Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,371 members, 7,812,091 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

How Relevant Is Linux - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Relevant Is Linux (4822 Views)

Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is Linux by purplekayc(m): 3:26pm On Nov 29, 2011
@black.rules

please tell them oooooo , that windows is just unrel;iable it can fu****k you up @ the right time freezes and crashes
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 29, 2011
i cant believe someone just asked that, nairaland, facebook, google, twitter etc runs on linux
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by classmark: 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2011
Linux is very relevant if you are Telecoms Engineer, or you are considering a career in the industry.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by chmod777: 11:03pm On Nov 29, 2011
my dear, your world-Nigeria may not have the relevance for linux. In the world where I live, from university to research institutes, to start-up companies, to big technology companies who develop, or implement or design systems, Linux is the answer.
You hardly find windows.
The truth is that if you want o understand technology u are using or developing, then forget windows. It mighty sound like an add but I give u an instance,
Did you know that the TCP/IP which allows u communicate on internet is a protocol (program) which u can tweak to get a different feel, which u can edit its mode of operation . Perhaps this sounds strange.

Please visit the Scandinavia, , home of Nokia, Ericsson, Skype, Volvo, Scania, Tandberg, etc etc etc AND MOST IMPORTANTLY the home of LINUX TORVALD, the founder of Linux. I will welcome u to my home , think about it
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by chmod777: 11:11pm On Nov 29, 2011
webdezzi:

i cant believe someone just asked that, nairaland, facebook, google, twitter etc runs on linux

OS Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
Linux nginx/1.0.9 26-Nov-2011 x.x.x.186 Oluwaseun Osewa

F5 BIG-IP unknown 27-Nov-2011 x.x.x.11 Facebook, Inc

Linux gws 27-Nov-2011 x.x.x.99 Google Inc.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 3:27am On Nov 30, 2011
^^^^
Stop demeaning Windows. If you are a programmer you should leave that issue out of it. Most would write packages for Windows than Linux based systems if that where you are headed. Tweaking is not the relevance of Linux which Windows can as well do with many packages which are compatible with it are abundantly available.

I personally, find it humorous when people jump into conclusion to say Windows is not as relevant as Linux. The reason why Linux based systems are more in use in the server side of things is that it is cheap and commands are readily issued to achieve some tasks. Whereas these are done in Windows with third party packages or packages created by Microsoft, which cost extra money.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by stiyke(m): 7:32am On Nov 30, 2011
Fedora core 16 here, Linux all the way. Though there are few winblows apps that you may not find an equivalent for in linux but i have never regretted dumping winblows, benefits of running linux on laptop desktop and especially as server is so much. The only computer in my domain running winblows is my wife's , women love flashy things.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by chmod777: 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^
Stop demeaning Windows. If you are a programmer you should leave that issue out of it. Most would write packages for Windows than Linux based systems if that where you are headed. Tweaking is not the relevance of Linux which Windows can as well do with many packages which are compatible with it are abundantly available.

If personally, find if humorous when people jump into conclusion to say Windows is not as relevant as Linux. The reason why Linux based systems are more in use in the server side of things is that it is cheap and commands are readily issued to achieve some tasks. Whereas these are done in Windows with third party packages or packages created by Microsoft, which cost extra money.

I am sorry u are naive. u only see within what ur world covers. have u been in any R&grin in EU or the US, how relevant is Windows in those areas.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 2:51am On Dec 01, 2011
^^^
That's where you are missing the point. Using few American corporations to judge the relevance of these software is as ridiculous as statement without proper balance. How relevant is Linux? That's the question! We know why it is widely used in server based systems, that is for some reasons, it is cheaper, simple manageability and cost effective - not because of the tweaking idea  you are alluding to here. In the personal computers Windows still rules and their server is also popular, though, not popularly use by many corporations as Linux.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by alexis(m): 11:05am On Jan 09, 2012
@all4naija

You are right, currently windows still is the dominate in the PC market. That been said, it is gradually losing market to MACs and linux variants like ubuntu and mint . It's similar to the web browser war that started a few years ago when Internet explorer was the dominant browser but for the last couple of years is losing it's position to firefox and google chrome. Unix/Linux is dominate in the server world not because it is cheap but because it out-performs Windows as a server platform and it's open-source. People are seeing that linux can do it in the PC market as well and it's slowly getting there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

✈✳✅ SOLD ❌❌❌ silver Colored Dell Inspiron 5447 /ram-8gb / 1tb Hdd Keyboard Light / What Is The Difference Between A VPN And A Proxy Server / Pls How Do I Use My Nokia E63 As A Modern For My Desktop Cmp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.