Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,904 members, 7,835,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food (6325 Views)

Buhari’s Agric Policy Fails As Unemployment, Agribusiness Failures Rise / Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize / Free Agric Training And Empowerment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by GreenArrow1(m): 7:15am On Nov 29, 2021
lexy2014:

Who do the universities report to?

Still missing the points of my submission?
My first post on this thread simply stated that the blame does not lie squarely with the top echelon of the government on this particular subject matter!
Also, it was a case of a head of government calling on a sub -strata of his government to do better. Simple.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Attit: 7:18am On Nov 29, 2021
Aboguede:
Unfortunately over 80% of the youths are below poverty line and many dont have access to basic amenities and not sure of their 2 week food talk less less of being able afford $500 which they can invest with or start at all

They have money to get on Twitter if you check. And from statistics, they have at least N100 to N1,000 to gamble everytime there is football match. Am I wrong? This is a clue that there is solution, but they are just lazy and keep blaming government. No one who is successful government has helped to be. Govt helps only those they can benefit from and those ones are the already successful ones. I dont understand why every one struggling keeps on depending on government when it has been shown without reasonable doubt govt does not have your back. The same probability of success most failure have is the same successful people have. It's a topic for another day.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Attit: 7:33am On Nov 29, 2021
Cantonese:

The universities have seed banks. I believe that they work with the respective ministries of agriculture in the states where they are located.
Having seeds banks is different from having standard seed banks. I know what they have is not quality. Period. If not, we will be producing seeds.

Now, without funding, how can they move forward? How can they turn their knowledge into reality when lands where they should put these things to practice are destroyed and overrun daily by herdsmen?
How will herdsmen disturb research? Is research done in the bush? Or do you know what you are saying? That's there are herdsmen does not mean researches should stop.

Also, you dont generalize. As far as I know, herdman attack grain farms. There is no single vegetables farm I have heard herdmen attack. If you know, tell me. So, why then are vegetables farmers failing back to back. Production of food from SW, SS, SE is not up to 5% of what we have from the north. Remove herdsmen, south is under producing while population is building exponentially. So, using herdsmen as the main reason for unproductive in the south is a bloody useless excuse. I am talking from reality. If the whole north cuts of the south, and no herdmen trouble, there will be farming in the land. So, it is still a comfortable state having herdsmen trouble than sending off the northerners. Think about this.

I'm not supporting herdsmen, but just telling you the reality. But can the herdmen do without south? Nope. Allah Metti or whatever its called is bluffing. They will suffer. This is what the south is relying on. But the day south moves to farm, that's check mate for the north. But we keep giving excused not to farm. Southerners have many excuses in the past to not go to farm, herdmens is just an addition.

Talking about funding, get rid of corruption first, and them we can talk of funding. No one will fund corrupt people. Everyone in Nigeria is already corrupt. Do you think the lecturers will not loot the funds? Lol. One naija professor with the DNA of corruption was privileged to get funds as a professor in the US. The guy diverted it into gambling and spending for girls. The guy went to jail. Will the guy go to jail in Nigeria? Think about this..

The way forward remains with the FG. First they must provide adequate funding for researches, training and planting. Next they must provide security.
This is the way to failure. Keep relying on FG and get poorer. Have you every seen anyone who relies on the government of his nation to be successful? Federal govts help those they can benefit from all over the world. Trump moved into oil and it boomed in his days. Bow, Buden has shifted to somewhere else and oil people know their days are numbered.

Your grand parents depended on FG and nothing happened. Your parents complained about FG and appealed to them, noting happened. Now, you are attacking and bullying FG hopingyou can pin them to a corner. Lol. It's a joke on you. Why do what keeps not working. From history, only less than 1% are wealthy. Just that the standard of living of the average man of developed nation is higher than that of underdeveloped. But it's almost the same ratio of the poor to the rich everywhere. Why? Governments help more productive people with proven record. How do you get such record? That's on you. Else, you will keep nagging. Meanwhile, 6 ft people approached everyone daily.

Goodluck!
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by fineboynl(m): 7:38am On Nov 29, 2021
From operation feed yourself the blame have been shift to university.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Mokason288(m): 7:50am On Nov 29, 2021
System202:

U are very useless. Foolish from the looks of things u are either ipob or ritual
Your father is both

At bolded
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Crafteck1: 8:05am On Nov 29, 2021
Cos una don make farming safe abi, even roads no safe talkless of forest.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by KillerBeauty(f): 8:14am On Nov 29, 2021
Start by giving their graduates interest free loans to start up their farms or processing plants. And tackle insecurity so that they can farm in peace. Set up policies to ban importation and smuggling of locally produced items.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Martinola(m): 8:19am On Nov 29, 2021
The perfect definition of failure and uselessness
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Cantonese: 9:07am On Nov 29, 2021
Attit:

Having seeds banks is different from having standard seed banks. I know what they have is not quality. Period. If not, we will be producing seeds.

How will herdsmen disturb research? Is research done in the bush? Or do you know what you are saying? That's there are herdsmen does not mean researches should stop.

Also, you dont generalize. As far as I know, herdman attack grain farms. There is no single vegetables farm I have heard herdmen, you dont generalize. As far as I know, herdman attack grain farms. There is no single vegetables farm I have heard herdmen attack. If you know, tell me. So, why then are vegetables farmers failing back to back. Production of food from SW, SS, SE is not up to 5% of what we have from the north. Remove herdsmen, south is under producing while population is building exponentially. So, using herdsmen as the main reason for unproductive in the south is a bloody useless excuse. I am talking from reality. If the whole north cuts of the south, and no herdmen trouble, there will be farming in the land. So, it is still a comfortable state having herdsmen trouble than sending off the northerners. Think about this.

I'm not supporting herdsmen, but just telling you the reality. But can the herdmen do without south? Nope. Allah Metti or whatever its called is bluffing. They will suffer. This is what the south is relying on. But the day south moves to farm, that's check mate for the north. But we keep giving excused not to farm. Southerners have many excuses in the past to not go to farm, herdmens is just an addition.

Talking about funding, get rid of corruption first, and them we can talk of funding. No one will fund corrupt people. Everyone in Nigeria is already corrupt. Do you think the lecturers will not loot the funds? Lol. One naija professor with the DNA of corruption was privileged to get funds as a professor in the US. The guy diverted it into gambling and spending for girls. The guy went to jail. Will the guy go to jail in Nigeria? Think about this..

This is the way to failure. Keep relying on FG and get poorer. Have you every seen anyone who relies on the government of his nation to be successful? Federal govts help those they can benefit from all over the world. Trump moved into oil and it boomed in his days. Bow, Buden has shifted to somewhere else and oil people know their days are numbered.

Your grand parents depended on FG and nothing happened. Your parents complained about FG and appealed to them, noting happened. Now, you are attacking and bullying FG hopingyou can pin them to a corner. Lol. It's a joke on you. Why do what keeps not working. From history, only less than 1% are wealthy. Just that the standard of living of the average man of developed nation is higher than that of underdeveloped. But it's almost the same ratio of the poor to the rich everywhere. Why? Governments help more productive people with proven record. How do you get such record? That's on you. Else, you will keep nagging. Meanwhile, 6 ft people approached everyone daily.

Goodluck!

“Having seed banks is different from having standard seed banks”. Are you trying to play politics with this? How do you differentiate between a “seed bank” and “standard seed bank”? What are those things that a “standard seed bank” can achieve which “seed banks” cannot achieve? Remember that you initially brought the suggestion of seed banks.

If bushes and farms are not part of research sites, where else? Bedrooms? Note that we are talking about the FG’s requirement from universities of agriculture.

You have completely at some points digressed from the issue discussed and sought to politicize or make it look as if we are at war.

We are first Nigerians and what troubles one part, takes away the peace of the other. The security crisis, worse as it is in the north, affects the rest of the nation, physically, emotionally and financially.

...herdsmen attack grain farms”. You are joking right? I am just hearing that cows eat grains! In all my years I have never heard this. If cows eat grains, what happens to the crops, like cassava and yams that are dug up and fed to cows? What happens to the vegetables and grasses around them? They just vanish into thin air? If that was the cause, why then would farmers cry? Why then would herdsmen take over people’s farms?

..south is under producing”. Does the north produce to its capacity? South produces less than 5% of the north. More jokes right? Now has the food produced in the north wiped away the abject poverty unnecessarily suffered by the larger percentage of the people of the north? Have you compared the land mass and population between the two? We are told that Kogi state alone is bigger than the entire south east. How do you expect yields to be the same? By the way, when you talk about the north, do you forget that the north also comprises of people of the south who live and work there? Same goes for the south, who have people of the north living and working there.

..southerners gave excuses not to go to farms”. Your comments amaze me. All over this country no reasonable farmer ever gave excuses to avoid work. If everyone is screaming insecurity in their farms, who do you expect to have his head taken off as a lesson to others? I suggest that you take your time away from your air conditioned apartment and visit a farm attacked by herdsmen. Thereafter you can tell us the story.

May I ask you the reason why we stand on long queues, weather conditions irrespective and vote for political leaders? Why do we pay taxes? Are political leaders not expected to run our economy effectively? Is it not the role of the FG to provide grants to these universities? Are these universities not funded by governments? Does the FG not reserve the right to arrest and prosecute corrupt university officials who misuse their grants? Does the FG adequately fund the universities? If so why do lecturers go on strike frequently? Who provides the infrastructure for a proper society? Is it your responsibility or mine to build roads? Government has the duty of providing the enabling environment for trade to thrive. Do not be deceived bro.

The simple truth is that our common wealth gets looted in this country by the few who we vote into power. Corruption holds this country by the jugular making Nigerians play the role of government, while the thieving few pocket the money. Corrupt politicians have succeeded in playing Nigerians against each other and the result is what we find today. A country where our peace is eroded daily. A country where all promises made are fake. A country where trust and confidence is completely taken away.

Have a nice day.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Jacksparrow7(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2021
I never see something good come out from this president
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by MrUchenna1(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2021
IS THIS MAN AWARE THAT He is THE PRESIDENT?
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Attit: 10:00am On Nov 29, 2021
Cantonese:

“Having seed banks is different from having standard seed banks”. Are you trying to play politics with this? How do you differentiate between a “seed bank” and “standard seed bank”? What are those things that a “standard seed bank” can achieve which “seed banks” cannot achieve? Remember that you initially brought the suggestion of seed banks.
What you do not know, you do not know. Having obsolete seeds in the bank is also having a seeds-bank. But the obsolete are not used again. If you have a working seed bank, seeds will be produced here. But no seeds are produced here again that are up to standard. If you want to argue it out, feel free. So, my statement is straight and direct, and it's not political. You arent an expert in this area, and you dont need to show your ignorance further.

If bushes and farms are not part of research sites, where else? Bedrooms? Note that we are talking about the FG’s requirement from universities of agriculture.
When you make seeds, you make them in laboratories. And them choose a small portion to test them. The small portion can just be 10sqm. It's enough and like a small room size. So, you are ignorant seeds are first made in a room size. They are first produced in bedrooms. What you dont know, you dont know. Just shut the crap up. Its after it has passed this stage you move into bushes, or distribute to farmers. But before the incidence of herdsmen, there were little or no small plots for test run because there were no research going on and nothing yo even grst in the bush anymore. So, using herdsmen as excuse is wrong. The data are there to show that even before bandits and herdsmen came into play, all agricultural institutes arent doing any research. So, stop using herdsmen to justify what you dont know. The joke is on you supporting the professors blindly. This is the case uou also support politicians cos you are ignorant of the issue. Stop arguing what you dont know.

You have completely at some points digressed from the issue discussed and sought to politicize or make it look as if we are at war. [/b]
The joke is on you. As I have shown you that you are the one who know nothing about this area, but your defence is to use political bull crap to stop me. Stop dabbling into topics you are an illiterate in. You cant know everything. This is not your area, so shut the crap up.

[quote]
We are first Nigerians and what troubles one part, takes away the peace of the other. The security crisis, worse as it is in the north, affects the rest of the nation, physically, emotionally and financially.
Sure. It will even affect you more cos you are lazy in the south to go to farm. Deal with it. This is the truth.

...herdsmen attack grain farms”. You are joking right? I am just hearing that cows eat grains! In all my years I have never heard this. If cows eat grains, what happens to the crops, like cassava and yams that are dug up and fed to cows? What happens to the vegetables and grasses around them? They just vanish into thin air? If that was the cause, why then would farmers cry? Why then would herdsmen take over people’s farms?
Let them be deceiving you. How many cassava and yams farms have they destroyed? Do cattle eat fresh cassava and yams? Do they eat the leaves? Cassava leaves are even poison to cattles, so no reasonable fulani herdsmen will push cattles there. If you know one cassava farm that is destroyed by cattles, kindly show me and let me know. You are just talking rubbish. Move cattle to a corn, millet, sorghum farm, and they will finish all in minutes.

Also, tell me one single vegetable crops farm like tomato cucumber, watermelon, etc that cattles have destroyed. Do cattles eat tomato leaves or fruits? Lol. What you dont know, you just talk. If you knowx kindly let me know. Cos you are posting like an expert in the field.

..south is under producing”. Does the north produce to its capacity? South produces less than 5% of the north. More jokes right? Now has the food produced in the north wiped away the abject poverty unnecessarily suffered by the larger percentage of the people of the north?
Your argument is baseless here. The argument is not if what they produce can satisfy us all. The issue is that you dont know much, but not humble. Relax, and top being too forward.

First, I wrote in my post that the north cannot survive alone if they decide to hold their produce. What does that mean? They have no choice but to sell to the south. If Metti Allah decides to hold their cattles, they will go hungry. The last time they banned onions from coming to the south, they recorded huge loss. If you read my post well, you should understand I put this into factor. But you just rushed to conclusion without digesting my post well. This tells me the kind of person you are. You just dont analyse well. You just rush and people like you van be easily deceived and manipulated into political thugs.

Another factor you need to put into consideration is the population explosion in Nigeria. People like you blame govt for everything, but have you blamed yourselves for overpopulation? Is the female child evil that people must have a male child? Lol. You arent putting into place all scenarios, but just making baseless conclusion. What impact has population on the percentage it can produce food for?

The whole of the US is around 330million plus and the land mass is like 60 - 100 times that of Nigeria. But Nigeria is presently 221 million plus and we know this is not updated value. Nigeria should be in 300million plus presently competing with the whole of the US. Is this not crazy? Think deeply? So na FG say you dont know how use condoms? Na FG say after 6 females, a male is a must? Come on! You mentioned SE has less land area somewhere in your thread, yet, the same ibos must will everything to the male child, and they struggle to have a male child just over populating the nation. If the whole of ibo from Lagos is deported back to their states, do you know how this will affect the whole of south east? You people just make comments ignorantly on nairaland. Mehn! You need to sgsrg updating yourselves, and not making baseless assumptions.

Now, if the professors in Agricultural institutes are useless, and they do nothing, how do you think we can cope with population explosion? They are the ones who should be stimulating GDP of the nation. But they are just redundant, and what they want is to teach only old and obsolete theories and then take huge packages from FG. This is why FG is reluctant to answer them. Buhari is stylishly telling them that they must show result for the huge demands they are making.

Note that I dong support that they arent paid well. I want them paid well, and I know without paying them well, they will underperform. But the little they are paid, what have they done wirh it? Think na. We keep blaming Buhari everytime, I blame him too, but what about these inefficient professors who are clits chasers? Na to run after toto dem sabi. But to bring out innovation is no more in their dictionary. Do you know the kind of corruption in the academic world? Ifs even more than that of the police. Let us be serious here.

Have you compared the land mass and population between the two? We are told that Kogi state alone is bigger than the entire south east. How do you expect yields to be the same? By the way, when you talk about the north, do you forget that the north also comprises of people of the south who live and work there? Same goes for the south, who have people of the north living and working there.
This is a good observation and I like this. But when ibo knows that they dont have land and they want to produce food, why do they over price their land as if gold is under it? Lol. So, who is to be blamed?

So, that they dont have land like the north is why they should fold their hands and do nothing? That's a useless excuse. Israel has no land at all cos most are rocks. But today they are leaders in food production, esp vegetables.

Holland land area is 5,476 sqkm which is lesser than SE land area. Holland produces the best vegetables seeds. And some are presently in Nigeria. Keep making excuses for your incompetence.

..southerners gave excuses not to go to farms”. Your comments amaze me. All over this country no reasonable farmer ever gave excuses to avoid work. If everyone is screaming insecurity in their farms, who do you expect to have his head taken off as a lesson to others? I suggest that you take your time away from your air conditioned apartment and visit a farm attacked by herdsmen. Thereafter you can tell us the story.
Take time to read my profile and my threads. The joke is on you. grin You are the one under old skool fan (you arent even in an A/C room) and making useless noise here. Lol.

May I ask you the reason why we stand on long queues, weather conditions irrespective and vote for political leaders? Why do we pay taxes? Are political leaders not expected to run our economy effectively? Is it not the role of the FG to provide grants to these universities? Are these universities not funded by governments? Does the FG not reserve the right to arrest and prosecute corrupt university officials who misuse their grants? Does the FG adequately fund the universities? If so why do lecturers go on strike frequently? Who provides the infrastructure for a proper society? Is it your responsibility or mine to build roads? Government has the duty of providing the enabling environment for trade to thrive. Do not be deceived bro.
Keep relying on govt. In your life, state explicitly the faxes you have paid? Tell me if you have genuinely paid your electricity and water Bill's accurately. Do they even charge you for water? Have you not in your life made illegal electric connection? You keep blaming government, but the average Nigerian is corrupt. Very corrupt. Is it government that will remove the DNA corruption from your system? You are delusional. Oh! It's right and nothing bad in connecting illegal cable for using free electricity...it is justified to connect illegality to MTN, Airtel power stations cos its smart, it is ok, but not okay for govt to cut your light. FG is useless, but Nigerians are more useless. This is the truth. The estimation made by NEPA to know the right transformer in every area is always distorted. And then, there is always problems with transformers due to overload. Is it FG that says you should do it?

Rhe joke is on you if you dont recognise where you are at fault. And keep blaming FG for your poverty all the time. Na your wahala.

The simple truth is that our common wealth gets looted in this country by the few who we vote into power. Corruption holds this country by the jugular making Nigerians play the role of government, while the thieving few pocket the money. Corrupt politicians have succeeded in playing Nigerians against each other and the result is what we find today. A country where our peace is eroded daily. A country where all promises made are fake. A country where trust and confidence is completely taken away.
No doubt you are right. But are the citizens not the ones revoting them in against and again after collecting peanuts? The joke is on you. Dont you see these issues when recorded and posted on social media? Just N500 can buy the average Nigerian. Lol. Whose fault is it? The joke is on you. Keep complaining and don't find a way to help yourself legally. If you do yaboo, you will be caught and jailed. And your case will be like Hushpuppi who blamed the society for his fraudulent lifestyle. The joke is on him. He is spending many years in the US prison, and may God help him to come out whole.

Have a nice day.
Bless you!
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Otunski: 1:20pm On Nov 29, 2021
Is it with poor funding of Education and research they will achieve that?
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by lexy2014: 2:28pm On Nov 29, 2021
GreenArrow1:

Still missing the points of my submission?
My first post on this thread simply stated that the blame does not lie squarely with the top echelon of the government on this particular subject matter!
Also, it was a case of a head of government calling on a sub -strata of his government to do better. Simple.

U are yet to answer a simpler question: Who do the universities report to?
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by lexy2014: 2:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
GreenArrow1:

You missed the point. I'm am not trying to exonerate the government of blame. (It is not a zero sum game).
The development for that rice strain wasn't funded by the government. It was done by prominent members of the rice farmers association of Nigeria. How much did it cost to fund it? A molecular fraction of the funds the same sector receives for R & D from the government yearly.
Cartel here, doesn't refer to a sinister organisation.

I get your point loud, clear and spot on. If u are saying that huge sums are allocated to universities for research, then it still boils down to d simple question I asked u: isn't d responsibility of d govt who gives out those to demand accountability and value for d funds they released? Can u give out your personal money to a vendor and won't ask for value in return?

If u say the development of Faro 61 was funded by a private concern, I don't understand why u need anyone to start finding out why d seedlings aren't available for public use. It's like questioning why d formula for coca cola is known only to coca cola.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Danjikanbauchi: 3:03pm On Nov 29, 2021
Useless old Terrorist, the same farmers you will s ND your Miyetti Allah Fulani terrorists groups to killed in their farms.

Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by Aboguede(m): 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2021
I know exactly what u are saying and you are 100% right.

Nigeria youths as a case study actually and do have a lot of access to get to any positions or at least move to better situations but it will surprise you to see the damage in their general mentality 50% damaged by religious teaching which is already in their subconscious mind which is also their program and no computer can work against its programming so the work is more in their sycy.

Unfortunately even the Nigeria and African youths in general including the ones in foreign countries including here in Europe are all living in caged outdated consciousness

Attit:

They have money to get on Twitter if you check. And from statistics, they have at least N100 to N1,000 to gamble everytime there is football match. Am I wrong? This is a clue that there is solution, but they are just lazy and keep blaming government. No one who is successful government has helped to be. Govt helps only those they can benefit from and those ones are the already successful ones. I dont understand why every one struggling keeps on depending on government when it has been shown without reasonable doubt govt does not have your back. The same probability of success most failure have is the same successful people have. It's a topic for another day.
Re: Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food by seguno2: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2021
Omooba77:
When Agriculturists and farmers can not access their farmlands....

Please why can’t they access their farmlands
Can it be due to the killings, and destruction by illegal migrant Fulani herdsmen terrorists?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 acres of farm / Poultry land for sale - Reduced to 500k per acres / Moringa / Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.