Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,049 members, 7,821,613 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Help Me Make A Good Decision! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help Me Make A Good Decision! (823 Views)

Did I Make A Good Decision?? I Need Advice Fam / Why Getting Married When You Are Struggling Financially Is A Bad Decision! / Help Me Make A Decision On What Mattress To Buy (vitafoam Or Mouka) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2021
Please I need some advice so I don’t get fvcked up (sorry for the F word).

So presently, I’m serving at one the eastern states in Nigeria and I have no intention of going back to my parents home after service (we stay in the north).

I’m currently 21 and my intention is too travel to Lagos after my service for greener pastures and also I had a very good result graduating from uni so I feel my result will most likely get me job opportunities in lag.

But the thing is, most people I talk with say I’m too young to go and stay in lag when I don’t know anybody and Lagos is too expensive for me, my parents inclusive think I shouldn’t be too after service, at e least for now.

But common, I’ll be 22 when I finish service so I think I can survive and I also have 500k (locked up that will help me get a small place and probably start a business when I get there before I stand on my feet.)

But I want to know if this is a good move, I don’t want to make a bad decision abeg.

Shey I fit cope for Lagos or not, I don’t want to be a prodigal son ooooo. (Sure you know what I mean)
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by Dollywood(m): 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2021
Doesn't matter, the same thing my parents told me about not being able to survive in Lagos. You're an adult and you can survive anywhere you think you can, just be smart and have a steady income to help you grind in Lagos for while till you have a solid footing. Goodluck.
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2021
Dollywood:
Doesn't matter, the same thing my parents told me about not being able to survive in Lagos. You're an adult and you can survive anywhere you think you can, just be smart and have a steady income to help you grind in Lagos for while till you have a solid footing. Goodluck.

Thanks. A man’s got to be a man anyway.
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by Foodqueen(f): 6:04pm On Nov 29, 2021
I will advise u Google it o and add "on nairaland" to the search bar. U will read enough personal experience.

After then, u can decide if u still want to come to lag or not.

Best wishes.
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by Peebaby93: 6:23pm On Nov 29, 2021
Same thing I'm going through..my family wants me to come back to stay with them...but I have made up my mind to stand on my own..... even the bible says,a man should leave his father and mother (doesn't partain to only marriage).you go survive...this parents want to be controlling somebody

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 29, 2021
I must commend your effort thus far....
Many person's graduate from school and finish NYSC and can't even boast of 10k, buh you've been able to save up and are considering investing to start up your life...

Kudos bro...

Lemme add that you can do whatever you think is right with your life, I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your parents o, buh if you think you can survive in Lagos and you've made all the research and you have a concrete plan, then I believe you should go...

God's grace go wit you bro...
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 7:01pm On Nov 29, 2021
Favfables1:
I must commend your effort thus far....
Many person's graduate from school and finish NYSC and can't even boast of 10k, buh you've been able to save up and are considering investing to start up your life...

Kudos bro...

Lemme add that you can do whatever you think is right with your life, I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your parents o, buh if you think you can survive in Lagos and you've made all the research and you have a concrete plan, then I believe you should go...

God's grace go wit you bro...

Thanks sir, the amount saved was from my online work. I just started nysc this month so I should save some more to add to what I have when I finish next year September.

Yeah, I have a plan to survive in lagos. I pray God guides me. Thanks again for your advise
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by Ephetar: 7:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
I wanted Ignoring you when I saw the F-word but I'll reply nonetheless.

This is my personal experience; I finished NYSC in 2015. I served in Delta State. Immediately after my NYSC I relocated to Lagos to live with my Aunt with a total savings of about 200-300k then. My Dad was against the idea, my Mum was of the opinion that I'll be bothering her poor sister with my upkeep and all. But then I told my Aunt not to bother about feeding me, I just wanted a place I'll be resting my tired bones after the day's work. Because my family didn't support my movement I didn't bother coming home after NYSC. I traveled straight to Lagos with a resolve to succeed. On getting to Lagos I called up some of my classmates who stay with their parents in Lagos but none of them was forthcoming. Excuses everywhere, naso I enter street. This was my first time in Lagos. I trekked out my shoe alignment in search of jobs and doing all sorts of menial jobs to get my daily feeding money. God's favour found me when one of the places I submitted my CV called me for an interview...The rest is history as I am currently a regional sales manager with one of the top companies in the country.

My advice;
1.Don't rent an apartment in Lagos yet it's pretty expensive. Try to reach out to friends and family friends and relations to get where you can stay for free without becoming a burden to your host.

2. When you come to Lagos be focused...!!! There's too much fun and owambe in Lagos. It can derail your ambitions if you are the too much fun loving type.

3. Lagos is stressful, be mentally ready to succeed at all cost. You might have to start small. I started in a biscuit factory where my daily pay then was 700 naira then.

4. Be humble, you can meet your helper anywhere. I sense a bit of arrogance in your writing and replies.

5. Be street smart...Lagos is LAGOS.

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST...No PMs please...See you at the top...

7 Likes

Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by Richy4(m): 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2021

Is there any one that resides in Lagos like course mates, friends u met while in camp that resides in Lagos?

Just asking because searching for a job is not easy.. Since there are no definite time frame to get the job, no godfather in Lagos, u might exhaust the money u have on hotel accommodation...
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 8:47pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ephetar:
I wanted Ignoring you when I saw the F-word but I'll reply nonetheless.

This is my personal experience; I finished NYSC in 2015. I served in Delta State. Immediately after my NYSC I relocated to Lagos to live with my Aunt with a total savings of about 200-300k then. My Dad was against the idea, my Mum was of the opinion that I'll be bothering her poor sister with my upkeep and all. But then I told my Aunt not to bother about feeding me, I just wanted a place I'll be resting my tired bones after the day's work. Because my family didn't support my movement I didn't bother coming home after NYSC. I traveled straight to Lagos with a resolve to succeed. On getting to Lagos I called up some of my classmates who stay with their parents in Lagos but none of them was forthcoming. Excuses everywhere, naso I enter street. This was my first time in Lagos. I trekked out my shoe alignment in search of jobs and doing all sorts of menial jobs to get my daily feeding money. God's favour found me when one of the places I submitted my CV called me for an interview...The rest is history as I am currently a regional sales manager with one of the top companies in the country.

My advice;
1.Don't rent an apartment in Lagos yet it's pretty expensive. Try to reach out to friends and family friends and relations to get where you can stay for free without becoming a burden to your host.

2. When you come to Lagos be focused...!!! There's too much fun and owambe in Lagos. It can derail your ambitions if you are the too much fun loving type.

3. Lagos is stressful, be mentally ready to succeed at all cost. You might have to start small. I started in a biscuit factory where my daily pay then was 700 naira then.

4. Be humble, you can meet your helper anywhere. I sense a bit of arrogance in your writing and replies.

5. Be street smart...Lagos is LAGOS.

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST...No PMs please...See you at the top...

Thanks for the advice, sorry for using the F word. Also I didn’t know I came off as arrogant in my replies, sorry about that.
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 9:07pm On Nov 29, 2021
@Ephetar

You talk about having a side hustle that gave you 800k monthly. Is it one that requires your presence or you have someone managing it for you?

Also if you don’t mind what line of business is that? I’m not asking what business you do and it’s okay if you don’t want to share.

Thanks
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 9:11pm On Nov 29, 2021
Richy4:

Is there any one that resides in Lagos like course mates, friends u met while in camp that resides in Lagos?

Just asking because searching for a job is not easy.. Since there are no definite time frame to get the job, no godfather in Lagos, u might exhaust the money u have on hotel accommodation...

No currently I don’t know anyone from camp. But I do have coursemates (2) that reside in Lagos.

I don’t intend to pay for hotel accommodation for long. But I can get a one room at least from the money for the mean time while job hunting.
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by anthonyuncle(m): 7:52am On Nov 30, 2021
1. ensure you have somewhere to lay your head before relocating. if you don't have anyone that can help you with accommodation, please please and please, just remain where you are.

2. that 500k looks huge o, but it is not really huge(keep it as spare). don't plan on investing with it right away

3. be ready for anything from anybody and anywhere when you arrive(anyone can disappoint you)

4. keep a cool head and observe more.

5. dedicate your movement to God
Re: Help Me Make A Good Decision! by HilyftDigital: 9:10am On Nov 30, 2021
anthonyuncle:
1. ensure you have somewhere to lay your head before relocating. if you don't have anyone that can help you with accommodation, please please and please, just remain where you are.

2. that 500k looks huge o, but it is not really huge(keep it as spare). don't plan on investing with it right away

3. be ready for anything from anybody and anywhere when you arrive(anyone can disappoint you)

4. keep a cool head and observe more.

5. dedicate your movement to God
Thanks sir, but that number 1 will be hard oooo. I don’t think I can remain where I am. Can’t I at least rent just one room there (face me I face you type of house)? Maybe 100k for a start. I don’t think I can achieve much career wise if I stay where I am currently that’s why.

(1) (Reply)

Where I Fit Sell My Kidney? / It's Marriage Becoming Old Fashion? / Any Doctor In The House? Pls Ur Help Is Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.