Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,753 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) (3025 Views)

My Journey After Graduation In 2012 / A Nairalander Aviation Journey So Far.. / From N10,000 Salary To Millionaire Pay: My Grace Filled Career Journey So Far. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 7:20am On Dec 14, 2021
It feels so good to finally be on my 'digital marketing' journey. Now, I am a tech sis in the making and so passionate about promoting brands to connect with potential customers using the internet and other forms of digital communication.

This article shares how I got into the field.

Around January, I had a tough time making a decision between going for a masters degree programme or towing the skills and certifications path.

After several months of contemplating, I settled for skills and certifications, but I still had to take some time to figure out which particular field I wanted to go into.

I wanted something more than just a 'first degree', so figuring out my next academic or vocational move was paramount.

Having graduated in 2015, I served my country 'Nigeria' in the mandatory National Youth Service Corps(NYSC) programme in 2016, it is not uncommon in this techy days to say that a University degree is not enough to get you a job, let alone a good one.

I realized this after being 'corporately idle' for a few years. Corporately idle because I have never had a full-time job, just part-time jobs.

This is 2021.

Can you now imagine how long it took me to do 'something different' with my life? All in all, I believe it is never too late to do something. Better late than never, right?

Fast forward to September, I decided to go for a 'digital skill' in relation to my interests, hobbies and general personality.

That skill is, DIGITAL MARKETING.

Most elements of 'digital marketing' are related to things I have a knack for, which are:

- Building relationships with people.

- Writing.

- Understanding how people think/feel and the reasons behind why they do what they do.

- Social media.

- Paying attention to details.

- Learning new stuff.

- Research.

- Solving communicational/relational issues etc...

Digital Marketing encompasses all of these and because they all come naturally to me, I thought to myself, 'Why not take on your passions and build a career around it?'

Now, I am standing here only because 'digital marketing' made a way!

(In Travis Greene's voice).

Although a theoretical foundation is important, Digital Marketing is actually a very practical field. One has to strategize, track and measure his/her outcomes and adjust where necessary.

So far, I am still at the start of its learning curve. I plan to work on digital projects and also get an internship role, where I can learn more on the job and get industry experience.

As time goes on, I will be updating my Digital Marketing journey so far.

4 Likes

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by domido(m): 10:19pm On Dec 15, 2021
Nice one Cindy

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 9:07am On Dec 16, 2021
domido:
Nice one Cindy

Thank you smiley
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by abimic(m): 10:37am On Dec 16, 2021
You are on the right path.

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 11:17pm On Dec 16, 2021
abimic:
You are on the right path.

Thanks a bunch smiley
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by hothead(m): 12:34am On Dec 17, 2021
Let's be in touch. We can work together on some digital promotions ..

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 8:44am On Dec 17, 2021
hothead:
Let's be in touch. We can work together on some digital promotions ..

Okay,I will send you an email.

Thanks smiley
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Victorlolo80(m): 6:06am On Dec 18, 2021
Nice I just started too bought a course on udemy to learn

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 3:16pm On Dec 18, 2021
Victorlolo80:
Nice I just started too bought a course on udemy to learn

Oh Udemy....that's cool.

Nice to meet you,Victor.

I just replied your email.
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by doyindeda(m): 7:50pm On Dec 19, 2021
Cindy222:
It feels so good to finally be on my 'digital marketing' journey. Now, I am a tech sis in the making and so passionate about promoting brands to connect with potential customers using the internet and other forms of digital communication......

Interesting, the journey is similar for me, given I graduated 2016 and started pursuing data analytics and digital marketing this year. Let's link up pls.... I'll send you an email

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2021
doyindeda:

Interesting, the journey is similar for me, given I graduated 2016 and started pursuing data analytics and digital marketing this year. Let's link up pls.... I'll send you an email

I just replied your email. It's nice to meet you,Doyin smiley

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 3:48pm On Feb 13, 2022
MY TRANSITION TO TECH.

In September 2021,I made a decision to tow the 'Skill' path instead of going for a Master's Degree Program.

I picked a 'Tech Skill' that was in-tune with my personality and things that come naturally to me,so I can put in my all and enjoy the ride.

I went for Digital Marketing.

It encompasses; Research,Observation,Empathy,Building relationships,Learning,Un-learning,Re-learning,Writing,Patience,Deep thinking etc.

I started self-learning and it has been an awesome journey but not an easy one.

If you're not accountable to someone,not consistent and lack direction,self learning is going to be a tug of war because you can easily get discouraged and lose focus.

I am still self learning and getting to know more and more things as time goes by.

I feel writing about this might help some people in one way or another.
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 3:50pm On Feb 13, 2022
Before I started my self-learning journey in digital marketing, I had to research how to start and where to start from.

I figured I had to have background knowledge of digital marketing.

This led me to Google Digital Skills for Africa where I took 'The Fundamentals of Digital Marketing' course.

I learned a lot of things about being a digital marketer, like;

-Encouraging visitors to take action while on a website i.e Call To Action(CTA) e.g Buy now, Call now, etc.

-Writing effective and relevant content on a website.

-Making sure a website is mobile-friendly using a responsive design approach, having touch-screen phones in mind too.

-If you want increased sales, focus on content marketing and paid advertising.

-If you want increased awareness for a brand/business focus on social media.

-If you want to grow an e-mail marketing list; release freebies, special offers, special content, etc.

-The 'See, Think, Do, Care' Framework i.e the 4 stages most online customers go through before making a purchase online.

-Audience Segmentation.

-Touchpoints i.e the stage when a customer or potential customer comes in contact with a business/brand. As a digital marketer, you have to impress them at every touchpoint online.

These are just a few of the things I learned from the course, I will keep writing about all I have learned and still learning in different courses and workshops.
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by donestk(m): 5:43pm On Feb 13, 2022
Inspiring

Cindy222:
Before I started my self-learning journey in digital marketing, I had to research how to start and where to start from.

I figured I had to have background knowledge of digital marketing.

This led me to Google Digital Skills for Africa where I took 'The Fundamentals of Digital Marketing' course.

I learned a lot of things about being a digital marketer, like;

-Encouraging visitors to take action while on a website i.e Call To Action(CTA) e.g Buy now, Call now, etc.

-Writing effective and relevant content on a website.

-Making sure a website is mobile-friendly using a responsive design approach, having touch-screen phones in mind too.

-If you want increased sales, focus on content marketing and paid advertising.

-If you want increased awareness for a brand/business focus on social media.

-If you want to grow an e-mail marketing list; release freebies, special offers, special content, etc.

-The 'See, Think, Do, Care' Framework i.e the 4 stages most online customers go through before making a purchase online.

-Audience Segmentation.

-Touchpoints i.e the stage when a customer or potential customer comes in contact with a business/brand. As a digital marketer, you have to impress them at every touchpoint online.

These are just a few of the things I learned from the course, I will keep writing about all I have learned and still learning in different courses and workshops.
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 1:59pm On Feb 27, 2022
Being part of communities in relation to your career is vital. These communities foster networking which in turn aids in career growth and development.

In the tech world,joining an online community is necessary. I want to share my tech journey community-wise.

I have joined so many communities online, related to tech and I have really gained a lot from them. I can't begin to write all I have learnt so far because there are so many.

I am research-oriented,so most of the ones I joined,I actually found them during my research.

Some of the few I joined are;

-@HerTechTrail
-@SheCodeAfrica
-@Preparing4tech
-@WomenInTech
-@StartupGrind Etc.

Most times they set-up virtual events with experienced speakers and I get to attend. These events are mostly free and value-packed.

In one of these communities,there's a project called TECH-BUDDIES. You get paired with tech-buddies in relation to your field of tech once you register for it.

Once you're paired,you guys learn together,share your journeys,lessons,resources etc and you also get to be accountable to each other.

I just got paired with my own tech-buddies and I can't wait to start buddying up with them tech-wise. I am loving the idea already.

Even if you're just transitioning into tech or you're an experienced techie,I see joining communities as a necessity because it can help in several ways. Let's say,you're tired of your old job and you need a new or better one,you can see lots of opportunities in such communities and can even get referrals from there.

Let's all keep searching for more and more communities related to our field and keep joining them. Please tell others too about the importance of joining online communities.

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Blackblessed500(m): 3:06pm On Feb 27, 2022
Here to learn
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by nnekabincom: 8:35am On Feb 28, 2022
There's a programme that gives one the opportunity to learn skills, gain experience and exposure, It spans from 1 - 2 years and there are payment plans for anyone interested. Digital Marketing is one of the tracks of this programme. If you're interested, register via https:///6ueLmAt89U and you'll get a response with next steps in 24 hours
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by bercarray(m): 9:51am On Feb 28, 2022
Cindy222 please this group you are talking about, they are on which platform, telegram, Instagram or where

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Cindy222(f): 1:23am On Mar 01, 2022
bercarray:
Cindy222 please this group you are talking about, they are on which platform, telegram, Instagram or where

Firstly, follow all of them on twitter and checkout their posts, feel free to DM them and ask about joining their communities. Some are for just the female gender though.

OR

You can read about them and find out how to join their communities.
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by bercarray(m): 6:34pm On Mar 01, 2022
Cindy222:

Firstly, follow all of them on twitter and checkout their posts, feel free to DM them and ask about joining their communities. Some are for just the female gender though.

OR

You can read about them and find out how to join their communities.
ok thanks for the information

1 Like

Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by oseremenifidon: 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2022
Cindy222:
It feels so good to finally be on my 'digital marketing' journey. Now, I am a tech sis in the making and so passionate about promoting brands to connect with potential customers using the internet and other forms of digital communication.

Around January, I had a tough time making a decision between going for a masters degree programme or towing the skills and certifications path.

After several months of contemplating, I settled for skills and certifications, but I still had to take some time to figure out which particular field I wanted to go into.

I wanted something more than just a 'first degree', so figuring out my next academic or vocational move was paramount.

Having graduated in 2015, I served my country 'Nigeria' in the mandatory National Youth Service Corps(NYSC) programme in 2016, it is not uncommon in this techy days to say that a University degree is not enough to get you a job, let alone a good one.

I realized this after being 'corporately idle' for a few years. Corporately idle because I have never had a full-time job, just part-time jobs.

This is 2021.

Can you now imagine how long it took me to do 'something different' with my life? All in all, I believe it is never too late to do something. Better late than never, right?

Fast forward to September, I decided to go for a 'digital skill' in relation to my interests, hobbies and general personality.

Most elements of 'digital marketing' are related to things I have a knack for, which are:

- Writing.

- Understanding how people think/feel and the reasons behind why they do what they do.

- Social media.

- Learning new stuff.

- Research.

Digital Marketing encompasses all of these and because they all come naturally to me, I thought to myself, 'Why not take on your passions and build a career around it?'

Although a theoretical foundation is important, Digital Marketing is actually a very practical field. One has to strategize, track and measure his/her outcomes and adjust where necessary.

So far, I am still at the start of its learning curve. I plan to work on digital projects and also get an internship role, where I can learn more on the job and get industry experience.

Generate free and quality leads for your business
www.digitalrocket.com.ng
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by swanpiccolo: 9:45am On Dec 16, 2022
Cindy222:

This is 2021.

- Writing.

- Social media.

- Learning new stuff.

- Research.

The elements you listed are the very core of marketing, both digital and traditional in my opinion. I think you made a good career choice and I wish you good luck on your journey!
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Adeoye11(m): 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2022
How I wish this trend can continue!
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by dayssolalee(m): 2:40am On Feb 27, 2023
Goodnews

there is a platform that will hold your hand and put you through digital marketing with a vast resources on Digital Marketing. Get 400+ Video Courses +eBooks on Affiliate Marketing, Content Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Click Funnel and Digital Product Designs. Visit Souljar Mind Academy to get started https://souljarmind.com/
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by Pennywise2: 5:54am On Apr 10, 2023
digital solutions for success can always be employed at homes, schools, churches, hospitals etc.
Re: Digital Marketing (My Journey So Far) by priyankayadav: 12:33pm On Aug 21, 2023
Digital marketing is used for various online channels, platforms, and strategies to promote and advertise products, services, or brands to a target audience. My successful experience in the digital marketing field involves a combination of strategy, creativity, technical skills, and adaptability. Starting my career in digital marketing is a good decision. If you are also looking for a great career in digital marketing I recommend The IoT Academy. It provides the best digital marketing course in noida and many courses like Machine Learning, Embedded Systems, Full Stack Java Development, the Internet of Things.

(1) (Reply)

My Advice For You As An Accountant! / Cisa June 2008 Study Group. / Bidding For Jobs On Getafreelancer.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.