Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,543 members, 7,812,697 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria (2019 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by ade95: 1:13am On Dec 02, 2021
Hi guys , a friend planning to get an Acura that requires premium fuel -91 octane level .. nothing less than 87 … does anyone know the average octane level of Nigerian fuels

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by phenase(m): 2:02am On Dec 02, 2021
Let's ask Mr go slow tongue
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by YeyeGbami: 2:45am On Dec 02, 2021
If you ask me na who I go ask
The matter wey we see so e tay wey e start
No be me go talk am e heavy for mouth

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by skywalker240(m): 10:34am On Dec 03, 2021
Am always here to learn from the great gurus smiley
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 9:25pm On Dec 04, 2021
ade95:
Hi guys , a friend planning to get an Acura that requires premium fuel -91 octane level .. nothing less than 87 … does anyone know the average octane level of Nigerian fuels
NO

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 3:48am On Dec 05, 2021
erico2k2:

NO

X2 on that response.

The fuel they sell in Nigeria is illegal in the US where the car comes from.

When manufacturers make the cars, they never imagined it will use such low quality fuel used in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by nurey(m): 9:22am On Dec 05, 2021
ade95:

The Octane level in naija is very low, what people who buy cars that require premium fuel do is to buy octane booster for every full tank, it helps to increase the octane level.
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by ade95: 12:02pm On Dec 05, 2021
nurey:

The Octane level in naija is very low, what people who buy cars that require premium fuel do is to buy octane booster for every full tank, it helps to increase the octane level.

Thanks ! I think it’s safe to stay with cars that use regular fuel then. Before you know it one may fall victim for fake octane boosters …
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by ade95: 12:02pm On Dec 05, 2021
Nurey,

Can you recommend any sound (very good ) Honda mechanic in lagos please
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 9icetoo(m): 12:57pm On Dec 05, 2021
sultaan:

X2 on that response.

The fuel they sell in Nigeria is illegal in the US where the car comes from.

When manufacturers make the cars, they never imagined it will use such low quality fuel used in Nigeria.
Regular PMS is illegal in the mighty US of A?
Seriously?
Okay ooo.

OP, like Nurey said, top up your tank with octane boosters.

The ECU in your car will realise in a little while that your are using regular fuel and will adjust the cars performance to accommodate the regular fuel. Just keep your rpms below 4000 and you will be alright.

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by nurey(m): 5:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
ade95:
Nurey,

Can you recommend any sound (very good ) Honda mechanic in lagos please

I utilize kazeem but I ensure to tell him what to fix when my vehicle is faulty

You can go to Oyingbo in Ebutemeta it's the honda place of anything honda/Acura

You can contact gazzuzz and get appointments or drop what you are experiencing maybe we can help you diagnose here
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 8:38pm On Dec 05, 2021
9icetoo:

Seriously?
Okay ooo.

The ECU in your car will realise in a little while that your are using regular fuel and will adjust the cars performance to accommodate the regular fuel. Just keep your rpms below 4000 and you will be alright.
I will reduce ur car to display a low performance, thats what my RRS is doing at the moment
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 9:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
9icetoo:

Seriously?
Okay ooo.

From my experience with the fuel in Nigeria whenever I go there, it always has a stench that will make it fail to meet emission regulations.

The CEL light is on in most Nigerian cars for a reason.
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 9:27pm On Dec 05, 2021

Forget octane boosters, your car will run lean or rich which ever way...

9icetoo:

Seriously?
Okay ooo.

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 9:28pm On Dec 05, 2021
ade95:

Most Acura's in nigeria have the CEL light on for a reason......

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 735i(m): 8:21am On Dec 06, 2021
LeJeun3:

Forget octane boosters, your car will run lean or rich which ever way...

Started using Octane boosters 2 months ago. Before then, my CEL was permanently on.
Scan showed something about fuel trims.
One Saturday morning, I used liqui moly octane booster on a full tank, and redlined from ajao estate to VI. Switched the car off, went for breakfast.
After breakfast, got into the car and switched it on, the CEL was gone.
Till date, it hasn't returned. And I use octane boosters each time I fill up now.
Car; 2014 5 series BMW

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 9icetoo(m): 11:02am On Dec 06, 2021
erico2k2:

I will reduce ur car to display a low performance, thats what my RRS is doing at the moment
I agree with that.
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 9icetoo(m): 11:05am On Dec 06, 2021
sultaan:

From my experience with the fuel in Nigeria whenever I go there, it always has a stench that will make it fail to meet emission regulations.

The CEL light is on in most Nigerian cars for a reason.

My car requires premium fuel. I use the RON 87 Nigerian fuel. My CEL is not on. So many cars in Nigeria don't require premium fuel. Most recommend premium fuel but will run just fine on regular fuel.
CELs are not on largely because of our fuel. There are other reasons.

The stench could be from dirty tanks. PMS smells.
Regular RON 87 fuel is still in use in the mighty USA.
Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 9icetoo(m): 11:07am On Dec 06, 2021
735i:

Started using Octane boosters 2 months ago. Before then, my CEL was permanently on.
One Saturday morning, I used liqui moly octane booster on a full tank, and redlined from ajao estate to VI. Switched the car off, went for breakfast.
Till date, it hasn't returned. And I use octane boosters each time I fill up now.
Car; 2014 5 series BMW
Cool. Your car surely requires premium fuel.
Mine used to ping under load or any time I go over 3500 rpm. I documented it here on Nairaland but other than that, nothing. It didn't trigger my CEL. Now though, the ECU must have adjusted my fuel or ignition timing cos I don't have pings anymore.

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 9icetoo(m): 11:08am On Dec 06, 2021
LeJeun3:

Most Acura's in nigeria have the CEL light on for a reason......

This will apply to most cars too but it's likely not the fuel.

Even corollas that can run on shayo piss have their cels on. The lot of them.

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 12:35pm On Dec 07, 2021
735i:

Car; 2014 5 series BMW

Truth be told, the redlining did more work than the octane boosters.... tongue

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 12:36pm On Dec 07, 2021
9icetoo:

Cool. Your car surely requires premium fuel.
Mine used to ping under load or any time I go over 3500 rpm. I documented it here on Nairaland but other than that, nothing. It didn't trigger my CEL. Now though, the ECU must have adjusted my fuel or ignition timing cos I don't have pings anymore.

Truth

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by 735i(m): 1:57pm On Dec 07, 2021
LeJeun3:

Truth be told, the redlining did more work than the octane boosters.... tongue

Ah.. for real? I'll be driving like a hooligan going forward. If anything happens to me, you guys should hold Lejeun3. He's advised me to kee myself with speed!

1 Like

Re: Are They Premium Fuels In Nigeria by LeJeun3: 1:17am On Dec 08, 2021
735i:

Ah.. for real? I'll be driving like a hooligan going forward. If anything happens to me, you guys should hold Lejeun3. He's advised me to kee myself with speed!

grin grin grin You go dey alright, we gather they

(1) (Reply)

Most Reliable Cars. We Once Had A Lil Squabble Over This. Please Enjoy. / Timing Belt Replacement For Cars. / Public Service Announcement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.