Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper (374 Views)

Evra claims Edouard Mendy Was Snubbed For The Yashin Trophy Because he's African / Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy To Remain In Prison Until Next Year / Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy To Spend Two Weeks In Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by DaveHarry(m): 7:10am On Nov 30, 2021
The Paris Saint-Germain stopper finished first in the vote after a stellar year for club and country

Gianluigi Donnarumma has beaten Edouard Mendy to the 2021 Lev Yashin award for best goalkeeper in European football.

Donnarumma has enjoyed a rapid rise to prominence in recent years, having initially made his debut for Milan as a 16-year-old back in 2015.

The Italy international left San Siro before joining Paris Saint-Germain in the summer, but only after helping the Rossoneri get back into the Champions League and playing a key role in his country's run to Euro 2020 glory.

Donnarumma's record last term

Donnarumma has become only the second man to win the Yashin Trophy after Liverpool's Alisson, with the Brazilian having scooped the inaugural prize in 2019 before the ceremony was cancelled the following year.

The 22-year-old, who also made the final shortlist for the Ballon d'Or, earned the majority vote after recording 14 clean sheets in 45 outings across all competitions for Milan as they finished second in Serie A last term and reached the latter stages of the Europa League.

His exploits with Italy held the most weight, though, as he played in all seven of their matches at the European Championships including the final - during which he saved two penalties as Roberto Mancini's side beat England in a dramatic shootout.

Mendy misses out

Chelsea No.1 Mendy narrowly lost out to Donnarummma in the final vote, despite an outstanding debut season in English football.

The Senegalese stopper kept 16 clean sheets in his 31 Premier League outings for the Blues and another nine in the Champions League as Thomas Tuchel's men won the trophy back in May.

The Premier League was also represented in the top ten by Manchester City net-minder Ederson, Leicester's Kasper Schmeichel and Aston Villa star Emiliano Martinez, with Bayern Munich keeper Manuel Neuer, Real Madrid's Thibaut Courtois, PSG's Keylor Navas, Atletico Madrid's Jan Oblak and Inter stopper Samir Handanovic completing the list.

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by paulolee(m): 7:16am On Nov 30, 2021
he won it because of his nice form dt made italy win euros but i think Mendy deserves It for dt ucl win..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by ItsGoodToBeGood: 7:25am On Nov 30, 2021
Oh my darling Edouard Ifeanyichukwu Mendy. We all know the Real Winner shaa,,, Your official time dey come

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 30, 2021
itsgoodtobegood paulolee dis Year's ballon do'r is will forever b critized cuz of d change in d system formally d award was given based on votes from selected technocrats but now it is done by captains, national team coaches and selected journalist which makes most of d decisions unfair cuz it is mostly europeans , Americas and rarely u will c an African dear, if not for DAT Mendy is way way more beta Dan donnarumma, getting d highest clean sheet in UCL, conceding only 4 goals in 17 UCL games and winning all d competitions he played in except from d FA cup and EPL winning every award he has been nominated for except from d ballon do'r, but bcuz Donnarumma won euros he is voted d best, THAT WAS A CLEAR ROBBERY AND MIND YOU AM A MANCHESTER UNITED FAN

1 Like

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by DaveHarry(m): 9:51am On Nov 30, 2021
ItsGoodToBeGood:
Oh my darling Edouard Ifeanyichukwu Mendy. We all know the Real Winner shaa,,, Your official time dey come

I like the bolded words.

1 Like

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by DaveHarry(m): 9:54am On Nov 30, 2021
Enoch3721:
itsgoodtobegood paulolee dis Year's ballon do'r is will forever b critized cuz of d change in d system formally d award was given based on votes from selected technocrats but now it is done by captains, national team coaches and selected journalist which makes most of d decisions unfair cuz it is mostly europeans , Americas and rarely u will c an African dear, if not for DAT Mendy is way way more beta Dan donnarumma, getting d highest clean sheet in UCL, conceding only 4 goals in 17 UCL games and winning all d competitions he played in except from d FA cup and EPL winning every award he has been nominated for except from d ballon do'r, but bcuz Donnarumma won euros he is voted d best, THAT WAS A CLEAR ROBBERY AND MIND YOU AM A MANCHESTER UNITED FAN

But Donnarumma's performances at the Euros and with AC Milan was mind-blowing. So either of the two deserves it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by paulolee(m): 10:03am On Nov 30, 2021
Enoch3721:
lolz...no be today dm don de criticize n question leo ballon d or win so let d criticism continue..
Leo won dt award bcoz of his copa win, him n lewa had almost same club performance last season BT lewa did nothing in euros..
as for Mendy, I think he deserves It BT dey said dona won it bcox its a season of international competition n not jus club performance....who am I to question wat dey decide?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 30, 2021
DaveHarry:

But Donnarumma's performances at the Euros and with AC Milan was mind-blowing. So either of the two deserves it.
I just take dis as racism if, Mendy was white and dona was black just think of it who did u think will b given
Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 30, 2021
paulolee:

lolz...no be today dm don de criticize n question leo ballon d or win so let d criticism continue..
Leo won dt award bcoz of his copa win, him n lewa had almost same club performance last season BT lewa did nothing in euros..
as for Mendy, I think he deserves It BT dey said dona won it bcox its a season of international competition n not jus club performance....who am I to question wat dey decide?
I did not criticise d ballon do'r winner all am saying is DAT I feel there is sentiments among d organizers if not they should have recognised lewa specially since dem no wan give am cuz I c no reason y last year own was cancelled it could have been done virtually or maybe just address him in public,,,,,,,, I get d fact DAT when they is a major, national or major national tournament it plays a big role in d decision making process but lewa also did try scoring in his nation three consecutive games b4 their exit from a tough group but title was d difference BTW him and Leo and DAT was decisive but he was robbed for DAT of last year, as for Mendy cuz his continent competition comes up a year after other continents means he is unlucky they for wait till next year
Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by DaveHarry(m): 11:40am On Nov 30, 2021
Enoch3721:
I just take dis as racism if, Mendy was white and dona was black just think of it who did u think will b given

Bro I understand where you're coming from, but just know it is the year of the European championship, and the best player in that tournament is very highly appreciated.

If jorginho had been champions Italy's standout performer at the Euro 2020 combined with winning the UCL, he would have won the ballon d'or last night and not come up 3rd!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by allen113: 11:59am On Nov 30, 2021
Balon d' or them suppose give jorginho them give messi, yashin abi na nyash award them suppose give mendy them give donnarumma, no lele we dey observe. If people like modic and cannavaro can we world best and balon d' or I wonder why jorginho who won uefa best can't win it
Re: Donnarumma Beats Mendy To 2021 Yashin Award For Best Goalkeeper by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 30, 2021
DaveHarry:

Bro I understand where you're coming from, but just know it is the year of the European championship, and the best player in that tournament is very highly appreciated.

If jorginho had been champions Italy's standout performer at the Euro 2020 combined with winning the UCL, he would have won the ballon d'or last night and not come up 3rd!
nope, he will not b given mess I would cuz of messi's goal involvement, MOTM awards, assists and goals e.t.c but they should have wait until next year when the afcon comes around if they have regard for it but I no when a major, national or major national tournament comes around it is highly important in d decision making

(1) (Reply)

Here Is The Full Stats Of Messi, Lewandowski & Benzema For 2021 Ballondor / Give Me Your All Time Top 3 African Player From These 12 Players / Ghana Vs Nigeria Post Match Analysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.