Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres (8612 Views)

Reps Seek Decongestion Of Nigeria’s 244 Correctional Centres / Child Theft: Buhari Commends Police For Discovering False Correctional Centres / Ekiti State High Court Complex With Two Elevators And 10 Furnished Court Rooms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by Bosolanda: 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2021
IPIGSRHYPO:
Great development. Kudos
This na nonsense aswear
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by princefunmmy(m): 2:27pm On Dec 06, 2021
chantra100:
shocked wow to this is fine

*For N40,000 N10k monthly you can become a Software Developer in 100 days. Join our intensive online or physical class and change your life for ever. Software Developers are in high demands in
tell me about this
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by 7pointsapp: 2:30pm On Dec 06, 2021
chantra100:
shocked wow to this is fine

*For N40,000 N10k monthly you can become a Software Developer in 100 days. Join our intensive online or physical class and change your life for ever. Software Developers are in high demands in
your phone number?
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by LegendHero(m): 2:37pm On Dec 06, 2021
kenzysmith:
Anytime i see d name virtual my mind go back to bet9ja virtual. Who ever discover d that thing if he is alive may GOD punish him if he is dead may he never rest in peace. For 3yrs of playing that sheet i was reduce to nothing from fresh boy to a beggar thank GOD i called my self to order.

Are you by the way talking about baby nseju?
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by Bmaster(m): 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2021
kenzysmith:
[/b]Anytime i see d name virtual my mind go back to bet9ja virtual. Who ever discover d that thing if he is alive may GOD punish him if he is dead may he never rest in peace. For 3yrs of playing that sheet i was reduce to nothing from fresh boy to a beggar thank GOD i called my self to order.
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2021
presidency:
KEYNOTE ADDRESS MADE BY HONOURABLE ATTORNEY - GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION AND MINISTER OF JUSTICE, ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN AT THE LAUNCH OF THE VIRTUAL COURT SITTING FACILITIES AT THE KUJE CORRECTIONAL CENTRE, ABUJA HELD ON 6TH DECEMBER, 2021

PROTOCOL:

Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, It is my great pleasure to welcome you all to this epoch making event which is the launch of the Virtual Court Sitting facilities deployed here at the Kuje Correctional Centre for Virtual Court Sitting Proceedings.
Permit me to thank the Honourable Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, the Comptroller - General of the Nigerian Correctional Service, the Nigerian Correctional Service, the Government of Japan and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Spotlight Initiative for their cooperation and funding support which has made today’s event a reality.

One of the strategic interventions by the Federal Ministry of Justice towards engendering lasting reforms in the Criminal Justice Sector in Nigeria was the development of the Consolidated Sentencing Guidelines (Custodial and Non-Custodial) Practice Directions, 2020. The Ministry in collaboration with the Presidential Committee on Correctional Reforms and Decongestion thereafter hosted a Virtual Technical Session involving crucial stakeholders to review and validate the draft document. At the end of the Session, it was recommended that “the Federal Ministry of Justice should expedite its engagement with the Nigerian Correctional Centres to make it possible for evidence of suspects in custody to be taken without their physical presence in court to avoid disruptions”
This is a re-enactment and consolidation of spirit of Administration of Criminal Justice Act targetted at speedy determination of cases by way of eliminating delays and displacement of denial of justice which will further support our policy of decongestion of correctional centres across the country.

It may be recalled that in my press release issued on the 20th of April 2020, on Post Covid-19 justice system plans, I had expressed the resolve of the Federal Ministry of Justice to respond appropriately to the challenges posed by the pandemic to the administration of justice in the country in collaboration with other critical stakeholders in the Justice Sector.

I also emphasized that there was the need for a paradigm shift in the administration of justice through the deployment of appropriate technologies to drive the administration of justice.

Accordingly, on the 27th of April 2020, the Committee on post Covid-19 Justice System in Nigeria was constituted and inaugurated. The primary aim of the committee is to assess and identify the challenges and impact of the Pandemic on the entire Justice System and make appropriate and actionable recommendations on the immediate, medium and long term measures for addressing the challenges of the pandemic.

One of the mandates of the committee is to work with the Nigerian Correctional Service to establish virtual court rooms/studios in correctional centres to enable suspects in custody participate in the remote hearing of cases or bail applications.

Consequently in this regard, the Ministry partnered with the UNDP and Japan Government towards deploying Virtual Court Proceedings in Correctional Centres nationwide with a Pilot Project in Kuje Correctional Centre.

As you may recall, the Covid-19 pandemic pushed various sectors of the economy of most countries of the world into a complete shutdown-from private sector organizations to public organizations, and even the Criminal Justice sector.

Court proceedings became delayed and there was an ensuing collapse of the prosecution of several high-profile cases. In the circumstance, the correctional centres were becoming overcrowded and gradually sliding into a very critical state. The Pandemic created a problem that basically could not be solved without the adoption of technology.

This project was, therefore, initiated to ensure the hearing and determination of urgent and time-bound cases, using the digital platform. This system would equally ensure speedy dispensation of trials in line with section 36(4) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended), which provides that every person shall be entitled to fair hearing within a reasonable time. It would also eliminate the issue of difficulties in conveying the inmates to court and would further ensure the safety and security of the inmates and law enforcement officers.

We are no longer constrained by mobility, space and time in the justice delivery on account of accommodation of the virtual court sitting facilities and deployment of incidental technology.

Notably, our justice system is founded on the constitutional principle of fundamental rights to fair hearing that requires the court to hear and determine cases in public and the physical presence of the suspects or parties in court.

I assure you that the Virtual Court Proceedings are in compliance with the provisions of section 36(3) of the Constitution, which provides for public court sitting or hearing. This Virtual Court Proceedings meet up with the expectation of the Constitution and are not private hearings but open to the respective counsel involved, the litigants (inmates) and the general public at large.

In addition, it is important to note that this virtual court hearing will not in any way contravene the provision of section 36(6) of the 1999 Constitution which provides for the arraignment, taking of evidence, tendering of documents, cross-examination and general conduct of criminal proceedings. In as much as these are done in accordance with the said provision, the virtual hearing would be valid.

This initiative will in no small measure help boost the economy by ensuring that funds meant for the movement of the inmates would be channeled to other essential areas of needs in the Correctional Centres, and assist the country to meet up with global best practice in terms of the Administration of the Criminal Justice.

Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, I have no doubt whatsoever, that the effective deployment of these facilities for the virtual court sitting proceedings for the inmates will significantly contribute to the overall efficiency of the criminal justice system in Nigeria.

As we launch these facilities today, I am hopeful that this initiative would bring about effective virtual court sittings in correctional centres nationwide which would feed into the adoption of the National Judicial Council Guidelines on Virtual/Remote Court Sittings and Quick Access to Justice for incarcerated citizens in Correctional centres across the Federation.

At this juncture, I must appreciate the commitment and dedication of the Administration of Criminal Justice Reform (ACJR) Department of the Federal Ministry of Justice, the representatives of the UNDP and indeed, all stakeholders who worked round the clock to ensure the success of this project.

On behalf of the President, President Muhammadu Buhari, Federal Republic of Nigeria, I thank and express my deep appreciation to the Government of Japan and UNDP Spotlight Initiative for their funding support. We look forward to a continued collaboration and it is on this note that I wish to declare this facilities open.
Thank you.

ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN
HONOURABLE ATTORNEY-GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION AND
MINISTER OF JUSTICE

Virtual in prison centres? I laugh in English. All na way to chop money sha. If you think differently, let’s have this conversation in another six months.

Anyway, I don’t buy the hype.
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by ArewaNorth: 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2021
Prosperous111:
They probably inaugurate this process cos of those Big cases they have. Such as Nnamdi Kanu case.

Virtual court room in a country that doesn’t have a 5G or strong Internet connection grin

At least this one go save DSS from spending 500 million to bring nnamdi Kanu to court every months cheesy

This was initiated due to COVID-19 disruption of court hearings since last year, implemented now!

Nigerians do zoom and other virtual meetings, interviews, conferences everyday from nooks and crannies of this Nation with no complain, as such this won't be a reason to fear.
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by IPIGSRHYPO: 3:03pm On Dec 06, 2021
Bosolanda:

This na nonsense aswear

According to you? Great.
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by Commycool22: 3:07pm On Dec 06, 2021
smiley
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by Commycool22: 3:07pm On Dec 06, 2021
see below
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by Starhearts: 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2021
Kuje prison go dey hungry some pple now
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by IPIGSRHYPO: 3:52pm On Dec 06, 2021
paskal16:
shutup afonja peasant

Yeah, someone that I can more than likely feed his whole family for a whole year with what I make in just couple of day is calling me a peasant. Poverty stricken confused clowns all over NL.
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by paskal16: 4:06pm On Dec 06, 2021
IPIGSRHYPO:

Yeah, someone that I can more than likely feed his whole family for a whole year with what I make in just couple of day is calling me a peasant. Poverty stricken confused clowns all over NL.
lmao everyone is rich on social media… only my phone go help your miserable life undecided
Dumb ass troll
Living on nairaland
I mean jst look at your godforsaken moniker
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by IPIGSRHYPO: 4:09pm On Dec 06, 2021
paskal16:
lmao everyone is rich on social media… only my phone go help your miserable life undecided

Since poverty has eaten deep into your psych, you think everyone is as poor financially and mentally as you.

Pls get a life.
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by paskal16: 4:10pm On Dec 06, 2021
IPIGSRHYPO:

Since poverty has eaten deep into my psych, i think I’m poor financially and mentally please help me.

Pls I need a life.
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 4:31pm On Dec 06, 2021
IPIGSRHYPO:

Since poverty has eaten deep into your psych, you think everyone is as poor financially and mentally as you.

Pls get a life.
mynd44 lalasticlala Seun
Rule 2
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 4:50pm On Dec 06, 2021
IPIGSRHYPO:

Pls get a life.
mynd44 lalasticlala

Rule 2
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by zoedew: 5:26pm On Dec 06, 2021
paskal16:
See as you just spoil this welcome development with that aboki mallam picture
NOT CORRECT FORMAL DRESSING BY A LAWYER MUCH LESS A SAN AND HAGF. THOSE COLOURS DO NOT BELONG!
Re: Nigeria Establishes Virtual Court Rooms/Studios In Correctional Centres by onunwa21(m): 6:15pm On Dec 06, 2021
Hope network won't go off during judgement

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Protest In ABIA State, The Boy Killed During Protest - Graphic Photos / Former Speaker, Imam, 3000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Kogi / FG Pledges $270m To ECOWAS Security Fund, $80m For Counter-Insurgency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.