Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,677 members, 7,831,103 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? - Business (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? (1125809 Views)

Naira Appreciates Against The Dollar / How Much Did You Exchange The Pound For Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (362) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ITBusinessGuy(m): 8:11am On Feb 27, 2016
tumababa:

Are u saying its no more ₦199?
No Na.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ibnjarir93(m): 8:37am On Feb 27, 2016
toluxa1:

Did you make this transaction on same day? If yes, does that mean the $300 limit didn't apply?

If you want sell your neteller, let me know.
I want to sell Netteler.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by toluxa1(m): 11:14am On Feb 27, 2016
ibnjarir93:
I want to sell Netteler.

Contact me at my signature.
Tnx
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ucman1(m): 11:51am On Feb 27, 2016
Greetis to you bro...

[quote author=stagger post=43271093]

I am not a forex trader. I do business with companies abroad, including an international development orgamization. I get paid in dollars and pounds sterling and my business is subject to exchange rate risks. Therefore when I get paid, I need to know when I should sell my foreign currency for local use here, or if I should hold on to it. Some of my procurement has to be made in foreign currency as well.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ucman1(m): 11:55am On Feb 27, 2016
modath:

Hi, I'm sending you a PM...
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Bevista: 12:21pm On Feb 27, 2016
stagger:

Sheraton Abuja. But the rate was fluctuating so much that in different cities it was at 295, 235, 240, 270, 265, etc. No single uniform rate or rate band and this is all a sign of choppiness. It is only by next week that we will have a steady band across the whole country.

But in my view, the pressure on the Naira will continue and the CBN will be forced to make a decision about the exchange rate very soon. The question is, for how long will the CBN continue to use the foreign reserves to defend the Naira? Switzerland could not do it with their Euro/Swiss Franc peg, Japan's interventions to stop the Yen from strengthening could not do it, and I don't see Nigeria being able to do it when there is virtually only one source of USD for the central bank which has dropped by 65%.

A renewed speculative attack on the Naira will occur and the CBN will be forced to devalue by the time the foreign reserves drop to $18bn. I don't see a way out here unless Nigeria decides to stop the importation of petroleum products which presently accounts for about 70% of Nigeria's foreign exchange usage as a very radical measure.

Frankly put, Bubu is in trouble and he knows it. That is why he is running all over the world looking for money.
@ the text in bold. Curiously, the nature of intervention you referred to is somewhat different from that of the CBN. Those countries wanted to weaken their currencies, so all they needed to do was to print more of their currencies to mop up Euros/Dollars. Even at that, the intervention has largely been unsuccessful.
---
The case of CBN intervention is DOA. They are trying to strengthen the Naira, yet they cant print dollars or have dollar Reserves to intervene.
---
Bottom line: CBN rhetoric cannot move the market on a sustained basis. It can cause some parabolic movements, but sooner or later, the market will return to where it came from. The underlying economic fundamentals (oil price) and structural issues (import-dependency) has not changed. If the Naira strengthens, importers and online buyers will simply resume purchases (demand) pushing the exchange rate up once again.

***Modified***
I have noticed after reading down the line that most of the issues have been discussed. The bashing you received was done in bad taste. Folks need to learn how to get their points across in a decorous manner, without denigrating others.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Bevista: 12:46pm On Feb 27, 2016
grandstar:
History always repeats itself.

In 2009, the price of oil collapsed from $35 per barrel from $148 in 2008.

Because of the massive reduction in dollar inflows from crude oil exports, there was msssive pressure for the naira to depreciate from around 120 where it was at the official market. There was only about 2naira difference from the black market.

Rather than depreciate, the then CBN governor, Charles Soludo started introducing foreign exchange restriction like the type Buhari demanded.

The black market rate started to diverge from the official rate and it fell to 190

Immediately Sanusi took over he devalued the official rate to 150 and almost overnight, the black market rate converged with the official rate.
Correct, but what you wrote does not paint the full picture. You did not take into account that oil price soon rallied above $100 and stayed there for more than 3 years. You also did not take into account that we had sufficient Reserves to continue to meet import demand.
---
I can assure you that if oil price had stayed below $40 for a sustained period and if at that time our Reserves was below $30b, then the rate would have depreciated steadily from N120/$ to above N200/$. Even during GEJ, the CBN had to devalue twice from N150 - N168 - N197 (even with oil price at over $60 & Reserves at over $32b)
---
As it stands, if CBN devalues to - say - N300/$, government revenue will increase fuelling inflation added to the already imported inflation. CBN will be forced to increase interest rate to curb inflation. In the meantime, note that even after devaluation, FX inflow to the Reserves may not increase by much, so the CBN might not re-enlist those de-listed items. As long as these items still chase dollars at the parallel market, the parallel rate might still diverge from the official rate, except the devaluation forces importers to cut down on their import demands.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by stagger: 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2016
Bevista:
@ the text in bold. Curiously, the nature of intervention you referred to is somewhat different from that of the CBN. Those countries wanted to weaken their currencies, so all they needed to do was to print more of their currencies to mop up Euros/Dollars. Even at that, the intervention has largely been unsuccessful.
---
The case of CBN intervention is DOA. They are trying to strengthen the Naira, yet they cant print dollars or have dollar Reserves to intervene.
---
Bottom line: CBN rhetoric cannot move the market on a sustained basis. It can cause some parabolic movements, but sooner or later, the market will return to where it came from. The underlying economic fundamentals (oil price) and structural issues (import-dependency) has not changed. If the Naira strengthens, importers and online buyers will simply resume purchases (demand) pushing the exchange rate up once again.

***Modified***
I have noticed after reading down the line that most of the issues have been discussed. The bashing you received was done in bad taste. Folks need to learn how to get their points across in a decorous manner, without denigrating others.

Well said. We can't all have the same views or approach to issues. But my response is: bash the issue/standpoint and back it up with your reasons. I really did not mind the 1st person's response. It was Jazes's response that baffled me more because he has been around here, and I think has even appeared on Channels TV's Business Morning program (I am not sure and I stand corrected if I have made a mistake). So I expected a lot more than the response he gave.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ENRYDVYNEENT: 3:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
Please who does Exchange in the format of: I Pay Naira into your Nigerian bank account, while you pay me British Pounds.. I can receive my exchange in UK via any format. As I am in UK and have naira in my Nigerian account. Please get back to me with reasonable rates of exchange.
Thanks.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ENRYDVYNEENT: 3:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
ENRYDVYNEENT:
Please who does Exchange in the format of: I Pay Naira into your Nigerian bank account, while you pay me British Pounds.. I can receive my exchange in UK via any format. As I am in UK and have naira in my Nigerian account. Please get back to me with reasonable rates of exchange. Asap
Thanks.

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Arteta99(m): 3:39pm On Feb 27, 2016
ibnjarir93:
I want to sell Netteler.
how many and at what rate?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by agarawu23(m): 3:50pm On Feb 27, 2016
Please, Has anyone tried sending money using Ria money (first bank) or xpress money from Nigeria to other countries?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by kaycodes: 4:54pm On Feb 27, 2016
Carshopper:

How much? I am in ph

Sorry man I didn't see this on time.. Sold to someone else @315 yesterday.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by kaycodes: 4:56pm On Feb 27, 2016
Bookiemart01:
How much you wan sell am, I dey PH

Sorry ma'am already sold @315

I'll get some more this week, hopefully we can deal then.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 27, 2016
I have USD here in US and can use Naira in Nigeria.

Maybe $5k for now.

PS: Please state the rate you are willing to pay (via Nairaland email) and I'll let you know if any interest. I'll be on the ground in couple of weeks so I can change it at home myself, but this is just in case someone needs something urgentish.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by modath(f): 5:41pm On Feb 27, 2016
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by toluxa1(m): 5:55pm On Feb 27, 2016
stagger:

It was Jazes's response that baffled me more because he has been around here, and I think has even appeared on Channels TV's Business Morning program (I am not sure and I stand corrected if I have made a mistake). So I expected a lot more than the response he gave.

Are you sure that is not Jarus? I watched Jarus on Channels
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by toluxa1(m): 5:57pm On Feb 27, 2016
ENRYDVYNEENT:
Please who does Exchange in the format of: I Pay Naira into your Nigerian bank account, while you pay me British Pounds.. I can receive my exchange in UK via any format. As I am in UK and have naira in my Nigerian account. Please get back to me with reasonable rates of exchange.
Thanks.

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by grandstar(m): 6:29pm On Feb 27, 2016
Bevista:
Correct, but what you wrote does not paint the full picture. You did not take into account that oil price soon rallied above $100 and stayed there for more than 3 years. You also did not take into account that we had sufficient Reserves to continue to meet import demand.
---
I can assure you that if oil price had stayed below $40 for a sustained period and if at that time our Reserves was below $30b, then the rate would have depreciated steadily from N120/$ to above N200/$. Even during GEJ, the CBN had to devalue twice from N150 - N168 - N197 (even with oil price at over $60 & Reserves at over $32b)
---
As it stands, if CBN devalues to - say - N300/$, government revenue will increase fuelling inflation added to the already imported inflation. CBN will be forced to increase interest rate to curb inflation. In the meantime, note that even after devaluation, FX inflow to the Reserves may not increase by much, so the CBN might not re-enlist those de-listed items. As long as these items still chase dollars at the parallel market, the parallel rate might still diverge from the official rate, except the devaluation forces importers to cut down on their import demands.

My point was that Sanusi had least respected market forces.

Now, we have a president who has taken over as CBN governor and whose understanding of economics bothers on the pitiful.

I don't think the naira will hit 300. I suspect 250 at worst for it to hit equilibrium.

If other proactive steps are taken such as fully deregulating the prices of petrol and kerosene and perhaps even taxing it(The tax is a bit of a tall order), will be helpful in the short and long run as it will spur both local and foreign investment in the downstream sector.

Also, if company tax should be slashed to 16-18% and withholding tax on dividends abolished, will spur massive portfolio investments into stocks which will boost stockmarket and forex inflows into the country.

The dollarisation of the monthly allocations as advocated by Henry Boyo (which you disagree with) will boost the value of the naira.

Government should also slash the wage bill and heavily cutting down the size of the civil service. They should make it lean and mean

As Sanusi said, the many regulations and laws that stifle business in Nigeria should be done away with also.

All these measures will help cushion the effect of any devaluation and put the economy on the path to rapid growth in little or no time

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Bevista: 6:41pm On Feb 27, 2016
grandstar:
My point was that Sanusi had least respected market forces.

Now, we have a president who has taken over as CBN governor and whose understanding of economics bothers on the pitiful.

I don't think the naira will hit 300. I suspect 250 at worst for it to hit equilibrium.

If other proactive steps are taken such as fully deregulating the prices of petrol and kerosene and perhaps even taxing it(The tax is a bit of a tall order), will be helpful in the short and long run as it will spur both local and foreign investment in the downstream sector.

Also, if company tax should be slashed to 16-18% and withholding tax on dividends abolished, will spur massive portfolio investments into stocks which will boost stockmarket and forex inflows into the country.

The dollarisation of the monthly allocations as advocated by Henry Boyo (which you disagree with) will boost the value of the naira.

Government should also slash the wage bill and heavily cutting down the size of the civil service. They should make it lean and mean

As Sanusi said, the many regulations and laws that stifle business in Nigeria should be done away with also.

All these measures will help cushion the effect of any devaluation and put the economy on the path to rapid growth in little or no time
Slashing CIT by more than half will have two consequences. First it will reduce government revenue in an era of already declining revenue. Secondly, it will make companies have more funds to spend which will not only fuel inflation but also drive up exchange rate since most of those funds might be used for some sort of imports. Macroeconomics is a really delicate balancing act where you need to consider all the variables and moving pieces carefully.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by ENRYDVYNEENT: 6:44pm On Feb 27, 2016
toluxa1:

We can talk here... Who knows... others might be interested in this kind of my venture , thus this might be a good way to sell yourself. Thanks.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by grandstar(m): 6:56pm On Feb 27, 2016
Bevista:
Slashing CIT by more than half will have two consequences. First it will reduce government revenue in an era of already declining revenue. Secondly, it will make companies have more funds to spend which will not only fuel inflation but also drive up exchange rate since most of those funds might be used for some sort of imports. Macroeconomics is a really delicate balancing act where you need to consider all the variables and moving pieces carefully.

Only a microscopic number of companies pay tax, probably less than 5% of companies.

As at 1990, the companies on the stock market accounted for 84% of all company tax paid. These companies account for about 0.1% of all registered companies.

Also, lower taxes actually encourage more companies to pay tax and formalise operations. India found out that anytime it reduced corporate tax, revenue increased

If the FIRS, does a good job by increasing the tax base, revenues should actually increase and not go down.

I doubt it will increase inflation. Over 90% of Nigerians companies don't pay tax so it doesnt matter

What is most important is that it will really spur investment.

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by makzeze: 6:59pm On Feb 27, 2016
i want 1000 USD to buy. who has?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 27, 2016
Who has tried stanbic today?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nsonaso(m): 7:14pm On Feb 27, 2016
GTB is live on air....

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Rooneyboy(m): 7:32pm On Feb 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I have USD here in US and need Naira in Nigeria.

Maybe $5k for now.

Studying my options keenly , we might just be bizz partners.

Hope I can send naira into ur local acc "here in Nigeria" while u send its equivalent to China from the US ?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Carshopper(m): 8:02pm On Feb 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I have USD here in US and need Naira in Nigeria.

Maybe $5k for now.

Let's talk
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by oribi(m): 8:21pm On Feb 27, 2016
please who has an idea what gtbank is charging per dollar want to buy an item online please
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by D1O(m): 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2016
ENRYDVYNEENT:
Thanks.

Whereabouts in the UK are you mate? How much Sterling are you looking for? Who are your UK bankers?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Mftivi: 9:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (362) (Reply)

Football (+/Other Sports) Betting Season 15 / ➜ ➜ ➜Currency/E-currency Market Deals 2020 ➜ ➜ ➜ / EXCLUSIVE : How To Make Level 2 Seller On Fiverr In A Month As A Nigerian Seller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.