Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? (367 Views)

Wike Declares 19 Persons Wanted Over Black Soot In Port Harcourt / Black Soot During Heavy Rainfall In Port Harcourt Pix / Increasing Horrible Black Soot In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:22am On Dec 12, 2021
I always shudder to believe that Port Harcourt was once given the moniker “the Garden City”. When I see historical evidence of the lush green big gardens that once inundated the streets of Port Harcourt, and juxtaposing that with the current pollution of soot, all my brain can process is an illusionary mirage. Then the next question will be, what happened to Port Harcourt?

Prior to the 1956 discovery of oil in Oloibiri, Port Harcourt was a heartland for another kind of oil trade, this time it was palm oil, that was shipped in mass quantities abroad to produce lubricants. Hence the name “Oil River”. It has lush mangrove and rich palm trees which the Royal Niger Company and some other foreign interest traded in. It was finally named after Lord Harcourt. Lewis Vernon Harcourt, 1st Viscount Harcourt PC (born Reginald Vernon Harcourt (31 January 1863 – 24 February 1922), was a British Liberal Party politician who held the Cabinet post of Secretary of State for the Colonies from 1910 to 1915. Lord Harcourt’s nickname was “Loulou”.

The historical trade of oil palm and then crude oil brought development to Port Harcourt and the influx could be seen in the green gardens and the well-kept streets. BP British Petroleum, set up refinery there in the 60s, other establishments followed. The oil trade has also brought its own nefarious effect to the garden city. The illegal trade in oil and creation of all forms of illegal refinery has polluted the environment in the Garden City. Port Harcourt has become a soot city and this has greatly hampered livability as people now die from lung disease and other pollutants. Today in terms of air quality index, Port Harcourt fails terribly. Now it is the most polluted city in Nigeria. The shocking narrative is how did the Garden City become the most polluted city? I dare say “the Nigerian factor”.

My concern is the air pollution and the government must work hard to reduce it by clamping down on those illegal activities and hold the oil majors accountable. The situation is so bad that recently I visited Port Harcourt and I came back with a bad cough. I saw firsthand, how the floor was cleaned and minutes after dust particles were seen on the same floor. The particulate matter of dust is intense in Port Harcourt.

The people that live in that city are living in a danger zone, akin to living in Chernobyl. I dare say, this is the problem across the Niger Delta too.
The People in Nembe are also suffering as we speak. Their Christmas has been truncated by the gold sputtering of oil and gas from the Christmas Tree. While the game of musical chairs goes on in Abuja, pollution is destroying lives and livelihoods. It is time to save the Garden City.

Rufai Oseni, rufaioseni@gmail.com

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/12/11/is-port-harcourt-still-the-garden-city/
Re: Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by TarOrfeeek: 12:35am On Dec 12, 2021
angry angry

Even to soak garri and travel (leave for a few minutes to swell)

I come back, soot done full the plate.

Nigerian Government has destroyed the environment and still destroyed the economy.
Re: Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:41am On Dec 12, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
angry angry

Even to soak garri and travel (leave for a few minutes to swell)

I come back, soot done full the plate.

Nigerian Government has destroyed the environment and still destroyed the economy.

The Governor and the Statehouse of Assembly can immediately hold a meeting and ban illegal bunkering in the State. Make it a high crime to do so.

The government can set up a monitoring committee to track other sources of soot.

Then close down companies polluting the State. Waiting for the Federal Government is wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:41am On Dec 12, 2021
The soot is choking. It is too bad. We can not keep waiting.

1 Like

Re: Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by helinues: 5:20am On Dec 12, 2021
May be Garden soot

That's the effects of bunkering. State government can't deny of not knowing who are behind it. They are also beneficiaries from the bunkering money

3 Likes

Re: Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by chrisxxx(m): 6:12am On Dec 12, 2021
The headquarters presently is a community called Ibaa in Emuoha LGA near Port Harcourt. They siphon the crude from several pipelines belonging to SPDC that crisscross the community. But this can't exist without the support of the military and other security agencies. Presently it is hard to find accommodation in the same town because those who come to buy finished product try to stay in the town in order to get the product mainly diesel as they lack the capacity to refine other products.
The solution to stop this is adding more military to make bribing them highly exorbitant. Secondly the military personnel posted there shouldn't come from any cantonment or barracks in Rivers State and shouldn't stay more than two weeks at most.
The house of assembly should pass a law prohibiting illegal refining just as they have done with open grazing.
The government should contact foreign security mercenaries to engage these people. Boko Haram were killing Nigerians in the north and foreign mercenaries were deployed. These illegal refiners are killing people in Rivers State that should also apply.
The activities of these guys are not only affecting the environment but also the economy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Soot: Is Port Harcourt Still The Garden City? by suffering: 6:42am On Dec 12, 2021
Only one epistle? Pitiful. Things should start getting better after penning two hundred. By the time you write seven hundred the situation will magically rectify itself.

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Is Stingy - Femi Adesina / Benue Female Councilor Berates LG Boss Over Embezzlement Of Christmas Packages / Nothing Can Separate Nigeria. Not Ethnicity, Region Or Class – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.