Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP (1348 Views)

Controversy Trails Leaked List Of Terrorists’ Financiers / Controversy Trails Abuja Rice Pyramid Show, As Farmers Reporedly Scam CBN / Caption This Picture Of Osinbajo And Atiku Campaign Bus Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by TheRareGem1(f): 7:55am On Dec 14, 2021
The account of how Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), was chosen in 2015 contained in the new book by the pioneer Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief Bisi Akande, appears to have elicited a raft of narratives within the ruling party.

It was gathered that contrary to claims in Akande’s book that Osinbajo emerged based on the unreserved endorsement of APC national leader and former Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, the choice of the incumbent vice president was initially opposed to by Tinubu.

The new narratives followed the account by Akande who, in his book, My Participations, in which he said that Osinbajo received the full and unreserved support of Tinubu support at the time.

In his autobiography, launched in Lagos last week to mark his birthday, Akande said Tinubu was instrumental, all the way, in the eventual selection of Osinbajo.

Akande, who said that Buhari reneged on an agreement to make Tinubu his 2015 running mate over an opposition to a Muslim-Muslim ticket by some party chieftains, noted that Buhari had later requested a list of names from the South West which included Osinbajo.

Akande, who recounted his encounter with Tinubu at the time, quoted the Lagos governor as saying, “I don’t want to be part of whatever you are discussing now, ‘he said. ‘I don’t trust Buhari anymore! Even if we give him names, he may decide to go outside the list. So, let him choose on his own. He was unhappy with Buhari.

“I told him that was not the attitude to adopt. We were trying to toy with some names and I wanted him to participate in the discussion. After some time, Amosun, Aregbesola and I were considering some names. Then I decided to call Tinubu again

We negotiated with Buhari in 2011 and gave him a name to choose instead of Pastor Bakare,’ I spoke to Tinubu on phone. ‘Who was that person?’ l asked.

‘It was Yemi Osinbajo,’ Tinubu declared. I asked Aregbesola to find out where Osinbajo was. He called him on the phone. ‘Yemi, where are you?

‘Don’t you know your case is coming up tomorrow?’ ‘l am in Abuja to argue your case.’ Osinbajo answered at the other end. ‘Which hotel are you staying?” Osinbajo told him.

“I got a blank sheet of paper and wrote Yemi Osinbajo on it. I instructed Amosun and Aregbesola to deliver that note to Buhari immediately. It was almost midnight. Then the two of them left.”

He continued: “I was waiting for Buhari to call me after he must have received my message. He did not. It was Tinubu who came to me at the wee hours of the morning. He was not in a good mood and was worried that Buhari might visit our efforts with bad faith.

“Let us go back to Lagos”, he said. Why? I asked. “Maybe Buhari has his own agenda,” he said. Even if we give him a name , he might not use the person. Maybe he just wants to use us for whatever his agenda might be.”

“I reassured him that Buhari will not disappoint us and that he would agree with our choice as the vice presidential candidate of our party,” Akande said

However, some APC chieftains conversant with the intrigues surrounding Osinbajo’s emergence as running mate in 2015, said that contary to the claim in Akande’s book, the former Lagos governor was not initially disposed to Osinbajo’s choice.

It was learnt that while some APC national leaders backed Osinbajo for the position in 2015, Tinubu was uncomfortable with the nomination because Osinbajo had initially advised against a “Muslim-Muslim” ticket.

Tinubu’s reluctance reportedly led to a showdown between him and Buhari.

Emerging new details from few party chieftains who witnessed the altercation between Buhari and Tinubu at the latter’s Abuja residence one day to the deadline to pick a running mate confirmed what took place, details that have been largely kept secret since then.

Authoritative sources said that after Buhari had visited the former Lagos Governor to explain why he won’t be able to pick him as the running mate for the 2015 election, the former Governor openly disagreed with the decision of the party candidate.

Buhari had decided that a Muslim-Muslim ticket would not suit the mood of the nation. He then wanted Tinubu to play the lead role in deciding his running mate.

But after an altercation between them, Buhari walked out of the house, upset that Tinubu was still insisting that he had to run with him. Tinubu himself was also deeply upset, arguing that the implications of his political partnership with Buhari all the while was for them to run together.

Akande reportedly shared this view with Tinubu.

We gathered that after Buhari left, Aregbesola prevailed on Tinubu that in the circumstances the party would have to send Osinbajo’s name, to which Tinubu strongly objected, saying that, “Yemi should not benefit” from the rejection of the Muslim-Muslim ticket because he had argued against it.

Tinubu had set up a group, comprising Osinbajo and others, to examine the issue of a running mate, among other matters.

Osinbajo alone took the view that a Muslim-Muslim was not prudent at the time.

We gathered that after the disagreement between Buhari and Tinubu, the former Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, also visited Tinubu’s residence after Buhari left.

A US-based Nigerian professor at one of the meetings said, “Truth is that Tinubu’s original support for Osinbajo to run with Buhari was theoretical, the former Lagos State Governor needed to be Buhari’s running mate in 2015 to prepare the ground for his emergence as President after Buhari.”

Another source added that, “When the time came to choose the running mate, Tinubu abandoned all other options and pressed hard to be picked, which was why a decision on the matter could not be taken until the very last minute. It was the reason Buhari visited Tinubu that evening in December 2014.”

The source continued, “Tinubu stated that he would rather support former Labour leader Adams Oshiomhole, of Edo or former Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun. But everyone around that night from Chief Bisi Akande, to then Governors Amosun and Aregbesola all opposed these other options, with Aregbesola taking the lead to explain to Tinubu that Osinbajo remains his best bet.

“Taking matters into his own hands but without a firm refusal by Tinubu, Aregbesola, not Amosun, then called Prof. Osinbajo. But it was indeed Amosun that sent the car and took Osinbajo to Buhari that night in Abuja.”

As had been widely reported already in the media since 2014, Osinbajo had no clue of what was happening until Aregbesola called him and Amosun picked him up from his hotel in Abuja to go meet the then APC Presidential candidate who then announced Osinbajo as his running mate without any further revert to Tinubu.

Said one of the sources, “This is why when you ask those close to President Buhari, they will say there were three names, and not just one, because the President was aware of Tinubu’s insistence and another Committee he formed had recommended three people to him including Osinbajo.”

The source said, “I think it is safe to say Asiwaju eventually stopped fighting hard to prevent Osinbajo at that last minute, knowing the deal was already done and because he was certain Osinbajo won’t hurt him.”

Another version of the story widely circulated on social media after Akande’s book was released gave credit to Amosun for making the call to Osinbajo, a claim widely rejected by sources familiar with the inside story.

Aregbesola’s aide who pleaded not to be named, said “We want to focus on the work we are doing in the ministry of interior rather than get involved in the matter at this time.”

Another aide to the minister also said “I will get in touch with my principal and get back to you on this issue.”

Meanwhile, when contacted, former governor of Ogun State, Ibikunle Amosun, did not pick up his calls or respond to the text message sent to his mobile phone.

An aide to Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, Mr Tunde Rahman, also did not pick up his call when our correspondent called to get the response of his principal

https://leadership.ng/controversy-trails-akandes-account-of-osinbajos-emergence-as-vp/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by chatinent: 8:00am On Dec 14, 2021
Yawns
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Baawaa(m): 8:07am On Dec 14, 2021
R
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Righteousness2(m): 8:09am On Dec 14, 2021
Chief Tinubu was Definitely highly instrumental in Osinbanjo nomination.

I Believe The Main reason why Osinbanjo was nominated ahead of others was the PASTOR Title that was attached to his Name.

Pmb due to his Islamic stand desperately needed someone with a Christian religious title to douse the Perceived thoughts towards him.

I Sincerely believe if Osinbanjo was not a Pastor, He would never have been Vice President today.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Maxymilliano(m): 8:23am On Dec 14, 2021
It was learnt that while some APC national leaders backed Osinbajo for the position in 2015, Tinubu was uncomfortable with the nomination because Osinbajo had initially advised against a “Muslim-Muslim” ticket.
The nomination of Osibanjo to deputize General Buhari in 2015 was to checkmate Buhari's glaring preference for Pastor Tunde Bakare as it was obvious a GMB/Tinubu ticket may spell doom for the newly formed party. The nomination was highly influenced by Tinubu and not any APC national leaders.

Who sabi Osibanjo for APC at national level prior to 2015 election
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 14, 2021
Trying so hard to remove the baby from the mothers breast..
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 8:28am On Dec 14, 2021
The whole thing is a lamentation to beg and cry to buhari to have pity on tinubu

It doesn't matter if osinbajo becomes a collateral damage thrown under the bus

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 8:32am On Dec 14, 2021
Tinubu is really an insensitive greedy bigot

He had no choice than to go for a Yoruba Christian and the fact he went for yemi that was his hand bag shows how much he needed pawns to control

Naturally there was fayemi and other big ranking Yoruba Christian he could have chosen

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Jollylolly(f): 8:44am On Dec 14, 2021
we know how he emerge as VP. No one can say no when your time comes. it is God work and nothing more.
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by TheRareGem1(f): 8:51am On Dec 14, 2021
Will this "my participation" by Akande change people's perspective before 2023 election? Only time will tell
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Nbotee(m): 8:53am On Dec 14, 2021
All dis ones na cock and Bull story...

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by alanto: 8:58am On Dec 14, 2021
Leverage2021:
Tinubu is really an insensitive greedy bigot

He had no choice than to go for a Yoruba Christian and the fact he went for yemi that was his hand bag shows how much he needed pawns to control

Naturally there was fayemi and other big ranking Yoruba Christian he could have chosen

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by maybanks: 9:05am On Dec 14, 2021
What ever the case or narrative is, Osinbajo still remains my Candidate
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 9:11am On Dec 14, 2021
alanto:
I am a zombie
zombie you mean the foolishness of bullion van that says he doesn't trust buhari again

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 9:12am On Dec 14, 2021
TheRareGem1:
Will this "my participation" by Akande change people's perspective before 2023 election? Only time will tell
"my participation" is a lamentation to buhari for succor

It has no leading to the masses because buhari is been begged now to even allow tinubu fly apc ticket

As buhari remains unperturbed it means tinubu haven't reached market let alone display his wares to masses

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by alanto: 9:16am On Dec 14, 2021
Leverage2021:
zombie you mean the foolishness of bullion van that says he doesn't trust buhari again

1 Share

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 9:17am On Dec 14, 2021
Maxymilliano:

The nomination of Osibanjo to deputize General Buhari in 2015 was to checkmate Buhari's glaring preference for Pastor Tunde Bakare as it was obvious a GMB/Tinubu ticket may spell doom for the newly formed party. The nomination was highly influenced by Tinubu and not any APC national leaders.

The same bakare they were trying to shut out because of greed might even end up flying apc ticket

Tinubu right now has nobody from his camp to give buhari, infact buhari has dismantled his negotiating table

Only his cpc arm control apc and it can annoint bakare if forced to go with a Yoruba christian

3 Likes

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Advocate500: 9:27am On Dec 14, 2021
This Akande book have badly positioned the west against the greater south ,especially with 2023 in sight. Tinubu was using the entire region for his own advantage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Tboymessiah(m): 10:30am On Dec 14, 2021
Leverage2021:
The same bakare they were trying to shut out because of greed might even end up flying apc ticket

Tinubu right now has nobody from his camp to give buhari, infact buhari has dismantled his negotiating table

Only his cpc arm control apc and it can annoint bakare if forced to go with a Yoruba christian

Baba u are talking sense here, that's why I dey like to dey follow u just to dey gain from ur wise words.

3 Likes

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by saintmm(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2021
Leverage2021:

I would have agreed with you, but, based on tested loyalty and understanding of the scheme of things coupled with ease of marketability, I see Buhari preferring Osinbajo to Bakare if he chose to support Southwest.
But Tinubu will be a no no to him for so many reasons.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 12:03pm On Dec 14, 2021
saintmm:

I would have agreed with you, but, based on tested loyalty and understanding of the scheme of things coupled with ease of marketability, I see Buhari preferring Osinbajo to Bakare if he chose to support Southwest.
Now let's be objective

Osinbajo doesn't really have a political backbone, his backbone remains the tinubu led structure.

If Buhari gives him power it's the same as giving tinubu power, because tinubu would be the cabal coaching him.

They would completely sideline buhari and his cpc group, the game is to give a non tinubu ally the post, someone like bakare hates tinubu guys

Such a person without structure buhari can offer that backbone to him with his base so they can keep government to themselves.

Same thing with ameachi, (not pdp not acn) he can allign well with buhari group and win

This is what fayemi saw that is making him disassociate from tinubu, because to buhari it's about keeping tinubu away from power

Remember how he has been treating osinbajo since like a mole, it's because of tinubu and overnight love won't start by giving osinbajo presidency

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by ShobayoEmma(m): 2:36pm On Dec 14, 2021
2033 headlines: Former President of Nigeria, Yemi Osinbajo.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by saintmm(m): 10:04pm On Dec 14, 2021
Leverage2021:
Now let's be objective

Osinbajo doesn't really have a political backbone, his backbone remains the tinubu led structure.

If Buhari gives him power it's the same as giving tinubu power, because tinubu would be the cabal coaching him.

They would completely sideline buhari and his cpc group, the game is to give a non tinubu ally the post, someone like bakare hates tinubu guys

Such a person without structure buhari can offer that backbone to him with his base so they can keep government to themselves.

Same thing with ameachi, (not pdp not acn) he can allign well with buhari group and win

This is what fayemi saw that is making him disassociate from tinubu, because to buhari it's about keeping tinubu away from power

Remember how he has been treating osinbajo since like a mole, it's because of tinubu and overnight love won't start by giving osinbajo presidency
You made so many valid points. Which are very interesting. Meanwhile, if Amaechi is supported by Buhari, I will totally agree with you. But, to be candid, apart from acn and cpc blocks of APC, every other ones had been seriously weakened, and unfortunately, cpc block alone in APC cannot win the presidency in 2023 neither is acn alone can likewise this is the reason Tinubu cannot pull out of APC now. Bakare has never been seen as a politician rather an activist, these people don't do well in government examples abound, also, he has no platform apart from his congregations, capability is another issue that will be considered by same minds.
Don't forget, PDP is giving the ticket to a northerner in which if Buhari support a total political neophyte like Bakare, then, the election will be PDP to lose rigging will not do the magic.
So, if he's supporting the south, then, a politically weak, but, capable and a technocrat acn will do the magic.
Believe you me the only candidate in the south that can beat PDP North's candidate is either Tinubu or Osinbajo if not they should consider north of they want to win.
I appreciate your analysis
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Napoleondegreat: 11:27pm On Dec 14, 2021
I have always loved Yemi Osibanjo since I discovered he is very intelligent
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by Leverage2021: 6:33am On Dec 15, 2021
saintmm:

You made so many valid points. Which are very interesting. Meanwhile, if Amaechi is supported by Buhari, I will totally agree with you. But, to be candid, apart from acn and cpc blocks of APC, every other ones had been seriously weakened, and unfortunately, cpc block alone in APC cannot win the presidency in 2023 neither is acn alone can likewise this is the reason Tinubu cannot pull out of APC now. Bakare has never been seen as a politician rather an activist, these people don't do well in government examples abound, also, he has no platform apart from his congregations, capability is another issue that will be considered by same minds.
Don't forget, PDP is giving the ticket to a northerner in which if Buhari support a total political neophyte like Bakare, then, the election will be PDP to lose rigging will not do the magic.
So, if he's supporting the south, then, a politically weak, but, capable and a technocrat acn will do the magic.
Believe you me the only candidate in the south that can beat PDP North's candidate is either Tinubu or Osinbajo if not they should consider north of they want to win.
your points is interesting too

But believe me buhari doesn't see politics as you see it, he has lost so many states after 2019 and isn't bothered.

The Tinubu that used to strategize even the rigging with oshomole has been kicked out, so Buhari is just there lifeless with nonchalance as always in everything.

It won't stop him from wanting his own candidate to succeed him, he doesn't give a bleep whether he fails in anything, so long as power would return to a northernern in PDP at worst.

Is acn group really still involved in APC?

The final shock that Tinubu would receive in 2023 would be the last that makes all his acn people to just ignore helping buhari (exactly why PDP is winning 2023).

This is why many pulling out of APC are already saying Buhari would bury it patapata.

Nepotism, loyalty comes first to buhari before political strategy, and he has all the aces now, for sure Tinubu won't allow him to use him as always in 2023 when he realizes the reason he has been joining can never be given him
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by helinues: 6:34am On Dec 15, 2021
Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by saintmm(m): 12:18pm On Dec 15, 2021
Leverage2021:

But believe me buhari doesn't see politics as you see it, he has lost so many states after 2019 and isn't bothered.

The Tinubu that used to strategize even the rigging with oshomole has been kicked out, so Buhari is just there lifeless with nonchalance as always in everything.

It won't stop him from wanting his own candidate to succeed him, he doesn't give a bleep whether he fails in anything, so long as power would return to a northernern in PDP at worst.

The final shock that Tinubu would receive in 2023 would be the last that makes all his acn people to just ignore helping buhari (exactly why PDP is winning 2023).

This is why many pulling out of APC are already saying Buhari would bury it patapata.

Nepotism, loyalty comes first to buhari before political strategy, and he has all the aces now, for sure Tinubu won't allow him to use him as always in 2023 when he realizes the reason he has been joining can never be given him
A very sane mind on nairaland!
I really understand your line of thought.
Ok let's wait and see how things pan out. Hope to resume this intelligent discussion when things are getting clearer.
So loving debating with you.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Trails Akande’s Account Of Osinbajo’s Emergence As VP by MikkieEl: 12:50pm On Dec 15, 2021
Maxymilliano:

Leverage2021:

saintmm:

Leverage2021:
Now let's be objective

saintmm:

Leverage2021:

saintmm:

A very sane mind on nairaland!
I really understand your line of thought.
Ok let's wait and see how things pan out. Hope to resume this intelligent discussion when things are getting clearer.
So loving debating with you.

See mature and intelligent analysis devoid of tantrums and insults. cool

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu: With What I Did In Lagos, I Have The Capacity To Rule Nigeria / Breaking News! Finally He Announce His Preferred Presidential Candidate. / 4 Categories Of People Against Asiwaju 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.