Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? (1103 Views)

Meet 3 Female Nigerian Mechanics Who Shuttle Between School And Work(photos) / UNN, UNILAG & OAU Are The Best In Law School Results / Four UNN Students That Made First Class At The Nigerian Law School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 16, 2021
Good day my people.

I just graduated as a law student from a prestigious state university and I'm currently a corper. I can't say I have passion for the course I read in school, I just want to make money and become successful.

Presently, I'm contemplating on whether I should save up and go to law school from my nysc "allawee" or learn any tech skill. Why I thought of this, is because I felt I'm wasting my time reading a course of six yrs, I don't know how this course will earn me enough money to pursue other endeavours and settle "wahala" in my life. Also with Nigeria's poor economy and how competitive to get a job as a lawyer(too much lawyers), I decided to probably forgo law school and learn any tech skill.

Is this a right decision? If yes, which tech skill should I learn?

Thanks for your responses.
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by isaiah4life(m): 8:49pm On Dec 16, 2021
OP, everything is not money. Let money not be your driving force in life. If you keep chasing it, you will lose it.

From what you typed, you are not even passionate about the tech world. You are drawn to it because of the profit prospect.

OP, I suggest you look inward and find what you are passionate about and chase it without relenting.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by ahmthankgod(m): 8:49pm On Dec 16, 2021
Am gonna stop you there... Why? Why would you go for a course you're not too interested in? That's bad. Secondly learning tech skills is great especially machine learning and web development. You'll do great in that skill

2 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Hashabiah: 8:52pm On Dec 16, 2021
Baba , go for what gives you joy and never settle for less . Besides, having tech skills these days is worth investing your time and money in it because it will give you the financial freedom you're looking for .
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Eriokanmi: 8:54pm On Dec 16, 2021
Pray about it. Don't just take a decision on your own or listen to homosapiens generation. Let God lead you. All the best

1 Like

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 16, 2021
isaiah4life:
OP, everything is not money. Let money not be your driving force in life. If you keep chasing it, you will lose it.

From what you typed, you are not even passionate about the tech world. You are drawn to it because of the profit prospect in it.

OP, I suggest you look inward and find what you are passionate about and chase it without relenting.

I honestly don't know what I'm passionate about, I just want to be successful. Also "looking inward" now, there is no time.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 16, 2021
Hashabiah:
Baba , go for what gives you joy and never settle for less . Besides, having tech skills these days is worth investing your time and money in it because it will give you the financial freedom you're looking for .

OK thanks
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by jesmond3945: 9:36pm On Dec 16, 2021
AGurlnoname:

I honestly don't know what I'm passionate about, I just want to be successful. Also "looking inward" now, there is no time.
to make it in tech you have to clear your brain and start reading programming books that would make you reason and think like a programmer.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by BabbanBura(m): 12:18am On Dec 17, 2021
AGurlnoname:
Good day my people.

I just graduated as a law student from a prestigious state university and I'm currently a corper. I can't say I have passion for the course I read in school, I just want to make money and become successful.

Presently, I'm contemplating on whether I should save up and go to law school from my nysc "allawee" or learn any tech skill. Why I thought of this, is because I felt I'm wasting my time reading a course of six yrs, I don't know how this course will earn me enough money to pursue other endeavours and settle "wahala" in my life. Also with Nigeria's poor economy and how competitive to get a job as a lawyer(too much lawyers), I decided to probably forgo law school and learn any tech skill.

Wow, you raised valid points albeit very late, should have been considered before commencing your degree program.

I will call u to discuss a few things as a way forward.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Frenchkiss564: 6:27am On Dec 17, 2021
A colleague won a coding competition as a law student. She's currently a lawyer and a programmer who works in both capacity for startups.

I suggest you combine the two, come back from law school as a lawyer and go for your tech things. You may want to look into tech law, data protection and regulatory compliance. That's the next goldmine.

Best wishes

9 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by LordIsaac(m): 7:10am On Dec 17, 2021
I'm surprised sef about how he went for NYSC before law school.
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 17, 2021
Frenchkiss564:
A colleague won a coding competition as a law student. She's currently a lawyer and a programmer who works in both capacity for startups.

I suggest you combine the two, come back from law school as a lawyer and go for your tech things. You may want to look into tech law, data protection and regulatory compliance. That's the next goldmine.

Best wishes

Wow, thanks.
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Muchmore024: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 25, 2021
Muchmore024:

Follow your passion. You can enroll in a tech school in Abuja but it's mostly expensive. I'm currently a corper in Abuja and I studied engineering but I switch to coding recently and I'm still in learning stage and I am not regretting it. Try and get some tech course on udemy or Coursera like I did. But law is lucrative here in Abuja tho if you know your way. Ur current law firm PPA shld be a motivation for u since u said u are a corper or maybe it's a small law firm u were posted to? Or you can try and japa from Nigeria if you have sponsors.

I serve in a ministry and I don't have sponsors.

Thanks for the advice.
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Yourregularugly(f): 12:54pm On Dec 25, 2021
AGurlnoname:
Good day my people.

You don't *need* to abandon law school to learn a tech skill. You can do both. I'm in medical school and I have various digital skills I use to make money online.
You can learn freelancing to make it easy to balance your time if you have any skills to offer, or learn how to sell books on Amazon
It's very possible
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Maj196(m): 12:59pm On Dec 25, 2021
AGurlnoname:
Good day my people.

Do you have what it takes to succeed in Tech? Everyone wants to learn Tech but they don't know what it takes. If you just want to make fast money my dear just stick to Law because you will get frustrated. If you can persevere then go for it. Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 25, 2021
Yourregularugly:

You don't *need* to abandon law school to learn a tech skill. You can do both. I'm in medical school and I have various digital skills I use to make money online.
You can learn freelancing to make it easy to balance your time if you have any skills to offer, or learn how to sell books on Amazon
It's very possible

Okay, thanks so much.
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Muchmore024: 4:04pm On Dec 25, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 25, 2021
Muchmore024:

Hw many months left. Why not change ur ppa to a law firm where u will get d experience. At least u will have the zeal to push on to law school. Getting a admission to graduate school in US or Canada is something u can do urself and u will get assistantship for full school fees. U will only need sponsors for ur ticket and other stuffs. Anyways just do your thing
.I wish you well

Okay, thanks so much. I really appreciate your advice
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by chariisGRACE(m): 5:18pm On Dec 25, 2021
Law in a lawless country... abeg go learn Tech.

1 Like

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Khiaaa(f): 3:07am On Dec 27, 2021
LordIsaac:
I'm surprised sef about how he went for NYSC before law school.
na this comment I just dey wait for.
Can you imagine such lies she peddled.
She no be any law student or graduate jare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Fembleez1(m): 10:32am On Dec 27, 2021
Khiaaa:

There is no lie in there. ASUU made everything this way and some schools that admit more than Law School Quota.

Myself, I just graduated from FED. School, and my school was unable to register us for this Session law school, so we'll have to wait a year to go with next session Law School Admission.

We've therefore been advised to go for NYSC, if we so wish, before next Law School admission.

If that is not the case either, many indigent students who can't afford Law School immediately, are often advised same, so as to save up for Law School.

The only handicap there is that you won't be able to practice as a lawyer while serving.

1 Like

Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by khiaa(f): 4:33am On Dec 31, 2021
[s]
Khiaaa:
[/s]
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by khiaa(f): 4:43am On Dec 31, 2021
[s][s]
Khiaaa:
[/s][/s]
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by Xenisha: 11:35am On May 30, 2022
Recently, my child started taking lessons with a tutor at https://law-mind.co.uk/lnat-tutoring-1-1-lnat-tutors/ . And he simply surprised me with his knowledge, it turns out that it is easier for him to study alone than in the classroom, he began to read more and learn new things. Since I cannot give him enough control over his studies, we decided to start with a tutor before entering law school.
Re: Should I Forgo Law School And Learn Any Tech Skill? by OfficialSam(m): 3:54pm On May 30, 2022
Frenchkiss564:

Best wishes

Nice one!

(1) (Reply)

Covenant Admission / Please I Need Help! / University Of Ado Ekiti Post Ume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.