Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,126 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Fixed Odds Vegetable Production - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fixed Odds Vegetable Production (1737 Views)

Art & Science Of Marking Profit In Vegetable Production (series 3) / Vegetable Dry Season Farming Pictures / Where Can I Buy Vegetable Seeds In ABUJA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2021
I am tired of being asked the same questions everytime, and being asked the same favor all the time. Everyone wants to put the whole load of their farm success on me. I stopped this many years ago since I know that people will always come for help, and I must not get involved. One of the reasons I keep writing here is to not make enemies out of people I reject. At least, they can read here and learn. And many have the misconception I am too expensive, and I recommend expensive approaches. Well, it's on you of you think so. My approach is to state the truth, and if you care to, listen. Fine. If not, fine. But if you take note, and I keep saying it, those deceiving you always return to everything I say after their low cheap, and trials and errors failed them back to back. But they wont tell you, and they always stylishly return here to start forming super farmers. Lol. But look deep, and return to what I wrote earlier which the same person attacked my words, and you will see the truth.

How do I know these things? I learned how to think ahead. I take steps ahead the present. And I have stopped releasing the future on this platform because I have seen that there are no or extremely few risk takers here. Rank zerox is what you need here. And you cannot be a leader and make huge profit following others. Dont you want to lead?

Odds in Farming
Unfortunately, this is not a place I can lay out mathematical expressions since many aren't grounded in it. But I hope there are experienced and enthusiastic gamblers here who can relate to my approach in this thread.

Have you noticed that sport betting is on the high side in Nigeria? Poverty and high unemployment rate are the main reasons. Lol. This is a discussion for another day.

Recently, I paid attention to gambling and I want to really understand how it works. While working on this, I found myself in the chess world.

My objective in this thread
I want to make you a more profitable owner. Most of you do not know how to make decision. You are blinded with what people post here. That they posted pictures should not be the only determinant factor to follow them. But this is the main factor failures put into consideration. And it beats my imagination to see people falling into traps every single day on this platform.

What do I need to do to be successful
Let me give you an example. Let's say you have N30k for a month. You can easily predict that you need N7.5k per week and then add tolerance to it. So, a good weekly estimation is made. So, you start making predictions. But how do you live successfully with this N7.5k per week? Well, you can decide to just move out and start spending and then you spend all within 2 weeks and start borrow to cover the remaining weeks. Or, you may try to predict the factors which can reduce your expenses and those which can increase them. What do you then do? You avoid those which are negative on your finance, and adopt the positive ones. For example, you drive when the traffic is low so that you spend less on fuel. How do you do this? By using google map to predict ahead before jumping into your car. Remember, you have an estimate of 7.5k and you know you must be at your top notch to make it happen, otherwise you are spending more. So, using tech, you easily predict where to go before you head out. Bam! That's it. But what of the fellow who just jumps into his vehicle? What probability is it that the fellow is going through the path you took after checking google map (especially in Lagos & Abuja)?

Good prediction is using what can be quantified and measured for immediate occurrences to navigate your way through, while putting into factor long term occurences and desired results.

Be a profitable owner
The only way you can be a profitable farmer is to be good in prediction. There is no other way around it. Good prediction is good business modeling which involves business plans. So, I dont get it when people solely rely on free business plans which are produced by consultants to lure them into believing the consultants. How can a general principle work for you if you dont tweak it to your own specific case?

Kasparov Vs Deep Blue
Personally, I think Kasparov is the greatest chess player that has ever lived. He is so sound. So, to test chess computer, he was the reigning champion who competed with algorithms in those days. He had previously defeated 32 different computers in Hamburg in 1985. Also, he had defeated "Deep Thought" in two straight games.

Kasparov played in a pair of six-game chess matches with an IBM supercomputer called "Deep Blue". The first match was played in Philadelphia in 1996 and won by Kasparov. The second was played in New York City in 1997 and won by Deep Blue. The 1997 match was the first defeat of a reigning world chess champion by a computer under tournament conditions.

In May 1997, an updated version of Deep Blue defeated Kasparov 3½–2½ in a highly publicized six-game match. The match was even after five games but Kasparov lost quickly in Game 6. This was the first time a computer had ever defeated a world champion in a match. A documentary film was made about this famous match entitled Game Over: "Kasparov and the Machine".

Points to Note
1. A chess game, like everything else, has three parts: the beginning, the middle and the end.

2. In the beginning of a chess game the center of the board is void, with pawns, rooks, and bishops neatly aligned in the first two rows awaiting instructions from
their masters. The possibilities are almost infinite.

3. White can open the game in any of twenty different ways, and black can respond with twenty of its own
moves, creating 4,000 possible sequences after the first full turn.

4. After the second full turn, there are 71,852 possibilities.

5. After the third, there are 9,132,484.

6. The number of possibilities in an entire chess game, played to completion, is so large that it is a significant problem even to estimate it, but some mathematicians put the number as high as 10 raised to power of 10, and then raised to power of 50. Wow! shocked

Knowing possibilities ahead is a factor for good prediction
You must be able to know the occurrences upfront, and then try to visualize the probability of occurences happening. This is how to predict. To be a good bettor is knowing how to predict, and it's more of probability which can be expressed mathematically. Bayern's theorem, Laplace, Poisson and many others have been used for prediction. Talk of Binomial theorem also, which is used in speculating price movement. It was first implemented in Price Action strategy. But it has since been used with volume which has improved market price movement speculation.

You are a loser if you cannot predict
OK, the above is for people who are grounded in statistics and mathematics. After studying prediction, I started to pity sport bettors. I have read many front page stories of people addicted to bet9ja. Lol. Some even used their school fees, house rent, wedding savings, life savings, pension savings etc to play sport betting, poker, virtual bets, etc and they lost all. grin They know nothing about prediction, and they always allow their emotion to predict. Boom! They lost, and people like that will continue losing. Bang! Bang!! Bang!!! Piam! All is gone. Back to zero. And theh even always go out of their way to borrow to bet. Lol.

Inputs
Knowing that Messi is on the pitch is a factor, and then Messi playing against Ronaldo is another factor. Feeds in mathematical expressions can be distorted without using your brain to think well. When Messi plays, he scores, and does wonders. But is he always as efficient as he is when Messi is against Ronaldo? Boom! You try to use the 10 past records of brilliant Messi to predict the outcome of his next game facing Ronaldo. Guy, you may lose it, cos Messi has been shown not to always be at his best when Ronaldo is at the opposite end. But it doesn't mean Ronaldo is better than Messi. That's just it. I can talk about Ronaldo's case too, but I think this is just ok since many here may not be into football. So, can you see why the prerequisite to making money while gambling is being good with prediction. And being good with prediction is being good with mathematics. You are digging your 6 ft if you dont know how to predict and you keep gambling.

Forecasting
Winning elections is predicting which is forcasting. It's all about mathematics. Also, weather forecasting is around because of this skill also. So, those forecasting weather are friends of farmers. But many of them are bad gamblers. They don't predict accurately. Well, due to big data and better algorithms available today, it's getting better. Thanks to maths and computer algorithms.

Can you predict all the scenarios on your farm?
Many here are gamblers. They dont even try to predict possibilities in their farms. Yet, they want to make money. I have seen many people coming here to attack consultants. But did you consider the probability of the consultant failing? Did you consider the probability of the consultant abandoning your job? Wow! You put 100% work load and dependence on another person who you did not evaluate, and then, you went to sleep with your eyes closed dreaming about making millions of naira.

Your role
Did you perform your role accurately? You expect the consultant to get the job done, and even expect the person to get workers for your farm. Of course, a consultant who desperately needs money will take up the job. The same person should manage your workers, and the same should run after them. Lol. Your failure is going to be fatal. Your workers are messing up, and you blame the consultant. Bang!

Who is to blame if your consultant is bad at the job. The consultant or you? Think deep. Who says you shouldn't know how to choose the right person to work with? Who says you go for cheap option? When things go south, you always rush down to NL to attack the fellow cos in your own thought, you have been scammed cos you did not succeed. Success by all means is what you need, but you left everything in the hands of the consultant. Did you pay him for risk management? Did you give him everything he needed? Did you not manage resources? Come on! So many possibilities here. But the only possibility you chose is to rely solely on the consultant to give you the win. What about other possibilities? Who is to be blamed for not considering them?

Who is the loser?
You.

Disclaimer
This thread is about gambling in farming. So, I am using the right approach which is the act of gambling itself. Unfortunately, you need gambling skills to be able to relate to some issues in this thread, but I will try to simplify them. This thread is not an advice for you to use in sport betting or in any other kind of gambling. My purpose is not to teach you how to gamble, but to let you see who the good gambler is. And then see how people gamble recklessly in vegetables production. You are on your own if you decide to use some of my approaches to gamble in any form. I am not liable for any loss you acquire.
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 7:37am On Nov 30, 2021
Is CR7 who ManU needs?
I really would have also used NFL or NBA in my analysis here, but since these two big games aren't well known here, let me just stick to football (soccer). Only Americans call it soccer, and they call their NFL football. But in reality soccer is bigger than their own football. Yet, they don't know. Lol. So, in my world soccer is football since I don't understand why they use hands more often in playing their own football. Anyway, that's their cup of tea.

So, ManU got hold of CR7 after having hard time in Juventus. Yeap! That was a great advantage. And he has been banging goals like a machine he is. But as great as he is, as many goals he keep scoring, and as he shows Rashford is not his mate, ManU keeps struggling. What could be wrong? Kind you, Cavanni is still in ManU also. Damn!

Ole! Ole!! Ole!!!
What influence has the coach on the team? Let's put the cards on the table. Which is better? To have Messi or CR7 with Ole as the coach? Or to have Tuchel with Lukaku? Of course, to have an Ole is not the main problem at first for ManU, but when I put all possibilities on the table, the success rate of Ole dropped as soon as CR7 entered that team, not because I felt CR7 cannot bring success to the team, but CR7 and Messi both need extremely tactical coaches who can make them ordinary in the team. Yes you heard me right. They both must be humbled to the level of their mates that they see them as ordinary players. Not to disrespect them, but to bring out the best in them. I think Pochettino didnt understand this very well when he asked Messi to go and lie at the back of the wall. That's outright disrespect, and never will he try such again with Messi. Though, Msssi gladly did it, but fans blasted Pochiettino. They knocked that his head that seems needed to be reformatted at the time. How dear you ask the man whose free kicks starter making coaches even before him ask adults to lie on the floor. I mean this form of defence was established cos of Messi, and you think its Messi who should lie. He made a strong call, and he was nailed rightly. This was the beginning of the crisis Pochettino is having presently. That was the beginning of the ego of Messi coming out cos he needs to be Messi. I side with Messi on this.

Pochettino and Zindane
Pochettino is trying to run away from PSG cos he is getting fed up with dealing with egos of Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe. And mark my words, he is going to have a slight relieve that Neymar is temporarily out, and might be this is the incident that can bond Messi amd Mbappe. To me, when I put the probability of Messi showing more skills, I think it is higher now that Neymar is out of the scene temporarily. And I think it will even go higher when Neymar returns cos the bond will be already established btw Messi and Mbappe, and then, Neymar is going to just follow the lead of Messi as usual. So, would I say Neymar's injury is a blessing to PSG? Yes, I strongly believe so. So, I really do not see a new coach in PSG soon. Pochettino is extremely lucky.

I initially thought Zidanne should have taken up ManU's offer. Sincerely, he is in the best position to blend CR7 with the rest of the team. But I guess he is a bit cautious of going to Premier league since that's one league he is not familiar with a bit. And I put the probability of his success on table in ManU also, and I think he made the best decision to stay away. Yeap, the main focus of was CR7, but we all (including me) didnt put the probability of Zidane's success in a big ocean he has zero experience swimming in. And I think Zidane was not ready to take such risk. Lol. Not every coach can be Pep.

Klopp and Tuchel
Talking about Pep and how versatile he is, and his success with the fastest leagues in the world, one cannot deny the same fact that Klopp and Tuchel did same. In fact, these two coaches have been rival for a long time. They both managed Mainz05 and Dortmund with successes. They both won bundunsliga league with Dortmund, and also, they won the champions league with English clubs. They both lost in their first finals of the champions league before winning it the following year. While Klopp lost it previously with Liverpool and then won it with the same team, Tuchel lost it with PSG and then won it with Chelsea. So, what is that thing with these two coaches?

Zidanne Vs Tuchel
Tuchel had no experience in any way as a player and coach with the premier league just like Zidane. But how come the first season he moved to the premier league, he won the champions league. Do not underestimate the power of competition. For the fact that Klopp did it in England without prior experience, Tuchel moved to cheLsea with the mind set of taking up the challenge against his rival. And he did it.

What is it with Zindane
On the part of Zidane, I looked back and couldn't find any motivation to excel in the unknown environment. The odds are not that high for him. So, I have rated Zidane very high with his decision. You all may think he is not good, but I think otherwise. Zidane is now a top shot I am looking at. He knows how to make decision perfectly. He could have jumped at the ManU offer, but when I looked at it very well, he has no motivation and reason to excel there. He knows it deep inside himself, and he didnt allow even CR7, his best player in Real Madrid to make him do what he knows he is not ready for. What better decision can you compare with this. Knowing when to take up a challenge is good, but even better knowing when to reject challenges. Why take up what you arent ready for? But the love of money which has created many bad bettors is the same that kills people who arent ready for a task to take it up. Zidane is a good gambler.

Many farm owners are bad gamblers
Bad gamblers just flow with the crowd. They have no single knowledge about predicting the future. If you cannot predict the future, you cant make good decisions.

You go to farm when the you have no "value". The signals are there that you have slim chance of winning, but you always ignore all. Your edge is slim, yet, you decide to force it. And boom! You start blaming everyone else, except you. The day you take the blame is the day you start your journey towards success.

You must be motivated with something huge like Tuchel to dive move into a bush and make massive profit or success the first time. Boom! Else, do not raise your hope. Prepare bouncing back cos the possibility of failing is high for your first attempt. But you all dont plan towards this. You dive into the ocean without any back up. And that's diving into 6 ft below. The next is for you to start singing funeral songs on NL that someone else killed you. Who killed you? You killed yourself. Period!

Teni
The best risk management you can have is the lyrics of Teni's song.

My papa no be Dangote or Adeleke, but we go dey okay....

When you know neither your papa is Dangote nor Davido's dad, then you will find a way to be alright. You know you cannot afford to lose your first investment, you know you must get inside the bush and it is a must to come out triumphantly, then, you know it's a war you are going for. You will be like Tuchel. You will find reasons to be successful. You will make sure you calculate well all possibilities of success and failure before diving in. And when you see that the odds are against you, then, retrieve like Zidane. Do not be stupid and lose your money. Do not just go for heavy giants like how Ole got CR7 without knowing how to handle them. I think Pochettino had luck on his side, else, Messi that landed in that PSG team is a double edged sword. But guess what? Most coaches would have learned from his error and will definitely excel with PSG if he loses or quits that job.

Dont ever make yourself a template everyone else will start using as a failure to be avoided. If you must struggle it out, at least be Pochettino who is struggling to navigate his way through, and not Ole who easily collapsed with the burden of managing a big player.
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 9:19am On Dec 01, 2021
Are you ready for vegetable production? Score yourself

To be a very good gambler you must work with data to measure out your chances. How accurate is the data? This is what is paramount and the most difficult issue. If all gamblers have access to good data, they will be beating bookmakers back to back. But they keep losing everytime meaning they arent predicting well. Lol. They are just useless gamblers.

Nat Silver in his book signals and noise laid emphasis on this issue. The noise out there is too loud that gamblers always fail. If you want to lose your money fast, rely on pundits' analysis. That is the fastest way to lose your money. They are all bad at predicting.

OK. Let us look at vegetable farming. I have a system which has been working for some years. I upgraded it 2 years ago and what I have is far better than this. But let me release my first edition here for anyone who cares. It will save you from losing your fund.

The total score is 100. And I have highlighted the max score for each point. I will try to give explanation why the score are like below.

Seeds
There are two things which come first. Your variety is one. Based on yield, diseases resistance and tolerance level, drought and heat tolerance level, and special features, you score yourself 1 - 20.

If I have to use cucumber, my score for pointset will not be more than 3, greengo and Cu999 can make 9 - 12, while any acceptable seedless should make 13-20.

Likewise, if I work with tomato, old roma, UC28, etc will not even make up to 5. I always give 1. If you are a small farmer, I score all determinates not more than 10. No matter how good they are. But if you are a large scale farmer who uses tractor and even harvester, the score can shoot to 15 or even 18. And then, all robust variety as far as I am concerned are the best for small farmers. I score this 8 - 20 based on diseases resistance. Hazera tomato has my respect and tops available varieties in Nigeria. It is expensive
but good. The only challenge is that all their varieties here cannot resist bacteria wilt. That's it. So, I score their seeds 14 -16. There are other ones I have detected on my own but arent available which I score 14 to 20 which are even cheaper than Hazera products. Availability is the challenge.

Land Preparation
Your seeds, land preparation, and management style go together as the first decisions to make. So, its range is 1 - 20 just like seeds.

Seriously, I cannot score anyone on NL more than 5 in this area. You all dont amend your soil. As a matter of fact, you all do rubbish. But the truth is that it's not your fault. Only agricultural extension officers can do this. In the US, data for soil is available on the internet by agricultural extension institutions which tells you what to use based on your geographical location. You know the right type of seeds and soil amendment to use. To have an optimized land preparation, you can easily find where to send your soil samples. But in Nigeria, we make guesses. And this is why many fail. Everything you do here is trial and error. There is no single scientific approach. But we are in 2021 whereby the world has gone so far. Come on! Why would you farm like you are in 1960s?

There is no point to tell you what to do here since you dont know how to do it. If you use 5 to 10 tons of manure per acre, score yourself 5 here. If not, just give yourself 1 if you make beds. This is the honest truth. And if you want to be really sincere, give yourself 0 because you are gambling. Be honest with yourself.

Technology
Do not ever deceive yourself, this is the age of technology. Even your seeds are produced with recent tech. And soil correction is achieved with it. Your mulch is very important. Irrigation is so important. Staking with nets and other stuff are so important. If you own a tractor, and you dont need cutlass and hoes....this is huge. If you have a transplanter, this is huge. So, tech is very important now. I score this 1 - 15.

If you use irrigation alone, I think you should give yourself 4. Irrigation and mulch can have up to 7. If you use tech in staking and land preparation, you can start scoring yourself higher. If you depend on rain, just score yourself 0. Dont even try to award yourself a single point here.

Crop and Level of production difficulty
What kind of crop? What is the difficulty level? Can you tackle it? How ready are you? Do you need stakes? If yes, are you using it? Do you need to make beds or you just need to spray herbicides? Cucumber is tough. You can't compare it with tomatoes. But you can make cumcuber easier with another factor I will mention later. However, pruning is still a major factor in cucumber. But you still prune in tomatoes too in some cases. So, it depends. 0 - 10 is the score here. I have conducted this analysis on many farmers, but all of them cannot measure this. They always over rate themselves. And I dont always do anything. It is when they get to farm they see it themselves that they overrated themselves. But what about you? Do you even know if you always overrate yourself? You just go in and go out like a zombie. You lose money, and you even return without learning anything and you lose more in your subsequent attempts. Lol.

Skills and Management
This is purely supervision. How are you involved? How skillful are you? What have you done to improve your skills? I have written so much about this. If you depend on a manager or consultant, give yourself 0. In any case, I award 1 - 10 here also. Score yourself 8 and above if you are in control of your farm and if you understand what you are doing. You can increase your point by 2 to 3 if you have a good seed seller you consult regularly or a brilliant vegetable farmer. Rule out consultants here.

Award yourself no score if your seed seller is a psycho path who wont reply your messages or who thinks he is doing you a favor. I have dumped many of them. Funny, seed producers from abroad have better customer service than the hopeless ones here.

I must be straight to the point here. Give yourself even 2.5 extra if you buy EastWest and you can hook up with their Nigerian business development Director who can connect you with their technical advisers. Trust me, I have seen these guys doing great job. And it all started with the this director of theirs. A brilliant woman in Kaduna. You cant miss it with her. This is where East West beats Technisem hands down. You too know the story and burden of getting data and facts from Agritropic. Lol. It's like they do you a favor by buying seeds from them in those days. They were so pompous then. Now, they are sitting tight cos EastWest is on top of it's game. Even despite they have lower cost which should be an advantage, they aren't getting it right cos their farm extension activities are not that good. EastWest invested seriously in a PhD holder in Agric who understands the game, and she is delivering. But do we even know the technical director of Agritropic, the distributor if Technisem? But remember that I still value their cobra f1. They are the leaders of determinates tomato. All others are following including East West. A fact I stand by.

Initial Capital
Score yourself zero here if you know you cannot set up irrigation. Simple. I dont even want to listen to you. The climatic condition is changing due to human activities. Gone are the days rain is regular. Stop deceiving yourself again. Dont waste your time and energy relying on rain. I have given costs of initial set ups in many of my threads. Go find them. Mind you that the devaluable of naira keeps affecting it. Also, inflation is another factor you must put into consideration.

If you have money today, go and buy your equipment and keep. See, dont buy bad mulch. Close your eyes and go for mulch that will last 10 years if possible. Even you will spend 2 million or more go for it. Get together as groups to buy these things. Or specifically ask your seller since you know it's hard to find ppl who can join you to import together.

But if you refuse to listen..... Ok. For the first time, manage what you can get and upgrade later, but nope. You are stubborn and you want to cut costs every time. That consultant told you the true cost of set up, but in your wisdom, consultants are cheats. Fine, they are, but be honest with yourself and go and make research to know the true cost, and buy. Dont cut corners. Many will start asking for alternatives. Lol. Many of you blame your guide when the alternatives recommended dont work well. Is that not the reason they are called alternatives? You are sick if you act this way. Someone told you what to buy, but you asked for an alternative and the person still gave you, and then you expect the alternative to serve you like the real one knowing fully well the huge difference in the cost of purchasing them. You are sick.

I award 1 - 10 here. Most of you fall into1 - 3. You know the true level you are. Be honest with it if you dont want to regret it.

Farm location
I must confess that I have reviewed this aspect in my recent system. But anyway, nearness to water amd easy access to farm override distance to point of sales. Most markets are organized now that you can easily arrange transportation easily from anywhere except your farm location is in a remote area. If you have to use bike to travel deep inside your bush, give yourself zero. It's as simple as ABC. If you dont travel to your farm on bike, but you travel on a bad road to your farm, you can use your discretion to award yourself a score. Do drivers complain when coming to your farm? Do they nag after the first trip? Do they start refusing to pick your calls when they ask for more and you refused to pay? Of course you know they will keep demanding more. Lol. The road to your farm is simply bad. Its impact on your success is really bad.

Workers
I have written so much about this. And what I realised is that this same problem is all over the world. In the US, you cant even easily find workers who want to go to farm. Mainly illegal Mexican immigrants willingly go to farm. Lol. So, I reasoned within myself too. Why depend on workers? Tech has solved this issue. Why depend on workers?

Therefore if you use tech, the level of impact of workers is minimal. If you use mulch, you dont need workers for weeding. If you use net, you dont need too many people to prune. Remember I talked about choice of crop and management. If you know what you are doing, and you know workers are terrible, you will opt for tomatoes instead of cucumber. Or better, you will go for chilli. But many of you just do what you see others doing here. You may even run away from these ones and opt for okra or sweet corn. But make sure you know the challenges with these also. Okra is notoriously known to attract pests while sweet corn may be a disaster if there are hungry birds around your area. You must know these things before you choose what to do. But many of you are rank Xerox. You just copy what people do here. What a pity?

I use solely daily paid workers these days. I dont have time to waste on unserious workers. Therefore, my running cost is higher than when I used to have full time staff members. I have deviced methods to train any unskilled worker all activities on my farm. I used to say that Togolese can do only certain activities very well and bla bla bla. But now, I know how to instruct anyone how to do what I need to do as long as he has the energy required. That's it. I went to my drawing board and I worked it out. Depending on workers is a bull crap these days. If you dont want to give yourself hypertension, just find your way around it.

Take note that your NL consultants will start preaching this soon like they first implemented Tues things. Lol.

If you use salary paid workers, there is no point awarding yourself more than 1 here.

Marketing and Sales
No matter where you are in the North and SW, you can always sell easily if you pknow what you are doing. The challenge of market for vegetables is no more there again.

Even agents are competing with each other, but they can still cheat you. Award yourself 0 to average if you dont really have strong bonds and networks in the market cos you will be cheated one way of the other. I have helped many people. And many people who go to market dont even know they are cheated. Even after helping some to get better deals, they still go behind me to cut corners. I always laugh cos these people always tell me the truth. Farmers are funny. Honestly. They dig their own pit. There are many Famers who have been regular in market for more than10 years and are still not getting it right. If you show them a way, rather than wait to learn more, they quickly cut you off. Lol. I have seen too much that I cannot just write all here. Even during off season, some farmers who understand market dynamics still sell well. When you are full of deception and you tell lies, then you know that you cannot last no matter how much you have to invest in it.

Award yourself 1 - 5 here.

But this is a serious issue. If you give yourself 3 or more, but in reality you sre 0 or 1, this can crush your farm.

Note
1. The activities which have 1 - 5 points above are deadly. They have the tendency of crushing you faster than the ones with higher points. What I discussed above are success rates and not failure rates. They are two different systems.

2. Aim at 95 points out of 100 if you will go there and make profit the first time. For breakeven up to 10% profit, I think minimum of 85% is required. Listen, anything less than 70%, dont even near it near. Try to see how you can aim at 95% to have a "surebet". This is what ai aim at for my personal projects.

3. 0.95 probability out of one is a sure bet. Remember that the winning team always has a lower odd in sport betting. This 95% equals 1.95. I will talk more about this in my next lost.

95% is my standard. If you dont have it, forget about working with me. But if you must work with me, we must increase it first to 95%. Anyone can do it. There are different strategies you can use to increae it. This is what I do these days. I increase the winning probability of owners (solely my friends) instead of actually working with them on farms. And it takes long conversations over a long period of time to break all barriers. Many issues to solve - irrigation, soil amendment, staking styles, varieties of seeds, choice of crops, rotation or mixed farming, how big to expand, to go into processing or not? to bring in advance tech or not? Etc.

You may buy irrigation and mulch even 12 months ahead of the date you will use them. It always happen. This is what many dont know. Even you dont have the plan of going to farm right now, you increase your chance of winning by getting your equipment now so you can get the best. But when you start rushing since you want to meet rainy season tomato or pepper, you are at the mercy of sellers. These issues add points to or subtract points from your winning rating.

The winning Business Plan
The above is just a guide. There are more to these things. Your chance of winning with a well planned business plan is high.

This is why I am.always amazed when people ask for free business plans. You must tweak the plan to work for you. The same plan cannot work for everyone. You are burying yourself if you rely on a rubbish plan posted online to lure you into failure. You will pay much more for not creating a plan for yourself. If you have to spend over a million to create a working plan which includes the above, it's worth it. And you cannot rely on any other person to do it for your small scale farm. You just need to do it yourself. If it's a big farm, it's another ball game. Well, I wont say pay consultants so you dont say I want to make you spend, but you need to consult one. And if you pick any one in abroad, you will pay in dollars. So the task is on you to find a good Nigerian who knows the game excellently, and pay him well. If you cut corners, believe me, you are dead already. It is a law which doesn't fail.

If you want to be good, then, you must dedicate time for research. You cannot be working to be skillful and think of making profits at the same time. If you are into profit making, then, you have to rely on good people. And how you choose them is your call. But if you want to do it yourself, then, set a time to do many pilots and research well. This is how I built myself. When you research, you dont make profit. So, the question of making profit is out of it temporarily. But if you want to make profit, and you dont want to dedicate time to making research, but you think you can use and dump people, you have killed yourself. Or you think good consultants and farmers shouldn't be paid well, you are joking. When you start farming, you will understand better. You cannot move far if you dont k kw how to pay well or do it yourself. Why? This Nigeria is a tight market. You will meet the person you cheated somewhere in the future. And pray the person has a forgiven spirit. Else, you will see yourself being blocked everywhere. I have seen this play many times. And I always laugh at people who are smart. What they dont know is that they have killed that big dream from the start cos of greediness and dishonesty. Do you know how many calls for evaluation I receive monthly? When you get to a stage, professors, researchers, business men, investors, etc will start sending you stuff and proposals. They want to know if you have worked with someone who brings proposals to them. It's like background check. See eh! I have to be loyal to the person who asks me for honest evaluation. I recently marked someone a thick red, and the investor told me that he too saw the signal but when he saw on his resume he has worked with me, he knows I will give him a good evaluation. I just have to be honest. That's me. And I have given many others excellent recommendation that they were shocked when they even heard later on that their boss contacted me. They didnt even know how it happened. It's a small world.

Think well. Many things determine your success. Dont act irrationally or greedily. Always keep to verbal agreements. Agric is a world different from others you cheat people anyhow and get away easily.You are the loser if you do this. Mark my words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by willybaby(m): 10:32am On Dec 01, 2021
Attit:
Are you ready for vegetable production? Score yourself

To be a very good gambler you must work with data to measure out your chances. How accurate is the data? This is what is paramount and the most difficult issue. If all gamblers have access to good data, they will be beating bookmakers back to back. But they keep losing everytime meaning they arent predicting well. Lol. They are just useless gamblers.

Nat Silver in his book signals and noise laid emphasis on this issue. The noise out there is too loud that gamblers always fail. If you want to lose your money fast, rely on pundits' analysis. That is the fastest way to lose your money. They are all bad at predicting.

OK. Let us look at vegetable farming. I have a system which has been working for some years. I upgraded it 2 years ago and what I have is far better than this. But let me release my first edition here for anyone who cares. It will save you from losing your fund.

The total score is 100. And I have highlighted the max score for each point. I will try to give explanation why the score are like below.

Seeds
There are two things which come first. Your variety is one. Based on yield, diseases resistance and tolerance level, drought and heat tolerance level, and special features, you score yourself 1 - 20.

If I have to use cucumber, my score for pointset will not be more than 3, greengo and Cu999 can make 9 - 12, while any acceptable seedless should make 13-20.

Likewise, if I work with tomato, old roma, UC28, etc will not even make up to 5. I always give 1. If you are a small farmer, I score all determinates not more than 10. No matter how good they are. But if you are a large scale farmer who uses tractor and even harvester, the score can shoot to 15 or even 18. And then, all robust variety as far as I am concerned are the best for small farmers. I score this 8 - 20 based on diseases resistance. Hazera tomato has my respect and tops available varieties in Nigeria. It is expensive
but good. The only challenge is that all their varieties here cannot resist bacteria wilt. That's it. So, I score their seeds 14 -16. There are other ones I have detected on my own but arent available which I score 14 to 20 which are even cheaper than Hazera products. Availability is the challenge.

Land Preparation
Your seeds, land preparation, and management style go together as the first decisions to make. So, its range is 1 - 20 just like seeds.

Seriously, I cannot score anyone on NL more than 5 in this area. You all dont amend your soil. As a matter of fact, you all do rubbish. But the truth is that it's not your fault. Only agricultural extension officers can do this. In the US, data for soil is available on the internet by agricultural extension institutions which tells you what to use based on your geographical location. You know the right type of seeds and soil amendment to use. To have an optimized land preparation, you can easily find where to send your soil samples. But in Nigeria, we make guesses. And this is why many fail. Everything you do here is trial and error. There is no single scientific approach. But we are in 2021 whereby the world has gone so far. Come on! Why would you farm like you are in 1960s?

There is no point to tell you what to do here since you dont know how to do it. If you use 5 to 10 tons of manure per acre, score yourself 5 here. If not, just give yourself 1 if you make beds. This is the honest truth. And if you want to be really sincere, give yourself 0 because you are gambling. Be honest with yourself.

Technology
Do not ever deceive yourself, this is the age of technology. Even your seeds are produced with recent tech. And soil correction is achieved with it. Your mulch is very important. Irrigation is so important. Staking with nets and other stuff are so important. If you own a tractor, and you dont need cutlass and hoes....this is huge. If you have a transplanter, this is huge. So, tech is very important now. I score this 1 - 15.

If you use irrigation alone, I think you should give yourself 4. Irrigation and mulch can have up to 7. If you use tech in staking and land preparation, you can start scoring yourself higher. If you depend on rain, just score yourself 0. Dont even try to award yourself a single point here.

Crop and Level of production difficulty
What kind of crop? What is the difficulty level? Can you tackle it? How ready are you? Do you need stakes? If yes, are you using it? Do you need to make beds or you just need to spray herbicides? Cucumber is tough. You can't compare it with tomatoes. But you can make cumcuber easier with another factor I will mention later. However, pruning is still a major factor in cucumber. But you still prune in tomatoes too in some cases. So, it depends. 0 - 10 is the score here. I have conducted this analysis on many farmers, but all of them cannot measure this. They always over rate themselves. And I dont always do anything. It is when they get to farm they see it themselves that they overrated themselves. But what about you? Do you even know if you always overrate yourself? You just go in and go out like a zombie. You lose money, and you even return without learning anything and you lose more in your subsequent attempts. Lol.

Skills and Management
This is purely supervision. How are you involved? How skillful are you? What have you done to improve your skills? I have written so much about this. If you depend on a manager or consultant, give yourself 0. In any case, I award 1 - 10 here also. Score yourself 8 and above if you are in control of your farm and if you understand what you are doing. You can increase your point by 2 to 3 if you have a good seed seller you consult regularly or a brilliant vegetable farmer. Rule out consultants here.

Award yourself no score if your seed seller is a psycho path who wont reply your messages or who thinks he is doing you a favor. I have dumped many of them. Funny, seed producers from abroad have better customer service than the hopeless ones here.

I must be straight to the point here. Give yourself even 2.5 extra if you buy EastWest and you can hook up with their Nigerian business development Director who can connect you with their technical advisers. Trust me, I have seen these guys doing great job. And it all started with the this director of theirs. A brilliant woman in Kaduna. You cant miss it with her. This is where East West beats Technisem hands down. You too know the story and burden of getting data and facts from Agritropic. Lol. It's like they do you a favor by buying seeds from them in those days. They were so pompous then. Now, they are sitting tight cos EastWest is on top of it's game. Even despite they have lower cost which should be an advantage, they aren't getting it right cos their farm extension activities are not that good. EastWest invested seriously in a PhD holder in Agric who understands the game, and she is delivering. But do we even know the technical director of Agritropic, the distributor if Technisem? But remember that I still value their cobra f1. They are the leaders of determinates tomato. All others are following including East West. A fact I stand by.

Initial Capital
Score yourself zero here if you know you cannot set up irrigation. Simple. I dont even want to listen to you. The climatic condition is changing due to human activities. Gone are the days rain is regular. Stop deceiving yourself again. Dont waste your time and energy relying on rain. I have given costs of initial set ups in many of my threads. Go find them. Mind you that the devaluable of naira keeps affecting it. Also, inflation is another factor you must put into consideration.

If you have money today, go and buy your equipment and keep. See, dont buy bad mulch. Close your eyes and go for mulch that will last 10 years if possible. Even you will spend 2 million or more go for it. Get together as groups to buy these things. Or specifically ask your seller since you know it's hard to find ppl who can join you to import together.

But if you refuse to listen..... Ok. For the first time, manage what you can get and upgrade later, but nope. You are stubborn and you want to cut costs every time. That consultant told you the true cost of set up, but in your wisdom, consultants are cheats. Fine, they are, but be honest with yourself and go and make research to know the true cost, and buy. Dont cut corners. Many will start asking for alternatives. Lol. Many of you blame your guide when the alternatives recommended dont work well. Is that not the reason they are called alternatives? You are sick if you act this way. Someone told you what to buy, but you asked for an alternative and the person still gave you, and then you expect the alternative to serve you like the real one knowing fully well the huge difference in the cost of purchasing them. You are sick.

I award 1 - 10 here. Most of you fall into1 - 3. You know the true level you are. Be honest with it if you dont want to regret it.

Farm location
I must confess that I have reviewed this aspect in my recent system. But anyway, nearness to water amd easy access to farm override distance to point of sales. Most markets are organized now that you can easily arrange transportation easily from anywhere except your farm location is in a remote area. If you have to use bike to travel deep inside your bush, give yourself zero. It's as simple as ABC. If you dont travel to your farm on bike, but you travel on a bad road to your farm, you can use your discretion to award yourself a score. Do drivers complain when coming to your farm? Do they nag after the first trip? Do they start refusing to pick your calls when they ask for more and you refused to pay? Of course you know they will keep demanding more. Lol. The road to your farm is simply bad. Its impact on your success is really bad.

Workers
I have written so much about this. And what I realised is that this same problem is all over the world. In the US, you cant even easily find workers who want to go to farm. Mainly illegal Mexican immigrants willingly go to farm. Lol. So, I reasoned within myself too. Why depend on workers? Tech has solved this issue. Why depend on workers?

Therefore if you use tech, the level of impact of workers is minimal. If you use mulch, you dont need workers for weeding. If you use net, you dont need too many people to prune. Remember I talked about choice of crop and management. If you know what you are doing, and you know workers are terrible, you will opt for tomatoes instead of cucumber. Or better, you will go for chilli. But many of you just do what you see others doing here. You may even run away from these ones and opt for okra or sweet corn. But make sure you know the challenges with these also. Okra is notoriously known to attract pests while sweet corn may be a disaster if there are hungry birds around your area. You must know these things before you choose what to do. But many of you are rank Xerox. You just copy what people do here. What a pity?

I use solely daily paid workers these days. I dont have time to waste on unserious workers. Therefore, my running cost is higher than when I used to have full time staff members. I have deviced methods to train any unskilled worker all activities on my farm. I used to say that Togolese can do only certain activities very well and bla bla bla. But now, I know how to instruct anyone how to do what I need to do as long as he has the energy required. That's it. I went to my drawing board and I worked it out. Depending on workers is a bull crap these days. If you dont want to give yourself hypertension, just find your way around it.

Take note that your NL consultants will start preaching this soon like they first implemented Tues things. Lol.

If you use salary paid workers, there is no point awarding yourself more than 1 here.

Marketing and Sales
No matter where you are in the North and SW, you can always sell easily if you pknow what you are doing. The challenge of market for vegetables is no more there again.

Even agents are competing with each other, but they can still cheat you. Award yourself 0 to average if you dont really have strong bonds and networks in the market cos you will be cheated one way of the other. I have helped many people. And many people who go to market dont even know they are cheated. Even after helping some to get better deals, they still go behind me to cut corners. I always laugh cos these people always tell me the truth. Farmers are funny. Honestly. They dig their own pit. There are many Famers who have been regular in market for more than10 years and are still not getting it right. If you show them a way, rather than wait to learn more, they quickly cut you off. Lol. I have seen too much that I cannot just write all here. Even during off season, some farmers who understand market dynamics still sell well. When you are full of deception and you tell lies, then you know that you cannot last no matter how much you have to invest in it.

Award yourself 1 - 5 here.

But this is a serious issue. If you give yourself 3 or more, but in reality you sre 0 or 1, this can crush your farm.

Note
1. The activities which have 1 - 5 points above are deadly. They have the tendency of crushing you faster than the ones with higher points. What I discussed above are success rates and not failure rates. They are two different systems.

2. Aim at 95 points out of 100 if you will go there and make profit the first time. For breakeven up to 10% profit, I think minimum of 85% is required. Listen, anything less than 70%, dont even near it near. Try to see how you can aim at 95% to have a "surebet". This is what ai aim at for my personal projects.

3. 0.95 probability out of one is a sure bet. Remember that the winning team always has a lower odd in sport betting. This 95% equals 1.95. I will talk more about this in my next lost.

95% is my standard. If you dont have it, forget about working with me. But if you must work with me, we must increase it first to 95%. Anyone can do it. There are different strategies you can use to increae it. This is what I do these days. I increase the winning probability of owners (solely my friends) instead of actually working with them on farms. And it takes long conversations over a long period of time to break all barriers. Many issues to solve - irrigation, soil amendment, staking styles, varieties of seeds, choice of crops, rotation or mixed farming, how big to expand, to go into processing or not? to bring in advance tech or not? Etc.

You may buy irrigation and mulch even 12 months ahead of the date you will use them. It always happen. This is what many dont know. Even you dont have the plan of going to farm right now, you increase your chance of winning by getting your equipment now so you can get the best. But when you start rushing since you want to meet rainy season tomato or pepper, you are at the mercy of sellers. These issues add points to or subtract points from your winning rating.

The winning Business Plan
The above is just a guide. There are more to these things. Your chance of winning with a well planned business plan is high.

This is why I am.always amazed when people ask for free business plans. You must tweak the plan to work for you. The same plan cannot work for everyone. You are burying yourself if you rely on a rubbish plan posted online to lure you into failure. You will pay much more for not creating a plan for yourself. If you have to spend over a million to create a working plan which includes the above, it's worth it. And you cannot rely on any other person to do it for your small scale farm. You just need to do it yourself. If it's a big farm, it's another ball game. Well, I wont say pay consultants so you dont say I want to make you spend, but you need to consult one. And if you pick any one in abroad, you will pay in dollars. So the task is on you to find a good Nigerian who knows the game excellently, and pay him well. If you cut corners, believe me, you are dead already. It is a law which doesn't fail.

If you want to be good, then, you must dedicate time for research. You cannot be working to be skillful and think of making profits at the same time. If you are into profit making, then, you have to rely on good people. And how you choose them is your call. But if you want to do it yourself, then, set a time to do many pilots and research well. This is how I built myself. When you research, you dont make profit. So, the question of making profit is out of it temporarily. But if you want to make profit, and you dont want to dedicate time to making research, but you think you can use and dump people, you have killed yourself. Or you think good consultants and farmers shouldn't be paid well, you are joking. When you start farming, you will understand better. You cannot move far if you dont k kw how to pay well or do it yourself. Why? This Nigeria is a tight market. You will meet the person you cheated somewhere in the future. And pray the person has a forgiven spirit. Else, you will see yourself being blocked everywhere. I have seen this play many times. And I always laugh at people who are smart. What they dont know is that they have killed that big dream from the start cos of greediness and dishonesty. Do you know how many calls for evaluation I receive monthly? When you get to a stage, professors, researchers, business men, investors, etc will start sending you stuff and proposals. They want to know if you have worked with someone who brings proposals to them. It's like background check. See eh! I have to be loyal to the person who asks me for honest evaluation. I recently marked someone a thick red, and the investor told me that he too saw the signal but when he saw on his resume he has worked with me, he knows I will give him a good evaluation. I just have to be honest. That's me. And I have given many others excellent recommendation that they were shocked when they even heard later on that their boss contacted me. They didnt even know how it happened. It's a small world.

Think well. Many things determine your success. Dont act irrationally or greedily. Always keep to verbal agreements. Agric is a world different from others you cheat people anyhow and get away easily.You are the loser if you do this. Mark my words.
hahahaha I am among those who opted for okra, keep dishing out the wisdom boss, we learning
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 9:59pm On Dec 10, 2021
The evil in Nigerians
I was earlier today on a corn thread, and I saw the evil in men. Everyone who is a famer in the south knows that farmers cannot rely on rain again for anything in SW. But some evil men asked a new farmer who pleaded with a sincere heart to move forward and cultivate 12 acres of corn without irrigation.

Do not gamble with your money. Better you purchase equipment which includes drip which is an asset, and you can use another time if you know what you are doing. Not attending an entrepreneurship program is a gamble on it's own. I dont understand how most people prefer paying for only expenses. Expenses are money you cannot recover. You cant recover the money you used for clearing, making beds, purchase of seeds, chemicals, etc. The money you use to buy fertilizers, chemicals re still even ok if you dont use them or open them. They can be preserved and used another time. But the money you used to clear land if you dont work on the land, it is wasted. So, why put more effort in such? Salaries and money you paid casual workers are gone and cannot be recovered. Yet, gamblers rush to pay for these first. What should you buy first? Get your assets first...and get quality. I still have quality stuff I pull out when moving to farm, and I pack them after production.

Be very careful with suggestions posted on Nairalamd. Most of these people are evil. Evil to the core. All they want is your money. They have sealed their conscience and some of them work with mods. Be very careful. If they make you run at loss, the same set of people will insult you when you return here to make complain. The days we are living in presently are evil because many of them are evil.

Please, do not take my words as the right ones without cross checking them. Information I have gathered on this forum is so much. At the right time, more truths will start unfolding. Many of you will be shocked. You might have seen me slammed some people recently...if there was no reason, I wouldnt do it. They know why I slammed them. Of course evil people know when you hit them right on the spot they feel it most.

The cost of everything has gone up. Even government is trying to remove subsidy in fuel. Also, we read today that they are trying to make Tax Idenfixation Number as a requirement for open bank accounts from 2022. The rate of inflation is high. But then, no matter how much you spend, you will make back your money. For instance, 1 ha tomato farm max sales was around N5million some years ago. Of course people are making 60 tons per hectare these days. Yes, farmers in SW are making it these days. And what is the sales? Close to N20milliin naira. If you spend N5milliin and make N14 million profit, will you say farming is expensive? But you want to gamble to make the same N14million profit, yet, you dont want to buy the right equipment to take you there. Hmmmm!

Many of these boys here are not your friends. They are failures and it is your duty to identify them so you can avoid them.

3 Likes

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 12:44am On Dec 27, 2021
5 things necessary for a successful vegetable business
Since Covid-19 has changed everything, you need to restrategize too. Mark my words, all these old school farmers will collapse soon. It is better you change before it is too late.

1. Knowledge
This is why you are here. Use the internet for everything. Get knowledge. Search, search, and search. Do pilots.

2. Your presence
If you arent on farm, forget it. You can try with a manager you trust, but have it in mind that it can fail. From my experience so far, owners who arent on farm fail. This is peculiar o only Nigeria. So, I have stopped working with owners who cannot supervise their projects actively themselves. I don't listen to only weekend visitors. I deal with people who can supervise their farms themselves these days.

3. Fund
Lack of fund has lead many to improvisinh, and they always suffer the loss. That man telling you that you can do it cheap is handy. The man can fix many things himself. But you need to employ different people to fix many things for you. You need fund. And in order not to rely on too many people, use money to get tech to Dp if for you.

4. Tech
This is the future.

5. Forward failures
You can fail at the first 3 attempts. So prepare for it. It is just unfortunate almost everyone dont even prepare for failure. They want to make it the first time. Fail, learn, and get it right.

1 Like

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by dorispray: 9:49am On Dec 27, 2021
Attit:
5 things necessary for a successful vegetable business
Since Covid-19 has changed everything, you need to restrategize too. Mark my words, all these old school farmers will collapse soon. It is better you change before it is too late.

1. Knowledge
This is why you are here. Use the internet for everything. Get knowledge. Search, search, and search. Do pilots.

2. Your presence
If you arent on farm, forget it. You can try with a manager you trust, but have it in mind that it can fail. From my experience so far, owners who arent on fail fail. This isnpeculiat to only Nigeria. So, I have stopped working with owners who cannot supervise their projects actively themselves. I dont listen to only weekend visitors. O deal with people who can supefvisedsioy these days

3. Fund
Lack of fund has lead many to improvising, and they always suffer the loss. That man telling you that you can do it cheap is handy. The man can fix many things himself. But you need to employ different people to fix many things for you. You eed fund. And in order not to rely on too many people, use money to get tech to Dp if for you.

4. Tech
This is the future.

5. Forward failures
You can fail at the first 3 attempts. So prepare for it. It is just unfortunate almost everyone dont even prepare for failure. They want to make it the first time. Fail, learn, and get it right.
Compliments of the season to you boss.

You're truly blessed as you keep dishing out useful information to people who are wise and patience enough to read through your lengthy BUT honest write-ups every time.

I can't stop taking my time to carefully read through the lines and pick up knowledge embedded within the messages.

Keep up with the good works sir

1 Like

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 6:12am On Dec 28, 2021
2022 is here already.

You can improvise ONLY when you are handy
Are you handy? Can you fixed things yourself? If you call an artisan, how much do they charge for just the tiniest work? Put yourself in their shoes, can you feed yourself and your family qith the amount you propose to give them monthly? Be honest. When you were growing and single, do you think you would have this day if you took the same value you propose to give them? Would you have worked well for your employer?

From my own point view, at least, N60,000 is for any single person who has no one to feed. For married people, at least N150,000 salary. Why do you think you can build a successful career with unhappy workers? And knowing you cannot breakthrough paying them such amount, should you not think well? OK. How many have been successful even on Nairaland? Do you want to hear the truth? Only those who are handy. Yes, those who can fix almost everything themselves. Search well. Those posting pictures here are the main workforce on their farms. Can you handle hoes yourself? Lol.

So, if you cannot do manual hard work yourself, and you want to be successful, you have no choice, use tech. Your cost of start up will be so high, but you will be effective. You cannot buy tech and leave it in the hands of unskilled labor. You must be there to handle it yourself: else, you will cry.

Most of these people who attacked me are failures. And return to posts here, those who are successful among those who criticized are already using what they condemned. Lol. The issue is that you are the foolish one. Everything you picture the rich using is expensive to you because you do not see yourself rich. This is why you depend on the government for everything. But who brought wealth to this world when born?

50 - 50
The odd for everyone is 50 - 50 to be successful. I do not disagree that location is an advantage. Also, having rich parents is a plus. But, we all have equal chance. Why?

Information is the new gold
I read many comments. Even some call me internet farmers. But easily, you can spot their inexperience. When their fathers have tested me with technical questions and I answered, and they confessed that surely, this is a farmer, they still say it. Not that I am bragging, but an adage says wisdom is more powerful than strength. Lol. Why then do you want to spend your time on manual jobs on your farm when you have tech which csn resolve it? All you need to do is to learn it. These are the things I give here and privately. I will nog steo on your farm. Never. But without stepping a foot on it, I can tell you what to expect and what to do. It's your own fault if you fail, and your gain if you win.

The handy man tells you he spends N500k for 1 acre, and you know you arent handy. Yet, you want to force the dame N500k or even less. Who gets the job done? Oh...the poor people. And do you think they are happy? The consultant will simply tell you he can find. And that's your business what happens after. All he wants is his gain. But you see one who advises you, wakes you up cos of your farm, and you are rude thinking you have paid all? No wahala....you will see.

It is a continuous effort
The day you cut out or out smart the ones who are lifting you is the day you start to die. The first thing I check in people is those who are tricky. And if I find such, I play along just to convince myself. The way you see me, do you think I can be intimidated? Or do you think I need your money? But at times, I deliberately play along. What I can tell you is that...the human heart is desperately wicked. Just let's leave this for another day. But out of all these people who I have noticed, I have not see one of them make it. They all go down. All of them. This is why I value networking and I keep my friendship intact with good people.

1 Like

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 6:21am On Dec 28, 2021
3 groups who should not farm
After interacting with different groups, I have found these groups to be non productive. If you are in this group, forget farming.

1. Civil Servants: Just forget it. You have no time to supervise.

2. Those who depend on consultants 100%: Uiu are the worst in this present Nigeria. You can do this if you are abroad and your farm is there, but not in Nigeria.

3. Old Skool farmers: If you depend on their experience, you will fail like them.

Dont be deceived with the slogan: Multiple Sources of Income rocks
Yes, I know diversification is good. But in Nigeria, do not diversify into agriculture if you cannot monitor it well. I mean 24/7 supervision. It has to be your business. It doesnt have to be your main source of income, but that time you are on a project,it is a full time job. But you can combine other things with it since it's only supervision you are doing. This is why you need to put into consideration these things.

Now I have started working with forward looking people. Let me tell you who I work with now.

1 Like

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 6:53am On Dec 28, 2021
Who I work with now.
I had to create my new world. I was tired of the backward people. Some see my words as insults, but let me say it here: only non forward looking people see them like this. Really it doesnt bkther me what others think about my style because the truth is always the truth. The truth is that I can only put here old school practical stuff. Lol. That's what many of them want to see. Lol. What is new in mulch? And can they still afford it? Or do they want to consider if? I believe they can afford it, but they just dont want to hesr about it. But not until they start seeing even poorer people using them. But the issue is that when you are the type who is always late to join the trend of innovation, h.mmmmm... Ask traders why it is important to spot trends fast. Lol.

So, who are the forward looking people in my network?

1. Post Graduate students studying abroad: Some pay as much as $15,000 yearly even after they deduct their financial aid packages from their total annual expenses. Some of them have found ways to assit themselves with vegetable production. 3 months in Nigeria is enough to get it done. Funny, summer is rainy season in Nigeria. That's a big plus. I am still working on perfecting the program.

2. Pensioners: I honestly run away from them, but when I see a forward looking pensioners, I advise only. I dont want to put my hands in their stuff cos they are very delicate. I cannot work with Pele who have very low risk tolerant level. However, I have met some good ones. The only reason I consider this group is cos they have enough time to manage their projects.

3. Remote workers: These are my favorites. I always emphasize picking regions with good internet facility and investing in moveable power system. They can do their jobs where they live which must be very close to their farm. So, getting farms close to river is out of it. Their own capital start up is totally different. But they make it big. This is me also presently.

4. Traders:
Forex, Crypto, Future traders are also on the list. Farming vegetable is a skill which can put their mind at rest for life.

So, you can see clearly that I work with legit hustlers, and not those pen robbers in government offices who are users. Those ones want to stay in their offices while they use their stolen funds on farms. While it may be possible in other places, it cannot work in this present Nigeria with the way everyone has turned out to be presently.

How many of those generals are successful with their farms? If you say Obasanjo is successful, maybe only when he was in power. Look well into this. Is Buhari really a successful with his cows? Look into it well. But look at the dairy site of USAID and what do you see?

It is not like the cost of food is cheaper in Nigeria. Or is it? Yes, I am talking in terms of dollars. Have you not noticed poor people dont cook at home again? They prefer buying already cooked food. Why? Those local places they buy food always buy spoilt food items which are cheap. Go and buy quality and healthy ones, and then compare with the price yoy buy them abroad. Of course, they arent cheap. Yet, you want to produce them cheaper. I do not know how you think it is possible. And the person you rely on, how far has he gone? Lol.

Buy quality materials and give yourself time to fail forward.. If you invest 5 million in a place free from bandits and herdmen, you van make it. I have stopped searching for land near river cos security comes first now. 3 years ago, my main arsenal for cost reduction is land near water. But not anymore again. Things change, and we must change with it. Many cannot even drill borehole. Lol. Rhe cost alone is out of reach. Well, you may take fake the risk just one time...but do you want to continue taking such high risk? My friend, you will cough out N10million when you see heads rolling on the floor. Do you want such?

Those pictures you see....the guys doing them are handy. If you ask them to replicate it on your farm and you dont pay them well, you are in trouble. But I am telling you, it is cheaper to use tech and forget their ways so you dont rely on anyone. Their initial estimates will be lovely. But as soon as you have locked yourself in the project, more demands start. Lol. And that's how you turn to their ATM. The smart man or woman turns to the dumbest person on earth soon.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Lanjonath(m): 10:31am On Dec 28, 2021
Attit:
Who I work with now.
I had to create my new world. I was tired of the backward people. Some see my words as insults, but let me say it here: only non forward looking people see them like this. Really it doesnt bkther me what others think about my style because the truth is always the truth. The truth is that I can only put here old school practical stuff. Lol. That's what many of them want to see. Lol. What is new in mulch? And can they still afford it? Or do they want to consider if? I believe they can afford it, but they just dont want to hesr about it. But not until they start seeing even poorer people using them. But the issue is that when you are the type who is always late to join the trend of innovation, h.mmmmm... Ask traders why it is important to spot trends fast. Lol.

So, who are the forward looking people in my network?

1. Post Graduate students studying abroad: Some pay as much as $15,000 yearly even after they deduct their financial aid packages from their total annual expenses. Some of them have found ways to assit themselves with vegetable production. 3 months in Nigeria is enough to get it done. Funny, summer is rainy season in Nigeria. That's a big plus. I am still working on perfecting the program.

2. Pensioners: I honestly run away from them, but when I see a forward looking pensioners, I advise only. I dont want to put my hands in their stuff cos they are very delicate. I cannot work with Pele who have very low risk tolerant level. However, I have met some good ones. The only reason I consider this group is cos they have enough time to manage their projects.

3. Remote workers: These are my favorites. I always emphasize picking regions with good internet facility and investing in moveable power system. They can do their jobs where they live which must be very close to their farm. So, getting farms close to river is out of it. Their own capital start up is totally different. But they make it big. This is me also presently.

4. Traders:
Forex, Crypto, Future traders are also on the list. Farming vegetable is a skill which can put their mind at rest for life.

So, you can see clearly that I work with legit hustlers, and not those pen robbers in government offices who are users. Those ones want to stay in their offices while they use their stolen funds on farms. While it may be possible in other places, it cannot work in this present Nigeria with the way everyone has turned out to be presently.

How many of those generals are successful with their farms? If you say Obasanjo is successful, maybe only when he was in power. Look well into this. Is Buhari really a successful with his cows? Look into it well. But look at the dairy site of USAID and what do you see?

It is not like the cost of food is cheaper in Nigeria. Or is it? Yes, I am talking in terms of dollars. Have you not noticed poor people dont cook at home again? They prefer buying already cooked food. Why? Those local places they buy food always buy spoilt food items which are cheap. Go and buy quality and healthy ones, and then compare with the price yoy buy them abroad. Of course, they arent cheap. Yet, you want to produce them cheaper. I do not know how you think it is possible. And the person you rely on, how far has he gone? Lol.

Buy quality materials and give yourself time to fail forward.. If you invest 5 million in a place free from bandits and herdmen, you van make it. I have stopped searching for land near river cos security comes first now. 3 years ago, my main arsenal for cost reduction is land near water. But not anymore again. Things change, and we must change with it. Many cannot even drill borehole. Lol. Rhe cost alone is out of reach. Well, you may take fake the risk just one time...but do you want to continue taking such high risk? My friend, you will cough out N10million when you see heads rolling on the floor. Do you want such?

Those pictures you see....the guys doing them are handy. If you ask them to replicate it on your farm and you dont pay them well, you are in trouble. But I am telling you, it is cheaper to use tech and forget their ways so you dont rely on anyone. Their initial estimates will be lovely. But as soon as you have locked yourself in the project, more demands start. Lol. And that's how you turn to their ATM. The smart man or woman turns to the dumbest person on earth soon.

Well said sir,I always look forward to your posts and I agree. Success isn't for everyone, it's only for those who are ready to go the distance for what it takes to achieve it.

Keep up the good work
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 11:17am On Dec 28, 2021
Lanjonath:

Well said sir,I always look forward to your posts and I agree. Success isn't for everyone, it's only for those who are ready to go the distance for what it takes to achieve it.

Keep up the good work
My brother,
I am always happy with feedbacks. See, my audience are not the noise makers here. The future is my audience. And who are they? The ones who will build the digital economy of Nigeria. Most people think I studied Agric. Nope, but I have written so much about it. It is all about economics for me. One would think Prof Osinbajo is an economist. That man is a lawyer, and he is not doing bad compared to what Ngozi Iweala die. If you are to ask me, I think he is more versatile and even more brilliant. This is the truth.

Why am I saying this? He knows the future is not oil. He is the one holding the future of our economy. All Buhari is doing is borrowing. Well, infrastructure rehabilitation is very necessary and since the likes of Obasanjo, Yaradua and Jonathan could not eradicate corruption, it continues, and therefore, the only option left is to borrow. Lol. They will soon sell us all. Lol...but building those infrastructures is very important. And then, we will see the next thing that will happen. Nigeria will shoot upward soon. Lagos is about becoming the most digitalized city in Africa. I can imagine what is going to happen in the next 20 years if the following conditions are met:

1. Rehabilitation continues and we move into sky scrappers development
2. Power is fixed
3. Capital punishment for corruption
4. A leader good with economics comes in. I'm talking about the likes of Soludo, Iweala, Osinbajo, and Akinwunmi. One more person - Tinubu. Just that he is controversial and might have some issues around him which I personally cannot make him my choice. But if he gets there, we will experience massive progressive development.

Alright, when you know this is the future, why do you want to stay behind? I do not understand at all. Why would anyone looking forward display hoes and cutlass practice on Nairaland? It is not funny at all.

Or maybe they cannot still see the future? I think many here cannot. The future which is already here. Imagine someone still shouting and going crazy about oil. Lol.

Yes, success isnt for everyone. In fact , not for most people. You see, as soon as you start depending on government, I cut you off my network. Why? Those who depend on government are slaves. Meanwhile, I like those who government depends on. Lol. Of course, you can make yourself one of those government depends on.

30 people Only
Why cant 30 people use tech to collaborate? I keep saying this to many people. Yes, you all cannot do 1 ha alone, but you can do half plot...and then combine it into a single project so that common assets like borehole, pumps, and common expenses like fuel, installation, etc can be shared equally. Imagine paying 1/30 of such amount. That's a big relieve..So, why cant 30 ppl come together? These days tech is there for everything. Collorate online and get your stuff together. Nope, they want to do their own thing which they do not have the mo ey to fund. Even they arrive, one or two will scatter the whole group. Lol. What kind of mentality is that? But I doubt if 30 forward looking people come together. If I see 30 people in their early 20s who have just finished university and have just finished NYSC, these are the right set. Not when there is one who has been frustrated with life and is looking for who to consult for. Lol. That one will destroy all.

Find people of same brain and mindset. Cut off scammers. You can detect scammer with tech. Very easy. Go in together, and make it. It is just once. And then, find your way. That's it. Those old skools cannot understand what we are saying. See, they will want you yo travel miles to meet them. For what? Lol. But funny, the cases I hear these days are funny cases. They take their millions to these scammers themselves. Meanwhile, they left good brains and good people out. Why? They are simply incompetent. They dont know how to use tech to do these things..lol.. their own is that they want to see videos and pictures. And these scammers know how to deceive them. Lol. Not saying anyone who posted videos and pics are scammers. In fact, there are good people here. But my point is that these people are mostly handy. And then, people want to depend on them. Do you really think they will do your farm which wont fetch him/her profit so much attention?

Success is not for everyone indeed. This is always the case: 0ver 95% lose their money cos they arent competent. They always fall into scams. And it's simple. If you cannot develop your own business plan you are already incompetent. You dont knkw what you need to buy, you are in soup.

Yes, success is for very few people. If you ask me, I think it is not up to 0.0000001% of the Nigerian population.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by emmaachile2(m): 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2021
Attit:
3 groups who should not farm
After interacting with different groups, I have found these groups to be non productive. If you are in this group, forget farming.

1. Civil Servants: Just forget it. You have no time to supervise.

2. Those who depend on consultants 100%: Uiu are the worst in this present Nigeria. You can do this if you are abroad and your farm is there, but not in Nigeria.

3. Old Skool farmers: If you depend on their experience, you will fail like them.

Dont be deceived with the slogan: Multiple Sources of Income rocks
Yes, I know diversification is good. But in Nigeria, do not diversify into agriculture if you cannot monitor it well. I mean 24/7 supervision. It has to be your business. It doesnt have to be your main source of income, but that time you are on a project,it is a full time job. But you can combine other things with it since it's only supervision you are doing. This is why you need to put into consideration these things.

Now I have started working with forward looking people. Let me tell you who I work with now.
Haha. I am trying to setup a 2 hectare farm to plant trees of 2.5*2.5m and the cost implication for only irrigation is not childs play. The old skool farmers will always find a way to cut out these expenses especially if they stay in Southern Nigeria where rainfall is more regular. If you have no funds and must farm, many will do without irrigation which is not ideal at all.
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 1:58pm On Dec 28, 2021
emmaachile2:

Haha. I am trying to setup a 2 hectare farm to plant trees of 2.5*2.5m and the cost implication for only irrigation is not childs play. The old skool farmers will always find a way to cut out these expenses especially if they stay in Southern Nigeria where rainfall is more regular. If you have no funds and must farm, many will do without irrigation which is not ideal at all.
As handy as you are, you are still complaining about the cost. I am sure, you are getting your materials from the cheapest source. Now, I do not know the fate of someone who says he/she is not old skool, but depending on consultants for JAMB expo. Lol. The issue is that, they wont even buy what you are trying to buy. And you will even find it hard to tell them buy what you are buying. But man must chop. So, the idea is no irrigation. I hope you read a thread about 12 acres corn recently where I cursed the future of some people. The guys boldly asked the "innocent" man to use rain for 12 acres. Did I just write innocent? grin Which innocent? The guy asking for favor himself is a "guy man".

I was in Seoul recently, and when I looked at how this city has transformed into a mega tech city, seriously I find it hard to believe they gained independence the decade or some years before most African countries. I went to some farms in their Agricultural cities and I was blown away with the kind of technology I saw there.

And funny, I met their professors praising a few Nigerians there who are brains. My flight back to Lagos was silent. I was in deep thought and I had to ask for red wine so I could doze off. On landing, my heart sank seeing hungry and angry faces at Muritala Muhamed Airport...immigration trying to extort money from travellers. Hmmm.

Brother, I do not know who my write ups will help, but I just wish we can change.

Maybe you should get 1 to 3 plots of vegetable done first to raise cash (if you have labor or if you can it yourself alone). Even if it's a plot near you, it can help you pay off debt. I have done it. I asked for a favor from a seller, but I made sure I have a plot I manage myself. Cos I want it successful and since I can manage 1 plot without any help and it's near me, I used the profit as back up plan for installment payment of the materials.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 1:15am On Dec 29, 2021
Higher death rates
I have thought about it seriously. I have a deep sense of unrest many months ago because I know what the change we are about experiencing will do. I mean, this is a total turn around.

Lack of income will kill so many very soon. There will be many useless old people. The only saviour for people will be real estate - income from rents which I know many will lose also gradually.

NIN will detain, arrest and lock up many in Nigeria. I read about a new visa to the US for YouTube marketers. Hmmmm. Can't you see where the world js heading? You still don't understand Covid-19 is a tool for change? Are you adapting well?

If you do not start looking forward, you will sink along with the history. But luckily for you, agric cannot die. You only need to upgrade yourself fast.

Set up cost will continue sky rocketing
I am not sure if land will get cheaper, but I am certain equipment will get more expensive. Our phones will take over many things. Tech based on voice and images will come into play seriously.

China may acquire land in my African nations
And then, they start farming for you. But the sad part is that they will not need you. The future is not like the days when expats set up and they employ citizens. This will not happen. They are going to set up and machines will do the repetitive and hard jobs. Since you have refused to start now, someone will do it soon. Mark my words.

Many will return to this thread, and they will be full of regrets. Mark my words. But you can escape it.

You drive uber and you are happy. I am sorry for you cos you will soon be out of job. Transportation is one of the main businesses for hustlers, but listen, machine is taking over soon. And Nigeria will nog be an exception. Lagos is moving towards this. Listen, all these yellow buses are going off the road. Drivers wont be needed soon.

Do you work as a builder? You are getting out of job soon. Mark my words.

If your job requires strength, you are in trouble if you dont change. The future workforce is cognitive. Robots are taking over repetitive jobs. Farm jobs are going to be taking over by machine soon. And you can imagine how much it will cost to set up just under a plot then. Hmmm! This is why you will no longer be in the game. Only big boys will be.

I will talk about the future small scale in my next post. If you do not act now, you will sink with history. Mark my words.
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 1:52am On Dec 29, 2021
The farm of the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwSZa-1hQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-BVLWkmK9w

I know you have seen templates like these, but they are becoming reality soon. I will tell you how. Hmmm. If you like keep doing the useless watery can Agriculture and do not move fast into the future.

I am sorry for you. Look at it again:
1 ha can give us 20 tons today by good farmers. Of course in abroad, it is far more than this. And sales is N6million to N12 million. And that's massive profit for N4million set up cost.

What of if we fix power and shoots it to 150tons. Of course, it is 100 to 120tons today which is very easy to get. But I know it will even be 300 to 500 tons very soon. But let's just assume 150tons. Wow! And the cost of production (not set up) will even be lower than the local farm we have now. It's only the set up up which will be a killer. Lol. So, what do you think? Why wont China come here to set up when the prices of vegetables here arent cheap? Just let govt fix power which is coming into play very soon, and you will see how you are getting out of jobs.

It will not happen gradually. Mark my words, if will happen suddenly that you will be shocked. It will happen with max of 5 years and everything will change. And then, government will start telling you to pay for license to grow food. Lol. They will start asking for high VAT and tax soon. Just wait and see.

So what is your fate?

Remote controlled farms
You will be shocked. The real growers will sit on their computers in Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai while the farms are in Africa. Just few workers will be in the farm maintaining less technical issues. Will they even need securities? Lol. That time, maybe killer drones will be licensed out. Lol.

If by 2030 and open farming is still done manually like it is presently, then, Africa is doomed. And set up will even be more expensive.

Regardless of whether Africa catches up or not, materials will go up. I do not see this drip tapes we presently import to Nigeria as a reasonable tech in the next 10 years. I see it obsolete by then, but maybe China will still be manufacturing it for Africans. But the issue is that by then, it will still be out of reach for many. It will even be harder. So, why dont you try your best now and learn modern ways.

Start small, but never with watery cans
Do not start if you cannot set up well. Forget it.

1 Like

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by emmaachile2(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2021
Similar farms exist in Nigeria like one in Abeokuta using hydroponics system. He trains people almost monthly free of charge on the farm and even give out loans to some.
Those who want to learn online are charged a token
https://sfarmlab.com/gallery/

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 4:41pm On Dec 29, 2021
emmaachile2:
Similar farms exist in Nigeria like one in Abeokuta using hydroponics system. He trains people almost monthly free of charge on the farm and even give out loans to some.
Those who want to learn online are charged a token
https://sfarmlab.com/gallery/

Not bad at all. It is a very good start. Yeah! Most of those materials are imported from China, which aren't bad. I went through the website, and it is an excellent basic soiless production. Though, i still saw soil there.

The main challenge West Africa is facing soon is high temperature. There is an article I read recently where some places the temperature is predicted to reach 50C soon, not even 40C.

Also, we arent producing coir, peat and other media. As much as I like them, I see hydroponics loving towards only less water applications. Or we start producing coir in Nigeria which will be great. I know someone will pick up that business very soon.

(Please, note that...."you" in this post is not directed towards you)
Well, as regards the templates I saw there, I may not recommend it now cos it's hard on large scale except the bagging system for some crops. Well, if I want to hit it big, honestly, i dont mind doing it if I have the time. Most do not know what it takes. They want rushed fast paced work. Ok. There is this guy whose cousin is a friend and he told me he wanted to raise £20,000 for his studies in the UK. I said no wahala and I sat down and worked out what worked for him. Bro, I haven't seen such determination in my life. This guy was so determined. Guy man wanted to bag 40,000 15-liters soil bags. OMG! And he wanted to use I think cobra or so. We went through the cost, and he was like...he could do it. And he timed himself..... I do not want to say the period he gave himself but not days, not even weeks. I said OK. And I told him to wait. I got a seed for him more expensive, but lesser bags to fill. Instead of 40,000, he needs just 10,000 ONLY. And he so happy.... and he said he would cover 12,000. I said no wahala. See German machine! I was shocked. I gave him the procedure. Do you know the amazing thing he did? he drafted one of siblings in. And see two machines. Yeah...they used labor, but you cant know the difference ooo. I gave them 10kg - 15kg per plant and they got 6.5kg average. It was on open field. The reason they got lower was that the root system of the plants was too massive for 10-liters bag. Setting it to high priced period, they brought out £23,000 sales. That was how the guy went with £14,000...settled his sibling, and then reserved cash for a return match. Both of us knew he would get job to cover the remain £7,000 without touching the reserve. The guy has called his sibling to get the ball rolling again. He didn't come last year cos he said he was busy. Now, he is coming. And the cousin is already doing the hard work. The guy has even gotten a better variety (less robust rooting system). I told him to go to Holland himself, and he did. He tested it very well, and even sent it to his bro here to test last year on a plot in the hot weather. That is it ooo. One must know what he is doing. At least, he started with a seed which isnnot bad, and after his first round, he knows what he is to do to optimize it. Sure, the brother got 12.3kg per plant with his pilot. The variety was actually made for hydroponics system and one of the attribute is less robust rooting system. But see all thes ones here, they just run towards one cheap one. If you ask them the characteristics of rhe variety, they don't know. If they dont know such basic thing, how can they ever be successful?

I keep telling them. Nigeria doesnt have agro extension officers paid for these kind of jobs. These are what govt should do, and not subsidizing inputs which is a means of looting. You do not even need to ask around the kind of seed to use for your farm, all what one needs to do is call the offices of these experts and they advise one. But we dont have such system here. We just must do it ourselves. But the way many choose is by costs and what works for farmers here. Lol. How will they be successful? Honestly, I dont know.

Bro, see eh, when you look forward, you will make it. I even begged him to get me some too. I shared the idea of developing a place where he will have everything there, and he loved it. He is an excellent importer also. I am sure he is working towards importing solar panel, batteries, inverter, charger, dc appliances etc.

Nothing is impossible. I always tell people. But most are lazy and they want to save costs at the same time. They cannot work in the sun, they cannot carry just 8 liters of water (half of knapsack) at their back, they cannot prune, they cannot even stay 30 mins on the farm, they cannot live near farm, even visiting is wahala for them; yet, they want to pay workers N15,000 to N20,000 per month. They think they are doing the manager a favor by paying him N30,000. Lol. I just shake my head and pity these kind of people. But when you are a German machine yourself, and you pay a worker N20k, the worker will even be very happy with you. Personally, I know I cannot do these things, so, if I employ you....then, I am paying you well, but I will start and finish with you daily. No process you will do without me. And recently, I use casuals only. I do not want wahala again. Better I pay daily amount, do my job excellently....let me spend...I dont care.... and I will surely see the result. But you want me to come do it for you....you are a joke. smiley

It doesnt make sense to say: pay workers thousands to sterilize soil for you....but if it comes to it, I will do it. But I must be there to supervise them. Anyway, it will never come to that since I will be on farm. Trust me. But you want to cross your leg at home and order them to do it....you are a joke. And the process must be smooth. You just pay one manager to supervise them, you are wasting your resources. Or you ask people you pay N20k per month to sterilize for you and you dont know how to tackle them, it is on you. They will even start complaining seriously like it is not part of their job. I am serious.

So, one must know exactly what one is facing on farm and be ready to tackle them. But most people after paying one consultant, they just relax and expect the person to do magic. If things start failing, they start crying and shouting. I always pity these people.

Meanwhile, there are more than 15 people who have asked me to pilot them with just 300sqm greenhouse. The best of them sterilized 125 bags and gave up. So, who is to be blamed? So, they expected me to monitor their workers? What will the best agro technician do when workers arent motivated? Or when the working condition isnt favorable? Farming work is about strategic planning. It is not about using money to press down workers. Not about depending on one guy in the village who has promised to get boys to do it. The person is on his/her own. The owner is not there, and the boys said they sterilized soil....hahahha. That was how one was arguing with me after his plants started dying after transplanting. I asked...are you sure they sterilized the soil. Yes. He answered affirmatively. Ok. Give them another set of bags to sterilized. He was grumbling about the cost of buying bags...ok. I supplied him bags. That was how we set traps, and they were caught mixing unsterilized with sterilized at the end of the day. They actually sterilized some, but they mix with unsterilized to get the job done faster. I told him to get me my money for the bags instantly, and I cut ties with him. Very lazy man and a bloody liar. The set of people I hate most are liars. No wonder they lied to him too. I avoid liars with everything in me.

Many people are hopeless in this Nigeria. And funny, they always get angry when one tells them the truth. Lol. Even here. Imagine one uses his bare hands to hold an abnormality after carrying out autopsy. grin He was arguing and even passing insults before I bashed him well. And funny, another illiterate came around grin shouting on her head. Lol. They think one is just insulting them...but really, that person needed a hot slap to reset her brain, and on top, she ought to knee to say thanks. grin

Sir, thanks for this link. It is good to know people are already thinking forward. And the template of the setup has got modern Agritech characteristics. The founder needs to be encouraged. And I like the free training part (internship).

We need more of this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Attit: 2:34am On Dec 30, 2021
I wish everyone success in 2022. And I hope I have paid my debt (the people concerned know themselves).

The email attached to this account will be opened for anyone, but really, this is a promise fulfilled, and I am so relieved. I have kept my promise, and I hope I can move on silently with my life. Those who understand this understand why I am saying so now.

Again, send me email as I wont be posting for a while. I wish everyone the best.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by Bounce9533: 11:32am On Mar 07, 2022
Contact Bosun Agricbusiness and consultancy on 08125482557 if you're interested in venturing into either of crop production or animal husbandry business.
Re: Fixed Odds Vegetable Production by aceonline: 12:33pm On Apr 13, 2022
Nice Article. Thanks for posting. Enroll for GATE Coaching Best in India for more information

(1) (Reply)

Farm Land Needed In Rivers State For Purchase / Which Agric Business Can I Start With 300k Capital / Miracle Fruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 360
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.