Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 (12043 Views)

Peter Obi Replies Umahi: Your Claims Of Inciting Igbos Against FG Baseless / FG Fines Channels TV N5 Million Over Interview With Datti Baba-ahmed / NBA Condemns Lekki Killings, Sets To Begin Legal Actions Against FG, Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by SmartyPants(m): 7:03am On Dec 10, 2021
Mynd44:

These are the words of the Superman court

Meaning even the rule of law itself is subject to National Security not the other way

Hence why Guam is done.

Hence why Boko Haram members can be held and locked up for years without trial

Okay, let's understand principles.

1. Limitations and Derogations

In human rights, sure, there is the concept of limitation of rights, and there is the concept of derogation (suspension of certain rights in time of emergency).

In no uncertain terms, derogation is not permitted under the African Charter. State parties thereto, therefore cannot under any circumstances claim to suspend human rights pending the restoration of national security. There is a plethora of cases to this effect.

Even where derogation is allowed (in other human rights systems outside Africa), there is a particular legal procedure that must be followed before any such right can be derogated from. The requirements are stringent, and rarely ever used.

What is allowed in the African context, is the limitation of rights. And this must not be arbitrary, it must be done in line with existing laws, and not at the whim of the president or his agents.

2. Guam is the worst example you could use because it actually illustrates my point. The reason those alleged terrorists are held in Gam is not that there is not enough space on mainland USA. IT is because their law does not permit the torture and indefinite detention of individuals that goes on at Guam. Since Guam is not on mainland USA, the executive use it to bypass their own constitutional human rights protections.

If you have been following the news, every president pledges to shut it down because there is no legal justification.

The rule of law can never be suspended inany democracy, no matter what. That is a ludicrous idea.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Mynd44: 7:14am On Dec 10, 2021
SmartyPants:

Okay, let's understand principles.

1. Limitations and Derogations

In human rights, sure, there is the concept of limitation of rights, and there is the concept of derogation (suspension of certain rights in time of emergency).

In no uncertain terms, derogation is not permitted under the African Charter. State parties thereto, therefore cannot under any circumstances claim to suspend human rights pending the restoration of national security. There is a plethora of cases to this effect.

Even where derogation is allowed (in other human rights systems outside Africa), there is a particular legal procedure that must be followed before any such right can be derogated from. The requirements are stringent, and rarely ever used.

What is allowed in the African context, is the limitation of rights. And this must not be arbitrary, it must be done in line with existing laws, and not at the whim of the president or his agents.

2. Guam is the worst example you could use because it actually illustrates my point. The reason those alleged terrorists are held in Gam is not that there is not enough space on mainland USA. IT is because their law does not permit the torture and indefinite detention of individuals that goes on at Guam. Since Guam is not on mainland USA, the executive use it to bypass their own constitutional human rights protections.

If you have been following the news, every president pledges to shut it down because there is no legal justification.

The rule of law can never be suspended inany democracy, no matter what. That is a ludicrous idea.

Every time National issues pop up and people throw up International treaties and charters, I get bored and Tried.

Every country is sovereign in its laws and governance and can decide to go against a charter it signed. The only laws a country is subject to are its own laws as made by the legislature or as declared by the judiciary.

The FG held Dokubo for years and the supreme court said they can because he was considered a national threat.

That is precedence and that is the basis of the law in this case or did you see the judge mentioning the AU charter or the UN charter?
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Godons1: 7:22am On Dec 10, 2021
DonaldGenes:

Spits on Nigerian court! Very typical

Chinedu relax, the judgement make sense and FG was right. grin

Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by SmartyPants(m): 7:25am On Dec 10, 2021
Mynd44:

Every time National issues pop up and people throw up International treaties and charters, I get bored and Tried.

Every country is sovereign in its laws and governance and can decide to go against a charter it signed. The only laws a country is subject to are its own laws as made by the legislature or as declared by the judiciary.

The FG held Dokubo for years and the supreme court said they can because he was considered a national threat.

That is precedence and that is the basis of the law in this case or did you see the judge mentioning the AU charter or the UN charter?

Well, good! When the judge there makes reference to the suspension of human rights, notice he does not rely on any Nigerian provision. He merely says, "such is not new". That is because such is foreign to our constitution, though it is known to International Law. But since you wish to exclude international law from the conversation, then tell me, what is the statutory basis of the suspension of any right?

What is the status of legal precedent as compared to Constitutional provisions?

Peruse:

Section 1: Supremacy of the Constitution
Sections 33-46: Fundamental Human Rights

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Then tell me which law in Nigeria permits all the excesses you have defended.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Mynd44: 7:28am On Dec 10, 2021
SmartyPants:

Well, good! When the judge there makes reference to the suspension of human rights, notice he does not rely on any Nigerian provision. He merely says, "such is not new". That is because such is foreign to our constitution, though it is known to International Law. But since you wish to exclude international law from the conversation, then tell me, what is the statutory basis of the suspension of any right?

Peruse:

Supremacy of the Constitution.

The fact is that for you to even have a rule of law, you need to have national security.

There are times things are not stipulated by law yet are applicable case-in-point, "doctrine of necessity"

I am afraid this part will only lead to derailing of this thread. We kinda have to stop
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by asapeola(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2021
Mynd44:

Abeg keep schooling these kids on National Sovereignty and some funny international treaties and agreements that one country could decide to leave with the whiff of a pen! I wonder how he dared say the African charter supercedes our national constitution. Then all countries might just void their individual laws and we all tow the international laws. A simple analogy is saying because your street has a gate then u dont need to secure your own property. The likes of Edward Snowden and Julian Assange should have quoted their fundamental human rights of expression instead of hiding. Well-done bro and I just sincerely hope they are learning.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by SmartyPants(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2021
Mynd44:

Supremacy of the Constitution.

The fact is that for you to even have a rule of law, you need to have national security.

There are times things are not stipulated by law yet are applicable case-in-point, "doctrine of necessity"

I am afraid this part will only lead to derailing of this thread. We kinda have to stop

Agree to disagree then.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by SirLakes: 7:30am On Dec 10, 2021
Richy4:
I am interested in the tax expect of the matter.. if twitter was supposed to pay taxes and they were not, why is that?...

No wonder there are zero infrastructure... Pictures of bad roads keep surfacing on social media about the state of roads in Nigeria.. if a giant like Twitter isn't paying...

It is Twitter's tax that will bring sanity to the country and also restore the decayed infrastructure.

What have they been doing with the one they've been collecting?

Wow!

Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by chukel(m): 7:36am On Dec 10, 2021
DonaldGenes:

if you read the judgement, you would have spat on yourself.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Richy4(m): 7:36am On Dec 10, 2021
SirLakes:

It is Twitter's tax that will bring sanity to the country and also restore the decayed infrastructure.

What have they been doing with the one they've been collecting?

Wow!

I can't educate you on the benefits of tax...
Just your comment shows that you have zero knowledge about it and what it does.. I can't afford the luxury of wasting my time starting from ground zero.. cheers
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by MyExpression(m): 7:39am On Dec 10, 2021
SmartyPants:
Egwuatu held that when national security is threatened, the issues of fundamental human rights take a second stage

Such statements should make all shudder. Does this lawyer even understand what fundamental human rights are - as opposed to the broader concept of human rights?

This stance is quite scary.

Even in war times, which is worse than "threat" of national security, the media, children and medical personnel are not shot at.

The precedence this judge is setting with this speech, is a misleading information that may lead to more actions against a civil society.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by chukel(m): 7:41am On Dec 10, 2021
SmartyPants:
Egwuatu held that when national security is threatened, the issues of fundamental human rights take a second stage

Such statements should make all shudder. Does this lawyer even understand what fundamental human rights are - as opposed to the broader concept of human rights?

We have a long way to go.

Edit:

Egwuatu is the judge not the lawyer - my mistake.
the boldened is what is obtainable in every sovereign nation. You guys just want to decimate Nigeria by any means.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by asapeola(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2021
SmartyPants:

Peruse:

Honestly, i think you need to go back and read the details of the case including the claimants and defendants arguments so that u can appreciate their points before coming to argue. The defendants saying Twitter is against national security was a masterstroke and that effectively killed the case. If u did read the basis of judgement properly, you would see that that was the first point the judge highlighted before proceeding to other economic aspects of the ban and then the locus standi of the claimants. Even though the defendants should have gone further to present tax payments of other media companies which would have really helped to nail twitter but then the issue of national security is very touchy n sometimes vague because even the court does not have such info and may not require the defendants to state such in a public hearing. But basically, the court has said your claim to fundamental human rights is limited and thats applicable to all countries hence it used the phrase "not something new."
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by chukel(m): 7:44am On Dec 10, 2021
MyExpression:

Even in war times, which is worse than "threat" of national security, the media, children and medical personnel are not shot at.

The precedence this judge is setting with this speech, is a misleading information that may lead to more actions against a civil society.
there is nothing like the precedence he is setting. That statementbis in the Nigerian constitution. It is also in the constitution of every sovereign nation. You guys should read wide and stop being sentimental.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by SirLakes: 7:49am On Dec 10, 2021
Richy4:

I can't educate you on the benefits of tax...
Just your comment shows that you have zero knowledge about it and what it does.. I can't afford the luxury of wasting my time starting from ground zero.. cheers

The tax they're are collecting from companies with physical structures in Lagos has turned Lagos to Dubai.

Nonsense
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by asapeola(m): 7:49am On Dec 10, 2021
MyExpression:

The children and hospitals that Israel and even US have been shooting at, who is gonna stand up for them? Even in Nigeria, our Air force jets have couple of times shot at IDPs, what did u do abt it? Please be real!
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by fredoooooo: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2021
They should be fined more than that. They should be told to pay the tax federal government want from twitter.. buncha stupid people
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Bizibi(m): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2021
Agf
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by MyExpression(m): 8:01am On Dec 10, 2021
asapeola:

The children and hospitals that Israel and even US have been shooting at, who is gonna stand up for them? Even in Nigeria, our Air force jets have couple of times shot at IDPs, what did u do abt it? Please be real!

Charles Taylor, Muhammad Gaddafi, Sadam Hussain....amongst others; these are national leaders that have been convicted by the ICJ for war crimes and gross violation of human right.

Why didn't they simply delist their nation from the UN or AU

That the Nigerian ministry of Defence is not been prosecuted doesn't make it right.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Chinnems(m): 8:02am On Dec 10, 2021
There is neither truth nor justice, only POWER.

SERAP doesn't know how to play this game.

Demanding transparency and accountability goes beyond the casual whipping up of public sentiment.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by aspabay(m): 8:11am On Dec 10, 2021
DonaldGenes:

Of course, every judgement that does go in line woth your biased mindset is rubbish.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by asanausana91: 8:26am On Dec 10, 2021
Very good! All these political human right groups think we don't know who's agenda they are playing. Thank God the judge is a Igbo, if not they would have started saying rubbish about the judge.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Mynd44: 8:27am On Dec 10, 2021
MyExpression:

Charles Taylor, Muhammad Gaddafi, Sadam Hussain....amongst others; these are national leaders that have been convicted by the ICJ for war crimes and gross violation of human right.

Why didn't they simply delist their nation from the UN or AU

That the Nigerian ministry of Defence is not been prosecuted doesn't make it right.
No army in the world is prosecuted for "green fire". If your army mistakenly bombs an hospital based on wrong Intel, it is sad but the ICC want do anything.

BTW, have you asked why the ICC has never arrested a western ruler? Dick Cheney, Bush, Donald Rumsfeld etc?
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by MT: 8:30am On Dec 10, 2021
DonaldGenes:

Nothing typical.here, SERAP is the most noisy organisation I have ever seen. Always rushing to court on all cases without carefully weighing up the merits.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by Montaque(m): 8:43am On Dec 10, 2021
The news article was written by a government supporter. Nowhere in his article did he quote excerpts of the judgement. Instead he carried his base feelings into interpreting the judgment. I will read the judgment itself to know it's ratio. Not these whitewashed article
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by omojeesu(m): 8:51am On Dec 10, 2021
Twitter and FGN are friends.
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by od501: 8:53am On Dec 10, 2021
helinues:
Has SERAP ever won a single case against government?

They have been told to SHARAP

Did you see how useless and uninformed you BMCs can be. Who told you they have not win a single case?
Re: Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000 by rexwalters: 9:02am On Dec 10, 2021
Montaque:
The news article was written by a government supporter. Nowhere in his article did he quote excerpts of the judgement. Instead he carried his base feelings into interpreting the judgment. I will read the judgment itself to know it's ratio. Not these whitewashed article

The judge held that the media houses, under which SERAP had filed the suit, did not complain about the ban, hence, the plaintiff cannot cry more than the bereaved.

He also agreed with the defendants that there are other microblogging platforms through which the plaintiff could express information like Facebook and others.

Justice Egwuatu held that when national security is threatened, the issues of fundamental human rights take a second stage. He said besides, Twitter was not a registered company in the country as required by the laws.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyegun: 99 Percent Of APC Presidential Aspirants Agreed To Consensus / Appeal Court Bars PDP From Conducting Fresh Primaries In Ihedioha's Constituency / 14 Years After Yar’adua’s Death: Nigeria Would’ve Been Much Better, Says Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.