Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,342 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

Baba Suwe: Exit Of A Comic Legend - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Baba Suwe: Exit Of A Comic Legend (431 Views)

Meet Baba Kekere Of Oyo Kingdom Who Served 3 Past Alaafins For 77 Years / Exit Of An Icon. Chief Sir Chief Anthony Chukwudi On The Cover Of Royal Diamond / Shahida Sanusi, Abdul Baba Ahmed, Her Husband And Their Daughter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Baba Suwe: Exit Of A Comic Legend by okefranci: 4:45am On Nov 27, 2021
Many who had followed Baba Suwe’s story would most likely admit that it didn’t come as a surprise when his death was announced on Monday, November 22. As it were, the grim reaper had on few occasions winked at the legendary comic actor since he lost his grove and bubbly old self as result of the health challenges he battled within the twilight of his life in 2019 and 2020 until he passed on. Even before his death, mischief makers had made this jolly good fellow a victim of death through rumours.
But heartwarming it is and in true appreciation of his acting skills and memory, fans of the late thespian have been paying tribute to him since his demise. Baba Suwe, born Babatunde Omidina, was best known for the comic role he played in scores of movies – including those he produced. Mourning him has taken shades of reminisces for the actor who catered for Nigeria’s households viewing pleasure with his performances.

A senior media colleague in a post on his Facebook page must have captured the thoughts and minds of many. With his short but evocative tribute to the late Nollywood thespian, who was popular for his theatrics, he wrote that many grew up loving comedy, because Baba Suwe was an active player in the entertainment industry. “You dictated the pace, carved a niche, defined your style and set a standard eligible only for raw talents.” Baba Suwe was naturally gifted and truly made many smile and sometimes, laugh to stupour.
He had his definition for everything and created his own lexicon as trademark. “Put succinctly, you stood out from the lot”, the colleague added. “The last two times I saw you, I prayed God to give you peace and rest and I think that prayer has just been answered. We certainly won’t forget you, Baba Suwe. An era comes to a deserving end.” True to him, Baba Suwe was thoroughly exemplary and unique for having a definition for everything and created his own lexicon which made it his bouquet of trademarks.
Witty and energetic, Baba Suwe was a delight to watch on the screen during his heyday. As one of the most iconic Yoruba actors, producer, theatre practitioner, humour merchant, Baba Suwe brought laughter and joy to homes. Until his success streak was dimmed some years ago when he was held at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos, by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on suspicion of drug trafficking. He was suspected to have ingested several wraps of cocaine and was kept under surveillance by the agency for three weeks.
With the assistance of his lawyer, the late Bamidele Aturu, a human rights activist, the allegation was described as false and defamatory by the ruling of a Lagos High Court. The court ordered his release and instructed the NDLEA to pay him N25 million as compensation. His fans and supporters cheered him as he left the court building after the hearing.

In 2013, the Appeal Court struck out the compensation ruling, insisting that the anti-narcotic agency violated no law in keeping Omidina in custody all through the investigation period. The actor had said in interviews that the experience crippled his health. His health would become a public discourse in 2019, when friends solicited funds for his medical treatment. Through the generosity of well-meaning Nigerians like Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Billionaire Femi Otedola and Reverend Esther Ajayi, amongst others, he was flown to the United States for the treatment of diabetes and other ailments. He returned to the country a month later.
Until his death, Baba Suwe’s regret was that he did not receive the N25 million compensation court ordered the NDLEA to pay him. He lamented in a report that the death of Bamidele Aturu, his lawyer, was a blow to efforts toward getting the compensation. “If my lawyer, Bamidele Aturu, was still alive, I will have got my compensation a long time ago because he is a good lawyer. He is also a compassionate person. The man was nice. When we were in court, he really tried. If he was alive, I would have been compensated,” he had said.
In 2019, he also echoed his regret of not getting the compensation and cried out during an interview while soliciting funds to enable him to access good health care. “After all this, I haven’t received the N25 million compensation. Please don’t let me die this way. I can’t lie, see how I am looking,” he had said. “I slumped when I travelled and was admitted for about three weeks. They asked me if I was trafficking cocaine and I said no. I was examined and they didn’t see anything. After that, I requested to return to Nigeria.
After returning to Nigeria, I tried to walk on my own but I was staggering; that’s how I started using the walking stick. When I returned to America, they said I needed to do surgery and that it would cost a lot. When I approached people, they said they didn’t have money so I couldn’t raise as much money as I needed. I need help from my fans so that I can take care of myself.” The ace actor eventually passed on this week at 63 after a long battle with an undisclosed illness. Baba Suwe was born on August 22, 1958, at Inabere Street, Lagos Island. He hailed from Ikorodu LGA in Lagos state.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/11/27/baba-suwe-exit-of-a-comic-legend

Re: Baba Suwe: Exit Of A Comic Legend by okefranci: 4:53am On Nov 27, 2021
The Youruba artistes really missed a gem ,a comedian and someone who really make them laugh

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Things To Know About The Late Alaafin Adeyemi III / Native Wear And Accessories Available!!! / Ikwerre USA Annual Convention 2022 (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.