubayli and Dr. Khaalid al-Du‘ayji.

Among the statements of the scholars that what is forbidden because of ambiguity is permissible in cases of need are the words of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him):

The same applies to ambiguous transactions, which are a kind of gambling, but some types may be permissible in the case of need and where it serves a clear interest.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 14/471

And he (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Ambiguous transactions are forbidden because they are a kind of gambling which may lead to consuming people’s wealth unlawfully. But if that is countered by a greater harm, that makes it permissible so as to ward off the greater of two evils by putting up with the lesser. And Allah knows best.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 29/483

He also said: The evils caused by ambiguous transactions are less than those caused by riba, therefore a concession is granted when there is a need, if the prohibition on ambiguous transactions may cause greater harm than the transaction itself. Examples include sales of property, even if you do not know what is inside the walls or foundations, and sales of pregnant or suckling animals, even if you do not know the size of the embryo or the amount of milk, and even though it is forbidden to sell what is in the uterus on its own or the milk on its own (separate from the animal), according to most scholars. Another example is selling crops after it is clear that they are going to be good (although there cannot be absolute certainty), which is permissible according to the Sunnah. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) allowed the buyer of date palms that had been pollinated to stipulate that they should bear fruit, so he bought crops before there was any sign that they would be good, but that was on the basis of buying the origin (i.e., the trees). Thus it becomes clear that in cases of mild ambiguity (when the ambiguity pertains to that which is secondary to the original item) it is permitted to do what is not permitted in other cases.

End quote from al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 4/21

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/170654/health-insurance-and-the-ruling-on-working-in-the-insurance-department-of-the-hospital

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 26, 2021
.....Ambiguous transactions are forbidden because they are a kind of gambling which may lead to consuming people’s wealth unlawfully. But if that is countered by a greater harm, that makes it permissible so as to ward off the greater of two evils by putting up with the lesser. And Allah knows best.

...i have only #1000 and my rent is due in 2weeks, if i dont pay up my pregnant wife and little children would be ejected to the streets so should i take a gamble with my last #1000?

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Lukgaf(m): 9:18am On Nov 26, 2021
12rev:
.....Ambiguous transactions are forbidden because they are a kind of gambling which may lead to consuming people’s wealth unlawfully. But if that is countered by a greater harm, that makes it permissible so as to ward off the greater of two evils by putting up with the lesser. And Allah knows best.

...i have only #1000 and my rent is due in 2weeks, if i dont pay up my pregnant wife and little children would be ejected to the streets so should i take a gamble with my last #1000?

No. That's over generalisation of the context

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by AntiChristian: 9:19am On Nov 26, 2021
12rev:

We ask Allah to grants us wealth and good health for us to be able to avoid these and other haram deeds. Gambling is haram. You should have planned ahead. Get a job no matter how small. Why is it only Gambling that interests you?

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols etc) and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful”
[al-Maa’idah 5:90]

6 Likes

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 26, 2021
Lukgaf:

No. That's over generalisation of the context
It may appear so but not. Maybe you should explain how its different.
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 26, 2021
AntiChristian:

We ask Allah to grants us wealth and good health for us to be able to avoid these and other haram deeds. Gambling is haram. You should have planned ahead. Get a job no matter how small. Why is it only Gambling that interests you?

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols etc) and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful”
[al-Maa’idah 5:90]
Interests me? My interest is knowing the truth and reality. Like from the passage you just quoted what makes alcohol different from cigarettes? Are'nt both capable of intoxicating?

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by chinchonglee(m): 10:39am On Nov 26, 2021
Rubbish archaic rulings...

Health insurance is haram

Better live based on reality, forget all these rubbish faith.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by YoobaNesan: 10:43am On Nov 26, 2021
I understand the op that want to resort to betting....the thing has been going on in my mind quite now
Are there not rich people here that can lend someone money?
Staying by the rules of Allah this time is becoming a rocket Science.
Please I need someone to lend me money and I pay back within six months....I no want do Yahoo abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 26, 2021
Drella:

How about ruling of not forgiving erring members by cutting their hands, legs and head?

How about ruling on forcing islam down people's throat and killing those who don't accept?

How about ruling on child marriage and paedophilia?

How about ruling on women fully covering themselves but men free to open their faces,heads,hands and legs?

How about ruling on terrorism and meeting 72 virgins in heaven?

These people should just go extinct abeg!!
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by ephemerallife: 11:19am On Nov 26, 2021
Drella:

How about ruling of not forgiving erring members by cutting their hands, legs and head?

How about ruling on forcing islam down people's throat and killing those who don't accept?

How about ruling on women fully covering themselves but men free to open their faces,heads,hands and legs?

How can a sane person utter this lengthy gibberish with pride and confidence. Your mumu is congenital and legendary. You really need help

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Donmorph1991(m): 11:41am On Nov 26, 2021
I understand that you are confused about Islamic religion, anyways all you asked have right answers that will enlighten your mind
Also, there are some that are not a Muslim ways that it’s just a fabrications from enemies of peace
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 26, 2021
Drella:

Everything u type is rubbish, if u have knowledge about someone else religion then why are u ignorant about yours,

Like or hate Islam is here to stay, irrespective of what u think about ISLAM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by AutoC: 1:12pm On Nov 26, 2021
Surayj123:

Everything u type is rubbish, if u have knowledge about someone else religion then why are u ignorant about yours,

Can you Explain qouran chapter 9 verse 111 for us please...I want ti learn

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by motayoayinde: 4:32pm On Nov 26, 2021
Drella:

HOW ABOUT YOUR "CHRISTIAN WEST" FORCING HOMOSEXUALITY DOWN THE WORLD'S THROAT?

HOW ABOUT YOUR "CHRISTIAN WEST" INVADING MUSLIM COUNTRIES, RAPING THEIR WOMAN, TERRORIZING THEIR MEN AND STEALING THEIR RESOURCES WITH BRUTE FORCE JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN?

HOW ABOUT YOUR CHRISTIAN WEST TURNING TO ATHEISTS, ABANDONING CHRISTIANITY IN DROVES, SO MUCH SO THAT THERE'S HARDLY ANY CHRISTIAN MAJORITY COUNTRY IN THE WEST TODAY?

HOW ABOUT REALIZING THAT ISLAM IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM BUT ATHEISM THAT'S THREATENING TO WIPE OUT YOUR RELIGION?

HOW ABOUT REALIZING THAT IN SPITE OF YOUR DESPICABLE PRESENCE HERE AND YOUR CHILDISH RANTS, ISLAM MARCHES ON AND IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE?

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 27, 2021
motayoayinde:

HOW ABOUT YOUR "CHRISTIAN WEST" INVADING MUSLIM COUNTRIES, RAPING THEIR WOMAN, TERRORIZING THEIR MEN AND STEALING THEIR RESOURCES WITH BRUTE FORCE JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN?

HOW ABOUT YOUR CHRISTIAN WEST TURNING TO ATHEISTS, ABANDONING CHRISTIANITY IN DROVES, SO MUCH SO THAT THERE'S HARDLY ANY CHRISTIAN MAJORITY COUNTRY IN THE WEST TODAY?

HOW ABOUT REALIZING THAT ISLAM IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM BUT ATHEISM THAT'S THREATENING TO WIPE OUT YOUR RELIGION?

HOW ABOUT REALIZING THAT IN SPITE OF YOUR DESPICABLE PRESENCE HERE AND YOUR CHILDISH RANTS, ISLAM MARCHES ON AND IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE?
Homosexuality is quite rampant among your muslim countries, even when they openly talk against it, they still practice it. Other countries are simply Liberal enough to allow their citizens the right to sexual preference. Sexual preference has nothing to do with religion, it's all about the mind. No one is forcing anything down to anyone throat.

Religion blackmail is a great sin in this 21st century, and as a literate it's something you must teach people around you to frown against. Which Christains country is raping which muslim country?.... You are deliberately spreading falsehood, a poison to people's mind, and let me tell you, it's a sin to the humanity.

Nigerian constitution for an instant gives us Right to Expression, Conscience and Religion. You can explore any kind of religion that suits your conscience, it's not a sin instead a liberation to explore your mind. I'm a Deist, a natural law person, and I can tell your mind is fill of filth, you don't respect other people religion. What is wrong with atheistism?.... If christainity is allowing people to explore other religion without cutting their head off, then don't that speak volume?.... Ask yourself

ATHEISTISM or any form of free thinking is not the trouble of this earth. It's you, Christains, Muslims that are the problem. You people have shed enough blood because of your respective religion, your ego, enough blood to paint earth red. Religion is a cancer to Humanity. When you die you'll be striped off the tag of religion. You'll be left to be just like you were when your were born. Without any ideology, without nothing, to meet your Maker, with your sins in a platter.

Islam will continue to progress, Christainity will March on too. But you people pollution to earth will not go... You people ideology will continue to make earth grey. Compare Syria, Gaza, Palestine, Israel, and other religion war torn countries to China, a communist government and tell yourself the truth.
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by motayoayinde: 9:17am On Nov 27, 2021
Doradorwa:
Homosexuality is quite rampant among your muslim countries, even when they openly talk against it, they still practice it. Other countries are simply Liberal enough to allow their citizens the right to sexual preference. Sexual preference has nothing to do with religion, it's all about the mind. No one is forcing anything down to anyone throat.

Religion blackmail is a great sin in this 21st century, and as a literate it's something you must teach people around you to frown against. Which Christains country is raping which muslim country?.... You are deliberately spreading falsehood, a poison to people's mind, and let me tell you, it's a sin to the humanity.

Nigerian constitution for an instant gives us Right to Expression, Conscience and Religion. You can explore any kind of religion that suits your conscience, it's not a sin instead a liberation to explore your mind. I'm a Deist, a natural law person, and I can tell your mind is fill of filth, you don't respect other people religion. What is wrong with atheistism?.... If christainity is allowing people to explore other religion without cutting their head off, then don't that speak volume?.... Ask yourself

ATHEISTISM or any form of free thinking is not the trouble of this earth. It's you, Christains, Muslims that are the problem. You people have shed enough blood because of your respective religion, your ego, enough blood to paint earth red. Religion is a cancer to Humanity. When you die you'll be striped off the tag of religion. You'll be left to be just like you were when your were born. Without any ideology, without nothing, to meet your Maker, with your sins in a platter.

Islam will continue to progress, Christainity will March on too. But you people pollution to earth will not go... You people ideology will continue to make earth grey. Compare Syria, Gaza, Palestine, Israel, and other religion war torn countries to China, a communist government and tell yourself the truth.

"ATHEISTISM"?

WHATEVER THE HECK THAT MEANS.
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Drella(m): 12:40pm On Nov 27, 2021
ephemerallife:
How can a sane person utter this lengthy gibberish with pride and confidence. Your mumu is congenital and legendary. You really need help

If you are sane too,you would have countered what I typed.
Since you couldn't,that means I was right!
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Drella(m): 12:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
Surayj123:

If I am wrong,counter me!
Why did you think I left islam undecided
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 27, 2021
Drella:

If I am wrong,counter me! Why did you think I left islam undecided

U left Islam bcus u didn't have knowledge about Islam
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Drella(m): 1:16pm On Nov 27, 2021
motayoayinde:

Your post reeks of childishness such that, you hardly made a point.

1.Nobody is forcing homosexuality on anybody.All they want is their liberty to practice their sexual orientation.They are not telling anyone to join them.

2.This is a pure lie.Only an abnormal christian will live in a muslim country,let alone fighting them.The average muslim is hostile to non muslims,let alone a christians commiting such atrocities... They will behead them all in the twinkle of an eye!

3.What's your business with whoever decides to abandon christianity?How does that affect you?

4.You know nothing about atheism so don't use that word again!
Atheist don't believe in God,so they leave religion for those who believe in God.They have no business with religious folks.So I don't know where your school of thought is coming from.

5.I realized that but should it stop me from saying the truth?

As you can see,I successfully countered your insinuations.Unfortunately,you couldn't counter mine which proves me right!
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Drella(m): 1:17pm On Nov 27, 2021
Surayj123:

U left Islam bcus u didn't have knowledge about Islam

Agreed!

But since you refused to counter me,it means I'm right!
Re: Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 27, 2021
motayoayinde:

"ATHEISTISM"?

WHATEVER THE HECK THAT MEANS.
My mind was full of words this morning so I created a new word.... Do you have a problem with that?

(1) (Reply)

The Mumayiun (most Dangerous Of The Enemy Of Muslims) / Imam Ash-shafi'ee: The Grand Jurist For The Sunnah / Islam Ruling On Selling Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.