Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? (15459 Views)

I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed / Can I Resign In The Bank And Concentrate With The POS Business / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Chimeluv(f): 1:30pm On Dec 03, 2021
There is a whole lot of difference between earning money everyday and getting paid at the end of the month, if you are determined to continue riding your bike then check your savings and see if you can get a place of your own and if you can't then you should rent out your bike and continue teaching till you are ready to resign.....
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Oleka1: 1:31pm On Dec 03, 2021
Witnesstony28:
I am faced with the choices of staying at my present place of work or doing my bike business full-time.

If you remember I narrated how my place of work is under paying me (30k/month) and I was able to save 10k on monthly basis from it and I got a loan from my girl's mum and added to get a bike to ride after work (a secondary School).

I stay in the School compound without paying rent and others utility bills.

So on the 1st of this month the owner called and told me that because of the School reputation, they wouldn't want their teacher doing bike work and that it's either I resign from the School or drop the bike (alternatively I should find someone's going to do the bike business for me and bring me returns).

At The initial point I wanted giving it to someone, but on a second thought, I decided to do it by myself cos one person I asked to do it was telling me he will pay 1k/day meanwhile when I go out after work, I normally make like 2k - 3k from 3pm to 6pm and the guy is telling me he will remit 1k for working from 7am to 6pm.

Now I need advice on this. Cos I have been thinking of quiting and focusing on the bike work for the moment. I make way pass 6k on a good day but at that school we are paid 1k/ day.

My only challenge now is getting accommodation to pack out and focus on my stuff. I have also thought about entering into transport business since I started this bike work and I also intend going into delivery business too.

Pls what do I do?

Lalastica pls can you help me post to FP so I could get more opinions.

Thanks .
Get a low cost place to stay outside the school, continue teaching 8 - 2 at least your monthly salary is sure, then do your bike work after school yourself . When you see you have raised enough money maybe to get a second bike, you can resign from the teaching job and focus squarely on you bike business
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by femi4: 1:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
Witnesstony28:
I am faced with the choices of staying at my present place of work or doing my bike business full-time.

If you remember I narrated how my place of work is under paying me (30k/month) and I was able to save 10k on monthly basis from it and I got a loan from my girl's mum and added to get a bike to ride after work (a secondary School).

So on the 1st of this month the owner called and told me that because of the School reputation, they wouldn't want their teacher doing bike work and that it's either I resign from the School or drop the bike (alternatively I should find someone's going to do the bike business for me and bring me returns).

At The initial point I wanted giving it to someone, but on a second thought, I decided to do it by myself cos one person I asked to do it was telling me he will pay 1k/day meanwhile when I go out after work, I normally make like 2k - 3k from 3pm to 6pm and the guy is telling me he will remit 1k for working from 7am to 6pm.

Now I need advice on this. Cos I have been thinking of quiting and focusing on the bike work for the moment. I make way pass 6k on a good day but at that school we are paid 1k/ day.

My only challenge now is getting accommodation to pack out and focus on my stuff. I have also thought about entering into transport business since I started this bike work and I also intend going into delivery business too.

Pls what do I do?

Thanks .
Quit the school, you can always get better offer elsewhere if you are do passionate about teaching. That bike can sustain you and get you more bikes
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Ofunaofu: 1:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
bigpicture001:
If u do the bike work full time.. u will also lose ur girl and her mum support.. ladies love selense lifestyle, even if it pays u less... But ur a man and gats a life to build..

If u don't take in challenges head on.. what happened to me will happen to u..?

What happened to you, can you please share
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by SolarEdge: 1:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
Hmmmm!
If you are not teaching at British international School lekki, please resign
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by mployer(m): 1:35pm On Dec 03, 2021
Teaching is a career path. Biking is not.

If you are in Lagos, get good experience, you will get schools that will pay you 150k+.

I am talking from experience
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by mployer(m): 1:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
SolarEdge:
Hmmmm!
If you are not teaching at British international School lekki, please resign

A lot of schools pay well in Lagos.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by orikoku: 2:02pm On Dec 03, 2021
bosschinalu:
I understand what you are facing at the moment. Please do you have any savings that can get you a small apartment? The bike business is lucrative but very hazardous. I'd prefer you keep the school job, have someone pay you 2k daily and the person handles maintenance of the bike.
trust me bros with this your submission, the bike won't last 6 months. Those guys ain't smiling, they will use the bike to do like 15k work in a day and remit 2k to the owner. Best thing is to give it out on higher purchase.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by deltateam: 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2021
Witnesstony28:

Pls what do I do?

Thanks .

School reputation? Is bike riding a crime?

What school reputation that can't add to your salary?

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by wolebest: 2:18pm On Dec 03, 2021
Go and negotiate with your employers, its a matter of leverage. Bargain with them to let you continue your private hustle as long as it does not clash with your teaching job. Who says you can not have the best of the two worlds.

You don't need to fight anybody or be annoyed with anybody but focus on the future. Take time to build your financial capacity, so that you can get a place of your own where nobody will stress you. You already have the pedigree for success (you understand the bike business), so don't let anybody scuttle you plans and future.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by jericco1(m): 2:18pm On Dec 03, 2021
I still don't believe people still rely on a 30k job.

Guy better move on. Try the bike work and also try to do digital work.. the real money is online
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by ddemillie(m): 2:21pm On Dec 03, 2021
A school that pay 1k a day don't have any reputation to protect. Them they use free house keep you for one place for eternity. Some people like to keep people in perpetual bondage. They have seen that with the bike work money added to your salary you can evolve and one day be independent.
Try to organize extra moral lesson and combine it with the bike work and before you say jack one day you will own your own school.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Rubbiish(m): 2:28pm On Dec 03, 2021
dominique:
Look for someone else to give the bike to and the person must remit no less than 3k daily.
If you can be making more than 3k for a few hours work, one crook now wants to be remitting only 1k after a full day's work. He must be ment. Before releasing the bike, make sure an undertaken at the police station with a guarantor you can easily trace. Too many criminals out there and they're the ones quick to shout no jobs.

After you've comfortably saved enough money, you can now decide if you want to quit or continue running both. I would personally advise you remain on the job. Economy is not smiling right now, it's very risky to rely on one means of income.
There is no need giving his bike to someone else to ride, it doesn't work! After passing it around, he will end up selling the bike for a worthless price. By then they must have damaged it. If he can't ride it himself, he should forget about the idea.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Obason22(m): 2:31pm On Dec 03, 2021
The truth is that bike work is more profitable, but in other hand u also consider the risky involve. If ur bike is sound and steady I advise u quit that fucking job. Don't be in a hurry always drive with care b4 one year the story will change.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by wiseone28: 2:33pm On Dec 03, 2021
Known up to 10 people that died from okada business
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Jhamzy(m): 2:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
It is always honorable tender a resignation. You would own your own company someday, so start sowing the good seed today for your future employees tomorrow.
christejames:
Follow Evaloyal2j advice, this private schools just want to milk you of every knowledge in you before pushing you away without gratuity or thank you parting gifts.

I will say, delve into it fully for the main time with a set target to have a tricycle, once you into that you can now look into the bigger picture of owning a bus or car in the nearest future. It's obvious you will make it in the transport field...

You can always get back to the 'white collars' in future and by this time you will come back better because you should have developed yourself better and honed your skills for the best with lots of experiences.

I as a person is fed up with working for someone, this is my last month with my present company, it's fun here and cool and all that but once I travel for Christmas no coming back, won't even write a resignation letter. I know they will surely miss me and be shocked but man got to be on his own.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by christejames(m): 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2021
Jhamzy:
It is always honorable tender a resignation. You would own your own company someday, so start sowing the good seed today for your future employees tomorrow.

OK
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by 360command: 2:43pm On Dec 03, 2021
Witnesstony28:

Pls what do I do?

Thanks .
You are a hustler and I see potential. School is not for you but you can create an entrepreneurial business if you keep to your hustle ,save and then start up a business of your choice.

If you go through the bike biz, and you are able to save 3500 naira multiply by 25days(In a month). You should have 87 500.. do this for 6month or as long as you want and find another business
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by ogwuche4u(m): 2:45pm On Dec 03, 2021
Dollywood:
Don't make a mistake of quitting your teaching job, because you still get free accommodation from them. If you quit you can't afford to find a new apartment and hope to reply on bike riding, do you even consider the stress? Find someone to jack you bike and give you returns even if it is 2k daily. And hope they don't mismanage your bike, that's where you gats need to strict on anyone riding your bike. if you notice any small crack on it, give am stern warning that's going to send shivers to his spine.

Wrong advice you are giving this young man. Do you know that Time is more expensive. How can one work from 7am to 2pm for just 30k? That's insane. Do you know he can make roughly 90k working just 22 days in a month from what he said? Now if he is serious into self development, he can judiciously use his weekends to learn an online skill. Free things dey choke and he will keep living at the mercy of the school if he chose to remain in the job. If he works in a month, he can get a single room and start his life proper. Quit that low paying job and be your own boss. Except he doesn't have vision, he won't progress in the business but from what he said, it is obvious he has vision of expansion into a logistics company. Don't build someone business at the expense of your own life. Start small, think big and work towards it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by unclejb2(m): 2:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
What kind of useless school will talk about reputation when they are paying their staff 30k.

You should quit that job asap and focus on the bike.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by bergs2: 2:55pm On Dec 03, 2021
autolearner:
The real question are as follows:

1. What exactly do you want to do? Do you see a path in your being a teacher? Is your Salary stable?

2. What is the cost of rent around the area where you operate the bike?

3. If you don't see your yourself being a teacher in the long term, can you stay disciplined to raise the funds you need to pursue your dream?

4. If conservatively, you make circa 4k daily from riding bike - If you do this for 22 days in a month - this is me saying your weekends are to yourself, family and to develop skills for the future, you'd do 88k. Can you sustain yourself on half of this every month? Because it makes no sense to earn 30k from it, when you can do double.
Guy are you from Nnewi?
You get business acumen like them.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Danniedpastor(m): 2:57pm On Dec 03, 2021
adisabarber:
Continue your teaching work and ride your bike in the evening and weekends
I

Bro, read the post again.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Danniedpastor(m): 2:59pm On Dec 03, 2021
adisabarber:
Continue your teaching work and ride your bike in the evening and weekends
I

Bro, read the post again.
He was asked to choose between doing bike business or his job.
The school management feel embarrassed to have a teacher who is a bike man
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by yinkbell: 3:04pm On Dec 03, 2021
josielewa:
As a guy man, i will tell you to leave that teaching job. Look for a friend that can accommodate you for like 3-4 months. Teaching job of 30k is slavery bro. Quit it because you won't grow. Enter the street 100%. Save a bit and get a room apartment ( face me i slap you). After a while, try repaying your girls mum for the bike( e get why and don't ask me)..Hustle like say you no go skool. The times are getting harder, so be wise. My first job after Nysc in 2015 was a teaching i got in 2017, guess what, i was being paid 14k for about 5 subjects. To cut the long story short, i quited the job at the most inconvenient time of my life. I was. damn broke. I summoned up courage to go learn printing and design. I wasnt good with design, but i made sure i learnt the printing business to a 100%, i can even operate some machines like ctcp and large format...i learnt for 3 years without pay..three years no money, no new clothes, once in a. while i get okrika(wetin concern me). I learnt it with zeal and by beginning of next year, am starting my own fully owned large format..

I had no gf and i made sure i never lose focus...At this stage of your life, i expect you to leave that school immediately and set a. plan of 2 years from your bike business...Shun family financial demands and grow thyself...just 2 years of dedication and pls don't bring a woman yet into your life( wife)..

Mr eze came from IMO state without nothing, his brother helped him to get keke napep based on returns..Mr eze worked like a ( jackey). A year after, Mr eze paid in full and took ownership, 3 months later, he took another one on higher purchase, gave the old one to another for daily returns plying same route...Now Mr eze has a wife..Mr eze story inspired me away from starting yahoo...be wise ...take your 6k daily job serious and save...shalom...

How were you able to feed yourself for three years without pay?. How far is the place where you are learning this to your house and how do you sort out the transportation issues? How do you source for Money to start yours by next year? If you have provided these answers in your post, it will be more inspiring. From all indications, it is obvious there was help coming from a particular place which you have failed to mention. Many people are inspired by this your post, but do well to answer all my questions above. Possibly you may edit your post by adding the answers you have provided to your post, this may motivate someone. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by DavidHarry(m): 3:08pm On Dec 03, 2021
You've already made up ur mind. Stop looking for validation.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by geechy: 3:16pm On Dec 03, 2021
christejames:
Follow Evaloyal2j advice, this private schools just want to milk you of every knowledge in you before pushing you away without gratuity or thank you parting gifts.

I will say, delve into it fully for the main time with a set target to have a tricycle, once you into that you can now look into the bigger picture of owning a bus or car in the nearest future. It's obvious you will make it in the transport field...

You can always get back to the 'white collars' in future and by this time you will come back better because you should have developed yourself better and honed your skills for the best with lots of experiences.

I as a person is fed up with working for someone, this is my last month with my present company, it's fun here and cool and all that but once I travel for Christmas no coming back, won't even write a resignation letter. I know they will surely miss me and be shocked but man got to be on his own.

Ahbobi!

You took the words right outta my mouth.

You dey stay lag?

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Tunar18(m): 3:29pm On Dec 03, 2021
Please, resign that job and don't mind anyone that says you should give your bike to a rider that would bring proceeds.

From your explanation you have ridden it before and you didn't die. Just give yourself a reasonable target within a year. I believe you can save over 500k in that one year and you would still live a comfortable life. After your one year, you can start something meaningful or even raise your target.

I've seen graduates building a house from riding bike and the way he even dress, you would want to relate well with him despite being a rider.

No one can manage the bike for you except you want to look back and regret. Just face it yourself, since it's something you have done on part time before. Trust me you will be fine
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by PrinceGallant: 3:50pm On Dec 03, 2021
The ball is in your court, you know what suits you better. What advice do you need? You are the one who wears the shoe, you know where it hurts. If I advise you to follow the school management's wish, and your finance revenue falls, who bear the result?

Let me tell you, money first before anything. When you make money, you can then be corporate. What is essence of looking corporate externally and being poor internally.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by Mom007(f): 4:04pm On Dec 03, 2021
You are not even riding during rush hour yet making 3k per day not imagine if you start hustling early in the morning and do a full days job... Bro, pls resign that bad belle job. What's their business what you do with your spare time as long as it doesn't affect their work and its honest? Just tell them to allow you finish the term so that your students will not suffer then pls let them go with their bad belle. Continue to Hustle hard and get an accommodation and then, open a savings account like a kolo account and be putting like 5k daily there from your working from morning to night with your bike. At the end of a year, you should have enough to either get a bus or whatever else strikes your fancy. Pls never give your bike to anyone else. Those guys are very wicked. You will now see that the person you give will use it to work only in the rush hour and then give it to someone else to use for the rest of the day and by the time they totally condemn the bike, they will park it for you. Be wise son.
Re: Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? by biggie73(m): 4:13pm On Dec 03, 2021
Quit. Ride the bike yourself. You can always get another job in the future. Be safe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Microsoft Hires Sam Altman And Greg Brockman / The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com / Paystack Sacks 33 Employees In Dubai & Europe - CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.