Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? - Business (94) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? (1123915 Views)

Naira Appreciates Against The Dollar / How Much Did You Exchange The Pound For Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (362) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Meringe(m): 4:09pm On Feb 11, 2015
lancee:

Thanks , i used naira card on foreign ATM it last week , was 191 naira to dollar

Not tried this week
Using my atm card in Turkey ,what will the atm dispense? Dollar or Turkish currency?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by lancee(m): 4:12pm On Feb 11, 2015
Meringe:

Using my atm card in Turkey ,what will the atm dispense? Dollar or Turkish currency?

Am not sure sir , but i think na turkish currency
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by gmaribel(m): 1:58pm On Feb 12, 2015
And the Naira keeps dropping
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by aboki2000(m): 4:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
gmaribel:
And the Naira keeps dropping
keep dropping
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by adewasco2k(m): 8:01am On Feb 13, 2015
Meringe:

Turkish currency
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by arbitrage: 8:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
Meringe:

It will be Euro or Turkish currency depending on which one their banks use daily except they have certain type of ATM that Travelex put in Heathrow Airport, London that can 'vomit' dollar, pounds or euro depending on your choice selection.

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by sholatech(m): 1:26am On Feb 14, 2015
carpenter:
I can also confirm that I was in 2 different GTbanks and they claimed they didn't have dollars.

Sincerely, it is frustrating since it is money saved with them.

Am not a happy customer but I have decided to keep it cool for now.
unlike your naira account, the bank is not obliged to get you USD cash in your acct anytime you need it. The Cbn rule is 'subject to availability'.

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by carpenter(m): 5:11pm On Feb 14, 2015
sholatech:

unlike your naira account, the bank is not obliged to get you USD cash in your acct anytime you need it. The Cbn rule is 'subject to availability'.

That's interesting...didn't know that.

I guess I will have to take a decision eventually...change to another bank within or outside the country. Although, they were nice about it ...just that i wasn't in the mood as i needed the money badly.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by aboki2000(m): 12:11pm On Feb 15, 2015
carpenter:

That's interesting...didn't know that.

I guess I will have to take a decision eventually...change to another bank within or outside the country. Although, they were nice about it ...just that i wasn't in the mood as i needed the money badly.
Now you know !
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Dandy1(m): 10:30am On Feb 19, 2015
dollar is 198 naira today,19/2/2015
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Meringe(m): 11:07am On Feb 19, 2015
Dandy1:
dollar is 198 naira today,19/2/2015
Bank official rate.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
coderXO:
Anybody been able to get USD from the bank? 2 days straight I've not been able to withdraw with claims "they don't have."

GTB is the bank in question.
No. They have been telling me NO Dollars since December 2014 till date. Bros, i tire for this country o.

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
arbitrage:

Is it for the bank to sell to you or you mean the one you kept in your domiciliary account? Is it acceptable for you to save dollar into your Dom and then the bank gives excuse of unavailability? I thought they must look for by all means since it is your saved money you are withdrawing and not purchasing with naira by CBN form A or trying to get BTA/PTA.
I have not been able to withdraw dollars from my GTB dorm account since December 2014. They keep telling me they don't have dollars; thus forcing me to sell to them for 181/$1 while the black market sales would have fetched me 210/$1. This is pure daylight robbery.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Fhemmmy: 5:43pm On Feb 19, 2015
angelinvestor:
I have not been able to withdraw dollars from my GTB dorm account since December 2014. They keep telling me they don't have dollars; thus forcing me to sell to them for 181/$1 while the black market sales would have fetched me 210/$1. This is pure daylight robbery.

Chairman, i am sure the black market will soon even go up now cos i read today that official CBN rate is now 197N/1$ . . .so sad.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Feb 19, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Chairman, i am sure the black market will soon even go up now cos i read today that official CBN rate is now 197N/1$ . . .so sad.
Boss, i heard the news today but the problem is: How do we benefit from this increment when the bank has refused to release our dollars?? If we change at the official bank rate of $1/197, we will still be shortchanged like N10 because the black market will be trading at nothing less than $1/213 depending on demand and supply. This bank wan spoil business for me o.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by pinbar(m): 7:01pm On Feb 19, 2015
angelinvestor:
Boss, i heard the news today but the problem is: How do we benefit from this increment when the bank has refused to release our dollars?? If we change at the official bank rate of $1/197, we will still be shortchanged like N10 because the black market will be trading at nothing less than $1/213 depending on demand and supply. This bank wan spoil business for me o.

They are trying to discourage people dumping naira for dollar and reduce dollar in circulation i guess
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Fhemmmy: 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2015
angelinvestor:

It is so sad but what do we do, same bank manager will buy from you at 180 and give to mallam to go and sell at 213 and they split the difference . . . . I hope Nigeria will find solution soon.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Meringe(m): 6:55am On Feb 20, 2015
angelinvestor:
I wish we are close, I give you naira, you transfer dollars to my gtb dom account. How much is that?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by geniusbami(m): 5:49pm On Feb 20, 2015
U know my suggestion? If U want to avoid the bank, deposit into your Live Forex Account and don't trade with it. Just before the end of May it is envisaged that a Dollar might exchange for up to ₦280. By the time U want to withdraw U'll have it straight into ur Naira account at the prevailing (higher) rate. I did that when the exchange rate was ₦204/$. Today now a $ is ₦212 at the parallel market.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by IyawoToBe(f): 6:55pm On Feb 20, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmmm *deep sigh*
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by IyawoToBe(f): 6:56pm On Feb 20, 2015
geniusbami:
U know my suggestion? If U want to avoid the bank, deposit into your Live Forex Account and don't trade with it. Just before the end of May it is envisaged that a Dollar might exchange for up to ₦280. By the time U want to withdraw U'll have it straight into ur Naira account at the prevailing (higher) rate. I did that when the exchange rate was ₦204/$. Today now a $ is ₦212 at the parallel market.

And how did you arrive at that forecast?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
geniusbami:

This one strong ooo, chai, Nigeria where are we heading to..... wink
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by geniusbami(m): 7:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
IyawoToBe:

And how did you arrive at that forecast?
If you look at the trend and the fundamentals (political climate in particular), U'll see that all support a continuously weaker Naira. In addition, the CBN had hands off the regulation of the exchange rate. That is just like removing subsidy, so the market forces will now determine the price.

If U need a reliable broker to open your Live Forex Account with, just click the link in my signature and follow the link.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by surveyProf(m): 10:55am On Feb 23, 2015
today 23rd February 2015 mall-am buying @217, mall-am selling @221
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by coderXO(m): 5:26pm On Feb 23, 2015
CBN does not know what they are doing. To make Naira strong, the need to call their reserves and make $$$ readily available within the economy.

They are doing the opposite, they cancelled $$$ auctions instead.

Good help us all.

Disaster looms.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by lanre2009: 10:23pm On Feb 23, 2015
Does anyone here buy euro....what is your offer??
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Belewu: 3:43am On Feb 24, 2015
coderXO:
CBN does not know what they are doing. To make Naira strong, the need to call their reserves and make $$$ readily available within the economy.
They are doing the opposite, they cancelled $$$ auctions instead.
Good help us all.
Disaster looms.

I guess the option of draining our reserves to defend the Nairasounds more sensible to you? Do you know the damage to our credit rating, ability to service our debts and even protect this country if needed?
We do not need $$$ readily available in the economy. Wedo not spend $$ in Nigeria. Whatthe government needs to do is assist our local industries to reduce our reliance on imported products

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by coderXO(m): 7:36am On Feb 24, 2015
Belewu:

I guess the option of draining our reserves to defend the Nairasounds more sensible to you? Do you know the damage to our credit rating, ability to service our debts and even protect this country if needed?
We do not need $$$ readily available in the economy. Wedo not spend $$ in Nigeria. Whatthe government needs to do is assist our local industries to reduce our reliance on imported products

We will assist our local industries when? Tomorrow Wednesday 25th? To start producing all the imported goods we consuming abi?
Just like increasing the auto import tariff to discourage vehicles import. When last did you buy an innoson truck for N5.7m cash?

We are a consumer economy period.
We produce absolutely nothing and have to import.

These $$$ are needed for the imports.

Your Naira that you spend is converted by Nigerian businesses to $$$ to bring goods in.

Your Naira is always eventually dollars, and now they have to use more Naira to buy the same amount of dollars.

It means when the goods land, you will pay more of that Naira in the end to buy the goods.

Naira has lost 20% of its value in the last 3 months and I bet you didn't get a 5% raise at your job since December did you?

Only time will tell. God help us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by david22uu(m): 9:09am On Feb 24, 2015
Belewu:

If to say you be babe i for come kiss you.... I own a Bureau de change and this u just said is d reality... Draining reserves to defend naira is doom for the nation... Local production should be encouraged and raw materials sourced locally..
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by youngalex(m): 1:09pm On Feb 24, 2015
If you want to sell dollars in your dorm. Account is simple,get a bdc operator negotiate with him,transfer your dollar to his dorm account let him deposit the naira equivalent to your current account at the prevailing exchange rate,thos guys in the bank are making big money by trading off your dollars with BDC operators
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Goshiii: 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2015
youngalex:
If you want to sell dollars in your dorm. Account is simple,get a bdc operator negotiate with him,transfer your dollar to his dorm account let him deposit the naira equivalent to your current account at the prevailing exchange rate,thos guys in the bank are making big money by trading off your dollars with BDC operators

Please what is a BDC operator?

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (362) (Reply)

Football (+/Other Sports) Betting Season 15 / ➜ ➜ ➜Currency/E-currency Market Deals 2020 ➜ ➜ ➜ / EXCLUSIVE : How To Make Level 2 Seller On Fiverr In A Month As A Nigerian Seller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.