Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? (947 Views)

US, Germany Sending Battle Tanks To Back Ukraine War Effort / Ukrainian Troops Destroy Russian Convoy Of Tanks / Taliban ‘Victory Force’ Parade With US Tanks & Guns( Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 8:39pm On Dec 16, 2021
The most advanced Russian Main battle tank is the T-14 Armata. But since there aren't many, and it's yet to see combat, I'll be going with their second most advanced against the US most advanced

Russian T-90Ms

VS

United States' M1A2 Abrams

Both in their most upgraded version.

Who comes out alive?
#NoRoomForBias

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 8:43pm On Dec 16, 2021
Emae009
I know you'll end up being biased, as always, but go on, go on. Let's have it.
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by Unruly7(m): 8:59pm On Dec 16, 2021
Anyone that first get correct hit wins

Drips pen

1 Like

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by emae009(m): 9:46pm On Dec 16, 2021
MangekyoAlt:
Emae009
I know you'll end up being biased, as always, but go on, go on. Let's have it.

with their latest upgrades, both are similar. it will likely come down to the skillset of the crews

1 Like

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 12:08am On Dec 17, 2021
Unruly7:
Anyone that first get correct hit wins

Drips pen
emae009:

with their latest upgrades, both are similar. it will likely come down to the skillset of the crews
It would be an easy win for the T-90.

1 Like

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by olugabbie(m): 5:40am On Dec 17, 2021
MangekyoAlt:
The most advanced Russian Main battle tank is the T-14 Armata. But since there aren't many, and it's yet to see combat, I'll be going with their second most advanced against the US most advanced

Russian T-90Ms

VS

Who comes out alive?
#NoRoomForBias
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by olugabbie(m): 5:43am On Dec 17, 2021
MangekyoAlt:

Russian T-90Ms

VS

Who comes out alive?
#NoRoomForBias

The Abraham tank is more advanced. But a lots of Saudis Abraham tanks were destroyed in Yemen. Infact the billions of dollars Saudi spent buying US weapon didn't reflect in the Yemen war. The Houtis Rebel destroys Saudis tanks & MRAPs with ease. The only advantage the Saudis enjoy is air power.
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 7:40am On Dec 17, 2021
olugabbie:

The Abraham tank is more advanced. But a lots of Saudis Abraham tanks were destroyed in Yemen. Infact the billions of dollars Saudi spent buying US weapon didn't reflect in the Yemen war. The Houtis Rebel destroys Saudis tanks & MRAPs with ease. The only advantage the Saudis enjoy is air power.
How is the Abrams tank more advanced? Do you even know what you're saying? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by Simeonjoe1: 10:45am On Dec 17, 2021
I dey come

Power to weight ratio
The T-90. Wins
But the m1a2 feature an auxiliary power unit. Which can power important components even when the engine is off or knock out in a fight. This can greatly reduce its thermal profile hence difficult to detect, an advantage over the t90.

Protection
In times of armor both might be on par.
In overall protection the m1a2 clearly wins as it's fitted with the more advanced Isreali trophy system(which is already proven in conflict) . The Russia aps is grossly ineffective as missile test has shown its limited capabilities and many Syrian t90 fitted with the aps were filmed destroyed by isis and rebels.

Survivability
The m1a2 wins this round as its has a blow back where rounds are stored so if hit it can readily blow out reducing damage to crew.
The t90 on the other hand feature the old traditional Russian design though some rounds are also fitted in an external blow hatch, other rounds feeding into the autoloader are stored in the crew compartment.

Targeting system
The m1a2 clearly win this round as it's has more advanced avionics and targeting system. Also feature 3rd generation thermal system. Has an independent commander thermal sight with link to gunner imaging. Also feature a HD large touch screen.
The t90 is fitted with western made thermal imaging and targeting system as the Russian are yet to perfect their targeting technology.
The t90 also feature independent commander thermal imaging and direct datalink btw commander and gunner a new capability the Russian are just introducing but the US has been using this for decades. Note that weapon systems and doctrines goes hand in hand and you requires years of experience and improvement of weapon systems to perfect handling. Which shows the US clearly has the advantage has they have been improving this capabilities over the years so the Russian has some catch up to do.

Networking
The latest m1a2 feature extensive network btw various platforms of the battlefield including F35 stealth fighter, drones, other western tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles and even APC like the striker. This offer a blue-red situation and complete awareness of the battlefield. A capability the t90 clearly lack.
You'll agree that mission success depends on complete awareness and superior surveillance has already won you 4/10 of the battle a capability the m1a2 will capitalize on.

Weapon system
The t90 slightly wins with its cannon cannon launched ATGM with longer range. But with the low speed m1a2 fitted trophy system is expected to counter this. Also turret launched ATGM has shown limited importance as most t vs t fight has been known to happen at distance were both tank high kinetic projectile is effective.
The m1a2 round is equipped with the latest Depleted uranium shell meant to defeat the latest Russian armor.
The t90 is also known to incorporate effective DU shells though its capabilities not fully known.

FINAL
in a 1 vs 1 encounter it boils down to crew expense and luck. The m1a2 has increased changes of detecting first and firing the first rounds. It also has increase accuracy and probability of placing around directly on target. But still it still down to the skills of the crew.
In one recent drills involving tanks from various countries. While western tanks have a perfect score for long distance shot while on the move, the Russian tank has a deficit as it accuracy doesn't match up with its western counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by RoyalBoutique(m): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2021
Russian tank will beat the US tank hands down na, haba
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by emae009(m): 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2021
MangekyoAlt:

It would be an easy win for the T-90.

sure why don't we award the winner to the paper tiger over the combat proven rival.
Good choice
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 8:44pm On Dec 17, 2021
emae009:

sure don't we award the winner to the paper tiger over the combat proven rival.
Good choice
Both are combat proven
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by emae009(m): 8:57pm On Dec 17, 2021
MangekyoAlt:

Both are combat proven

T-90 is
T-90MS isn't
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
emae009:

T-90 is
T-90MS isn't
Is T-90ms a new tank? It is an upgraded/Patched T-90. Since when does an upgraded version of an equipment perform less than the original version?
T-90ms came with upgraded armor, shooting accuracy, mobility etc, while also correcting some defects. It is stated that it is miles better than even the T-90s, not to talk of T-90.

Meanwhile, T-90 >> M1a2 Abrams. With this, it is obvious M1A2 wouldnt stand a chance at all against t-90ms or even t-90s

1 Like

Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by Simeonjoe1: 6:19am On Dec 18, 2021
MangekyoAlt:

Is T-90ms a new tank? It is an upgraded/Patched T-90. Since when does an upgraded version of an equipment perform less than the original version?
T-90ms came with upgraded armor, shooting accuracy, mobility etc, while also correcting some defects. It is stated that it is miles better than even the T-90s, not to talk of T-90.

Meanwhile, T-90 >> M1a2 Abrams. With this, it is obvious M1A2 wouldnt stand a chance at all against t-90ms or even t-90s

Outline major system and tell us why it's better.
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 9:49am On Dec 18, 2021
Simeonjoe1:

Outline major system and tell us why it's better.
I'll do later pls. I'm not at home now
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2021
Simeonjoe1
Aye, so what were you saying mate?
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by Simeonjoe1: 7:17am On Dec 19, 2021
MangekyoAlt:
Simeonjoe1
Aye, so what were you saying mate?

You are yet to state a comprehensive comparison
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2021
Simeonjoe1:

I've been busy lately
Anyway, let me quickly drop something so that you can have the time to counter me, while I'm off.

Before I tell you why I think the t-90ms would win effortlessly, let me enlighten you on the capabilities of the Russian Anti Tank Guided Missiles call kornet. The kornet has successfully penetrated the armors of some of the most advanced tanks in the world. The M1a2 Abrams, Leopard 2 etc

Now that is that.

Now before I start my comparison, I just want to make sure if you knw that the m1a2 is a heavy tank, with the T-90 being a medium tank.

Which means, the M1A2 is heavier, bigger, and supppsedly packs more armor than the t-90, which is medium.

While the t-90 has lesser armor than the M1A2, it makes it less easier to transport, can move on all terrain effortlessly, it can even move on all bridges, which the m1a2 can't because of the weight. The mobility is far better and it doesn't need a very powerful engine that would move a very heavy tank like the Abrams tank. It also doesn't burn fuel like the M1A2. Also, the m1a2 would find it extremely difficult to move on snow and sand environment.

That is that. Now to why I would pick the t-90ms to win. The t-90ms is smaller. Which means the m1a2 Abrams would find it a little more difficult to aim at. The t-90ms also has 6 smoke grenades on each side of the tank. These smoke grenades when fired, would make EXTREMELY difficult for the m1a2 or any other tank to aim or get a hit.

Well how about its durability? The T-90 has taken a direct hit from an American anti tank guided missile, known as TOW, and survived pretty easily. All the crews survived.

Plesse note that, the t-90 that took that hit and survived was the very first version that was created in the 80s. If the American TOW, couldn't penetrated the t-90, it means the t-90ms or even the t-90s would bounce off the missile easily.

Now go to the M1A2. The m1a2 though should have more armor than the t-90 since it's a heavy tank, was obliterated when it was hit by a Russian made kornet anti tank missile
The anti tank missile was even the old kornet that was produced in the 60s. So it seems, the supposedly "heavy" Abrams tanks isn't as durable as they made us believe. I mean the t-90 literally tanked a missile from TOW, which is the USA's anti tank missile.

Now, why I would stake my money on the t-90. The T-90 tank possess ATGM (Anti Tank Guides Missiles) in its main cannon. The missile that the t-90 packs, is even more deadlier than the one equipped in the kornet ATGM.

The kornet ATGM missile obliterated a US M1A2. The t-90 is equipped with a more advanced ATGM than the kornet which obliterated the m1a2. With this, the only way the m1a2 would win is if the crews of the t-90 lack experience, as a single shot from the t-90 would easily take down the m1a2.

The M1A2 would have to have at least 3 direct hits on the t-90 before it can be put out.
The t-90 is smaller (harder to aim) and is equipped with 6 smoke grenades on both side, which would make it even more difficult for the Abrams to get any direct hit. The arguably faster t-90 would've had a direct hit on the M1A2 Abrams with the ATGM before that happens.

M1A2 gets obliterated!
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 1:27pm On Dec 19, 2021
Simeonjoe1:

You can go watch the t-90 taking a direct hit from the US TOW missile in YouTube. It is there.

Also, you can watch the Abrams getting obliterated by the Russian kornet in this website https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3898918/amp/Video-shows-Russian-missile-fired-ISIS-completely-obliterate-tank-Iraq-showing-vulnerable-American-armored-vehicles-battlefield.html
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by Simeonjoe1: 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2021
MangekyoAlt:

I've been busy lately
Anyway, let me quickly drop something so that you can have the time to counter me, while I'm off.

Before I tell you why I think the t-90ms would win effortlessly, let me enlighten you on the capabilities of the Russian Anti Tank Guided Missiles call kornet. The kornet has successfully penetrated the armors of some of the most advanced tanks in the world. The M1a2 Abrams, Leopard 2 etc

Now that is that.

Now before I start my comparison, I just want to make sure if you knw that the m1a2 is a heavy tank, with the T-90 being a medium tank.

Which means, the M1A2 is heavier, bigger, and supppsedly packs more armor than the t-90, which is medium.

While the t-90 has lesser armor than the M1A2, it makes it less easier to transport, can move on all terrain effortlessly, it can even move on all bridges, which the m1a2 can't because of the weight. The mobility is far better and it doesn't need a very powerful engine that would move a very heavy tank like the Abrams tank. It also doesn't burn fuel like the M1A2. Also, the m1a2 would find it extremely difficult to move on snow and sand environment.

That is that. Now to why I would pick the t-90ms to win. The t-90ms is smaller. Which means the m1a2 Abrams would find it a little more difficult to aim at. The t-90ms also has 6 smoke grenades on each side of the tank. These smoke grenades when fired, would make EXTREMELY difficult for the m1a2 or any other tank to aim or get a hit.

Well how about its durability? The T-90 has taken a direct hit from an American anti tank guided missile, known as TOW, and survived pretty easily. All the crews survived.

Plesse note that, the t-90 that took that hit and survived was the very first version that was created in the 80s. If the American TOW, couldn't penetrated the t-90, it means the t-90ms or even the t-90s would bounce off the missile easily.

Now go to the M1A2. The m1a2 though should have more armor than the t-90 since it's a heavy tank, was obliterated when it was hit by a Russian made kornet anti tank missile
The anti tank missile was even the old kornet that was produced in the 60s. So it seems, the supposedly "heavy" Abrams tanks isn't as durable as they made us believe. I mean the t-90 literally tanked a missile from TOW, which is the USA's anti tank missile.

Now, why I would stake my money on the t-90. The T-90 tank possess ATGM (Anti Tank Guides Missiles) in its main cannon. The missile that the t-90 packs, is even more deadlier than the one equipped in the kornet ATGM.

The kornet ATGM missile obliterated a US M1A2. The t-90 is equipped with a more advanced ATGM than the kornet which obliterated the m1a2. With this, the only way the m1a2 would win is if the crews of the t-90 lack experience, as a single shot from the t-90 would easily take down the m1a2.

The M1A2 would have to have at least 3 direct hits on the t-90 before it can be put out.
The t-90 is smaller (harder to aim) and is equipped with 6 smoke grenades on both side, which would make it even more difficult for the Abrams to get any direct hit. The arguably faster t-90 would've had a direct hit on the M1A2 Abrams with the ATGM before that happens.

M1A2 gets obliterated!

Well concerning the tow missile hit, one thing is that combats are unpredictable and sometimes luck a tank might survive an atgm and that same variant of tank might be completely obliterated by the same atgm. There are many factors to consider, speed, weather conditions, point of impact etc. Even still many Syria T-90 have been filmed to be destroyed in action even alzeibajan t90.

That said in times of targeting and firecontrol the Abram comes top and note that the profile of the t90 is not that small - its a large tank also so the Abram should have no difficulty detecting it. Even with the smokescreen the Abram still employs a 3rd generation advanced thermal system with can't be fooled by smoke. The thing is most tanks have multiple targeting system so if you employ counter measures against one they make use of the other, the Abram also have smoke grenade so it's nothing new (can only be effective against laser guided missiles).

Concerning the atgm launched by the t90. The US army once tested a tank launched missile but later scraped it because most times it's been found thar engage btw tanks happens in ranges well below the effectiveness of the tank shell, also atgm projectiles are quite slow and for longer range target it will take a lot of time for travel which will require the tank to be steady to effectively guide it to target hence making it a sitting duck against counter offensive.
The Russia launch atgm speed is well below 350m/s so it's an easy piece for the proven trophy APS which the America are now fitting to the new Abram.
. Like I mentioned earlier the clear winner will be who detect first and take the first shot (which the Abram comes first).
Also note in engaging the t90 the Abram won't make use of atgm but direct kinetic rounds (which is very deadly even to the most protected tanks). DU rounds are very effective, there's currently no counter measures against them as any tank who hit who first is sure to achieve a penetration but a kill, probably not.
Most tank are destroyed due to the penetration rod igniting stored ammunition inside the tank and as I've highlighted this is one major shortcoming of the t90 which means it has more chance of being destroyed when if penetrated
Re: Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? by MangekyoAlt: 5:14pm On Dec 20, 2021
Simeonjoe1:

Well concerning the tow missile hit, one thing is that combats are unpredictable and sometimes luck a tank might survive an atgm and that same variant of tank might be completely obliterated by the same atgm.

Did you even watch the videos I recommended to you? What you said was totally wrong. The t-90 tank was hit by a US TOW missile on its rare armor, not even the front armor. In this scenario, if the t-90 was vulnerable, it would've been obliterated since we all know most of the armors in tanks are focused on the front armor. Have you played any CoH Game? You would've known this is you did.

Try to watch those two videos again. You would notice that the missile that hit the t-90 was far faster. It was fired from a decent distance. The same cannot be said for the M1 Abrams that was obliterated by an arguably slower missile.

The m1 Abrams tank given its a heavy tank, should've done ALOT better than getting obliterated first hit it got from a missile that was fired close range

There are many factors to consider, speed, weather conditions, point of impact etc. Even still many Syria T-90 have been filmed to be destroyed in action even alzeibajan t90.

Speed, the T-90 is faster since it is 48 tons compared to the m1 that is almost 70.
The T-90 is an all whether tank. Point of impact? That video showed you the t-90 taking a direct hit to the rare armor and survived!

T-90 tanks have been lost in Syria? Please I need a source! To my knowledge, there aren't more than 5 t-90 tanks that have been lost since its creation in the 80s. Meanwhile, more than 500 m1 Abrams tanks have been shipped back to the US for repairs, excluding the ones that were demolished beyond saving.

That said in times of targeting and firecontrol the Abram comes top
how does that ABRAMS come top? Both are 3rr generation tanks!
and note that the profile of the t90 is not that small[ - its a large tank also so the Abram should have no difficulty detecting it.
it is Hella small compares to the Abrams! There's a difference between a smalll tank, a medium tank, and a heavy tank! The sizes are one of the difference that can be spotted at first sight. The m1 Abrams would find it more difficult targeting it than it would on heavy tanks. Also, most of the allied countries of the USA make us of heavy tanks and not medium and light tanks.

Even with the smokescreen the Abram still employs a 3rd generation advanced thermal system with can't be fooled by smoke.
apparently, you 100% believe the experienced military manufactures who actually deployed grenades to the tanks are complete idiots since it's of no use, do you? That would be extremely stupid of you if you did.
The thing is most tanks have multiple targeting system so if you employ counter measures against one they make use of the other, the Abram also have smoke grenade so it's nothing new (can only be effective against laser guided missiles).

Concerning the atgm launched by the t90. The US army once tested a tank launched missile but later scraped it because most times it's been found thar engage btw tanks happens in ranges well below the effectiveness of the tank shell
can I have the source for this? Thanks,

also atgm projectiles are quite slow and for longer range target it will take a lot of time for travel which will require the tank to be steady to effectively guide it to target hence making it a sitting duck against counter offensive.

Yes, quite slow. But we saw it EFFECTIVELY obliterating an Abrams tanks.
No, it wouldn't be a sitting duck for a counter offensive, since all that would be required for the t-90 is to stay off the range of the Abrams tank and get a hit, since it does have more range with its ATGM.

The Russia launch atgm speed is well below 350m/s so it's an easy piece for the proven trophy APS which the America are now fitting to the new Abram.
Russian ATGM speed is well below 350 meters per second? Can I have a source please? Thank you

. Like I mentioned earlier the clear winner will be who detect first and take the first shot (which the Abram comes first).
if it is who takes the first shot wins, then the t-90 should win fairly easily. The t-90ms ATGM frange is 5000 meters. The m1a2 would get hit and obliterated before it even knows what hit it. Also, the m1a2 would have to get to at least a range of 3500 meters before it can get a hit on a t-90 ms. So what you're saying, I don't know where you're getting them.

Also note in engaging the t90 the Abram won't make use of atgm but direct kinetic rounds (which is very deadly even to the most protected tanks)
it would 100% make use of the ATGM especially if the m1a2 is in a range that only the ATGM missile can travel to which is 5000m.

DU rounds are very effective, there's currently no counter measures against them as any tank who hit who first is sure to achieve a penetration but a kill, probably not.
The t-90 uses Era armor which is extremely effective. I see it countering whatever the m1 throws at it. Except maybe it's artillery, which of course cannot be fired from any range less than 3.5km. Meanwhile, t-90 possess a far bigger gun than the m1a2. Which should mean the range is also better than it

Most tank are destroyed due to the penetration rod igniting stored ammunition inside the tank and as I've highlighted this is one major shortcoming of the t90 which means it has more chance of being destroyed when if penetrated
True but in a 1vs1 battle, the chances of the t-90ms getting penerated is far far lower than the m1a2. The ATG missiles that the t-90 packs is . m1 doesn't stand a chance at all since it's shown its vulnerability to anti tank missiles which t-90 possess. You trying to brush off its capability doesn't in anyway change this fact. An m1 Abram was destroyed from a kornet missile at range less than 100m. The ATGM installed on the t-90 can be shot from a range of >5km.
You trying to say the APS would do well against the ATGM doesn't help at all seeing how it didn't survive from more than a hit from the kornet missile. T-90ms takes it without even firing any kinetic round from its main cannon

(1) (Reply)

The Ghost Of Kyiv is Dead - The Times / Analysis: U.s. Bends The Rules Of Free Markets / Obama; Experince Nonesenseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.