Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,953 members, 7,952,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:00 AM

Why Self-righteousness Is Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Self-righteousness Is Wrong? (150 Views)

Self-righteousness: Is It Scriptural? Isaiah 64:6. / Self-righteousness Is A Man-made Idea. It Doesn't Exist In God's Sight! / Way To Salvation: Through Religion Or Self Righteousness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Self-righteousness Is Wrong? by topshore(f): 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2021
Scripture Text: Job 15:14-16; Romans 3:10

Self-righteousness is the idea that we generate, that we in ourselves are righteous and acceptable to God (Romans 3:10).

Jesus and the Apostle Paul came down particularly hard on those who attempted to live in self-righteousness. Jesus’ condemnation of self-righteousness was especially harsh in His treatment of the Pharisees and Scribes of the Jewish nation. He condemned them for rigidly adhering to their lawful traditions in order to make themselves look better to others. The parable of the Pharisee and the Tax collector was specifically told by Jesus to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt (Luke 18:9–14). Jesus had repeated clashes with the Pharisees and scribes about true righteousness. In the same vein, He spent a great deal of time and energy warning His disciples about the dangers of self-righteousness, making it clear that, without Him, they could do nothing (John 15:5).

Also, Paul spoke about self-righteousness by condemning the Jews’ self-righteous trust in circumcision (Romans 2:17–24). He said that the Jews tried to gain acceptance with God based on their own righteousness, demonstrating ignorance of the true righteousness of God (Romans 10:3). His conclusion is that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness, not man.

Paul’s letter to the Galatian church also addressed this issue. These believers were being told that they had to do certain things to be acceptable to God, specifically, to be circumcised. But Paul advocated against this belief, regarding it as “accursed” (Galatians 1:8–9). He told them that, if righteousness could come from their own actions, then Jesus died “for no purpose” (Galatians 2:21). Paul’s conclusion about the Galatian believers was that they had been foolish in their attempt to be perfected by the flesh (Galatians 3:1–3).

Why Self-Righteousness is Wrong?
1. Because we are not righteous on our own (Isaiah 64:6)
2. Only God is good (Job 9:2; Mathew 19:17)
3. It leads to pride (Proverbs 30:12-13; Luke 18:11)
4. It separates man from God (Romans 10:3)
5. It makes us unable to see our sins (Proverbs 13:12; Luke 6:41-42)
6. It prevents true righteousness and trust in God (Galatians 3:6)
7. A proud attitude displeases and angers God (Isaiah 65:5; Luke 16:5)
8. It makes us despise and be unmerciful to others (Mathew 23:29; Luke 18:9,11)
9. It takes God’s grace for granted (Galatians 2:21)
10. It is a dishounourable act towards Christ’s death for us.

Many believers today are plagued by this attitude, and it is a sinful nature trying to do something to merit our salvation without God in the picture. It is difficult for our prideful hearts to appreciate the costly freedom of grace, bought for us by the blood of Jesus with no contribution from us. It is so easy to compare ourselves with one another than it is to recognize that we cannot measure up to the standards of the Holy God.

However, in Christ we can know true righteousness and forgiveness of sin that comes to us through grace. The fact that He stood in our place made us benefit from both His sinless life and His sin-bearing death (2 Corinthians 5:21), and because of His sacrifice, we can face our sin and bring it to the Cross rather than trying so hard to be good before God. Let go of your self-righteousness and let God through our Lord Jesus Christ into your hearts.

If you would like to give your life to Christ, say this short prayer:
“Lord Jesus, I come before You now, come into my heart, take control of my life and change my world, in Your name I pray, amen”.

Congratulations!!!

God bless you.

Peace!

"gotquestions.org"

1 Like

Re: Why Self-righteousness Is Wrong? by AntiChristian: 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2021
I don't believe in this blood o! How can God shed the blood of His son?

I don't even know what God needs a son for!

1 Like

Re: Why Self-righteousness Is Wrong? by Opeyemiextra(f): 6:12pm On Nov 30, 2021
We all almost have a bit of self-righteousness in us. Nice read

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Forever Forgiving / How To Discover Your Vision (2) / Happy Christmas And Happy New Year Quotes, Wishes, And Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.